Arcadia......

Cosmic Rays

I read several posts stating that Arcadia is looking tired and in need of refurbishment. Before giving P&O the 'thumbs up' with a second cruise, this time on Arcadia - first an Azura repo in March which was not very good except for the weather, is one planned? If so, where should I look to find out more please.

We have cruised several times with other Carnival brands, so aren't newbies!!

I read several posts stating that Arcadia is looking tired and in need of refurbishment. Before giving P&O the 'thumbs up' with a second cruise, this time on Arcadia - first an Azura repo in March which was not very good except for the weather, is one planned? If so, where should I look to find out more please.

We have cruised several times with other Carnival brands, so aren't newbies!!

My understanding from recent cruisers are that the reports are way off mark.

Gan Canny

Dai

Arcadia is a lovely ship, one of our favourites. We have sailed on her 3 times.

You will love her. She has a Crow's Nest lounge/bar at the top front of the ship with marvellow views out to sea. She has loads of lovely places to sit quietly on sea days, if that is what you want. Her sun decks are great too. I suggest you just go for it, don't believe everything you read.

It just missed out on its refit only last year thanks to Oriana needing more time. As a result it was in dire need of attention during its 2012 Grand Odyssey which I was on in February. It was in need of lots of repairs and was showing its age considerably.

Throughout the voyage all the handrails on the promenade deck were removed, taken away revarnished and replaced looking brand new. New rolls of carpet would arrive in various ports and would be laid throughout the voyage. So allot of the repairs were done during its service. The ship needed a hull paint job as it had a allot of rust on it and the balcony hand rails needed doing. I am not sure if these were done. On the upper decks some of the spas were leaking and some did not work at all (a common theme with all P&O ships). Around the public rooms there were various water leaks from the cealing with large potholes in the carpets where the water had leaked.

The main restaurant was fine as was the theatre, globe and other bars and lounges. The Orchid bar looked brand new as did the Spinnaker bar. Palladium theatre still looked and felt new. Crows nest was in excellent condition. I had a great trip on it for 31 nights back in February. Despire the noticable areas that needed repair the ship coped fine. There was ongoing maintenance being done during the voyage. My cabin had torn wallpaper on the corners, scuff marks in the bathroom and often ran out of hot water.

Sutho said:

Around the public rooms there were various water leaks from the cealing with large potholes in the carpets where the water had leaked.

Sutho, if that's what you saw in February then that's what you saw and you're right to mention it. However last month we didn't see any evidence of those sorts of things so my assumption would be that they've been dealt with through the ongoing maintenance programme. In fact there was continual work going on while we were onboard, mainly around the promenade deck - lots of varnishing, paint removal/chipping, and repainting.

We had no complaints with the physical state of the ship at all, in fact; any issues we might have had we're to do with the nature of the cruise itself.

I blogged from the cruise here.

Sutho said:

Sutho, if that's what you saw in February then that's what you saw and you're right to mention it. However last month we didn't see any evidence of those sorts of things so my assumption would be that they've been dealt with through the ongoing maintenance programme. In fact there was continual work going on while we were onboard, mainly around the promenade deck - lots of varnishing, paint removal/chipping, and repainting.

We had no complaints with the physical state of the ship at all, in fact; any issues we might have had we're to do with the nature of the cruise itself.

I blogged from the cruise here.

I would imagine your right about it being fixed up since February. I would have thought that all the major issues would surely have been fixed for the Grand Event cruise in July.

I saw all the maintenance happening that you saw, however I recon the ship was looking a little worst for wear when I boarded. At least we saw new carpets being laid and that they were taking it seriously.

I really enjoyed my cruise on it earlier this year. The issues were certainly not holiday ruiners, it just looked tired and worn out that is all.

Sutho

A ship is a she not an it. Please do not say it looked scruffy - please say she looked scruffy. Dont hurt her feelings.

And Cool Cruiser. Up top near the front. Oh dear oh dear.

Please remember you are on a ship.

Port, Starboard, Forrard, Aft.

No walls please they are bulkheads.

Ceilings are deckheads.

Come along everybody get with the maritime jingo.

Archived