What is your favorite Cotswold town?

Chesie

Interested what everyone's favorite town is and why as we are gathering info for a private tour. So many to pick from but only have one day

Thanks in advance.

Hi, Chesie. As I live here it's probably unfair of me to pick a favourite, but if you let me know either what you are looking for (antiques, art galleries, museums, picture perfect photo ops, walking, etc) or which ones you are considering, I can give you some opinions :) I'll chime in on what others say too, no doubt, and will be slightly parochial towards the North Cotswolds.... Broadway, Chipping Camden, Moreton-in-Marsh, Stow-on-the-Wold, Bourton-on-the-Water are my local touristy towns/large villages.

Whereabouts will you be setting off from?

David

Personally, I think if you get a mixture of the larger towns (this is all relative, btw large in the Cotswolds is small elsewhere) ;) and the small villages, you can't go far wrong wherever you go.

I have a fondness for Burford, (although it gets very busy) because of the architecture, and the very interesting church. Snowshill for the lavender farm (although I've not yet managed to get there when the lavender's at its peak) and the tiny village that coaches can't get to.

I like Broadway - not sure why; I just do, but on my last trip, got to stop at the Tower there, and the views over several counties towards Wales were just spectacular.

For what it's worth: I think Bourton on the Water is fine, although very touristy; the nearby Slaughters are so pretty. Bibury is a yawn for me; just the one row of Weavers Cottages, a pretty bridge and the trout farm - I'd prefer to visit other places. Stow-on-the-Wold is growing on me, but I wouldn't visit it AND say Moreton-in-Marsh. Too similar.

Oh, all right. I'll tell you my favourite place. Just don't tell anyone else. Minster Lovell. Tiny little place but so tranquil with thatched cottages, decent pub, river and a ruin that is surprisingly atmospheric given it's just a ruin. It's less than 10 minutes from Burford.

Great thread thanks for starting it! My dh and I have a private tour booked with Harry Norman for June to do a one day tour and hopefully you will get tons of responses to your post.

We are using Harry for our airport transfer to Southampton with Stonehenge and Salisbury tour on the way. He was a bit pricey for The Cotswolds. I am in contact with International Friends that will get me a 6 pass van for £400 for a full day. What towns is Harry taking you into?

Personally, I think if you get a mixture of the larger towns (this is all relative, btw large in the Cotswolds is small elsewhere) ;) and the small villages, you can't go far wrong wherever you go.

I have a fondness for Burford, (although it gets very busy) because of the architecture, and the very interesting church. Snowshill for the lavender farm (although I've not yet managed to get there when the lavender's at its peak) and the tiny village that coaches can't get to.

I like Broadway - not sure why; I just do, but on my last trip, got to stop at the Tower there, and the views over several counties towards Wales were just spectacular.

For what it's worth: I think Bourton on the Water is fine, although very touristy; the nearby Slaughters are so pretty. Bibury is a yawn for me; just the one row of Weavers Cottages, a pretty bridge and the trout farm - I'd prefer to visit other places. Stow-on-the-Wold is growing on me, but I wouldn't visit it AND say Moreton-in-Marsh. Too similar.

Oh, all right. I'll tell you my favourite place. Just don't tell anyone else. Minster Lovell. Tiny little place but so tranquil with thatched cottages, decent pub, river and a ruin that is surprisingly atmospheric given it's just a ruin. It's less than 10 minutes from Burford.

WOW, you have given me alot to think about. I'll pull out my map and see what flows. Thank you

Hi, Chesie. As I live here it's probably unfair of me to pick a favourite, but if you let me know either what you are looking for (antiques, art galleries, museums, picture perfect photo ops, walking, etc) or which ones you are considering, I can give you some opinions :) I'll chime in on what others say too, no doubt, and will be slightly parochial towards the North Cotswolds.... Broadway, Chipping Camden, Moreton-in-Marsh, Stow-on-the-Wold, Bourton-on-the-Water are my local touristy towns/large villages.

Whereabouts will you be setting off from?

David

Thanks David. Haven't really considered anything firm yet. I don't think Oxford is for us. Too large and alot of walking? We would like to see the beauty traveling and where the perfect village is. Asking too much?

Thanks David. Haven't really considered anything firm yet. I don't think Oxford is for us. Too large and alot of walking? We would like to see the beauty traveling and where the perfect village is. Asking too much?

Yes, with one day I would say do either the Cotswolds OR Oxford, but not both. But then I spent three years at the University and have lived in the Cotswolds for eight years, so I am more fortunate than most :)

I am a little busy with work and packing for flying to the US on Saturday (RCI's Explorer for 10 days from Monday!), but I will come back with more comments. HawaiiUK has given you some really excellent ideas, which work well as a tour (and they are forever banned from the Cotswolds for spilling the beans about Minster Lovell!!). Do take advantage of being in a small vehicle and see some of the smaller places that coaches can't get into - don't get fobbed off with somebody's standard itinerary.

We are using Harry for our airport transfer to Southampton with Stonehenge and Salisbury tour on the way. He was a bit pricey for The Cotswolds. I am in contact with International Friends that will get me a 6 pass van for £400 for a full day. What towns is Harry taking you into?

I haven't gotten that far along with arranging a definite itinerary with Harry as of yet. This will be our last day of our 31 day cruise/London vacation. I am so glad that I went ahead and booked a private tour rather than going on a large tour bus.

I was thinking about squeezing in Stratford on Avon too - even to just pass through. Maybe that may be too much - any opinions out there?

