Mitsugirlys STAR end of the world/pre-Christmas cruise detailed review & pictorial

mitsugirly

Excellent review, Kim! It was great to see pictures of where I will be in 2 weeks!

Can you explain a little more about the airport/luggage service you had so much trouble with? Did you have NCL's BAGS program? or did you have an independent service? I got lost with all the theys & them. :o

Thanks.

Oh, BTW, I'm originally from NW Ohio, too!

Kim - Unfortunately, I am the WORSE picture taker of all time. :eek: Seriously, I am horrible. TBH, Kev's Bermuda thread has very good photos and is a very good write-up of Bermuda in general. One thing to know, not all beaches are the Pink Sand Beaches. Since you are beach dwellers, you will love the different beaches Bermuda has to offer. IMO, Snorkel Park is the worse beach experience offered in Bermuda. It is a close proximity to the ship. However, you have to pay to get in and once in it is very crowded and the sand is over rocks, so it is pretty hard when you want to relax in the sand. It may be nice for snorkeling, or drinking, but not for the usual beach lover's experience. Your daughter, being adventureous, would probably enjoy the caves and probably the dolphin encounter. You really don't need to book excursions through NCL to enjoy Bermuda. They have a boat ferry to take you to St George's or Hamilton. That is a nice way to see the beauty of Bermuda. Of course, they also have the bus route, which is a little hairy. lol I will think of more information to send your way. :D

The problem with Kev's :cool: report is that the pictures are not BIG enough to really see what's in them and what the place looks like...are you listening Kev??? So while the description is good, the pictures aren't helping me out with decisions. :cool:

I thought I had read that not all beaches there are pink. Which one's are? I wanna see pink. :D

I have heard (well read) that the beach right beside where they port is not good and not worth it. I assume this is the "Snorkel Park" right?

Oooooohhh, tell me about the "caves". Do you walk through them, swim through them? More, more, more. What's the name?

Why is the bus route "hairy"? Isn't that the pass that you purchase and use the entire time in Bermuda? I was thinking that was pretty much the way we were going to get around. It supposed to be a good deal. I can't imagine having to pay a taxi each time. That could add up. Of course we can't do what Kev is doing because we have Sakari with us and also driving on the opposite side of the road...um no. I would so mess that up. :p

I,like you, would want to try as many ships in the fleet as I can. The POA will make 3! I'm currently working on it. :D 4 done, 2 booked...and 1 other from back in the day that is no longer in service. :p

Happy Schooling, Happy Planning and well just, HAPPY!

Melanie

Now that's just too much happiness for me. I'm trying to enjoy my last week off before school starts, so I'll be happy until then I guess. Then I'm sure I'll start to turn green at that point. :o

Excellent review' date=' Kim! It was great to see pictures of where I will be in 2 weeks!

Can you explain a little more about the airport/luggage service you had so much trouble with? Did you have NCL's BAGS program? or did you have an independent service? I got lost with all the theys & them. :o

Thanks.

Oh, BTW, I'm originally from NW Ohio, too![/quote']

Thanks and glad you enjoyed it.

As for the airport and luggage service. It was a shuttle service (Airport Shuttle) that is located at the airport. They take you from the airport to the hotel. Then suppose to either pick you up at the port and return back to the airport OR (like I was going to do) pick me up later in the day in NOLA (since we had about 6 hours to kill before our flight). Going there was a breeze, coming back didn't work out.

As for the luggage, it's called Rush-It and they take your luggage to the airport for you (from the cruise terminal) and then you can spend the day in NOLA and then when you get to the airport, you get your luggage from them and then take it down and check it in to the airline you are flying with. It's $25 for I think 4 pieces of luggage.

I couldn't do NCL's "bags" program because we fly with Southwest and they don't have a contract with them.

Why is the bus route "hairy"? Isn't that the pass that you purchase and use the entire time in Bermuda? I was thinking that was pretty much the way we were going to get around. It supposed to be a good deal. I can't imagine having to pay a taxi each time. That could add up. Of course we can't do what Kev is doing because we have Sakari with us and also driving on the opposite side of the road...um no. I would so mess that up. :p

The bus/ferry pass is a very good deal. I think it was $20 for 2 days. The roads are very narrow and every bus is "pinstriped" on the left side with scratches from trees and walls. The buses are safe but the ride to Horseshoe Bay was very exciting (This is coming from a NASCAR fan).

