Unlimited Internet on the Allure of the Seas

scottct1

Good to hear that speeds are still ok. That's what I would be a bit worried about. I hope magicjack works too so I have the freedom to phone home for free. Now I'll just surf the net on the ship instead of wasting my time at ports looking for cheap internet. Great move by RCCL since I don't believe any of the other mainstream lines offer this. The price is just slightly higher than what you'd find at the high end hotels that charge for internet.

Unfortunately MagicJack didn't work for me. I tired a few times throughout the cruise.

For whatsapp, is it fast when sending messages? what about pictures?

Sending messages where sent and received just as fast as they were at home. I didn't try sending a picture. I did send a bunch via iMessage and Facebook Messenger and those took a few more seconds than they normally would. Still way faster than it used to take.

Thank You for your update. 0.45mbps should be good enough to use whatsapp to stay in touch with my gf. lol. if instagram is slow to load, wouldnt that mean on my Galaxy S3, the facebook app will take time to load as well?

Edited by Heroic_Kaizer

Still hoping to find out if this is limited to the Allure. Any recent Mariner cruisers out there with info?

Unlimited Internet wouldn't be of much use on Mariner. Mariner, unlike Allure, doesn't have Wi-Fi in all cabins: only in several hot-spots. At least this is how it was when we sailed on it last year. If your cabin happens to be next to one of the hot-spots, then you might be able to access it from the cabin. Otherwise, you have to go to one of the bars, the Windjammer, the library or the computer center.

By the way, if you are going to use your laptop throughout the ship on Mariner and you want to be able to charge it when outside your cabin, make sure to bring a European power adapter: I have found more European-style (220 Volt) outlets in public places, than the US-style outlets. Most chargers can handle that, but you need an adapter.

Edited by Ilya

Is the signal strong across the whole boat? Speed stable and consistent?

I can't say for the entire ship, but wherever I tried it, the signal was strong. And when actively using the Internet from my cabin I din't have any noticable slow-downs or connection interruptions. The speed flactuated to some extent, but overall, the connection has been surpizingly stable.

Looks like on some of the plans, your C&A coupon can be applied.........so Internet Discounts are as follows:

Gold Members ............ $5.00 USD credit or 10% off any internet package purchase (whichever amount is greater).

Platinum Members........$7.50 USD internet credit or 15% off any internet package purchase (whichever amount is greater).

Emerald Members........$10.00 USD internet credit or 15% off any internet package purchase (which ever amount is greater).

Diamond Members.........20% off any internet package purchase.

Diamond Plus & PC Members......... 25% off any internet package purchase.

Thanks Patti, you answered my questions!

Unlimited Internet wouldn't be of much use on Mariner. Mariner, unlike Allure, doesn't have Wi-Fi in all cabins: only in several hot-spots. At least this is how it was when we sailed on it last year. If your cabin happens to be next to one of the hot-spots, then you might be able to access it from the cabin. Otherwise, you have to go to one of the bars, the Windjammer, the library or the computer center.

I thought when Mariner went through her dry dock in November (before her TA to Galveston) that she got upgraded wifi through out the ship.

I thought when Mariner went through her dry dock in November (before her TA to Galveston) that she got upgraded wifi through out the ship.
Mariner went through her upgrades before she sailed to Europe earlier this year and I can vouch for the fact that wifi is available in all cabins when we sailed on her in the Mediterranean in August this year.

Would everyone say that the unlimited internet for the duration of the trip. $150...is it worth it?

It's a personal preference. I swallowed hard and paid up. Loved it.

You must understand there is only so much capacity and during busy times access slows. I think (I don't really know) they limit your device bandwidth so you can't claim it all. Overall it's a good experience.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For anyone interested, quick update from the Allure. Not sure for subsequent days of the cruise, but unlimited Internet for the week was available for purchase on the fist day for $99 (and as previously mentioned by someone else, C&A coupons can be applied). With the coupon, the price is a no-brainer (in hindsight after only one day). The connectivity is great and speed seems more than sufficient (but no means blazing). It works great from my cabin and I am typing this at just about the highest point on the ship (suite sun deck) and its working very well. Haven't tried Skype or FaceTime, but very pleased overall (especially with the reduced rates).

Personally I think every hotel including cruise ships should provide free WIFI. WIFI in this day and age is almost a necessity....?

On the open ocean, they have to use a satellite link to provide internet and phone service -- this technology has not advanced as quickly as the terrestrial systems have. In or near a port they might switch to microwave or a direct plug, which could be better.

But in general, satellite bandwidth is expensive and latency (ping time) is terrible. Plus, have you tried to use the free wifi in a busy airport? Would have better luck with a telegraph and sending your data by hand using morse code. Sometimes you can't even make a phone call.