Mitsugirlys STAR end of the world/pre-Christmas cruise detailed review & pictorial

mitsugirly

Well, if you have already been to caves, that is one item you can mark off your list. As you said, caves are basically the same everywhere. Kev's idea to see the Dolphins without paying for the Dolphin Encounter is a good idea to pursue with your daughter. Since you like to take photos, you probably would enjoy the Gibbs Lighthouse. Having three days in Bermuda is a great asset. Best of Luck with your nursing school. I give you much deserved credit as it must be a very difficult task with studying, employment, a young child and a house to keep in order. :)

Good, glad to hear it wasn't something that I haven't already seen. I will definitely mark this off the list of things to do.

I'll keep in mind about the dolphins. I'm not completely sure how my daughter would react seeing the dolphins and not being able to actually get in and swim with them. When her big sissy did the dolphin swim in March when we were at Chankanaab, we kept Sakari far away from there because we knew she would have thrown a fit about wanting to get in too. This time in Costa Maya it was a quick "look" and run with her because we were afraid of her wanting to go in the water with them. She loves dolphins.

Gibbs lighthouse sounds like a neat picture opportunity. Can you go up in it? Or is it just something to see from the outside?

Yes, it's rough to be me with schooling, work, a little one (you forgot the teenager...well "adult" since he's 18 and he will tell you that in a heartbeat, at home...he can be a handful too), and family life. But, I know I'm not the first to do it or the last. I just have to push through it and get it done. :o

Thanks for all the info on Chankanaab. I decided against Nachi because of your review. I'd like to see some fish. We are thinking about taking the Atlantis submarine ride. Can you buy a ticket for that at Chankanaab?

Sorry, I have never heard of teh Atlantis submarine being at Chankanaab. If it is, I don't know about it and have never read anything about it there.

If you go to chankanaab, you are definitely going to see fish! :p Among other things...

Good, glad to hear it wasn't something that I haven't already seen. I will definitely mark this off the list of things to do.

I'll keep in mind about the dolphins. I'm not completely sure how my daughter would react seeing the dolphins and not being able to actually get in and swim with them. When her big sissy did the dolphin swim in March when we were at Chankanaab, we kept Sakari far away from there because we knew she would have thrown a fit about wanting to get in too. This time in Costa Maya it was a quick "look" and run with her because we were afraid of her wanting to go in the water with them. She loves dolphins.

Gibbs lighthouse sounds like a neat picture opportunity. Can you go up in it? Or is it just something to see from the outside?

Yes, it's rough to be me with schooling, work, a little one (you forgot the teenager...well "adult" since he's 18 and he will tell you that in a heartbeat, at home...he can be a handful too), and family life. But, I know I'm not the first to do it or the last. I just have to push through it and get it done. :o

You can climb up Gibbs Lighthouse, the fee is nominal. Beautiful scenes from that view. The dolphin idea might be a bit dicey given all the facts. I too have an 18 year old who now decided to sign with the US Marine Corps. Boot Camp coming the end of July. He has no idea what he is in for and I am a bunch of nerves about it. :eek:

Bermudas Best Beaches

According to Bermuda Tourism, these are the best beaches:

horseshoebay-index.jpgHorseshoe Bay Beach: Famous for a reason

Once you step foot on Horseshoe Bay Beach you will realize why it is our most celebrated beach. The long, sweeping crescent of pink sand makes it a popular choice any time of year. The nearby Beach House offers snacks, rentals and changing facilities. Off South Road, Southampton Parish.

Southampton Parish (West End)

jobsonscove-index.jpgJobson's Cove: A crystal clear choice

Jobson's Cove may be tiny. But this sheltered cove, surrounded by steep, jagged rocks, is arguably one of the most visually stunning beaches on our island. Take a moment to listen to the waves lap at the pink sand. Put your feet in the calm, stunningly clear waters. See what we mean? Off South Road, Warwick Parish.

Warwick Parish (West End)

tobaccobay-index.jpgTobacco Bay Beach: Bathed in our wonderful history

Tobacco Bay Beach earned its name when survivors of the Sea Venture discovered tobacco growing here. Now, the key thing to notice is the unusual limestone formations off the shoreline, a haven for parrotfish and sergeant majors. This most popular beach in St. George's parish offers equipment rentals and a snack bar.