If you want to see PINK sand, the Horseshoe Bay beach is the ONE to go! Check the tide tables - the best time to go there is at low tide! We like to go down there at low tide for walks along the water edge and onto the smaller beaches.

Forget Snorkel Beach - you'd need to wear water shoes.

If you are visiting St. George's make sure to go to Tobacco Bay beach - it's a small one but unique. Good snorkelling off the right side as you enter the water. Not as good as Maya Key (well, that blew me away seeing your fantastic snorkelling photos - must make a note to go to Maya Key next time we're in Roatan). You'll be able to see the ship docked at Heritage Wharf from Tobacco Bay!

We have been to quite a lot of beaches in Caribbean and Mexico and nothing BEATS our Horseshoe Bay beach. One that comes 2nd after HSBB is Tabayana on Roatan!

Edited by bluesea777

The bus/ferry pass is a very good deal. I think it was $20 for 2 days. The roads are very narrow and every bus is "pinstriped" on the left side with scratches from trees and walls. The buses are safe but the ride to Horseshoe Bay was very exciting (This is coming from a NASCAR fan).

Aren't the ships there for 3 days? I know I had read that it is $28 for 3 days and just assumed they were there for that amount of time. :confused: $20-28 sounds like a heck of a deal. This does include the Ferry as well right? I mean like you pay the $20 and it's to use both?

Do the seats have seatbelts in them?

I have been on plenty of rides with pinstripes...actually just had a few of those 2 weeks ago. :D That doesn't worry me. I can duck and pull in really quick when needed. I'm a "mom" hehe Now however, if the roads are anything like St Thomas and hilly...that could get a little scary IF they are driving like a NASCAR. :eek:

If you want to see PINK sand, the Horseshoe Bay beach is the ONE to go! YES!!!!Check the tide tables - the best time to go there is at low tide! We like to go down there at low tide for walks along the water edge and onto the smaller beaches.

I just tried to do this and I'm not sure I'm understanding it:

I just picked a random day that we will be there:

Mon 13

5:31 AM ADT / 0.08 ft11:24 AM ADT / 2.12 ft5:19 PM ADT / 0.09 ft11:45 PM ADT / 2.67 ft

6:21 AM ADT8:08 PM ADT

So...I'm obviously not going to be there at 5:31am when they say the tide is low. 11:24 is high. So basically I would have to be there around 5:19pm to catch low tide? What does this do? Just give you more pink sand to look at or is it PINKER during that time because the tide has just been high and washed up more pink?

Forget Snorkel Beach - you'd need to wear water shoes. Noted

If you are visiting St. George's make sure to go to Tobacco Bay beach - it's a small one but unique. Good snorkelling off the right side as you enter the water. Not as good as Maya Key (well, that blew me away seeing your fantastic snorkelling photos - must make a note to go to Maya Key next time we're in Roatan). You'll be able to see the ship docked at Heritage Wharf from Tobacco Bay!

That was definitely on my list. Isn't that the one with the rocks sticking up really high?

YES, don't pass up the chance to go to Maya Key if you love snorkeling...think NEMO. :D:D

We have been to quite a lot of beaches in Caribbean and Mexico and nothing BEATS our Horseshoe Bay beach. One that comes 2nd after HSBB is Tabayana on Roatan!

So nothing beats Horseshoe Bay because....:confused: Of how pretty it is? Or the snorkeling?

Thanks for your great reviews. I am on the star in 3 weeks and really hope our mini-suite is clean and that the maintenance issues you saw have been fixed. We loved the Dawn in October.

We would like to go to a beach resort with a nice, quiet pool area (no kiddie slides) when on Cozumel. Does Chankanaab have a pool? what is the entrance fee for just use of the pool/beach? Any way to reserve this ahead of time or do you have to show up and hope you can get in? Are there any resort day passes you are aware of on Cozumel? I'm getting bleary eyes searching through reviews. There are 7 ships in Cozumel the day we are there too so I want to have something lined up ahead of time.

