review 11/4 cruise

cutiepiefred

I'm going to give the review and the pros and cons of this vacation.

Day 1 Embarkation- We landed at MIA at 8:35 am, after seeing some family we got our shuttle at 10:30 am. we got to the port before 11. Lines were quick and we were in waiting for maybe 20 mins. We were on the ship and eating lunch by noon. We were also able to go to our rooms and drop stuff off. Muster drill was quite different than the ones on carnival as our station was in the theater and we were able to sit down.

Day 2 Great Stirrup Cay- we were able to get one of the 1st tenders off the ship. Island was awesome and it was a great day. We just laid on the beach and did some snorkeling.

Day 3 Sea day- we decided to sleep in on this day, and boy was that a mistake, not only could we not find any tables to sit at for lunch, we couldn't get a lounge by the pool, or even get near the hot tubs or pools. As this was only day 3. I was already annoyed with washy washy. I found it a bit redundant to get sprayed even when we were just passing thru with swim stuff in hand There was more than one occasion where we got sprayed when we already had our food.

Day 4 Ocho Rios Jamaica- we were up before 7 as we had a tour scheduled. Breakfast was hard again to find a table to eat. We went river tubing down white river. We got off the ship without a problem, found our tour operator and were off. Didn't like that there was no shopping where you could walk. Cheapest taxi was 10 a person. Again crew not very helpful every time was asked where we needed to go they just pointed.

Day 5 Georgetown Cayman Islands- Due to high winds and rough seas, we were not able to tender in town, so we tendered about 15 mins away. Again nothing was there but bathrooms. We did the stingray sandbar tour. The tour itself was fantastic, great time and lots of stingrays. The seas were really bad there were a lot of sick people on this tour. I hated the fact that again it would have cost us 15 a person to be taken to town just to shop.

Day 6 Cozumel- we docked right around 10am. We actually were able to find a table for breakfast today. We decided on the snuba tour. It was awesome and I highly recommend it. Only dislike was we not able to take any cameras on the tour. We ate some local food which was also really good. We had to buy all of our souvenirs here, which was a plus as most of the key chains were only a buck. I loved that we were welcomed back on the ship with singing and dancing by the cruise staff.

Day 7 sea day- This day was very windy, we didn’t do much outside. We did go to the staff talent show which was interesting. We also played bingo and lost for the 3rd day in a row. Most of this day was spent playing games, eating or taking naps.

Day 8 disembarkation- this was quick and painless. We were off the ship by 7:45am and to the airport by 8:15am. Very organized.

Entertainment- I found the shows were pretty good, especially liked the second city comedy. We didn’t care too much for the magician or the Broadway performance. I found the ship was lacking in things to do during the day for 25-30 year olds. I found the ship geared towards an older crowd.

Ship- The ship itself was beautiful and clean. It was bigger than both carnival ones we were on previously. I’m not sure if it was just rough seas or such a big ship but this boat was rocking the whole time it was moving. That made it hard to do anything at night as we were all dizzy and nauseous.

PROS- short wait times to get on and off the ship, sitting down muster drill, Sleeping in and not being woke by noise, quick tenders, lots of food brought to the island, plenty of lounges on GSC, entertainment was good.

CONS- no enough seating for lunch or breakfast as parties of 2 were using the tables made for 4-6, staff had no idea what was going on most of the time, not much to do on a sea day for 20 year olds, too much washy washy, not enough lounges poolside, on GSC Staff really pushy to buy drinks and so were the locals selling things. We had them coming up to us while we were lying on the beach asking us to buy things. Not a lot of selection for food in the buffet, ice-cream was always runny, COULD NOT get your own drink.

On a second note, I was under the impression that NCL was “freestyle”, well we were denied dinner in the main dining rooms on 2 nights for dress code. My hubby had on khaki cargo shorts and tennis shoes, and my sister in law had on Bermudas, a polo shirt and sandals. That’s one of the reasons we decided to give NCL a try, well we were not expecting to be denied dinner.

Overall it was a great cruise we had lots of fun. We will try Norwegian again, but in my own opinion my favorite is still carnival.

CONS- no enough seating for lunch or breakfast as parties of 2 were using the tables made for 4-6

On the Gem and Jewel, there is overflow seating in the Italian restaurant. I assume the same applies for the Pearl.

on GSC Staff really pushy to buy drinks and so were the locals selling things. We had them coming up to us while we were lying on the beach asking us to buy things.

In the three times I've been to GSC, I've never once had locals come over to me and request I purchase anything. I hope this is not something new.

Not a lot of selection for food in the buffet, ice-cream was always runny, COULD NOT get your own drink.

Never had a lack of selection in the buffet before. Again, I hope this is not a new trend.

On a second note, I was under the impression that NCL was “freestyle”, well we were denied dinner in the main dining rooms on 2 nights for dress code. My hubby had on khaki cargo shorts and tennis shoes, and my sister in law had on Bermudas, a polo shirt and sandals. That’s one of the reasons we decided to give NCL a try, well we were not expecting to be denied dinner.

