The list of drinks included in UBP

mw_1970

I think it's crazy. Just charge $5 more a day and it covers everything. You shouldn't have to worry about every choice, fight with the bartenders, get different answers from different people. The whole point of this is to make it easier from a budgeting standpoint, but it's causing major headaches to both the staff and the passengers.

This thread, around post 12-13, has a pdf which indicates, contrary to the NCL website, that the mixed drinks price limit is $8.50.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1845628

I have no idea what that buys or doesn't. So the list pictured above is only a hint at the full story.

NCL is really messing this up.

If we decide against the UBP for hubby and I but want to get the soda package for the 2 teens - do the same rules apply and I have to buy the soda one for all 4 of us?

I just don't drink enough for it to be worth it and what I do drink isn't really covered - crazy mixed fruity drinks and sweet martinis and cosmos. If I ever tried to make the UBP worth it, you'd find me asleep on a deck chair most days or falling down those glass stairs. Dh could make it pay off in Whiskey and beer on the ship days but not in the long run.

^^No the soda cards can be purchased for just one person

I have a question! Going on the Sky soon. Is the UBP fleet wide now? Is it still $49 per day and are buckets of beer included?

It is on the Sky. No, buckets of beer are not included.

The DH does love the buckets of beer, so this will be quite the experiment for us in a few weeks on Breakaway.

We do love cocktails on our Balcony and I tend to buy a bottle of wine or two for the cabin and he used to get his buckets of beer for that, so I will give some insights on that when we get back.

I like the concept of UBP because you know right up front what the money out will be, not the checking every day to see what you are spending on board.

Maybe we need a thread so for the pros and cons of the UBP :D

Kathy

• 4 weeks later...

I had this package in January - didn't overdo it, but mimosa at breakfast, couple of frozen drinks throughout the day, wine (by the glass) at dinner & martini night cap - sure adds up fast! Plus it was great to try different wines, mixed drinks, & martini's - sent a few back as yuck! Lol! Found a few wines/drinks I really liked that I wouldn't have otherwise tried...

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Really am so undecided about this. We leave next Sunday and we need to make our decision as I'd like to pre-order and pay for so it's not on my charge at the end of the week.

We will be docking Bermuda so we are not 100% it make sense. The first and last day that we are docked we plan to just walk off the ship and see what's around the dock and spend part of the day at the pool but Thursday we will spend the day at the beach.

I also don't want to feel like I have to constantly be drinking in order to get my money's worth but I also know that with the drink prices it would not take long to add up. Like a previous poster - mimosa in the morning, couple of drinks at the pool, drink to take back to the room while gettng ready for dinner, wine, maybe caisno drinks.l

I think may just for the peace of mind to not have to worry about whether or not we will have a huge bill at the end of the week but I know if I keep track of my slips and find out we didn't spend the full amount I'll be aggravated that I made the decisio to purchase.

Sorry for the rambling :)

Really am so undecided about this. We leave next Sunday and we need to make our decision as I'd like to pre-order and pay for so it's not on my charge at the end of the week.

We will be docking Bermuda so we are not 100% it make sense. The first and last day that we are docked we plan to just walk off the ship and see what's around the dock and spend part of the day at the pool but Thursday we will spend the day at the beach.

I also don't want to feel like I have to constantly be drinking in order to get my money's worth but I also know that with the drink prices it would not take long to add up. Like a previous poster - mimosa in the morning, couple of drinks at the pool, drink to take back to the room while gettng ready for dinner, wine, maybe caisno drinks.l

I think may just for the peace of mind to not have to worry about whether or not we will have a huge bill at the end of the week but I know if I keep track of my slips and find out we didn't spend the full amount I'll be aggravated that I made the decisio to purchase.

Sorry for the rambling :)

I, too, am a tad undecided but leaning toward doing it for an Alaska cruise coming up. There is a fair amount of ship time in AK...two sea days plus the glacier cruises makes for a lot of time on deck at the bar. In Bermuda, the ship just sits there docked for three days, right? With that much time potentially off the ship, the UBP may not make sense.

Don't aggravate yourself. If you choose the UBP, don't save the tickets for counting later. No good can come from that!

Did I read somewhere that there is fountain lemondate or ice tea available at no charge? If there is I may be more apt to drink that by the pool during the day.

I was kind of figuring out last night that is you average the cost of the 3 drinks (beer $5.50 / mix $8.50 / wine $10) that works out to about $8 per drink making it about 14 drinks a day between the two of us to break even on the cost of the UBP. Not really sure it make sense but then again I'm sure there will be days where I have more drinks then others.

Thanks

Did I read somewhere that there is fountain lemondate or ice tea available at no charge? If there is I may be more apt to drink that by the pool during the day.

I was kind of figuring out last night that is you average the cost of the 3 drinks (beer $5.50 / mix $8.50 / wine $10) that works out to about $8 per drink making it about 14 drinks a day between the two of us to break even on the cost of the UBP. Not really sure it make sense but then again I'm sure there will be days where I have more drinks then others.

Thanks

If you want to drink lemonade and tea poolside just remember every time you want a refill it is back to the buffet you must go. Not available from any of the bars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

• 1 year later...
I had this package in January - didn't overdo it, but mimosa at breakfast, couple of frozen drinks throughout the day, wine (by the glass) at dinner & martini night cap - sure adds up fast! Plus it was great to try different wines, mixed drinks, & martini's - sent a few back as yuck! Lol! Found a few wines/drinks I really liked that I wouldn't have otherwise tried...

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I agree, it does add up and fast and I think its worth the peace of mind. Also I think a lot of people don't realize how much they actually drink onboard. The ability to try new drinks was great...except the tomato beer(i still have nightmares) the bartenders were even suggesting different drinks to try. The scary part is looking at the folio, because you will see every single order on the folio and yes you to will go to pursers desk to "just make sure" your not being charged.

Why are there so many spelling errors in that drinks menu? Is it legitimate??

The list you referenced was posted two years ago! It has been modified since then allowing more expensive drinks in the package. Yes, it was legit when it was posted, typos and all.

• 3 weeks later...

I read somewhere that there are still black-out dates for the UBP. Does anyone know if that is still the case and what dates those are - in March & April I believe it is. We are on the March 29th Star out of LA and asked our agent to include the UBP, but heard nothing from her that it was not available during that date :confused:!

Thanks?

I read somewhere that there are still black-out dates for the UBP. Does anyone know if that is still the case and what dates those are - in March & April I believe it is. We are on the March 29th Star out of LA and asked our agent to include the UBP, but heard nothing from her that it was not available during that date :confused:!

Thanks?

A 15% gratuity plus any applicable taxes will be added to all package purchases. Packages must be purchased by all qualifying individuals residing in the stateroom or additional staterooms under the same method of payment for the entire length of the cruise. Packages may not be shared and are non-transferable and non-refundable. You must be at least 21 years of age to purchase any alcoholic package and to consume alcohol. See the terms of our guest alcohol policy. Other terms and conditions may apply. This package is not available for purchase on charters, sailings that are two (2) days or less and Pride of America. Also not available during blackout dates of March 1 – April 15, applies to sailings that includes these dates. Blackout dates do not apply to Norwegian Jade or Norwegian Spirit.

Those terms and conditions are not accurate.

Word on the street (here) is that NCL is selling the UBP during spring break to individuals 25 years of age or over.

One should call NCL for clarification and/or per-order the UBP (it's cheaper anyway).

Word on the street is also the word of NCL. UBP for people 25 and over during "spring break".