The problem with Kev's :cool: report is that the pictures are not BIG enough to really see what's in them and what the place looks like...are you listening Kev??? So while the description is good, the pictures aren't helping me out with decisions.

I thought I had read that not all beaches there are pink. Which one's are? I wanna see pink.

I have heard (well read) that the beach right beside where they port is not good and not worth it. I assume this is the "Snorkel Park" right?

Oooooohhh, tell me about the "caves". Do you walk through them, swim through them? More, more, more. What's the name?

Why is the bus route "hairy"? Isn't that the pass that you purchase and use the entire time in Bermuda? I was thinking that was pretty much the way we were going to get around. It supposed to be a good deal. I can't imagine having to pay a taxi each time. That could add up. Of course we can't do what Kev is doing because we have Sakari with us and also driving on the opposite side of the road...um no. I would so mess that up.

Horeshoe Bay is the most popular PINK SAND BEACH. Crystal Caves is the name of the caves which you walk through. Snorkel Beach which is the beach I don't suggest, is the beach nearest the cruise terminal. Sorry to scare you about the bus scenario in Bermuda. The bus is an easy enough method for getting around. The only problem is you have to wait for the bus, sometimes for awhile. I get too anxious waiting around to get on with my next activity. The other problem is the bus is a bit of a crazy ride throughout the island. This is when things can get hairy. See Bermuda has very narrow roads. The bus gives the illusion of either crashing off the island or hitting other vehicles at some various points. :eek: Again, the ferry is a nice travel solution to get to St George or Hamilton. Kim, I know you are a researcher. Go to Bermuda.com for everything Bermuda. The Crystal Caves are listed there with lots of other options. Also, you can see the calendar of events for your time on the island. You can also track the weather. Lots of good information here. I will look through my photos to see if I have anything to add to Kev's photos. Another thing about Bermuda is the Bermudians are so friendly and you get that safe feeling while visiting the island. The Rum Cake Factory is definately a must see. The cakes are amazing and do not have that heavy rum taste that other rum cakes have. They will give you samples. :D At the Bermuda Perfume Factory you can actually make your own fragrance. Your daughter might get a kick out of that as well. Hope this information helps. :)

Thank You so much for the wonderful review!! I am looking forward to my first cruise!! Your Review of the Star made me get so excited for our trip!! THANK YOU AGAIN!! Your pictures are amazing also!!

You are very welcome. I know I love to read previous reviews right before we are leaving for a cruise. :)

Thanks for your great reviews. I am on the star in 3 weeks and really hope our mini-suite is clean and that the maintenance issues you saw have been fixed. We loved the Dawn in October.

We would like to go to a beach resort with a nice, quiet pool area (no kiddie slides) when on Cozumel. Does Chankanaab have a pool? what is the entrance fee for just use of the pool/beach? Any way to reserve this ahead of time or do you have to show up and hope you can get in? Are there any resort day passes you are aware of on Cozumel? I'm getting bleary eyes searching through reviews. There are 7 ships in Cozumel the day we are there too so I want to have something lined up ahead of time.

Chankanaab does have a pool. It's over by the dolphin swim and right in front of the building for gifts, photos and so on.

The entrance fee to get in to Chankanaab is $21 (there's a $2 off coupon online that you can use). It includes everything except the swims. You can watch the sea lion show, the beach/snorkeling/cove area, the replica mayan ruins, the lagoon viewing and iguanas walking around. It's really a great place to spend the entire day at.

If you are not doing any of the swims, then yes...you just hop in a cab, tell them you want to go to Chankanaab and pay when you get there. You do not pay ahead. They do not turn anyone down and there is not a "limit" on the place. It is a National Park. It is huge and when we were there in March, there were 7 ships in port and we didn't feel crowded at all.

The only other place that I have been to, is in this review...Nachi Cocom and it is an AI pass for the day if you read that review. It's not one that I can really recommend. I just found the beach to be next to impossible to use. The place is nice though and the food is good.

