Aqua vs Sky Suite on Summit

dkny330

If you don't mind seeing a "lived in" cabin, I'll post a couple of more pictures tomorrow.

My BIL had a Sky Suite on deck 9. It is an accessable suite, but the size between theirs and ours......well.........they had a true 250 square foot cabin. If I can find pictures from them, of their cabin, I'll post them.

I can say, without a doubt, the the 45, 46 on deck 6 is the best of the best of Sky suites. 400 sq ft, vs 250....even though much of it is in the bathroom, and some is just wasted space in the hallway......the furniture is better, the finishes are better, and you get the best butler on the ship!

Rick

Rick, I'd love to see them. At the end of the day, all cabins will be 'lived in'

Interesting to hear about all the different sizing as i hadn't come across those specs before. This thread will soon become a goldmine to anyone tossing up between AQ & SS!

Re the best butler....I'm not exactly sure what i'll be asking from him besides making our Q reservation, but i'm sure it will be fun!

wow - i am so excited, I snagged 6145 - these pics are great! thank you! Posts like these make it easy to do research.

When deciding whether to upgrage I included the OBC (special offer) & free specialty restaurant (incl for SS) to compare prices & it ended up only $100 more pp compared to AQ. I hope more 6145/46ers review their cruise!

Congratulations! You really got a great deal.

I saw one picture of the balcony, and our furniture was the same as the Royal Suite, including a round teak wood table, that would be brought in to the cabin for in suite dining in the evening.

You have to remember that the Infinity was the first M class ship, and improvements were made on ships built after her.

If you are familiar with the Penthouse Suite, and all of the goodies provided, this bathroom would just be a second bedroom, with the ability to have a TV and vanity for dressing.

Everyone looks at cabins differently. While most people would love to have this Sky Suite, because of its size, and layout, and now that we have lived in it for a 16 day cruise, we too could live in it, we would rather stay with the Royal Suite, only because of it capacity to entertain, and the fact that it's easy to have another couple in for dinner, which we enjoy doing.

The round balcony table shown in photos #2 and #3 of the slideshow looks to me like the standard size typically provided.

It is not as big as the table on the balcony of the Penthouse Suite.

To me, the biggest advantage of a Royal Suite over a Sky Suite is the separate bedroom, instead of having only one room with the bed right in the living area.

But considering the typically huge price difference between them, the Sky Suite would be fine for me............even when having another couple in for dinner.

They would just have to suffer, the poor things. Or they can go eat with the people in the Penthouse Suite. ;)

6145 is amazing!!!

But especially amazing with the deal that Xcitdcruiser got; Sky Suite 6145 for only $100 more than Aqua Class.

I think we all would love to get deals like that.

Rick, I'd love to see them. At the end of the day, all cabins will be 'lived in'

Interesting to hear about all the different sizing as i hadn't come across those specs before. This thread will soon become a goldmine to anyone tossing up between AQ & SS!

Re the best butler....I'm not exactly sure what i'll be asking from him besides making our Q reservation, but i'm sure it will be fun!

So, let's talk about the butler for a moment. None of the suites come with a coffee maker, or teapot, or hotpot, so lets start with the morning.

You have a choice of picking up the phone and calling your butler to have coffee (I drink tea) delivered. Within 3 to 5 minutes, he is there, setting up cups and saucers, spoons, napkins (cloth) and, if you wish, rolls of your choice to go along with your first cup. We are always in our bathrobes, and by day 2 you butler knows what it is that you want, and it will be delivered........in a very short time.

The alternative is to place a hanger on your door with items you wish marked off and a delivery time. Since we are vacation, I don't want to be put on a schedule, so prefer the phone method.

Then, when you are ready for breakfast, whether it be eggs benedict, omelets, full english breakfast, pancakes..........whatever, again a call, and within short order, voila.......breakfast!

He will do the same for lunch and dinner. He is there to make all reservations. You will see him around 4 in the afternoon with tea, and wonderful finger sandwiches on his trolley. Then at 5 it's canapes.

By the third day, we wonder why we cannot be spoiled like this at home!!:D

Rick

More of the cabin. By the way, there are a series of light buttons, located both by the connecting door, and also at the front enterance, that allows you to "set the mood". This is something that even the Royal Suite does not have, only the two connecting PH Sky Suites have them. Very nice when you only want certain lights on.

Looking at the sofa, which I like to lie on and read. Sorry for the lived in look!