NCL is quite clear in their dress codes if you had bothered to read them. The "fancier" main restaurant does not allow shorts at dinner. The other main restaurant would have seated you.

Overall it was a great cruise we had lots of fun. We will try Norwegian again, but in my own opinion my favorite is still carnival.

I'm glad you managed to have fun on your cruise. I suggest doing a little research for your next trip to avoid surprises.

So, I never ever thought I'd have to say this, but, uhhhh, might be a good idea to put the ship name somewhere in the title, or at the very least somewhere in your review. It'll help people in the future when they are searching for info about the NCL Pearl.

Freestyle isn't a wide open "wear what you want, we don't care" system. Can you image what that would look like? Ugh. I'm all for being relaxed and casual, but they have to draw the line somewhere. (Also...It keeps the wifebeaters and cutoffs on Carnival ;) . Sorry, I had to get that in there...I wouldn't be able to sleep if I didn't.)

Anyways, thanks for your honest and open review. I'm considering the Pearl and the same itinerary next November/December.

on GSC Staff really pushy to buy drinks and so were the locals selling things. We had them coming up to us while we were lying on the beach asking us to buy things.

In the three times I've been to GSC, I've never once had locals come over to me and request I purchase anything. I hope this is not something new.

Not a lot of selection for food in the buffet, ice-cream was always runny, COULD NOT get your own drink.

Never had a lack of selection in the buffet before. Again, I hope this is not a new trend.

NCL is quite clear in their dress codes if you had bothered to read them. The "fancier" main restaurant does not allow shorts at dinner. The other main restaurant would have seated you.

Ditto to the responses offered up for the three items above. Also, I wonder if there was a noro outbreak and that's why you couldn't get your own drink at the buffet. Seems odd.

Also, I echo what you say about the 25-30 year old demographic activities. When we cruised at that age, we struggled to find daytime activities to suit us. I distinctly remember commenting on that on our guest survey. Aside from trivia and watching the occassional poolside silly stuff, there wasn't much. We are in our 30s now and love that over the last three years or so they've ramped up their drink tastings (wine, martini, beer, etc.) so that gives us another option. We just generally count on reading, hitting the gym, maybe hitting some golf balls or shuffleboard, and taking naps otherwise! Save ourselves up for fun nights and port days.

Day 1 Embarkation- We landed at MIA at 8:35 am, after seeing some family we got our shuttle at 10:30 am. we got to the port before 11. Lines were quick and we were in waiting for maybe 20 mins. We were on the ship and eating lunch by noon. We were also able to go to our rooms and drop stuff off. Muster drill was quite different than the ones on carnival as our station was in the theater and we were able to sit down.

Glad this was quick and painless. The cruise we took out of Miami was a lot more chaotic than our trip out of LA.

Day 3 Sea day- we decided to sleep in on this day, and boy was that a mistake, not only could we not find any tables to sit at for lunch, we couldn't get a lounge by the pool, or even get near the hot tubs or pools. As this was only day 3. I was already annoyed with washy washy. I found it a bit redundant to get sprayed even when we were just passing thru with swim stuff in hand There was more than one occasion where we got sprayed when we already had our food.

Like the other poster I was under the impression that most NCL ships had additional seating in a nearby restaurant for popular eating times.

I found if we were just passing through the buffet area that just a polite “we are just passing through”, brought a smile and an OK from the washy washy girls.

Day 8 disembarkation- this was quick and painless. We were off the ship by 7:45am and to the airport by 8:15am. Very organized.

Good to hear

Entertainment- II found the ship was lacking in things to do during the day for 25-30 year olds. I found the ship geared towards an older crowd.

OK I just have to ask. Since things I enjoy to do, really don’t differ much now than when I was 25-30. What entertainment on the ship did you consider is geared toward the “older crowd”. And what type of daily entertainment does Carnival offer that NCL doesn’t, that would be more geared to 25-30 year olds.

This information is posted in NCL’s FAQ, the welcome book you should have received right before your cruise as well as most times on the back page of your freestyle dailies.

What Should I Pack?

When it comes to what to wear, you can go resort casual or get decked-out and look your best - it’s your call. That’s the freedom of Freestyle Cruising. We even have special “Dress-Up or Not Night.” It’s the perfect opportunity to get your portrait taken with your family, that special someone or even with the ship’s Captain.

Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required. Cruise casual is also allowed day and night on embarkation day.

Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the aft main dining room (our more formal dining room) and in Le Bistro on cruises longer than five days. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it’s jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes.

We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants.

Glad overall your trip was enjoyable.

Yes it was the pearl sorry forgot to include that. during the sea days they had activities like bingo and wine tastings, then stuff for the kids, but nothing that really caught our eye. they had a few deck parties after dinner, but like I said the sjip was rocking so bad we were in bed early.