Next time we go, I think I will head next door to Nachi and go to Playa Mia. They just added a brand new water park and it was finished when we were there a few weeks ago. I know my little one would love it. It is also an AI. http://www.playamiacozumel.com/

Horeshoe Bay is the most popular PINK SAND BEACH. Crystal Caves is the name of the caves which you walk through. Snorkel Beach which is the beach I don't suggest, is the beach nearest the cruise terminal. Sorry to scare you about the bus scenario in Bermuda. The bus is an easy enough method for getting around. The only problem is you have to wait for the bus, sometimes for awhile. I get too anxious waiting around to get on with my next activity. The other problem is the bus is a bit of a crazy ride throughout the island. This is when things can get hairy. See Bermuda has very narrow roads. The bus gives the illusion of either crashing off the island or hitting other vehicles at some various points. :eek: Again, the ferry is a nice travel solution to get to St George or Hamilton. Kim, I know you are a researcher. Go to Bermuda.com for everything Bermuda. The Crystal Caves are listed there with lots of other options. Also, you can see the calendar of events for your time on the island. You can also track the weather. Lots of good information here. I will look through my photos to see if I have anything to add to Kev's photos. Another thing about Bermuda is the Bermudians are so friendly and you get that safe feeling while visiting the island. The Rum Cake Factory is definately a must see. The cakes are amazing and do not have that heavy rum taste that other rum cakes have. They will give you samples. :D At the Bermuda Perfume Factory you can actually make your own fragrance. Your daughter might get a kick out of that as well. Hope this information helps. :)

Wow, thanks for all of the information. Yes, I'm a planner for sure. I will go to the site you suggested and look around (if it's one I don't have saved already. :D I have a bunch saved, but haven't looked at them in awhile). I just hope I have enough time to research and plan this time around with schooling and everything. I know this is going to be my hardest semester yet and I'm not looking forward to it. Actually that's an understatement...I'm petrified! :eek:

Do you have any idea how much the taxis run there from place to place? I'm just wondering what another option my be, but just thinking the cost might be too much.

I know when I get the chance to start researching, I'll probably post another thread over on the Bermuda boards...I hope you chime in over there when I do. You have been a wealth of information already. Thanks! :)

Wow, thanks for all of the information. Yes, I'm a planner for sure. I will go to the site you suggested and look around (if it's one I don't have saved already. :D I have a bunch saved, but haven't looked at them in awhile). I just hope I have enough time to research and plan this time around with schooling and everything. I know this is going to be my hardest semester yet and I'm not looking forward to it. Actually that's an understatement...I'm petrified! :eek:

Do you have any idea how much the taxis run there from place to place? I'm just wondering what another option my be, but just thinking the cost might be too much.

I know when I get the chance to start researching, I'll probably post another thread over on the Bermuda boards...I hope you chime in over there when I do. You have been a wealth of information already. Thanks! :)

Kim...Taxis are as much a no go as the Dolphin Excursion. They just are not practical in Bermuda unless an emergency.

You will be using the 3 day Ferry/Bus pass for $28.00

daughter will be 1/2 price at 14.00

Purchase for cash only at the Wharf

There are plenty of busses out of and into Kings Wharf.

Now chill and look at the Crystal Caves which you will not pre book but just go to on your own when you arrive.There is no reservations, no booking on-line no special deals.....

Think as if you were going to a movie....OK

Also a ferry trip to St George and bus or ferry to Hamilton from St George.

Throw in Horseshoe a couple times and a stroll around Kings Wharf.....You are done:rolleyes:

No more hassel...no more worry....Your reading way to much into Bermuda.:eek:

no pre-planning for Bermuda is required.....None KIM None.....Just follow the advice above and think of other things to worry about.

Bermuda is a no brainer.

luv ya

Kev:cool:

Edited by luv2cruise53

Kim...Taxis are as much a no go as the Dolphin Excursion. They just are not practical in Bermuda unless an emergency.

Now chill and look at the Crystal Caves which you will not pre book but just go to on your own when you arrive.There is no reservations, no booking on-line no special deals.....

Throw in Horseshoe a couple times and a stroll around Kings Wharf.....You are done:rolleyes:

no pre-planning for Bermuda is required.....None KIM None.....Just follow the advice above and think of other things to worry about.

Bermuda is a no brainer.

luv ya

I was thinking right on, very well said as I was reading this response. Then I looked down and saw Kev wrote the response. Once again, Kev your right on. Bermuda is the most beautiful place on earth and a very stress free place on earth. The Bermudians are gentle, kind, friendly people.

