lobster dinner in bar harbor, maine

dr.dawg

hoping someone can help an 'old man' out. i've been to bar harbor on three cruises, and always intended to have a lobster meal there, but somehow didn't get around to it. now i'm on the may 3 cruise on maasdam from ft. laud to montreal, and we call at bar harbor, and i am HELL BENT to have that lobster meal, because this may be my last cruise up that way -- old wine doesn't 'travel well' any more. i don't care now so much about price, but i want goooooood. something memorable. it will be a midday meal, so nothing too dressy. and relatively close to the tender port, because i cannot walk that well anymore. i am travelling alone on this cruise, and while i don't like to dine alone off the ship, i am going to do so this time, whatever happens -- like a 'bucket list' thing. a rustic 'fish house' is perfect for me. i left a message on my 'roll call' for that cruise, but no one has responded. thanks for any advice. fr. doug

a great 2-pounder, some decent wine, and lots of melted butter, and good bread -- heaven and closure; and i'm probably close to both!

oh, yes, i know i can go to lots of sites on the internet to find restaurant ads for bar harbor, but that is like looking in the yellow pages for a plumber! lol personal suggestions would be much more helpful. i can follow any commercial signs at the tender pier. thanks, again, for any input you folks can give.

Lobster in Bar Harbor is fabulous but it is as good and maybe even better in Halifax. We never fail to enjoy lobster when in Halifax and we're from Boston where we get GREAT lobster whenever we want it. We have a great lobster pound where we buy them very near our home.

Have lobster in Halifax and Bar Harbor and do not miss incredible mussels in Charlottetown. They are the best there!!!!

I HATE making restaurant recommendations as we all know tastes vary and chefs change and while I may have had a great meal two weeks ago, maybe the next one isn't so good.

But seeing you seem to really want some guidance in this matter and given the parameters of your comfort zone, I VERY HESITANTLY suggest you might find lunch right at the tender dock may be to your liking.

We just about never would dream of eating at the most obvious 'tourist trap' place but seeing as most of Bar Harbor is to be described as tourist, why not at the dock. It is picnic benches and rustic, they have a guitar player sometimes who actually adds a bit of background enjoyment. DH and I had lunch there once because we were carrying a large framed piece of art we had ordered and were bringing back to the ship. (Actually is a large picture of Maasdam framed under glass and is fabulous !)

We stopped at the dock and DH had a steamed lobster and whatever I had we both enjoyed.

Have your steamed two pounder, lots of butter and don't miss a piece of blueberry pie if you like that.

This is the absolutely easiest location and hopefully you will find it enjoyable. Give it a look when you get off the tender, read the menu..... take a peek at plates others are eating from :) and hopefully you can enjoy that special lobster.

Have fun...... Maasdam is a great ship

(Clearly we love her or we wouldn't be buying huge framed photos of her. :D )

Fish House Grill

open 11:30 am

http://www.fishhouse-grill.com

for a mid day meal... the Side Street Cafe.... cozy and not touristy

Famous for their Giant Lobster roll.. over 1 1/4 lb of pure lobster;) meat, ( which is what you would net from a 2 lb bug)

Yes, I know that place but OP did not ask for a lobster roll........

He said he wants a two pounder with lots of melted butter. :)

That means a whole, steamed/boiled lobster not a roll. Those are two quite different meals.

The Bar Harbor Inn has a very nice restaurant where you can get a lobster meal - excellent. A place we like to get the lobster rolls there was the Lobster Claw -- it is now closed.

That's a very good suggestion and I thought of mentioning it but that means a fair distance walk up the steep hills.

I tried to accomodate what he described as his particular circumstances and needs.

I wasn't sure he was up to it seeing he mentioned trouble walking.

But I agree that is a place for a good lunch.

There's also Geddy's but I don't necessarily recommend that. It wasn't as good the last time we were there IMO

West Street Cafe is now listed on the 'When in Port Sheet' which is a turn off.

WOW!!! thank you so much, all of you, especially SAIL for the suggestions; they are noted and appreciated. my mouth is watering already. need advance reservations or just go in and enjoy? i'm entering this on my 'to do cards' right now. i trust all of you, but, SAIL, you have cruised so much in that area. now, maybe i'll just to have to eat lobster in both halifax and bar harbor. ok, what for halifax. oh, my, and to think i thought of cancelling this cruise.

thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There was another place that we didn't like -- Tesa's???? I can't remember the exact name.

Now that I have walking problems -- it would be hard for me to get to the Inn as well even with a walker.

You're close. :)

It is Testa's.

On the right hand side going up the hill.

It is near Geddy's. The web cam view we see comes from camera mounted on Geddy's building. :)

WOW!!! thank you so much, all of you, especially SAIL for the suggestions; they are noted and appreciated. my mouth is watering already. need advance reservations or just go in and enjoy? i'm entering this on my 'to do cards' right now. i trust all of you, but, SAIL, you have cruised so much in that area. now, maybe i'll just to have to eat lobster in both halifax and bar harbor. ok, what for halifax. oh, my, and to think i thought of cancelling this cruise.

thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really happy to help, if I am able.

You don't need reservations. This is a 'RUSTIC' place. Just walk up and ask for a table. It's about as casual as it gets what with picnic benches and outdoor (though overhead covered) eating. There is an inside to the building if you prefer but NOT fancy in any way.