21lpc1v.jpg

And finally a picture of the TV stand. I lost the picture of the entryway, but it is of decent size, with a small table, where you will find frest flowers. I also had a bouquet of flowers over the TV. The smallest feature is the closet, but we learned to fold our clothes and make do. We found plenty of drawer space.

11qod3p.jpg

I hope that these pictures help. The next time that we cruise on an M class ship, one of these two cabins will be the only SS we would consider, and other than the fact that the RS has a seperate bedroom, which we love, we found that we can live in either 6146, or 45!

To the two of you that snagged one for your upcoming cruise, relax, enjoy, you have a gift from X. A great cabin, where you are standing on marble before you open your doorway, and the only other doors that look like your entry door is the PH door.

Rick

So, this was the table and chairs on our balcony. My DW is on the right, with her sister.

It is the same table and chairs furnished for the Royal Suite.

Yes, it also looks like the same size table shown in the previous slideshow of 6145 on the Millennium (in post #16), so that is probably the size provided on the balconies of the other sky suites, as well as the concierge balconies.

For comparison

Millennium 6145 Balcony table

......Looking at the sofa, which I like to lie on and read. Sorry for the lived in look!

Now I find this a little surprising because not only the carpet, but also the sofa and draperies appear to be the same in your photo as the previous photos from 6145 on the Millennium.

Millennium 6145 Living area

From what we have seen of the M-class ships, even though the same cabin has the same layout on each, the decor usually varies from ship to ship.

We have also observed differences in the balcony furnishings for the same category, some having loungers; others not, and with differing configurations of the reclining chairs and footstools.

I think the reason that we sometimes find some of the balconies with more chairs than others is that the previous occupants had requested extra chairs, which were left behind after those people departed.

(But granted, our observations of the cabins on the different ships have been limited to a relatively small number.)

I saw one picture of the balcony, and our furniture was the same as the Royal Suite, including a round teak wood table, that would be brought in to the cabin for in suite dining in the evening.

You have to remember that the Infinity was the first M class ship, and improvements were made on ships built after her.

If you are familiar with the Penthouse Suite, and all of the goodies provided, this bathroom would just be a second bedroom, with the ability to have a TV and vanity for dressing.

Everyone looks at cabins differently. While most people would love to have this Sky Suite, because of its size, and layout, and now that we have lived in it for a 16 day cruise, we too could live in it, we would rather stay with the Royal Suite, only because of it capacity to entertain, and the fact that it's easy to have another couple in for dinner, which we enjoy doing.

Rick

I thought Millenium was the first M class ship, which is why it is called M (Millenium) class. Did Infinity actually launch first? I do not recall.

So, let's talk about the butler for a moment. None of the suites come with a coffee maker, or teapot, or hotpot, so lets start with the morning.

You have a choice of picking up the phone and calling your butler to have coffee (I drink tea) delivered. Within 3 to 5 minutes, he is there, setting up cups and saucers, spoons, napkins (cloth) and, if you wish, rolls of your choice to go along with your first cup. We are always in our bathrobes, and by day 2 you butler knows what it is that you want, and it will be delivered........in a very short time.

The alternative is to place a hanger on your door with items you wish marked off and a delivery time. Since we are vacation, I don't want to be put on a schedule, so prefer the phone method.

Then, when you are ready for breakfast, whether it be eggs benedict, omelets, full english breakfast, pancakes..........whatever, again a call, and within short order, voila.......breakfast!

He will do the same for lunch and dinner. He is there to make all reservations. You will see him around 4 in the afternoon with tea, and wonderful finger sandwiches on his trolley. Then at 5 it's canapes.

By the third day, we wonder why we cannot be spoiled like this at home!!:D

Rick

Oh my! My husband to be will not be happy about my new routine :)

Thank you so much for going to the effort & posting!!

wow - i am so excited, I snagged 6145 - these pics are great! thank you! Posts like these make it easy to do research.

When deciding whether to upgrage I included the OBC (special offer) & free specialty restaurant (incl for SS) to compare prices & it ended up only $100 more pp compared to AQ. I hope more 6145/46ers review their cruise!

You absolutely made the right move. We were in 6145 on Summit in Feb 2012. You will be thrilled. The bathroom alone is enough to confirm your decision. Try not to chain yourself to the inside of the suite when it is time to disembark.

I thought Millenium was the first M class ship, which is why it is called M (Millenium) class. Did Infinity actually launch first? I do not recall.

Well, there you go, making me look up the facts of the fleet!:D

And, yes, you are correct, the Millenium was launched on June 17, 2000, and the Infinity was launched on March 3, 2001.

