Tipping in advance because of Teenager

schoolmom

I agree with others who have said that you should have a talk with your daughter about the small space and needing to pick up after herself.

Last year I took my 3 t(w)eens to Alaska and they shared a cabin near ours. They are all slobs, even my daughter! I bought them one of those pop up hampers and expected them to use it. I did help them unpack and made sure their dress clothes were hung. After the first formal night, I made sure to stop by their room the next morning and made the boys hang up their tuxedos so they wouldn't be all crumpled for the 2nd formal night. Usually at some point in the day I'd be in their room, talking to them or waiting for them all to be ready for dinner, and I'd point out things that needed to be tidied up. They were still slobs, but not to the point of inconveniencing their steward. They actually did a pretty good job of keeping the bathroom tidy, because with 3 of them sharing it, they had to!

We took our kids on their first cruise last December on the Ruby and after meeting our room attendant, we did tip her at the beginning. I said I know with the 3 kids(17, 12 and 10) in a room together it might get a little cluttered etc. if you find something on floor or under bed or whatever we appreciate you just tossing it aside etc. Our room attendat was awesome....... when making beds etc. if something was left on floor or bed she would lay out over chair etc. It was great..... we have done this in the past with just the 2 of us and always say something like I know you work hard and being on vacation... I appreciate not having to do the work and your service!

We make it a habit to Pre-tip every cruise.. We also keep the autotips on but we find that it just seems to keep things running smoothly and we never have had any issues. We spread it out a bit, something at the beginning, again in the middle of the cruise and something at the end.

I am pretty neat and tidy, but the cabins start getting a bit cramped near the end of a cruise..

We never pre-tip any of our staff that is providing us a service that they have been hired to perform. We always compliment them and tell them how much we appreciate their efforts. We consider tips to be a bonus to be paid at the end of the Cruise to show them how much we appreciate their efforts.

Tipping in advance will not be necessary. Your steward will be just fine!:)

Though it is nice of you to think about him/her.

I will say, we "pre-clean" the cabin before morning and evening service. I think the stewards (as a rule) work very, very hard. If I can pick up some stuff, wipe out the sink, clear the counters a bit to make their lives a little easier, then I certainly will.:)

We always pre-tip (+ auto tip) our Steward upon meeting them. This way, they know we appreciate what they do for us.

I do not pre-tip:

Cruise cabin stewards

Taxi drivers

Restaurant waiters

Barbers/hairdressers

Spa personnel

others

My appreciation is shown at the end of services having been provided so they know I appreciate what they did for us.

It is very nice of you to want to tip extra for extra work done. I would also let it be know to your teenager just what the cabin attendant does and does not do. I believe they do not pick up clothers and put them away. They will make your beds, clean the bathroon and vacum the floor. They (as far as I know) will not touch your items to be put away.

I have had from time to time, the cabin attendant fold my pants and T-shirt, and place them on the chair. they were not on the floor, but I did leave them on the chair, and he was nice enough to fold them.

Archived