Lobster in Halifax is as good as it gets.

The real hard shell, sweet, tender lobsters. DH is the lobster lover in our house though I do eat and like it. His favorite lobsters are in Halifax. :)

We used to go to Captain Jack's along the boardwalk but were surprised to find it closed two years ago. We found a new place and I've forgotten the name of it. I'll have to ask DH. He even puts on the plastic bib when he eats there as he relishes the dripping butter off his lobster and 'digs in'. :D

[/b]

hi, sail. yes i've narrowed it down to the restaurant at the dock and the bar harbor inn up the hill. i know where both are located. if i can make it up the hill to the bhi, is that a significantly better choice? and, also, does the dock restaurant have inside seating? it will be COLD in early may, as i have experienced. again, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for your advice, the good kind that you always give. fr. doug

Yes, there is inside seating at the dockside restaurant.

Bar Harbor Inn is more upscale and more attractive. For a little bit more 'special', if you are able to walk to the Inn, you are likely to enjoy it. See how you feel that day..... if you are up to the walk, plan about 15 minutes depending how fast you walk but keep in mind it is uphill.

I'm happy to have helped.

Anymore Canada/New England/Maasdam questions, please ask away.

Everyone here loves sharing information from our cruises. ;)

yes, again, sail. your dh sounds like me. plastic bib, dripping butter -- oh, give me more!!!! lol. just recommend a place in halifax, and i'll be there for sure. oh, what a treasure of info you are. again, thanks. fr. doug

hoping someone can help an 'old man' out. i've been to bar harbor on three cruises, and always intended to have a lobster meal there, but somehow didn't get around to it. now i'm on the may 3 cruise on maasdam from ft. laud to montreal, and we call at bar harbor, and i am HELL BENT to have that lobster meal, because this may be my last cruise up that way -- old wine doesn't 'travel well' any more. i don't care now so much about price, but i want goooooood. something memorable. it will be a midday meal, so nothing too dressy. and relatively close to the tender port, because i cannot walk that well anymore. i am travelling alone on this cruise, and while i don't like to dine alone off the ship, i am going to do so this time, whatever happens -- like a 'bucket list' thing. a rustic 'fish house' is perfect for me. i left a message on my 'roll call' for that cruise, but no one has responded. thanks for any advice. fr. doug

a great 2-pounder, some decent wine, and lots of melted butter, and good bread -- heaven and closure; and i'm probably close to both!

Don't know that there's any wine involved, but the best lobster we had in Maine was at a lobster pound, right at the dock where the lobster boats come in. HUGE lobster and maybe beer to go with it. A cab could get you there. There are a couple on the road around Acadia. We also had lobster near the port at several places, but none could beat the lobster pound (lobster sold by the pound) You pick your own lobster out of the huge tanks. We chose two, one was huge. We ate on a picnic table outside. Have a great trip!

This thread is making me very hungry...there's nothing in the world I enjoy more than a 1 1/2 to 2 pound lobster! Just the way you asked for it, Dr. Dawg!

I'm now booked on a Bermuda cruise on Celebrity but may cancel it and do the New England cruise since we've sold the inn and are free during the summer.

Thanks, Sail, for all the wonderful suggestions...we had a guest...an elderly lady who is 88... who married a man from Maine many years ago...and she always told me about visiting her in laws and having lobster and blueberry pie!

Sheila,

Maasdam's Boston to Montreal to Boston is one of HAL's best short cruises IMO

The ship is fantastic, great crew, wonderful itinerary, great food ashore for lunch almost every day, wonderful ports....

We've lived in Boston all our lives (except for when DH was in the service and I traveled with him) and we still love going 'north' every summer. I look forward to that cruise every summer and miss when we don't go.

Think about it. :)

We have been extremely lucky with great weather middle/end of August.

We are going July this year because Maasdam is not doing The Viking. HAL has Veendam doing Viking this year so Maasdam has a full season in Canada/New England. :)

Let me know if I can help you in any way. Any questions, ask away.

Sorry, what is a lobster roll? Never heard of one,

Take some good-sized chunks of lobster meat, and mix them with some cut up celery, and enough mayonaise to hold it all together in a salad. Then, take a hot dog roll (the kind with the cut on the top, not the side-split), and grill it on both sides.

Stuff the lobster salad in the roll until it's overflowing. Serve with a wedge of lemon on the side.

Do you want fries with that? (yes!)

Take some good-sized chunks of lobster meat, and mix them with some cut up celery, and enough mayonaise to hold it all together in a salad. Then, take a hot dog roll (the kind with the cut on the top, not the side-split), and grill it on both sides.

Stuff the lobster salad in the roll until it's overflowing. Serve with a wedge of lemon on the side.

Do you want fries with that? (yes!)

Yum, yum, YUM! One thing us New Englanders know is where to find the best lobster rolls! ;)

hi, sail. yes i've narrowed it down to the restaurant at the dock and the bar harbor inn up the hill. i know where both are located. if i can make it up the hill to the bhi, is that a significantly better choice? and, also, does the dock restaurant have inside seating? it will be COLD in early may, as i have experienced. again, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for your advice, the good kind that you always give. fr. doug

We ate once at the dockside restaurant -- it was okay - we would never eat there again.

We much prefer the Bar Harbor Inn -- we were lucky and got a table near the windows -- wonderful view with wonderful food.

Archived