When we were invited aboard the Infinity in Juneau, Alaska, in 2001, and told it was a brand new ship.....somehow I got it in my mind that it was the first of the series.

I look at the Vision Class of Royal Caribbean, of which the Vision of the Seas was actually the last of the class.........go figure.:confused:

If any of the two parties that scored a 45 suite, or anyone else has questions regarding the service (excellent) or ammentities, I'm happy to answer them.

I will tell you this, when asking any agent for Celebrity if the 45 or 46 cabins are any larger than any other Sky Suite, they will tell you, that all Sky Suites are 250 square feet, and that the drawings of the suites may appear larger, they are indeed not!!

So, while the mass is not in the know, Cruise Critic members are!!;)

Happy Thanksgiving!!:)

Rick

Well, there you go, making me look up the facts of the fleet!:D

And, yes, you are correct, the Millenium was launched on June 17, 2000, and the Infinity was launched on March 3, 2001.

When we were invited aboard the Infinity in Juneau, Alaska, in 2001, and told it was a brand new ship.....somehow I got it in my mind that it was the first of the series.

I look at the Vision Class of Royal Caribbean, of which the Vision of the Seas was actually the last of the class.........go figure.:confused:

If any of the two parties that scored a 45 suite, or anyone else has questions regarding the service (excellent) or ammentities, I'm happy to answer them.

I will tell you this, when asking any agent for Celebrity if the 45 or 46 cabins are any larger than any other Sky Suite, they will tell you, that all Sky Suites are 250 square feet, and that the drawings of the suites may appear larger, they are indeed not!!

So, while the mass is not in the know, Cruise Critic members are!!;)

Happy Thanksgiving!!:)

Rick

My TA actually advised AGAINST 6145/46 as it has a connecting door to the next room & noise travels. I was able to highlight all of the pros thanks to CC. These boards have truly been invaluable!

Thanks for all the feedback and I think we are going to splurge and og for the Sky Suite. 6145 is available on our sailing - in looking through the boards here, I see a lot of nice things written about 6146. Is 6145 identical or are there differences?
Oh, one more thing that I forgot to mention -- the balcony of Sky Suite 6145 on the Summit is covered, unlike the balcony seen in the photos of 6145 on the Millennium, which is not.

Another poster previously provided a shot of the side of the Summit that shows the canopies over the balconies on deck 6.

Summit-Hawaii-DSC02619-M.jpg

My TA actually advised AGAINST 6145/46 as it has a connecting door to the next room & noise travels. I was able to highlight all of the pros thanks to CC. These boards have truly been invaluable!
Xcitdcruiser, the only noise complaint we ever heard about 6145 or 6146 was people saying that they could hear the piano playing in the penthouse suite next door.

Just make friends with the people next door and they will almost certainly tone it down if you politely let them know that it bothers you. Besides, they may even invite you to their parties.

One of the guys who frequently books a penthouse suite mentioned that he always invites the people in the sky suite next door to his parties so that they won't complain about them. :D

But in any case, the possibility of hearing the piano is a small price to pay for the convenience of having that wonderful sky suite.

Some stated that they even enjoyed hearing the piano next door.

Besides, you could ask your butler or stateroom attendant to pad the connecting door with towels or blankets if the sound bothers you.

No way should you let a TA dissuade you from taking that suite.

Oh, one more thing that I forgot to mention -- the balcony of Sky Suite 6145 on the Summit is covered, unlike the balcony seen in the photos of 6145 on the Millennium, which is not.

Another poster previously provided a shot of the side of the Summit that shows the canopies over the balconies on deck 6.

Summit-Hawaii-DSC02619-M.jpg

Just an FYI, so is the Infinity covered, with canvas.

Also, to address your next comment after this one, I would be looking for a new TA, as the one advising that this is NOT a good cabin, does not know what they are talking about.

Also, the player piano is played so seldom, mostly to see what it sounds like on day one, and if they have a party..........and yes, we were invited to their party, as they felt we would be bothered.

I can't tell you all, but it was to be the persons last cruise, due to health, and we declined their invite, as we would be outsiders on someones last cruise.

But we were having our own last cruise with my DW's parents, who we had in an RS, across the way and three doors forward.

The person in the PH was allowed his dog, and they had a "sand box" outside for the dog.

If one cruises long enough, you meet some of the most interesting people in the world.

And, you can say anything you want about Crystal, or other all inclusive lines, there are some very famous people that cruise on Celebrity.....that almost never come out of the PH that they have reserved, that, on occasion we have had the opportunity to meet.

