Cheers Comparison Chart

AndrewD65

Just returned from Miracle holiday sailing. There is a 15 drink limit. Sounds like a lot but it goes quick. All drinks are measured, not a shot but 1 oz. Bloody mary in the morning counts as two drinks unless you get the little 7oz. glass then it is one. Coffee with kahlua and baileys counts as two drinks. Program sounds good and we saved money but 2 bloody marys in the morn and a couple of coffee drinks we we half way by 2pm. ALL drinks are served in small 6-7oz glasses not the large drinks you see others getting. By the time dinner comes around with a glass of wine and maybe a limoncello after you are almost limited out. We were shut off twice by 9pm. I know it sounds like we are raving alcoholics but we are not, wine, soda, cordials etc add up fast. Yes soda counts as a drink. You can not purchase a drink with your sign and sail if you hit the magic 15. Sober or not 15 is it. The program was worth it but there are some issues to still be ironed out.

What a bad System !! Only 15 Drinks ? That is Realy quickly !! What a stupid System !!! Now i'm angry.. Realy .. At a other Cruisesship, there was also an ALL YOU CAN DRINK, but WITHOUT A LIMIT !! That was better like that Stupid Thing ..

My brother and his partner just got back from the Dream a week ago and both bought the program. They did not experience what you are saying.

They were told that they could be cut off at 15 drinks, but only if they were obnoxiously drunk. They said they saw people being shut off once or twice - but they said they only saw it when people were outright drunk.

They did NOT get smaller drinks, and they said they did go over the 15 drink limit on two days with no problem (but then again they had spaced things out)

What a bad System !! Only 15 Drinks ? That is Realy quickly !! What a stupid System !!! Now i'm angry.. Realy .. At a other Cruisesship, there was also an ALL YOU CAN DRINK, but WITHOUT A LIMIT !! That was better like that Stupid Thing ..

Calm down, the poster above you has 1 post so far on the boards. It could be a truthful post, but most likely they are just being a jerk posting incorrect info to anger people.

There is not way they would count a Bloody Mary as two drinks....because you can only order one at a time. Same with a coffee drink...if you order a drink with two types of liquor, they do half a shot of each....just like you can order a Long Island and you get roughly 1/4 ounce of vodka, gin, rum, tequila, triple sec...

As for the measuring drinks, I think every time I've ordered a drink on the ship they used a shot glass and measured the liquor.

Like the other posters have said from personal experience using the program, don't act like a drunk fool and you won't get cut off.

Not worth it to us since we drink Fosters Beer. At $6.75 a can we would have to drink 7 Fosters a day each which is about 14 regular beers a day for each of us. (Fosters beer cans are 25 ounces where a regular can of beer is 12 ounces).

We would both have to buy the package and no way could I see us consuming 28 beers together a day on a cruise. :eek:

I would like to remember my cruise.

This is the best deal on the ship for a beer drinker.I don't drink anymore,but it would be hard for me to spend almost 700 dollars on drinks for a 7 day cruise. On port days I would do most of my drinking in port and have a few on the ship. I guess if you don't cruise three times a yr like I do it would work.I would take that 700 dollars and go on a cruise.I use to gamble a lot also. I would lose five hundred dollars in a few hrs and say to my self,I could of went on a 5 night cruise for that.I think it depends on how much you cruise and how much cash you have.

Most of the 1 liquor mixed drinks are served in the small glass, if you ask for a tall glass, they try to give you a double.

If you get a margarita, martini, DOD, pina colada, they are in the the normal glasses. The DODs aren't in the souvenir cups, but after the 2.0 upgrades, they don't have the DOD cups anymore.

So, to get a "large" bloody, ask for it in a tall glass with 1 shot.

By the way a shot of liquor is 1 oz.

Partially off topic, but not really...

I was going to ask about "floaters" but as a not very seasoned or in-the-know drinker: Is a floater when you order something like a frozen margarita, and then add a shot of Patron on top of it?