St George's Parish (East End)

warwickbay-index.jpgWarwick Long Bay: Our longest shoreline

Warwick Long Bay boasts an .8KM / .5MI stretch of sand against a backdrop of scrubland and coastal grasses. Just offshore, a jagged coral island floats above the water. There are also public restrooms here. Off South Road, Warwick Parish.

westwhale-index.jpgWest Whale Bay Beach: Infinitely pleasing

West Whale Bay Beach has a fitting name, because in April you may see humpback whales migrating north to their summer feeding grounds. The large grassy area behind the beach is an ideal spot to enjoy a stunning ocean sunset. Locals frequently use West Whale Bay for shore fishing. Off Whale Bay Road, Southampton Parish.

Have Fun!!!

kev

Kim, I posted that above list on my roll call and a poster came back and mentioned the path.

This is the path I was trying to remember and is a great way to see the best of the beaches:

Warwick Long Bay boasts an .8KM / .5MI stretch ................

There is a beach path that connects Horseshoe Bay Beach, Chaplin Bay, Stonehole Bay, Jobson's Cove and Warwick Long Bay. The dictance from the first beach to last is about .6 miles.

Plan girl,plan

Kev:cool:

I think Kev and Eil are misunderstanding my term "planning". I don't do the ship excursions...ever...with the exception of this last cruise and ONLY because 1) you can't go to Maya Key unless by cruise ship & 2) only did the cruise ship thing for Bannister because of it being a tender port and they picked you up and dropped you off at the ship. Otherwise, I NEVER, EVER, EVER...do a ship tour....nor do I plan to do one here especially. That's why I will be getting the bus/ferry pass.

My "planning" involves which beaches I want to hit up and where I want to go. I can't simply "arrive" in Bermuda and have no idea what is there. As people have mentioned Snorkel Park is not worth visiting. If I hadn't ask questions, or did any research, I would not have known that this is not a place we want to visit. I have to plan what is at these beaches, if it's something that would interest us and other places we would like to visit (the city and so on). If I didn't research some already, I would not know that I definitely want to visit Horseshoe Bay and Tobacco. I wouldn't know this if I didn't research, look at pictures, ask questions and so on. I just simply do not "show up". Never have, never will. :p

I plan for Bermuda. I get the bus and ferry schedules as soon as they are available and decide which busses/ferry will take me where I want to go. Just know that even the bus/ferry schedules listed online, may not be accurate once you get to Bermuda. But they will be close and you will know that you don't want to miss the ferry to St George's because they do not run nearly as often to St George and the bus takes forever. Save your last day for exploring the Dockyard itself. Our Bermuda cruise May 2012, they called a union meeting at 10AM on Friday morning so no public transportation was available until 2:30PM. It was our third trip to Bermuda but it still sucked to buy the pass for 3 days and only get to use it for 2.

Kev or anyone... have you been to Elbow ?

Mich....Yes....Elbow is quite nice, but more akin to beaches in the states ...meaning similar sand...not really a pink beach but still considered one.

Yet the Ocean is gorgeous and a little calmer than Upper South Coast Beaches

bth_DSCF0531.jpg

You can park a scooter here or the Pink Bus drops you off a little ways up and and walk down through the resort but you must beach it to the right not in the resort property area

bth_KevBethsCruise079.jpg

bth_KevampBethsCruise082.jpg

This is a sliver of the public area of Elbow Beach

Sand similar to home though still quite beautiful

The famed Elbow Beach hotel

bth_KevampBethsCruise078.jpg

So this is a fine option for a beach other than Horseshoe. Lunch at the Beach restaurant for the Hotel will or rather could set you back $100.00 per couple.

Bermudas Best Beaches

According to Bermuda Tourism, these are the best beaches:

Horseshoe Bay Beach:

Jobson's Cove: A crystal clear choice

Tobacco Bay Beach: Bathed in our wonderful history

I had all of the above on my "list" of places to go.

Warwick Long Bay: Our longest shoreline

Warwick Long Bay boasts an .8KM / .5MI stretch of sand against a backdrop of scrubland and coastal grasses. Just offshore, a jagged coral island floats above the water. There are also public restrooms here. Off South Road, Warwick Parish.

I had never heard of this place. Have you been here Kev? What is the jagged coral island floats? Can you swim to this? How far?

