Man overboard near San Juan, how does this happen?

jacpan

It doesn't happen. I have been on 9 cruises and the railings on the upper decks are so high that you would have to climb up them and throw yourself over the rail...no way to "accidentally" fall over. Even on the balcony cabins the outside area has a railing that is fairly high. Now if you sit on the railing or lean over it and aren't careful you could fall over but to be honest most times you hear of someone "falling overboard" one of 3 things has happened: they either jumped on purpose; were leaning too far over the railing or sitting on it & lost their balance and tipped backwards; or they got thrown overboard. I hate to think of the last one happening but I know its possible and has probably happened more times than you know. Usually its one of the 1st 2 cases.

Such as: On one of our first cruises, we went out the door onto the promenade deck and saw a young couple who had perched their 5 or 6 year old daughter on the top railing while they stood back and took her picture. We were absolutely stunned that anyone could be so irresponsible and careless with their child's life. Someone else ahead of us reacted before we had a chance to but the parents didn't seem to think it was any problem. We witnessed something similar once on a railing at Grand Canyon, so it's not just on cruise ships.

One or two of the stories I've read about someone going overboard involved something similar - young adults, under the influence of who-knows-what, playing around or showing off, by climbing, sitting, or even standing on the top rail. Very sad that some people lack basic common sense.

One or two of the stories I've read about someone going overboard involved something similar - young adults, under the influence of who-knows-what, playing around or showing off, by climbing, sitting, or even standing on the top rail. Very sad that some people lack basic common sense.

Sometimes it is necesary to thin the herd.

You won't accidentally fall overboard, so there is absolutely no reason to worry about it. As so many have aptly pointed out, it comes from an action to climb up in order to fall over the railing.

That all being said, you are discussing one of the other reasons for a muster drill ... a chance to take a full count to see if anyone is indeed missing.

A "short" family member had the same type of fear prior to going on a cruise this past summer. During sail away, we coaxed her up to the top deck, and upon looking at the railing realized there was no way she, or anyone else could "accidentally" fall overboard.

just do a google search on "sudden urge to jump from heights"

Its not uncommon for people to have that urge to jump.... it's the few that carry through with it that become the issue. Just mix a little liquor, look over the edge of the balcony and that little devil on your shoulder says, "do it,do it, do it!"

I will guarantee there is several people here on this forum that have had that little urge to jump but reality and rational take over.

I believe suicidal thoughts rarely have anything to do with these jumpers.

interesting study......

http://cpnp.org/resource/shared/syndicated/88955-urge-jump-affirms-urge-live-empirical-examination-high-place

I am one of those...i get hypnotized by the water and would love to just jump in...i seriously have to think not to do it...lol..sounds silly right...but just the waves and all...i don't know, hard to explain...but yep, you cannot just fall overboard. you must make yourself, someone must make you, or you must do something stupid to put yourself in that situation.

Have you ever been on a hotel or apartment balcony or even on the 2nd story of a mall that's open to below? It's about like that (if not a higher railing on the ship). You aren't falling "accidentally" if you keep your feet on the ground and don't make any enemies. (hehe)

On another note - I found that whole "desire to jump from heights" comment fascinating. I thought I was the only one who had that little devil in my mind from time to time, and I'm certainly not suicidal. 50th floor of the Marriott Marquis in Atlanta looking down into that INCREDIBLE atrium for a week.... I was like "I wonder..." more than a few times! :eek: Of course I would never because I prefer to be alive rather than dead, but the thought was there and I couldn't figure out why I have those thoughts...

(Says the guy who's been jumping out of airplanes for the last 10 years - with a parachute!. PS - try jumping off the Stratosphere in Las Vegas at night. Wow that was fun!) :)

Everytime I see these stories about people overboard or other mishaps on cruises, it amazes me how the media reporting it (and many cruisers themselves) sound as if the problems on land (crime, suicide, etc) can't happen on a cruise ship. There is a great article on Yahoo that talks about this topic: http://voices.yahoo.com/cruise-law-cruise-lines-responsible-human-emotions-11721298.html?cat=9

I cured that urge by jumping out of airplanes! Honestly, I never had it or understood it but I know that it's real. I've never been afraid of heights either.

I do not bleieve it. Only if a person is delusionial, which could be helped to happen if a person is high or drunk. Stone sober-not likely unless the person is schizophrenic.

Maybe they fell over from gorging themselves with more than one meal in the MDR and then getting delusional from a three dessert sugar high? Or maybe it was the twelve-packof diet soda that put them over the edge? Lots of theories here.....:confused:

After 13 cruises I can prove that this is not the case. If it was food related I would have been gone 12 cruises ago.:rolleyes:

Archived