As for the dresscode we were dressed properly "We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants" they were dresses for resort casual. khaki and polo buttons down. we actually had to go back and change then wait 30 more minutes to eat and this was at Indigo the not so formal dining room.

No one once told us we could sit in the italian resturant, again back to the staff not helpful comment. They saw us looking for a table and they never once stated we could go there to sit down.

The food in the buffet was the same everyday foe breakfast and lunch, not sure about dinner as we ate in main dining. By day 4 we were sick of eggs, country potatoes and bacon. Linch was always the same stuff as weel

Yes it was the pearl sorry forgot to include that. during the sea days they had activities like bingo and wine tastings, then stuff for the kids, but nothing that really caught our eye. they had a few deck parties after dinner, but like I said the sjip was rocking so bad we were in bed early.

As for the dresscode we were dressed properly "We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants" they were dresses for resort casual. khaki and polo buttons down. we actually had to go back and change then wait 30 more minutes to eat and this was at Indigo the not so formal dining room.

Our friends were turned away on the Pearl from the Summer Palace, the night they got confused on which dining venue allowed shorts, but never from the Indigo. Not sure what was up with that for you. Sorry that happened but that is not a normal thing.

No one once told us we could sit in the italian resturant, again back to the staff not helpful comment. They saw us looking for a table and they never once stated we could go there to sit down.

The food in the buffet was the same everyday foe breakfast and lunch, not sure about dinner as we ate in main dining. By day 4 we were sick of eggs, country potatoes and bacon. Linch was always the same stuff as weel

I would think that the buffets on all of the Jewel Class ships would be similar and, while I haven't been on the Pearl, I thought the choices for breakfast on the Jewel and Gem was very good. I cant think of anything I would have liked that I couldn't find. I'm curious, what were you looking for that they didn't have.

Its not that I was looking for anything particular. It was just the same everyday. On carnival one day it was french toast, next day was eggs, then next was pancakes, then it started over. I think it was more that there was no organization and everyone was just standing in lines waiting for omelets, but we thought it was the main line to wait for other food. On day 2 we waited for 20 mins before we were told that it was the omelet line

Its not that I was looking for anything particular. It was just the same everyday. On carnival one day it was french toast, next day was eggs, then next was pancakes, then it started over. I think it was more that there was no organization and everyone was just standing in lines waiting for omelets, but we thought it was the main line to wait for other food. On day 2 we waited for 20 mins before we were told that it was the omelet line

But NCL offers all of the items you mentioned every day...Plus cereals, fruit, waffles...:confused:

I literally can't think of a breakfast food not offered at the buffet.

I can see why you might think that. On my one and only Carnival cruise there was only 1 line (sometimes 2 but the food was the same on both) and it was always very long and I thought, limited compared to the Jewel and the Gem. I personally preferred the layout of the NCL buffets and the food choices.

my family and I try to avoid the buffet completely...

we enjoy service, not self service

the main dining room always serves breakfast and lunch

or the blue lagoon for that fact.

on our most recent we took the kiddo, DD, to the buffet cause she wanted to go. we waited for her to get her food, sit and eat. as soon as she was done, we all took off for the dining room to get our breakfast.

after that she never went back to the buffet, we convinced her it was a waste of time.

We were on NCL Pearl 11/4 also I will agree buffet was the same every day for lunch and dinner it never changed:confused: We did all dinners in MDR food was good We were lucky enough to be in a suite so breakfast and lunch was in Cagneys:) which was excellant {their menu was the same every day also} Been on Carnival and their food is better Did not feel the ship rock much {I do get sea sick} actually the seas were quite calm except the last day if I remember right they were 7ft:rolleyes:. I enjoyed the music and greeting coming back to the ship that was fun We had a wonderful cruise and will be going again with ncl:D

I was already annoyed with washy washy. I found it a bit redundant to get sprayed even when we were just passing thru with swim stuff in hand There was more than one occasion where we got sprayed when we already had our food.

You forget that kids and some adults pick their nose and whatever between washy washy's.

And I'd rather be bugged by washy washy than virus virus. If you've never been on a ship that has had a break out be thankful.

We only ever eat breakfast and lunch in the buffet but have always seen something different on the carving block every lunch, the soups also change.

I don't understand why people complain about buffets on board. The best way to enjoy it if you have to eat there every night is to pick a food group each night, it will also help with calories, weight etc (heaven forbid that there are other cruisers that don't put weight on while cruising). So make it fish one night pasta another and so on.

Lastly show me a wife/mother that will cook that much food every night.

I was already annoyed with washy washy. I found it a bit redundant to get sprayed even when we were just passing thru with swim stuff in hand There was more than one occasion where we got sprayed when we already had our food.

You forget that kids and some adults pick their nose and whatever between washy washy's.

And I'd rather be bugged by washy washy than virus virus. If you've never been on a ship that has had a break out be thankful.

Yeah, "Virus, virus!" just doesn't have the same ring! :D

Archived