Bermuda is a no brainer.

luv ya

Thanks Kev. Good to know all of this info. Better to know that the munchkin will only cost 1/2 price too. :D

I still have to plan and make sure we go to all of the places we want to go to. I have a list of several beaches that I want to go to. I'm not really sure about the caves. We've done caves over and over in various places here in Ohio, Chattanooga, the cavetubing. I'm not really "in" to caves and have had my fill of them. The cavetubing experience was great...now I don't mind caves like that. But once you've done the caves so many times...it just because a dark hole with a lot of stalagtites and stalagmites. Been there, done that type of thing. Now if you can tell me that this is "must see" and why, that might change things a little. :p

If you haven't guessed by now, we are big beach/snorkel fans. So, it's a "must" to hit up as many as possible that fit our "needs". This will require a lot of research and planning so that I'm able to fit everything in on this one cruise. Who knows when I'll make it back again. Since there are several beaches, not sure that I would do one twice. :)

I really appreciate all the info! Good to know everything I can about it.

I was thinking right on, very well said as I was reading this response. Then I looked down and saw Kev wrote the response. Once again, Kev your right on. Bermuda is the most beautiful place on earth and a very stress free place on earth. The Bermudians are gentle, kind, friendly people.

Kim, listen to Kev and Eil (new 3 letter denote for Eileen...cause Kev is challenged...LOL)

Bermuda is not like any other cruise....Not like the caribbean, or Alaska, or Florida Bahamas.

You do not need an excursion for every day. You will be in a very nice port area. Pre-booking anything but a Dolphin Excursion is most unnecessary.

Omit the NCL tours completely....You can easily do anything on your own, at your leisure...when you get there without any hassels whatsoever.

Again, no worry vacation....You will have to find something else to worry about this week because your Bermuda planning is in the bag.....Trust me on this and Eil...will back me up.

You are not the first person to go thru this scenario, but if you listen to us you will be more lucky than others who pre-planned up the ying yang, with NCL excursions and catamarans and snuba dives and god knows what else ....And regretted it.

Everything is available at the wharf at your leisure.

Luv Ya

Kim, As far as caves I agree...so you need Beaches. All of the worlds most beautiful beaches are clustered together on the South Coast

many love to start at Warwick Long Bay, and explore in between and up and around Horseshoe to Chaplins Bay.

There are about 6-8 truly special places along the way.

Other than that...Elbow Beach at the beginning of South Coast as you come out of Hamilton, is also world renowned.

All the best beaches are Pink Bus accesible.

So plan away on the beaches girlfriend, but don't forget to go over my review because I cover them all.

Also Tobacco bay in St George is worthwhile when you visit there.

I think Kev and Eil are misunderstanding my term "planning". I don't do the ship excursions...ever...with the exception of this last cruise and ONLY because 1) you can't go to Maya Key unless by cruise ship & 2) only did the cruise ship thing for Bannister because of it being a tender port and they picked you up and dropped you off at the ship. Otherwise, I NEVER, EVER, EVER...do a ship tour....nor do I plan to do one here especially. That's why I will be getting the bus/ferry pass.

My "planning" involves which beaches I want to hit up and where I want to go. I can't simply "arrive" in Bermuda and have no idea what is there. As people have mentioned Snorkel Park is not worth visiting. If I hadn't ask questions, or did any research, I would not have known that this is not a place we want to visit. I have to plan what is at these beaches, if it's something that would interest us and other places we would like to visit (the city and so on). If I didn't research some already, I would not know that I definitely want to visit Horseshoe Bay and Tobacco. I wouldn't know this if I didn't research, look at pictures, ask questions and so on. I just simply do not "show up". Never have, never will. :p

I think Kev and Eil are misunderstanding my term "planning". I don't do the ship excursions...ever...with the exception of this last cruise and ONLY because 1) you can't go to Maya Key unless by cruise ship & 2) only did the cruise ship thing for Bannister because of it being a tender port and they picked you up and dropped you off at the ship. Otherwise, I NEVER, EVER, EVER...do a ship tour....nor do I plan to do one here especially. That's why I will be getting the bus/ferry pass.

