Another dress code question

benalexe

We are going on oasis of the seas during christmas a large group of us are going.

I have three boys ages 14, 11, an 8. My question is in the dinning room during the non formal nights can the kids wear shorts with a nice shirt and sneekaers or do they need to wear pants?

Can the men wear a collard shirt no jacket with jeans?

on the formal nights can the men wear Khakis with a jacket and collar shirt no tie?

According to my online chat with RC they said no shorts at all

Yes, yes and yes. What you have presented is within reason for todays cruises. Remember, it's your cruise so enjoy it. I used to bring the tux and a suit when I first started cruising only to get all sweaty while getting dressed then just to go back to the cabin after dinner to change. So, be comfortable and bon voyage.;)

We are going on oasis of the seas during christmas a large group of us are going.

I have three boys ages 14, 11, an 8. My question is in the dinning room during the non formal nights can the kids wear shorts with a nice shirt and sneekaers or do they need to wear pants?

on the formal nights can the men wear Khakis with a jacket and collar shirt no tie?

Here is the dress code from Royal Caribbean's website ...

Life Onboard s.gif

Q: What are the dress codes onboard? s.gif

A: There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

con_bulletgray_ico.gif Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

con_bulletgray_ico.gif Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

con_bulletgray_ico.gif Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

The number of smart casual and formal nights is at the ship's discretion.

Shorts are allowed in the MDR at breakfast and lunch but not at dinner. Just bring a pair or two of khakis for each boy to wear to dinner and have them change back into shorts after dinner. My son wears a polo shirt and khakis each night except for formal night. On formal night he wears a dress shirt, tie, jacket and khakis. After dinner he just does a quick change back into tshirt and shorts. Since he wears the khakis only a few hours each night, he can get away with just two pairs.

Your boys can wear jeans. And I suspect they would not be turned away in shorts. I've seen adults at dinner in the MDR in shorts. RCI does not have a dress "code" anymore. Each day the Compass shows dinner wear "suggestions".

Your boys can wear jeans. And I suspect they would not be turned away in shorts. I've seen adults at dinner in the MDR in shorts. RCI does not have a dress "code" anymore. Each day the Compass shows dinner wear "suggestions".

While they do show suggestions, they also list prohibited items (such as shorts) and clearly state that children should follow the same rules as adults. Thus, no shorts at dinner. Can't see the point of wearing heavy jeans, but they are not prohibited.

If Oasis is anything like Allure you will be fine as described; some adults even wore shorts to dinner on formal night and were not denied entrance. The hotel director on the Allure publicly stated during a Q&A that they would not enforce any type of dress code and that all they offer are "suggestions" on what to wear. You will see everything from people extremely dressed up to people more casual than what one would generally wear to McDonalds on formal night and on non-formal nights lots of people will be in very casual attire.

They don't enforce their dress code. I just got off Enchantment and there were guest that showed up in the MDR on formal night looking like complete slobs wearing baggy below the waist jeans tee shirts and skull caps . Most of the other guests were dressed nicely if not formal but some do show up looking like slobs and nothing is done about it by the staff. As has been said before the dress code is a suggestion only and is not enforced.

The CEO posted something recently about the dress code...I can tell you what I replied to him...I cruise on RC for a reason...the upper-scale experience. I'm traveling with 2 boys and they wear the appropriate dress for dinner and then change right after. I'm not expecting you to bring tuxes or suits for the kids. But, respect the people that want that Titanic cruise experience in the MDR and have your kids wear khakis at least.

If you want to be casual, eat somewhere else for dinner. The MDR should be the way it's supposed to be...the more fine dining experience that you expect from a cruise ship. Eat at the buffet that night, or another free restaurant. But let the rest of us enjoy the atmosphere we pay for.

In the ten years I have been cruising on Royal, I have noticed a marked move toward more and more casual clothing in the MDR, even on formal nights.

Oasis and Allure seem to be the most casual in the MDR of any of the RCI ships I have sailed. The fact is you can pretty much wear what you want, but know that a few more traditional cruisers may look askance.

For myself, I try to enjoy my meal and not pay attention to what others are wearing. If it were really important to me, I would sail on Celebrity or similar cruise lines where passengers do observe the suggested clothing guidelines.

In the ten years I have been cruising on Royal, I have noticed a marked move toward more and more casual clothing in the MDR, even on formal nights... Oasis and Allure seem to be the most casual in the MDR of any of the RCI ships I have sailed..

