Another dress code question

benalexe

We are going on oasis of the seas during christmas a large group of us are going.

RCL ships on the Americas side of the Atlantic have become to be known as Kmarts of the Seas. You are good to go to dress however you please.

Have a great cruising day all.

Burt

RCL ships on the Americas side of the Atlantic have become to be known as Kmarts of the Seas. You are good to go to dress however you please.

Have a great cruising day all.

Burt

oh oh

I better brush up on my spanish....

This is how the MDR on Allure seemed to me last December, especially on the last night of the cruise. The way most people were dressed, it seemed more like eating in an Applebees or a TGI Fridays...similar to a land-based casual dining family restaurant.

The first time I ever cruised was on Mariner about ten years ago and I felt that I wasn't dressed well enough that entire cruise. But today the clothes I wore then would be fine in the MDR.

My last cruise on Liberty, the last night in the MDR an woman at a table near us wore short shorts and, I do mean short shorts. She was in her mid-forties from her looks.

The strict dress code of ten years ago has gone away. I would say, however, that on formal night, wearing shorts for either men or women would be awkward even if allowed. I think the person wearing shorts might feel underdressed because many people will be in formal or very dressy cocktail attire.

If you want the Titanic cruise experience, book a cruise on the Costa Concodia.

I'm not looking for top coat and tails...I'm not even looking for a tux. I'm saying that people know the dress code is long pants in the dining room when they book a cruise. IMO, people should stop trying to get away with what they want instead of following the guidelines set forth.

We are going on oasis of the seas during christmas a large group of us are going.

I have three boys ages 14, 11, an 8. My question is in the dinning room during the non formal nights can the kids wear shorts with a nice shirt and sneekaers or do they need to wear pants?

Can the men wear a collard shirt no jacket with jeans?

on the formal nights can the men wear Khakis with a jacket and collar shirt no tie?

According to my online chat with RC they said no shorts at all

There's nothing nice about "kids wearing shorts with a nice shirt and sneakers". The moment you threw shorts and sneakers in there, the nice shirt became obsolete.

Have the boys were pants and shoes with the nice shirt.

The CEO posted something recently about the dress code...I can tell you what I replied to him...I cruise on RC for a reason...the upper-scale experience. I'm traveling with 2 boys and they wear the appropriate dress for dinner and then change right after. I'm not expecting you to bring tuxes or suits for the kids. But, respect the people that want that Titanic cruise experience in the MDR and have your kids wear khakis at least.

If you want to be casual, eat somewhere else for dinner. The MDR should be the way it's supposed to be...the more fine dining experience that you expect from a cruise ship. Eat at the buffet that night, or another free restaurant. But let the rest of us enjoy the atmosphere we pay for.

Seriously? there's nothing fine about the MDR experience. Yes, I realize they try hard to make it one. The reality though is the food quality is subpar. Just because they like to dress it up, (or dress you up) does not make it fine dining And I think it's beyond ridiculous to even suggest formal dress while they're serving you TGIF's leftovers. I'm not into pretending.

That doesn't mean that shorts, flip flops, or yes- even jeans are acceptable in the MDR.

I'm a firm believer of smart casual. You know, somewhere in-between pretentious formal attire (and just to be clear, half the women wearing formal attire look cheap. No offense ladies, but your Sale of the Century dress... well.. I totally get why it went on sale),

and Jersey Shore Chic (yes, that goes out to all of you who think your jeans are perfectly acceptable because you know, you paid over 50 bucks for them).

Especially the jeans with the stripper shoes. OMG.. my hubby and I always get a good laugh out of that one.

Does wearing pants to MDR really makes food taste better?

Or does it move you instantly into the upper class?

LOL

No but it certainly shows you have a bit of taste and care about others. I cruise often, but avoid RCI for this very reason. Even at home..we eat at restaurants that some basic requirements of dress. Hard to understand folks that go out of their way to flaunt basic rules of courtesy

In the ten years I have been cruising on Royal, I have noticed a marked move toward more and more casual clothing in the MDR, even on formal nights.

Oasis and Allure seem to be the most casual in the MDR of any of the RCI ships I have sailed. The fact is you can pretty much wear what you want, but know that a few more traditional cruisers may look askance.

For myself, I try to enjoy my meal and not pay attention to what others are wearing. If it were really important to me, I would sail on Celebrity or similar cruise lines where passengers do observe the suggested clothing guidelines.

You might be surprised what some people wear in the MDR on Celebrity. All mass lines keep getting more and more casual.

Dress is an individual issue. Dress like a slob, act like a slob, raise your kids to be slobs and maybe someday they can work for our kids who did not grow up to be slobs.

KS

Just a tad classist and judgmental, don't you think?

Lighten up people! It's just a mass-market cruise. Don't make it out to be a luxurious experience, because it ain't. There - you can judge me now. :rolleyes:

We dress up because we like too. We do not buy our pictures, but swap cameras with another couple several times.

Children should be taught manners and how to use silverware properly, not just stuff fries in their mouth. A cruise for them can be a learning experience in many ways.

If you choose to not make the effort to follow the MDR rules, that is why the WJ is open. You will NOT ruin my cruise nor my dinner arriving in shorts, but I definetly will 'look at you" I'd rather get attention from my DH telling me how nice I look:)

They don't enforce their dress code. I just got off Enchantment and there were guest that showed up in the MDR on formal night looking like complete slobs wearing baggy below the waist jeans tee shirts and skull caps . Most of the other guests were dressed nicely if not formal but some do show up looking like slobs and nothing is done about it by the staff. As has been said before the dress code is a suggestion only and is not enforced.

We had someone a few times in shorts at the table beside us in the MDR. Agree, it is suggested attire now.

Dress is an individual issue. Dress like a slob, act like a slob, raise your kids to be slobs and maybe someday they can work for our kids who did not grow up to be slobs.

KS

There is another word you might want to add to your vocabulary - snob. And as luck would have it, it rimes with slobs. In fact, there really is not much difference between the two.

I'm not looking for top coat and tails...I'm not even looking for a tux. I'm saying that people know the dress code is long pants in the dining room when they book a cruise. IMO, people should stop trying to get away with what they want instead of following the guidelines set forth.

That will happen just as soon as Royal Caribbean starts enforcing the dress code - and that will not happen.

Archived