My "planning" involves which beaches I want to hit up and where I want to go. I can't simply "arrive" in Bermuda and have no idea what is there. As people have mentioned Snorkel Park is not worth visiting. If I hadn't ask questions, or did any research, I would not have known that this is not a place we want to visit. I have to plan what is at these beaches, if it's something that would interest us and other places we would like to visit (the city and so on). If I didn't research some already, I would not know that I definitely want to visit Horseshoe Bay and Tobacco. I wouldn't know this if I didn't research, look at pictures, ask questions and so on. I just simply do not "show up". Never have, never will. :p

Cool...no disrespect intended...many try and they overplan.

www.Bermuda.com

will give you the lowdown. The best part of these greatest beaches is they can be planned like a hike.....with picnic lunch...etc...by getting off at Chaplins and heading down or getting off at Warwick Long Bay and heading up....

You have a whole wealth of Beaches to explore so Plan away kim...

I just thought you were trying to fill each day with caribbean type excursions and I wanted to make sure you did not fall into that trap with Bermuda.

Well, if you have already been to caves, that is one item you can mark off your list. As you said, caves are basically the same everywhere. Kev's idea to see the Dolphins without paying for the Dolphin Encounter is a good idea to pursue with your daughter. Since you like to take photos, you probably would enjoy the Gibbs Lighthouse. Having three days in Bermuda is a great asset. Best of Luck with your nursing school. I give you much deserved credit as it must be a very difficult task with studying, employment, a young child and a house to keep in order. :)

Edited by camz

Well, if you have already been to caves, that is one item you can mark off your list. As you said, caves are basically the same everywhere. Kev's idea to see the Dolphins without paying for the Dolphin Encounter is a good idea to pursue with your daughter. Since you like to take photos, you probably would enjoy the Gibbs Lighthouse. Having three days in Bermuda is a great asset. Best of Luck with your nursing school. I give you much deserved credit as it must be a very difficult task with studying, employment, a young child and a house to keep in order. :)

Ditto...Nursing School

Ditto gibbs Lighthouse which is a bus stop

Maybe a boat around the island...many located at wharf

But ferry usually works as well.

Chankanaab does have a pool. It's over by the dolphin swim and right in front of the building for gifts, photos and so on.

The entrance fee to get in to Chankanaab is $21 (there's a $2 off coupon online that you can use). It includes everything except the swims. You can watch the sea lion show, the beach/snorkeling/cove area, the replica mayan ruins, the lagoon viewing and iguanas walking around. It's really a great place to spend the entire day at.

If you are not doing any of the swims, then yes...you just hop in a cab, tell them you want to go to Chankanaab and pay when you get there. You do not pay ahead. They do not turn anyone down and there is not a "limit" on the place. It is a National Park. It is huge and when we were there in March, there were 7 ships in port and we didn't feel crowded at all.

The only other place that I have been to, is in this review...Nachi Cocom and it is an AI pass for the day if you read that review. It's not one that I can really recommend. I just found the beach to be next to impossible to use. The place is nice though and the food is good.

Next time we go, I think I will head next door to Nachi and go to Playa Mia. They just added a brand new water park and it was finished when we were there a few weeks ago. I know my little one would love it. It is also an AI. http://www.playamiacozumel.com/

Thanks for all the info on Chankanaab. I decided against Nachi because of your review. I'd like to see some fish. We are thinking about taking the Atlantis submarine ride. Can you buy a ticket for that at Chankanaab?

Cool...no disrespect intended...many try and they overplan.

www.Bermuda.com

will give you the lowdown. The best part of these greatest beaches is they can be planned like a hike.....with picnic lunch...etc...by getting off at Chaplins and heading down or getting off at Warwick Long Bay and heading up....

You have a whole wealth of Beaches to explore so Plan away kim...

I just thought you were trying to fill each day with caribbean type excursions and I wanted to make sure you did not fall into that trap with Bermuda.

Oh trust me, I knew there was no disrespect in there and you guys were just trying to help me out. But I'm glad that you posted the yelling bold part because that when I finally realized we were all on 2 different pages and I needed to clarify myself. You have been most helpful indeed and I really appreciate it.

I am VERY grateful that you did a summary on your Bermuda experience. I am definitely going to take a better look in to this and make notes. That was a big help too!