West Whale Bay Beach: Infinitely pleasing

West Whale Bay Beach has a fitting name, because in April you may see humpback whales migrating north to their summer feeding grounds. The large grassy area behind the beach is an ideal spot to enjoy a stunning ocean sunset. Locals frequently use West Whale Bay for shore fishing. Off Whale Bay Road, Southampton Parish.

I had just read about this place and the whales. Too bad they don't migrate during May. Maybe there's some "slow" whales out there somewhere that take a month longer. :D

Thanks for the info!!!

I plan for Bermuda. I get the bus and ferry schedules as soon as they are available and decide which busses/ferry will take me where I want to go. Just know that even the bus/ferry schedules listed online, may not be accurate once you get to Bermuda. But they will be close and you will know that you don't want to miss the ferry to St George's because they do not run nearly as often to St George and the bus takes forever. Save your last day for exploring the Dockyard itself. Our Bermuda cruise May 2012, they called a union meeting at 10AM on Friday morning so no public transportation was available until 2:30PM. It was our third trip to Bermuda but it still sucked to buy the pass for 3 days and only get to use it for 2.

Oh gosh...now reading this just scared me. I haven't thought about schedules and having to plan that out. :eek: They only run at certain times and there's more than 1 route? I thought Kev said there's pretty much 1 main road and no getting lost. I pictured this long road that just goes all around Bermuda in a circle for some reason.

What is in St George's? I'm trying to figure out what the ferry is for and where it takes you. Does the ferry do the same thing...only it's on water? Do you just hop on one place and ride the ferry to the next? Or is it just for going from one side of the island to the other? Or....? I don't really understand it.

What's at the Dockyard?

Oh gosh...now reading this just scared me. I haven't thought about schedules and having to plan that out. :eek: They only run at certain times and there's more than 1 route? I thought Kev said there's pretty much 1 main road and no getting lost. I pictured this long road that just goes all around Bermuda in a circle for some reason.

What is in St George's? I'm trying to figure out what the ferry is for and where it takes you. Does the ferry do the same thing...only it's on water? Do you just hop on one place and ride the ferry to the next? Or is it just for going from one side of the island to the other? Or....? I don't really understand it.

What's at the Dockyard?

It is pretty much like that, One Road that goes around,Island....but with anything else, there are side roads in life. I will give you the bus schedule again, and the ferry schedule as well.The dockyard stuff will need you to go back and re-read my earlier posts or just go to www.bermuda.com and click the links for Dockyard, beaches, transportation, etc...

As far as Pink busses and Ferry....I have never taken them but I know there always seemed to be pink busses about. Sure, you may have to plan approximate timing, but Kim needs that planning ...it's part of the cruise experience,.

Here is the ferry schedule http://www.seaexpress.bm/portal/server.pt

Here is the bus schedule

http://www.gov.bm/portal/server.pt?o...=2&cached=true

Remeber, these schedules were for October, so to throw more into the mix...they may change....NOT LIKELY.

Ferry is used primarily to get to St. George and Hamilton via Dockyard.

All the busses can be combined with ferries so this oughta give you a challenge.

You can do any combo:

Ferry to St Georges.....then Pink Bus to Hamilton...then Ferry to Dockyard....

or Ferry to Hamilton...Pink bus to Elbow...Pink Bus to Hamilton...ferry to Dockyard...or from Elbow....Pink Bus to Dockyard..

ETCETERA, Etcetera. etc...

Have fun Kim!!!!:D

Kim, one way to look at Bermuda is as an approximate. The ship is docked, its not going anywhere...you are on a freestyle cruise so you do not have to be at dinner etc...

So...say to yourself...In the morning between 9 and 10 we will do this....and arrive at X about....11:00 and then we will do X around...and try to be at X by ....around 4 or 5 we will take X to get back to ship.

Trying to pin down exact times will just frustrate you....

Be approximate:eek:

They are not scary - they are just like any other bus schedule.

Ferry%2520Schedule2012.jpg

Ferry%25202012.jpg

route-map-v6copy.jpg

What is in St George's?

You daughter will LOVE the Wench ducking at St Georges. It happens at Noon.

P1030920.JPG

P1030934.JPG

I'm trying to figure out what the ferry is for and where it takes you. Does the ferry do the same thing...only it's on water? Do you just hop on one place and ride the ferry to the next? Or is it just for going from one side of the island to the other? Or....? I don't really understand it.

What's at the Dockyard?

Photos of Dockyard to follow.