Agree with your comments. There is a dress code suggestion but it doesn't seem to be enforced. But - does that mean passengers should not make an attempt, at least? *shrug*

OP, what about those pants that zip off into shorts? Practical, and lighter weight than jeans. We do not wear jeans in the Caribbean, never have. Your kids are of the age to understand that there is a suggested dress code and that, for the evening, they could wear pants to dinner, no big deal. Many people change right into shorts afterward.

You've talked with RCI and have seen the website, yet are still asking for opinions. This is mine.

Have a great family cruise. :)

Have been on many RC cruises and I have only seen men in shorts in the MDR on the first night. Even the boys on board dress according to the suggested dress code, no shorts in the dining room for dinner, usually jackets, ties, and khakis on formal night. Men mostly in suits and some in tuxes.

I guess the answer depends on whether you are asking 'What can I get by with?' or 'What is the right example to set for my kids?' Personally I have always tried to teach my son to follow the rules as written not to try and skirt them with what he could get away with. OP this is not a slam aimed at you - just the general attitude of many on this board towards dressing at the level the cruise line suggested. Is it REALLY such a hardship for people to put long pants on for dinner in the dining room?

The CEO posted something recently about the dress code...I can tell you what I replied to him...I cruise on RC for a reason...the upper-scale experience. I'm traveling with 2 boys and they wear the appropriate dress for dinner and then change right after. I'm not expecting you to bring tuxes or suits for the kids. But, respect the people that want that Titanic cruise experience in the MDR and have your kids wear khakis at least.

If you want to be casual, eat somewhere else for dinner. The MDR should be the way it's supposed to be...the more fine dining experience that you expect from a cruise ship. Eat at the buffet that night, or another free restaurant. But let the rest of us enjoy the atmosphere we pay for.

RCI is far from an upscale experience, it is a mass market cruise line and even within the mass market category it is not considered premium. RCI has the most innovative ships with tons of activities, fun venues, loads of energy and lots of nightlife. It does not excel in the area of providing upscale ambiance or fine dining quality main dining room. If you want fine dining on RCI you need to partake in the Chef's Table or 150 Central Park specialty venue. The main dining room is akin to a banquet hall. Decent food considering the budget and amount of food they have to churn out, but nothing even remotely close to fine dining. The trend in main dining room dress on RCI has been towards casual. Nothing wrong with dressing up if you want - many others will as well, but to expect the entire passenger base to do so is a losing battle and will never happen anymore. If you want an upscale, Titanic like experience you will have to sail on a line such as Cunard where the dress code is emphasized and generally enforced.

I totally get this question being asked over and over because it's part of the anticipation and excitement of waiting on the day finally arriving when you set sail. I think that its cool that people care enough to ask other peoples advice on the subject, that in it's self suggests you are not going to be one of the 'slobs', lots of good advice on this thread and my advice is, its your holiday so do what makes you feel comfortable. I agree with the poster that says if you don't fancy dressing up maybe rethink dining options for that evening. My wife and I LOVE getting dressed up on the formal nights were not posh but think it's part of the whole cruise experience. Next year we're driving to Southampton to board IOS so I shall be taking my kilt (no huge additional luggage fees) to wear on formal nights and I'm really looking forward to it. Relax and enjoy whatever you decide , it's your holiday.

I guess the answer depends on whether you are asking 'What can I get by with?' or 'What is the right example to set for my kids?' Personally I have always tried to teach my son to follow the rules as written not to try and skirt them with what he could get away with. OP this is not a slam aimed at you - just the general attitude of many on this board towards dressing at the level the cruise line suggested. Is it REALLY such a hardship for people to put long pants on for dinner in the dining room?

The OP asked neither of those two questions, just a simple can these clothes be worn in the dining room. There was noo "can I get away with it?" or " how should I bring my kids up?" Just answer with a simple yes to all three questions and leave people to bring up their kids in their own way.

While they do show suggestions, they also list prohibited items (such as shorts) and clearly state that children should follow the same rules as adults. Thus, no shorts at dinner. Can't see the point of wearing heavy jeans, but they are not prohibited.

How do you feel about lite Genes?

I've never understood why it is okay for Gene to be in the MDR, by not his wife Jean.

I'll be on Allure with my two boys 14, and 17. I'll bring a suit for each for the formal nights, khakis and collared shirts for casual nights. They don't mind getting dressed up if the occasion requires. You can rent a suit. Not sure about the ship, but I've rented suits (not a tux) from Men's Wearhouse in the past.

Does wearing pants to MDR really makes food taste better?

Or does it move you instantly into the upper class?

LOL

The dress code on these mainstream cruise ships is created with one thing in mind - to get your photo taken by a clueless photographer (against a equally tasteless backdrop) and then sell you those horrible photos but an astronomical markup.

A lot of people fall for this marketing trap.

Archived