Shipping luggage

Pearl64

Good morning!

A couple days ago we received a booklet from Celebrity. There was an article about sending your luggage ahead of time and it would be delivered to your stateroom. The thought was to avoid the hassle and to save on airline baggage fees. This is to begin in January 2013. I have no idea for what part of the world this will be available. We are on a b2b to Australia/NZ in January. I am sure the cost would be extremely high but was interested to know the details. Also, does it work for going home and does one need to purchase this both ways. We are struggling with packing for seven weeks away from home. We would have to have the suitcases ready two weeks ahead of time according to the article.

Thanks for any info.

Pearl

I remember a long time ago when cruise lines used to tell you to put your luggage tags on your suitcases when you first took the flight to the ship. Then they said you did not even have to get your bags at the arrival airport. They had employees and agreements with the airlines to take the bags "behind the scenes" and they would appear at your cabin. Problem was that occasionally a passenger never got their luggage at all. For us, we never trusted the system. I want to know that the luggage made it on that last flight and was in my hands when we left for the ship. Eventually cruise lines stopped that program. I feel the same way about sending my luggage on ahead. I want it with me when I hit the pier. Plus, we often book a hotel for an advance stay so I am not sure how that would work. Bottom line, that service is expensive and I am not interested in it.

Good morning!

A couple days ago we received a booklet from Celebrity. There was an article about sending your luggage ahead of time and it would be delivered to your stateroom. The thought was to avoid the hassle and to save on airline baggage fees. This is to begin in January 2013. I have no idea for what part of the world this will be available. We are on a b2b to Australia/NZ in January. I am sure the cost would be extremely high but was interested to know the details. Also, does it work for going home and does one need to purchase this both ways. We are struggling with packing for seven weeks away from home. We would have to have the suitcases ready two weeks ahead of time according to the article.

Thanks for any info.

Pearl

I surprised DH for his birthday & shipped the luggage ahead (so he had no idea what was going on) to our hotel however that was NY to MIA via FedEx. Going to NZ is going to cost $$, May I suggest that you pare down your packing. Laundry/dry cleaning just might work out slightly less expensive. Weigh one packed bag and call Fed Ex, UPS to get an estimate. The bags will have to be shipped to a hotel or held for arrival (which may be a hassle) as the ship cannot/will not accept(unless you go through their program). Compare the cost and then compare with airline baggage charges (unless you have elite status/free bags) vs Celebrity cost.

Have a wonderful trip

Carole

I ship for every cruise. Yes, it's VERY expensive, and even moreso for international. I'll give you an example----I just shipped three bags to Eurodam for my cruise at the beginning of this month. The round trip cost was over $800. Can you imagine the cost to ship to Australia?

There are other things to consider when shipping internationally. You will have a lot of paperwork to ship internationally. You must fill out Customs forms and you have to have a complete list of what's in each bag, attached to the outside of the bags. But the worst thing is, you cannot lock your bags in any manner. They will be opened and inspected when they arrive in a foreign country. I had a problem when my bags arrived in Australia because for whatever reason, the Customs office held my bags in their offices for 10 days. I had to have the local port agent retrieve the bags for me and take them to the ship. It was a real pain. Also, some countries can impose a Customs import fee to anything shipped to their country.

I would not chance shipping things on my own for an international trip. One screw up on your part with paperwork could mean you might not see your bags again. I highly recommend using a company that specializes in shipping luggage.

Pretty sure we could just show up and buy enough clothes with $800. We tend to go casual, but nice. No formal.

Personally, I fail to see the reason for what I consider extra hassles. I am already dealing with going to the airport and checking in. So, giving them my bags, then so what.

Of course, we also carry/wheel our own bags off the ship vs using their system. And, we use taxis vs transfer buses.

That is just my opinion. Not the best for everyone.

Pretty sure we could just show up and buy enough clothes with $800. We tend to go casual, but nice. No formal.

Personally, I fail to see the reason for what I consider extra hassles. I am already dealing with going to the airport and checking in. So, giving them my bags, then so what.

Of course, we also carry/wheel our own bags off the ship vs using their system. And, we use taxis vs transfer buses.

That is just my opinion. Not the best for everyone.

There are different reasons why people ship luggage. For me, I'm disabled and I'm confined to a mobility scooter. Schlepping luggage is impossible for me. There are elderly who also can't handle luggage, so they may ship. Not everyone is as obviously able bodied like you, so shipping luggage is a God-send.

There are different reasons why people ship luggage. For me, I'm disabled and I'm confined to a mobility scooter. Schlepping luggage is impossible for me. There are elderly who also can't handle luggage, so they may ship. Not everyone is as obviously able bodied like you, so shipping luggage is a God-send.

Exactly. And, glad this option exists for those in need.

The most recent Celebrity Captain's Club newsletter (probably the booklet you are referring to) has the web site address of their new luggage forwarding partner. There is a link on that page for immediate online price quotes - why don't you check it out?

http://www.luggageforward.com/celebritycruises

I tried the site, and can get a quote. The problem arises when trying to book a suitcase. It is not at all evident how to have it delivered to your ship. Looks like a phone call is still going to be required.

Yes, it was the Captain's Club newsletter. But, I can not place it at the moment with all the recent mail so thanks for the link. We are paring down what we pack but with formal nights, temperature issues, etc. it is still going to be a challenge. We will be using the laundry but many of my items need to be line dried so are really having issues. We will be gone well over six weeks. Then add Air New Zealand's carry on limit of 15# and we will be limited. I have my luggage scale which will be getting a workout on this trip.

Thanks for the replies. I did not mean shipping the bags on my own but utilizing or inquiring about this new Celebrity service. I figured it would be expensive. I was just investigating not stating that I was definitely wanting the service.

Pearl

Great idea! But WOW! expensive! I was thinking this would be great for us in the spring...3 standard bags shipped from here to AU...$1100....even with luggage fees from the airlines..that is crazy!

Can see where it would be very useful to some people and at certain times..

Archived