WOW I forgot about the wench dunking! I have photos somewhere, horrible as they may be, of DH participating in the wench dunking. Back when NCL had the Majesty, it was a small enough ship to make the cut and dock at St. George. It was so exciting as we went through the cut, the town's people would gather to greet us ringing a bell and they would fire their cannon at us. :eek: Although I like docking better at the Dock Yard, those were fun times entering the cut. :)

Edited by camz

The first day there we took the ferry to St Georges and witnessed the Wench Ducking (They only dunk donuts in Bermuda)

P1030936.JPG

Then we took a van shuttle to Tobacco Bay (St Georges) - We snorkled off to the left of this photo.

P1030940.JPG

Then off to the original Swizzle Inn by bus.....

P1030949.JPG

Photos of the Dockyard:

If you tour the National Museum of Bermuda you will see this and you also watch others swim with the Dolphins. This photo was taken from the ship: P1030958.JPG

Also taken from the ship - there is shopping in the "Clocktower Mall" where you see the clocks and all around the dockyard.

P1030962.JPG

Edited by peg013

Oh wow, on the Star when it bumped the Explorer. That would have been crazy. I watched the video that was posted on here from the guy that video taped everything. He acted so cool and calm. I think I would have been a little more "worried" and not as calm. Yikes. But the Star still has her battle scars. :D

I'm honestly not a complainer...AT ALL. I LOVE NCL and I cruise exclusively with NCL (I just can’t pass up the cruise certificates rewards deal and I’m working my way up the latitudes members scale) The complaints I have are not really complaints…just observations. I can’t imagine the staff not knowing about them since they are the one’s having to clean and repair them. Others have not noticed some of the things I have mentioned, I’m not sure if they aren’t “stepping” in the spots I was in or using the restrooms I was in. I’m just not sure. It would be neat to see someone going on the Star coming up to see if they go to the same place and find what I found. Maybe they have it fixed by now. I’m not sure. They do seem to fix things really quick and I love that about NCL. Always working and cleaning the ships to keep them in tip-top shape. :)

I didn’t realize they had changed their menus recently. Hmmm. I know some of the things that I had ate, I have had on the other ships and it was good. Other things that I didn’t like the way it was made, I don’t think there could be an improvement because it just didn’t go together (like the philly sandwich with gravy on it????). Either way, no matter what, you WON’T go hungry on any of them. If there’s something you don’t like, there’s always something else to choose from. No worries. I gained 7 pounds. LOL They must have some good food somewhere on the ship.

We have been on the Pearl (which is a Jewel class ship) and we liked her, but after that cruise, the Pearl was our least favorite…and I have to say this because of the “looks”…meaning no huge atrium as you walk in. Remember I’m about that WOW factor and love huge atriums. That was one of the main reasons I picked the Star. I knew she had a huge soaring Atrium. We picked the Dawn for our next cruise because she is the sister ship of the Star and I know she has that atrium as well.

I know we’ll like the Jewel just because of the Nickelodeon. Sakari is going to LOVE LOVE LOVE that. I wish they had it on all of the ships!

I wish I was done with this review so I could start working on the planning stages of my next during my “off” time from school. I only have 1 week left and then back to school I go. EEKKK :eek:

Thanks for the “Grandma” comment. (blushing) :o

You're welcome:D

You had commented on the video I uploaded. The guy at the rail (with the beer belly:D) is my DH. He's a former fireman and cop, he keeps a very level head from his training. Me - a tad worried as we started to come about again after smacking explorer.

Once again glad you enjoyed your vacation. That's the important part - that you just relaxed and had fun!

Kathy

Kim, I'm planning on getting our own snorkeling equipment for the new cruise and also for our son's wedding in Florida in September. Did you buy fins also? How about float vests?

Thanks! Tammy

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2

The Tobacco Bay picture in above post #539 ....

the snorkelling that I menetioned in my post is off the right hand side of the picture.

That's where we were snorkeling too - to the right not left. I screwed it up when I typed it above. Thanks for correcting me....I don't think there is anything off to the left, is there? Just land.

but Kim needs that planning ...it's part of the cruise experience,.

Haha, that's the fun of it. :D

Here is the ferry schedule http://www.seaexpress.bm/portal/server.pt

Here is the bus schedule

http://www.gov.bm/portal/server.pt?o...=2&cached=true

Thanks for these. When I tried to click on them earlier, they would not load. I don't know if what you just gave me is the same as the others you posted or if it just wasn't working earlier for me.