Thanks again for starting this thread

I haven't gotten that far along with arranging a definite itinerary with Harry as of yet. This will be our last day of our 31 day cruise/London vacation. I am so glad that I went ahead and booked a private tour rather than going on a large tour bus.

I was thinking about squeezing in Stratford on Avon too - even to just pass through. Maybe that may be too much - any opinions out there?

Thanks again for starting this thread

If you are going to do Stratford, you really need to allocate some time to it. There's not really anything to see passing through - e.g. Shakespeare's birthplace is on a pedestrian only street and behind a modern visitor centre. The theatre is a pretty ugly modern building (go and see the Globe in London :)). Stratford is a 25 minute drive from where I live, which is about the northern end of the Cotswolds, so going further from London - adds more driving time. If you really want to add it, probably go after lunch at a Cotswolds pub and do the afternoon there.

It's -UPON-Avon, by the way. They are a bit particular about that :D

So I have eliminated Oxford and Stratford. I feel the smaller quaint villages are what we want to do. Gave your list to our vendor so he can work up a route for us. Many thanks to all. I'm sure this will be the highlight of the trip!

Just booked International Friends 6 pax van for a private tour. Gave Martin all the villages suggested. Dorset is the only one he feels is out of the way from the rest we will visit.

Can't thank everyone enough!

Just a quick note - Goldencup suggested Dorset (a county) as an alternative to the Cotswolds, as Martin's advice the two areas don't tie together.

I'd second that alternative of the Dorset downs & coastline - if it weren't to confuse the hell out of you :D.

Back to the Cotswolds & Stratford-upon-Avon.

A drive-through wouldn't cost you a great deal of time, and it's world-renoun as Shakespeare's town & the centre is charming, shame to be so close & not see it. Might be a bit of a contrast in the middle of your tour of villages & countryside. Just a suggestion - and with a private tour you can build it in at short notice depending on time, mood & weather.

There, now that has confused the hell out of you :D:D

JB :)

Just a quick note - Goldencup suggested Dorset (a county) as an alternative to the Cotswolds, as Martin's advice the two areas don't tie together.

I'd second that alternative of the Dorset downs & coastline - if it weren't to confuse the hell out of you :D.

Back to the Cotswolds & Stratford-upon-Avon.

A drive-through wouldn't cost you a great deal of time, and it's world-renoun as Shakespeare's town & the centre is charming, shame to be so close & not see it. Might be a bit of a contrast in the middle of your tour of villages & countryside. Just a suggestion - and with a private tour you can build it in at short notice depending on time, mood & weather.

There, now that has confused the hell out of you :D:D

Thanks John Bull. I am going to try to keep Stratford upon Avon in our itinerary.

I love the Lamb Inn at Lower Slaughter. Its car park has a sign requesting patrons to "Please park prettily."

I have fond memories of Much-Binding in-the- Marsh! :p :D

I am so glad to find this thread. We will be spending eleven days driving around England prior to our Baltic cruise out of Southampton. The Cotswold's are on our itinerary. We plan on spending two nights in Stratford Upon Avon and using it as a base for the area. Does that sound like a reasonable way to do it?

I am so glad to get tips on which towns to visit. I am most interested in getting photos of the lovely quaint thatched roof cottages. Thanks for all the info.

. We plan on spending two nights in Stratford Upon Avon and using it as a base for the area. Does that sound like a reasonable way to do it?

I am so glad to get tips on which towns to visit. I am most interested in getting photos of the lovely quaint thatched roof cottages. Thanks for all the info.

Yes, Shakespeare's Stratford is a good base for visiting the Cotswolds by car. It's just off the northern edge of the Cotswolds, but has many more folk staying there than in the villages, which attract daytime visitors but tend to be pretty dead in the evening. If your hotel is in the town centre, have you checked whether there's private parking?

Warwick isn't far, no thatched cottages but a historic centre and an excellent castle.

Relatively few thatched roofs in the Cotswolds - it's not cereal-growing territory & it's known for its stone (most Cotswold houses are stone), & the stone is used for some roofing, as well as clay tiles & Welsh slates.

You'll see a few thatched roofs, including Ann Hathaway's cottage, but they're much more common in other parts of the country (Norfolk, mainly reed) & the south/south-east (mainly wheat straw). Most will be seen by diverting down country lanes - they're relatively uncommon in towns, due to the risk of the spread of fire.

Where else in England are you touring?

John,

Thank you so much for the info. We have the Premier Inn booked in Stratford; which I don't believe has parking. I am still looking for a B&B there. I am at B&B's in the other towns that have parking. We are also staying in York, Windermere, Bath and Southampton.

Just wanted to add my tuppence worth to the excellent advice and suggestions already given by Cotswold Eagle, HawaiiUK, and John Bull...

For anyone planning a visit to the Cotswolds, I highly recommend the paperback AA Ordnance Survey Guide: Cotswolds. It's incredibly chock-full of maps (including suggested driving-tour routes and local walks); A-to-Z descriptions of dozens of towns, villages, and hamlets, with lots & lots of photos; a comprehensive list of stately homes, museums, galleries, and other attractions, with their addresses; and fascinating features about the history, landscape, and social fabric of the region.

Used copies are available via the world's most popular shopping website, for about the price of a pint or two of Uley Hogshead Cotswold Pale Ale (also highly recommended!) or Hook Norton's Old Hooky ale (doubly recommended!)

Archived