Clothes steamer question!

cruisingkris01

I'm going on my 1st cruise at the end of January with my parents, who are also cruising virgins ;), and my aunt, who will be cruising for the 8th time! I read that there are no irons in the rooms because of obvious fire risks. I have a clothes steamer that I got on HSN a few months ago. It's a travel size as well. My question is, will this be fine in my checked luggage at the airport or if my luggage happens to be checked, will it look suspicious and get thrown away? Also, do the cruise lines mind you having one of these in your room? BYW, we're traveling Royal Caribbean on The Liberty, if that helps any! Thanks for any and all help!! Kristine :)

many cruiselines extend the prohibition to steamers as well.. you'd have to read Royal's fine print to be sure of their policy.

second the suggestion to bring wrinkle release ( or just pack stuff that doens't wrinkle.. even my formal outfits are like that now)

Downey Wrinkle Release, and packing clothes in dry cleaner bags work well. I have an Oreck hand steamer which I have used on all of my cruises (Royal and CCL), and haven't had a problem with it being confiscated. It draws the same amount of power as a ladies curling iron, and is much safer.

Since you haven't cruised yet, here is what might happen if you take one with you:

You will wait for your luggage but it doesn't arrive. You wonder what is going on. Eventually you will get a call to come to a room in the bowels of the ship (some people call it the "naughty" room) to open your luggage and take out the offending item. They will inspect it, and most likely tell you it will have to be confiscated. It will be locked up in a room for the duration of the cruise. Only then will you be able to retrieve your luggage, carry it back to your room, and finally begin to unpack. At the end of your cruise, the night before you disembark and you are busy packing, you will have to return to the same room and claim your item.

Bottom line: your enjoyment of your first night on the cruise will be compromised with worry and interruption by having to go to that room and having to take care of your luggage. Then interruption of your last night aboard to retrieve your item. And this doesn't even take into consideration any embarrassment you might feel at being caught with a banned item.

Take the advice of most people here - leave it at home, and you won't have your first cruise experience marred.

PS: the same goes regarding trying to smuggle on alcohol. You may get caught, with similar hassles to deal with.

Since you haven't cruised yet, here is what might happen if you take one with you:

You will wait for your luggage but it doesn't arrive. You wonder what is going on. Eventually you will get a call to come to a room in the bowels of the ship (some people call it the "naughty" room) to open your luggage and take out the offending item. They will inspect it, and most likely tell you it will have to be confiscated. It will be locked up in a room for the duration of the cruise. Only then will you be able to retrieve your luggage, carry it back to your room, and finally begin to unpack. At the end of your cruise, the night before you disembark and you are busy packing, you will have to return to the same room and claim your item.

Bottom line: your enjoyment of your first night on the cruise will be compromised with worry and interruption by having to go to that room and having to take care of your luggage. Then interruption of your last night aboard to retrieve your item. And this doesn't even take into consideration any embarrassment you might feel at being caught with a banned item.

Take the advice of most people here - leave it at home, and you won't have your first cruise experience marred.

PS: the same goes regarding trying to smuggle on alcohol. You may get caught, with similar hassles to deal with.

Couldn't have said it better. Great post.

Archived