Have fun Kim!!!!

I plan on having fun! :D

Photos of Dockyard to follow.

Oh my gosh peg...thanks so much. I'm going to save these to check out later. Are these off the site Kev posted? I need a jumbo size for my old eyes to read.

Hmmm, as for the wench dunking. Not really our thing. We like to be active, anything involving water and such...but just not "this" kind of water. We don't care about historical stuff, museums, tours or things like that. They are just boring to us. This is probably one of the main reasons I have never gone to the ruins yet. It would only be a photo opportunity for me and then I would be ready to leave. I know I have friends that will post about going to these Civil War reenactments or watching jousting...um no, that kind of stuff is no interest to us what so ever. Give me beach, water, and palm trees with animals and fish and we're one happy camper. :D

Then we took a van shuttle to Tobacco Bay (St Georges) - We snorkled off to the left of this photo.

P1030940.JPG

Now that's what I'm talking about!!!! :D

Kim, I will be sailing on the Star 1/20, do you recall how many dress up or not nights there were?

Thanks

Michelle

Dress up or not? That's every night. :p That's why it's freestyle. You can dress up if you want and get your pictures done in the Atrium every night and go to dinner in Versailles...or not and do whatever else you want. That's the beauty of it. There's no certain dress up night.

You're welcome:D

You had commented on the video I uploaded. The guy at the rail (with the beer belly:D) is my DH. He's a former fireman and cop, he keeps a very level head from his training. Me - a tad worried as we started to come about again after smacking explorer.

Once again glad you enjoyed your vacation. That's the important part - that you just relaxed and had fun!

Kathy

Ohhhh, so that was your hubby! Yes, that explains why he was SO calm about hitting the other ship. I love the fireman!!! (and medics)...they are some of the best people I know.

Kim, I'm planning on getting our own snorkeling equipment for the new cruise and also for our son's wedding in Florida in September. Did you buy fins also? How about float vests?

Thanks! Tammy

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2

Tammy,

Yes and Yes. :D

We purchased our snorkel "set" 3 cruises ago. We got the US Divers kit that comes with everything...including the fins. The fins are the small half size fins and I LOVE them!!! They work excellent and the kit comes in a plastic/mesh/material case and easily packs in your suitcase sideways.

This is what I have:

1009690520_125.jpg

It's called the Diver "Diva". Back when I purchased mine, it was less than $40.

This past cruise, we decided to go ahead and purchase the snorkel vest since we snorkel every where we go...I just thought it would be a good idea and we could have paid for them already in all of the "rental" fees for them around $5 a pop. Plus they are material and fold up flat...so once again, it doesn't take up any room in the suitcase.

I also "splurged" this time around and purchased some snorkel socks and I LOVE them! They were about $10 at the local dive store. They kind of doubled as shoes as well on the beach when I needed them to (Bannister Island). It worked out great and the best $10 I have spent on snorkel stuff. :D

I plan on having fun! :D

Oh my gosh peg...thanks so much. I'm going to save these to check out later. Are these off the site Kev posted? I need a jumbo size for my old eyes to read.

Hmmm, as for the wench dunking. Not really our thing. We like to be active, anything involving water and such...but just not "this" kind of water. We don't care about historical stuff, museums, tours or things like that. They are just boring to us. This is probably one of the main reasons I have never gone to the ruins yet. It would only be a photo opportunity for me and then I would be ready to leave. I know I have friends that will post about going to these Civil War reenactments or watching jousting...um no, that kind of stuff is no interest to us what so ever. Give me beach, water, and palm trees with animals and fish and we're one happy camper. :D

No they are from our 30th Anniversary Cruise on the Star May 27, 2012. It was our third cruise to Bermuda. The first 2 were on the Dawn in 2009 and 2010.

Ohhhh, so that was your hubby! Yes, that explains why he was SO calm about hitting the other ship. I love the fireman!!! (and medics)...they are some of the best people I know.

Kim,

He survived a near fatal chainsaw accident 10 years ago. He kept calm throughout the whole ordeal-- he is an amazing man.

The reason I said this is the nurses who took such great care of him at Cornwall Hospital and St. Lukes. His first night in the hospital the nurse on duty stayed with him for much of the night. To this day I have yet to find out her name. NURSES are our unsung heroes! Thank you from the bottom of my heart to all you nurses out there!

Kathy