Liquor from ports

Okay, I know that when you buy liquor in ports, you are supposed to drop your liquor off at the table when you re-board the ship.

It just seems to me that it would be so easy to not stop at that table to drop off the liquor, and to just keep walking past that table assuming that it's not obvious that you have liquor. I have known one person who said they didn't stop and drop off the liquor and took it back to the cabin with them.

Has anyone else tried not dropping your liquor off, and what have your experiences been?

I did once in Grand Cayman but then again they were not looking for alcohol like they were in other ports . If you buy liqour there it is usually delivered to the ship, you cant walk around with it. I bought a special type of rum somewhere on the island and the person gave me the bottle . I didnt drink it on the ship though . I wanted to bring that bottle home .

If you come back when a lot of people are coming back it is hectic and crowded so I imagine it would be easier then to bring the bottle aboard by walking past the table. If you are the only ones coming back it is probably easier for them to make sure that you stop at the table.

I did this coming back onto the ship in Cozumel. I had a large bottle of tequila in my backpack and was told to stop at the table. I said "sure no problem" and walked in that direction and then quickly walked up the stairs without stopping. A guy came running, yelling for me to stop but I just kept walking. Still not sure why I did it since I didn't intend to even open it. Must've been the liquid courage I drank that day. :rolleyes:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

I brought on a bottle of Appletons and a bottle of rum cream while in Jamaica. Same as the others here, I didnt open them on the ship, but I liked the idea of having it with me, rather than take the chance it would not make it to my room on the last night. I agree, that it depends on how busy it is when you board, the busier it is the easier it will be. Just keep walking like you have somewhere to go.

Last year in Ocho Rios, we re-boarded and I hade a bottle of Rum in my bag, they told me to drop it off at the table, but there was no one at the table to take it, so i just carried it to my room no problem whatsoever.

and some rules are meant to be broken!

The first cruise I went on you could buy alcohol from the ship store and take it to your cabin to drink. I am not talking about Bon Voyage store where they rack you over the coals. I don't consider it stealling any more than Carnival considers marking up the Bon Voyage alcohol by double what you pay in port stealing. I don't mind paying a markup but double the price. If bringing on liquour is stealing then Carnival is stealing from us by charging that price.

The first cruise I went on you could buy alcohol from the ship store and take it to your cabin to drink. I am not talking about Bon Voyage store where they rack you over the coals. I don't consider it stealling any more than Carnival considers marking up the Bon Voyage alcohol by double what you pay in port stealing. I don't mind paying a markup but double the price. If bringing on liquour is stealing then Carnival is stealing from us by charging that price.

Agreed

Well said.

Kevin C

Do you really save anything by buying liquor at ports?

Seems like they price match on the ship depending upon where the ship is going leaving no savings for buying off the ship.

Depends what your buying and if the shops on a island offer other incentives . Somtimes there are brands and flavors not available on the ship . Other shops on shore offer free items with a purchase of a certain amount. I got a free large rumcake for purchasing $40 or more from a shop in GC . However on that trip my alcohol purchases were delivered back to the ship .

Depends what your buying and if the shops on a island offer other incentives . Somtimes there are brands and flavors not available on the ship . Other shops on shore offer free items with a purchase of a certain amount. I got a free large rumcake for purchasing $40 or more from a shop in GC . However on that trip my alcohol purchases were delivered back to the ship .

We usually will purchase Sheridans on the ship the first night at the liquor tasting. Few cruises ago saw the price was higher than before so only purchased one.

Three months later on next cruise saw the price was much lower so asked the salesman.

They price match based on the ports they go to and since we were going to ports without good liquor pricing they jacked up the pricing.

Yes, someone can always find ways to violate the rules if they so choose. Too bad there aren't greater consequences for those that try.

If they aren't affecting you directly, what do you care? Nobody follows every rule/law all the time. This world is so over-regulated. Certain laws, i.e. violent/property crime are important, the rest are a slap in the face to personal liberty. People who crave a totalitarian, nanny state are lacking something.

If they aren't affecting you directly, what do you care? Nobody follows every rule/law all the time. This world is so over-regulated. Certain laws, i.e. violent/property crime are important, the rest are a slap in the face to personal liberty. People who crave a totalitarian, nanny state are lacking something.

It seems to depend, at least in part, on the ports. I like to buy local beer, not available on the ship, and bring it back. Jamaica tends to be tougher than other ports. I usually get it past the scanners, but not always. Cozumel and Grand Cayman are easier.

Some people buy liquor in the ports and put it in a rum-runner. The risk is that if you get cought, you lose the liquor AND the rum-runner.

We usually will purchase Sheridans on the ship the first night at the liquor tasting. Few cruises ago saw the price was higher than before so only purchased one.

Three months later on next cruise saw the price was much lower so asked the salesman.

They price match based on the ports they go to and since we were going to ports without good liquor pricing they jacked up the pricing.

This is good information! I always buy Sheridan's becuase its so good, and not available in the states. What ports were you going to that the prices were jacked up? Ill have to try and avoid those ones! lol

:rolleyes:

Shame on all of you violating the rules about booze on board. People like you end up costing all of us money. Where you really raised to steal???

I am a little confused...how are you stealing something you paid for? Maybe I misread the post and i am not coming to the conclusion that you are calling me and everyone else that brings a little booze on the ship a thief. Trust me...with a SS bill of over 1000$ with everything I buy and do on the ship I do contribute plenty of money to the Carnival Corporation! Loosen up and enjoy your vacation without being the vacation police:rolleyes: I am going to have fun if I smuggle or if I dont...really not your buisness :D

Archived