Unlimited Internet on the Allure of the Seas

scottct1

On the open ocean, they have to use a satellite link to provide internet and phone service -- this technology has not advanced as quickly as the terrestrial systems have. In or near a port they might switch to microwave or a direct plug, which could be better.

But in general, satellite bandwidth is expensive and latency (ping time) is terrible. Plus, have you tried to use the free wifi in a busy airport? Would have better luck with a telegraph and sending your data by hand using morse code. Sometimes you can't even make a phone call.

I know this as my Dad designs underwater communication systems... now that is a real pain in the butt trying to send a signal underwater. The ships systems are still using bandwidth 24/7 on the ship and RCCL pay for this if they use it or not and I know if it was free to guests it would probably use all the bandwidth up so they charge to reduce guests usage.

Was looking for the "Internet Cafe" for the Allure - but it seems that it isn't indicated on RCI deck plans.

If someone could let me know where it is located on board - please share as I am new to RCI Fleet.

I believe there are some guest computers in the Library area on deck 11, near the aft centrum.

For anyone interested, quick update from the Allure. Not sure for subsequent days of the cruise, but unlimited Internet for the week was available for purchase on the fist day for $99 (and as previously mentioned by someone else, C&A coupons can be applied). With the coupon, the price is a no-brainer (in hindsight after only one day). The connectivity is great and speed seems more than sufficient (but no means blazing). It works great from my cabin and I am typing this at just about the highest point on the ship (suite sun deck) and its working very well. Haven't tried Skype or FaceTime, but very pleased overall (especially with the reduced rates).

Thanks for the update. Great news about the discounted price. We are sailing in 3 weeks and I think I am going to pass up the Verizon internet package they are offering for $20 for 150MB and just do this one instead. :)

Does anyone know if the Enchantment of the Seas offers the $99 unlimited internet deal? Would there be a further discount with Crown & Anchor status?

Also, is there wifi in the cabins? Thinking of taking my laptop.

Thank you!!

Does anyone know if the Enchantment of the Seas offers the $99 unlimited internet deal? Would there be a further discount with Crown & Anchor status?

Also, is there wifi in the cabins? Thinking of taking my laptop.

Thank you!!

I've not heard of Enchantment having the unlimited internet deal. However, there is wireless all over the ship, including the cabins.

• 3 weeks later...

Getting on the Allure this morning and plan to buy the unlimited Internet plan. I hope the $99 plan is still available. I wonder how much the gold C&A coupon saves me. Do I have to go somewhere specific to buy the plan? I am thinking I will be able to buy it from my device on the wireless.

Getting on the Allure this morning and plan to buy the unlimited Internet plan. I hope the $99 plan is still available. I wonder how much the gold C&A coupon saves me. Do I have to go somewhere specific to buy the plan? I am thinking I will be able to buy it from my device on the wireless.

Were you able to get the deal with discount??? I'll be joining you next week! Enjoy week 1!!

• 3 weeks later...

I just returned from our fabulous cruise on the Allure!! Just wanted to share that we were able to get unlimited wifi (one device at a time) for $99 for the week. I had an iPhone and I was able to turn off Cellular Data and leave iMessage on using my email address to communicate to family (whom also use iMessage). This found to be the most valuable $99 spent as we learned we had a death in the family while we were at sea :(.

To disable Cellular Data:

1) Go to Settings

2) Tap on General

3) Tap on Cellular

4) Tap Cellular Data OFF

To set up iMessage with email address:

1) Go to Settings

2) Tap on Messages

3) Tap iMessage ON

3) Tap Send as SMS OFF

4) Tap Send & Receive

5) If a icloud/mac/or me address is not checked, tap it to select

6) Under "Select new conversations from:" tap email address (be sure to go back and check your phone number when you return to land)

That's it! I hope this is helpful to others as it was for us. Remember, you can only iMessage with other iPhone users who have iMessage enabled. It may take a few seconds longer to send depending on the wifi speed. My husband refused to carry his iPhone around because he didn't want to be tempted to check work email, so, unfortunately, I couldn't tell you whether or not we could iMessage each other with just one account.

Were you able to get the deal with discount??? I'll be joining you next week! Enjoy week 1!!

We purchased the $99 unlimited package on the Allure last week. Guest Services was more than happy to apply our 15% off Platinum coupon to the package, bringing our price down to $84!!!

I'm going out on the Allure on May 5 2013; does anyone know if these unlimited internet packages are still available?

Yes, we just got off. That is their new price so it's not going to go up according to the IT people on the ship.

It's on their website now as one of the 3 options...

I hope you're right. I called the cust service number after I found this thread and they didn't know what I was talking about. They were telling me the only internet packages they know of are the old ones:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqId=310&faqSubjectId=334&faqType=faq

The cost for Wi-Fi access through your own laptop is:

Base rate is $.65 per minute or choose from one of our prepaid packages:

$35 for 60 minutes

$55 for 100 minutes

$75 for 150 minutes

$100 for 250 minutes

$150 for 500 minutes

RCCL definitely needs to get the same message coming from the customer service 866 number as what they'd tell you on the ship

I hope you're right. I called the cust service number after I found this thread and they didn't know what I was talking about. They were telling me the only internet packages they know of are the old ones:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqId=310&faqSubjectId=334&faqType=faq

The cost for Wi-Fi access through your own laptop is:

Base rate is $.65 per minute or choose from one of our prepaid packages:

$35 for 60 minutes

$55 for 100 minutes

$75 for 150 minutes

$100 for 250 minutes

$150 for 500 minutes

RCCL definitely needs to get the same message coming from the customer service 866 number as what they'd tell you on the ship

Trust me. I just got off Allure B2B! It is on the front page of the internet on all the computers. It's $9.99 for an hour, $24.99 for a day and $99 for unlimited. Those were the only options...

Edited by kath00

I'm on Allure right now. I purchased the unlimited package. This week they are charging $129 for it. I asked about $99 at the service desk but they only know what shows up on their computer and that says $129.

Logging in on your phone/computer it says $129.

On Babbling Brooks show the CD even said it was $99 but I cannot find it for that price on this sailing.

We just got off Allure on Sunday too, and the $99 unlimited internet special was only offered the first two days. After that, I didn't see it being offered anymore. I was able to apply my Gold C&A coupon of 10% off, which brought it down to $89 for the week! I purchased the package on the day we boarded. I did, however, see an internet package mid-week that Allure offered for a 3-day internet special for $55.99 (72 hours), one device logged in at a time.

The speed was consistent and pretty good all week.

Well maybe the problem this week was that the Internet broke on Sunday. If you got on early in the day you were ok but sometime that afternoon it went down and never came back up until the next day. I finally got connection at 4:20 am on Monday morning. And it was $129. Even on day one.

I'm going to inquire about it again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Any updates here? We're planning a sail on Allure in September and was wondering if unlimited was still being offered.

All reports say that unlimited internet is still the norm on Allure, just that the price seems to be dynamic.