Studio cabin

browneyes70

I have heard some cruise lines have what they call CATEGORY 1A STUDIO CABINS they are really small like 650 sq ft enough for 1 person my dad has stayed in one of these on carnival . I am a single travler most of the time and i feel they discriminate on us they want you to book a regular cabin and charge you double i don't want to take up that space where a couple or 2 people could have just for me plus can't afford that . I was wondering if anyone might know if Carnival still has these rooms and if so which ship I am wanting to go on the MAGIC may of 2014 to the Bahamas leaving out of Galveston.. PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP .....

I have heard some cruise lines have what they call CATEGORY 1A STUDIO CABINS they are really small like 650 sq ft enough for 1 person my dad has stayed in one of these on carnival . I am a single travler most of the time and i feel they discriminate on us they want you to book a regular cabin and charge you double i don't want to take up that space where a couple or 2 people could have just for me plus can't afford that . I was wondering if anyone might know if Carnival still has these rooms and if so which ship I am wanting to go on the MAGIC may of 2014 to the Bahamas leaving out of Galveston.. PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP .....

Here you go:

I've sailed in them. They're fine for one person.

The only cruise that I know of that offers single occupancy cabins without the single occupancy surcharge is on the NCL Epic.

Also, your reference to 650 square feet is totally inaccurate. Carnival has the most square footage per cabin of any line and an inside would be 185 square feet.

Carnival's 1A cabins are not necessarily just for one person, and the pricing reflects it. They are generally the smallest cabins on the ships that have them, but they *are* set up with two berths. The big difference is that generally one of these berths is on the floor, and the other folds down from the wall; there is no way that they can be made up into a queen/king bed, as can the single beds in most cabins on most ships.

I sailed solo in a 1A on the Carnival Ecstasy, and paid a single supplement to do so. For that particular sailing, it was "only" about 40% surcharge, not the full 100%. It was a nice cabin, but if I were doing it again I would choose one further away from the elevator bank, as I could hear the elevator "ding" all night long (I am a light sleeper).

Cruise lines make most of their money from onboard spending. It doesn't make economic sense for them to make cabins for only one person.

Royal Caribbean seems to have a lot of cruises where you pay just 25-50% more, not double. You have to price them all to find the ones with the good discounts, usually ones leaving within a month or two. Come on over to the solo cruising forum for some more ideas!

You might find sales on single supplements from time to time, so you'll only be expected to pay 25%-50% more, but (of course) choice is limited. Cruise lines generally don't like solo passengers so, in that sense, yes we are discriminated against. I agree that I'd never pay double for a cabin, so my solution is either to travel on Crystal (most cabins are only 25%-35% extra for solo passengers) or travel on a sale when the single supplement is reduced. I certainly would never sail in a tiny 100 sq ft inside cabin like the single cabins on the Epic (which have no "single supplement" but are more expensive in the first place......a classic marketing ploy which simply pi**es me off).

Archived