So in order to do this with the Cheers program, I'd probably want to order a shot of Patron, and then five minutes later order a frozen margarita?

I read on some of the original threads, from people off the Spirit, that they ordered floaters and they charged them separately with the 25% off.

I ordered everything and didn't have any issues. I had martinis at the martini bar, the classic cocktails, (I love the cruiser) the frozen drinks, and wine. Even the bar waiter in the MDR told me to try a different wine, which was $10, he said it worked on the program.

I only saw one person get shut off. And he was also buying drinks for others, but they made him wait the 5 mins. I don't think the bartenders/ waitstaff would let you do that all the time, but if you got a drink for your SO or if you were trying to impress a woman...they know you are there to have fun, and they want you to have a good time too. It helps a lot if you get to know some of the bar staff, the first night is not the night to be trying to "work" the system. Of course if every other drink you get is for someone else, I don't think they will let you get away with it, but one or 2 won't be a problem.

Edited by spikester

Partially off topic, but not really...

I was going to ask about "floaters" but as a not very seasoned or in-the-know drinker: Is a floater when you order something like a frozen margarita, and then add a shot of Patron on top of it?

So in order to do this with the Cheers program, I'd probably want to order a shot of Patron, and then five minutes later order a frozen margarita?

Yup, that is excatly what a floater is...

To work with the Cheers program, that's what you would have to do. But it seems like people that have used the program that make nice with the bartenders that the bartender will give you both and just ring the second drink in after the five minutes.

I understand the idea of ordering the FROZEN drink second, but I feel with myself I would have to order hte margarita first and then the shot after five minutes because I think if the shot was sitting right in front of me, I would get tempted.

search for the my awesome bar program to find the old threads, but really I think that it depends on the bar tender, and the ship as to how they would ring it up. I see tons of different information, it doesn't seem that it is consistant on all the ships.

Perhaps this has been asked and I missed it somewhere, but on the 8 day cruise, do you pay for the day you disembark as well? Or would I pay Saturday through Saturday, since I won't be "on the ship" on Sunday?

The "day" is 9 AM to 9 AM. Therefore you actually pay for each remaining night of the cruise.

Edited by gtalum

I found this information online and thought it would be useful for anyone debating if the cheers program would be worth it to them or not.

The question many are asking: "Is it worth it?"

Program Cost = $49.40 per day with gratuity

Sample 1

5 - Martinis

($8.95/per)

= $51.50 with gratuity

Sample 2

7 - Top Shelf Vodka Drinks

($7.50/per)

= $53.63 with gratuity

Sample 3

8 - Domestic Beers

($5.75/per)

= $52.96 with gratuity

Sample 4

4 - Domestic Beers

3 - Sodas

2 - Drinks of the Day

= $50.43 with gratuity

If you can drink on average one of the samples above in a day, this program will save you money.

Wouldn't be worth it for us smugglers. 2 liters of booze, 6 bottles of wine, and a case of beer on our last cruise. $100 compared to $700, we will keep on smuggling.

When the program was first introduced I dismissed it out of hand as too expensive. But when I told hubby about it he said, wait a minute.... On past cruises we order a bottle of rum and vodka from BV, plus bring our own mixers and 2 bottles of wine. Outside of that one DOD in the afternoon. But that means we drink in our room... and how fun is that? Last cruise we ended up in the Piano Bar and had a glorious time singing to the oldies with our fellow passengers... we each ordered 5! rum and colas over the course of the evening, about 5 hours. We are seriously considering it for our upcoming Breeze cruise...especially since we've decided this will be a relaxation cruise instead of the very active excursion loaded cruise of 2012. A Mimosa in the am, a frozen drink after lunch, 2 glasses of wine with dinner, and a couple, or more, martinis in the evening... might be worth it.

I might be tempeted if we were just going on a short cruise, but seeing that we are going to be gone for 15 days, that would cost us $1476! That is two more cruises for us! Putting it that way, this is not for us...this time... :)