That may be another reason to book the two cabins, that, thank goodness, TA's advise against!!:D;)

Again, Happy Thanksgiving!

Rick

Edited by rubrrick

We were in 6146 on Constellation in September 2011. Our balcony table was indeed wooden, but its size was, well, that of a stool :eek: Our requests to bring smth of more reasonable size ended up in nothing. The neighboring CC cabin 6144 was empty and it had a larger yet plastic table on the balcony (still by far not as large as the wooden table shown in the previous posts). I then requested this table, and it took 2 days from our "the best on the ship butler" to figure out how to move this plastic table to our balcony.

Also, even though the balcony is said to be covered by a canopy, it is not totally covered. Meaning that people from the balcony above could easily see you.

We just got back from a cruise that had a connecting door and occasionally we could hear the people next door, a Penthouse on NCL, did you hear any noise from the connecting suites on Celebrity?

Our first time and light sleepers.

Thanks for any experiences!

We were just in 6146 on the Infinity. And, it along with 6145 are the nicest sky suites on the M class ships. Not only are they decorated in dark wood to resemble a lock off bedroom/sitting area of the Penthouse suites, they are also almost 400 square feet inside. The bathroom has both a bathtub, and a full shower, larger than the Royal Suite shower, and the bathroom is larger than the RS.

If we can snag either of these two cabins, we are very happy there, and would give up staying in a Royal Suite in trade for one of those Sky Suites.

Rick

We just got back from a cruise that had a connecting door and occasionally we could hear the people next door, a Penthouse on NCL, did you hear any noise from the connecting suites on Celebrity?

Our first time and light sleepers.

Thanks for any experiences!

We could hear the player piano, which they tried out on day one, and then used for a party on about day 13.

We could not hear conversations of any sort. Someone else also mentioned the piano. We did notice that towels had been stuffed along the bottom of the door, not noticable except if you were on the floor looking at the door.

Happy Thanksgiving!:)

Rick

Thanks Rick for taking the time to post all the great pictures and information on these cabins. We are in 6146 in a little over a week for the first time and are so excited!! Last year we had 6132 and while we fell in love with the SS1's and that one had the best balcony, looking forward to this cabin. Our friends are in the Penthouse so we will get to see that too. Yeah.

Thanks again.

Thanks Rick for taking the time to post all the great pictures and information on these cabins. We are in 6146 in a little over a week for the first time and are so excited!! Last year we had 6132 and while we fell in love with the SS1's and that one had the best balcony, looking forward to this cabin. Our friends are in the Penthouse so we will get to see that too. Yeah.

Thanks again.

How good a friend? If you are very close, your friend could have the butler unlock the connecting door, so that you could use their living room!:D

Enjoy your cruise, and your cabin. I think you will be amazed at the difference between 6132 and 6146.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Rick

It is nice to hear great comments on SS 6146. We booked this cabin for our 15 Night Panama Canal Cruise on the Infinity. Actual at the time of the booking we could have booked SS 6132. Sometimes I was wondering if we had picked the right cabin.

Thanks!

My Husband and I just got back from the Thanksgiving cruise on the Summit. We were in SS 6146 and really enjoyed it. We did hear some noise from the Penthouse suite next door but it wasn't too bothersome at all. We heard someone playing around on the the piano (Chopsticks mostly) the first couple of days, and also heard one or two of the kids having a temper tantrum when it was time for bed but that didn't last long.

Since we read the boards prior to our trip, we were prepared. One thing we were not prepared for was the ceiling of the suite creaking throughout the night one night - but this was only when the seas were very rough. We were told by our butler that engineering can come into the suite and make adjustments to the ceiling screws if necessary.

Our butler, Keith, was wonderful. Very attentive and willing to do anything we requested. The balcony and bathroom were huge. Loved the double sinks and extra space.

We're glad we experienced the suite but not sure we'd do it again. My husband is very sensitive to the ship's movement and we found, as expected, noticeably more movement than mid ship cabins.

Enjoy! You'll love the suite and the great service you'll receive.

• 3 years later...
More of the cabin. By the way, there are a series of light buttons, located both by the connecting door, and also at the front enterance, that allows you to "set the mood". This is something that even the Royal Suite does not have, only the two connecting PH Sky Suites have them. Very nice when you only want certain lights on.

Looking at the sofa, which I like to lie on and read. Sorry for the lived in look!

21lpc1v.jpg

Is there more glass for sunlight than just the single door to the balcony?