No room yet leaving 29th

PH

No, they are being bumped!

"PH" just posted on our Roll Call. Their TA were told them that they would probably be bumped. They could either accept a 49 day cruise to the Amazon for the same price as our 23 day cruise, or they could drive to the port and hope. However, they would probably not get a cabin. In this case, they would only receive the money they paid as reimbursement, nothing extra. Not much of a choice.

Another couple emailed me yesterday that they had been bumped. They were in our group for an excursion in Santarem. They were not given any real choice, and were not happy!

This is inexcusable to be informed 3 or 2 days before departure that there are no cabins available. If this happened to me, I would never book with that cruise company again!

Wow -- this is a very bad situation.

I know of several other cruises that have been over booked in the past. And because there were numerous itineraries on the same ship -- these overbooking problems were taken care of.

But the Prinsendam has nothing but unique itineraries. If I were booked and got bumped at the last minute -- that would be the end of my crusing with HAL.

Some people may lose money on airfare!!

As I stated in the other thread, I wonder if they didn't finish whatever they are doing in the dry dock. Say for instance, they are trying to do something about those add-on cabins, and they couldn't finish on schedule. The rooms may not be ready and it may of been a last minute decision on HAL's part.

They did offer a twice as long cruise and an upgrade from inside to outside to switch out according to the roll call page.

This is all speculation on my part but sounds like it could of happened. Maybe Copper John knows more about what they had planned. We have also heard that they may be doing some things to make the Prinsendam a "special" ship.

As I stated in the other thread, I wonder if they didn't finish whatever they are doing in the dry dock.

It could have been any number of things that kept these people from sailing.

However, it is unheard of for HAL to involuntarily bump published fare passengers. The usual procedure is to offer increasingly tempting deals until sufficient people accept.

What is obvious is that the whole story has not been told. I, for one, would like to know the rest of the details.

Me too, but for this long a journey and this close to sailing I wonder how many they can really entice? It might be unavoidable this close.

I would be beyond angry, especially if I already had airfare and other things booked to go. This is a cruise of a lifetime to a lot of people. :confused:

It will be interesting to hear "The rest of the story"...

Me too, but for this long a journey and this close to sailing I wonder how many they can really entice? It might be unavoidable this close.

Which brings us, once again, to the Interline question.

If the passengers are Interline, then that explains everything, and published fare passengers have no worry. At least not about this.

If they were published fare passengers, then none of us can ever be sure. That's huge.

But again, that has never happened on HAL. Other lines have done that, but not HAL.

Yes I am interline and knew that I could be bumped. my objection is that they waited till my bags were in the car and I had got ton my spray tan before they told me. I have called them every day for five days and was told I was on the cruise. it was 12:00 on Tuesday that I got the call saying there was little to no chance of getting on the cruise. The interline rate was the same amount as the price offered returning HAL passangers. I do not know if it would have made a difference or not if I had gone that way. On the bright side I got a 49 day cruise and an upgrade to an outside cabin without paying any extra money. I was able to cancel my room at the Hampton Inn. I would have rather gone on the cruise as planned but sometimes life throws you a curve. Hope this answers any questions.

Yes I am interline and knew that I could be bumped. my objection is that they waited till my bags were in the car and I had got ton my spray tan before they told me. I have called them every day for five days and was told I was on the cruise. it was 12:00 on Tuesday that I got the call saying there was little to no chance of getting on the cruise. The interline rate was the same amount as the price offered returning HAL passangers. I do not know if it would have made a difference or not if I had gone that way. On the bright side I got a 49 day cruise and an upgrade to an outside cabin without paying any extra money. I was able to cancel my room at the Hampton Inn. I would have rather gone on the cruise as planned but sometimes life throws you a curve. Hope this answers any questions.

Did they give you a reason for the oversales? Seems like a reasonable question to ask.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...
I have never heard of anyone being bumped off totally without their consent. When a cruise is oversold, HAL will keep making better and better offers to change to another cruise until somebody's "price" is reached. Without any other details, I will presume that is what happened in this case ... unless she was waitlisted to begin with. It won't happen to you, PH, as long as you keep saying "NO" ... or until they make an offer too good to refuse.

We have a confirmed booking on the Rotterdam for 10th Jan and learnt Friday that we have been bumped off. No one has had the decency to contact us personally since we received a shattering e-mail.

We have a confirmed booking on the Rotterdam for 10th Jan and learnt Friday that we have been bumped off. No one has had the decency to contact us personally since we received a shattering e-mail.

So was this a special fare, interline, or full regular fare? Any change offer?

Archived