Hilton penn station

pipeye1

I am not sure if we should take the train from Buffalo NY now, it seems to me that the Hilton Penn station is not a very safe place . Now if we drive could you please tell me which hotel is the fastest.....we will me going out of cape liberty an of March. Also are Hotel choice was the Penn Station Hilton..... Thanks

I am not sure if we should take the train from Buffalo NY now, it seems to me that the Hilton Penn station is not a very safe place . Now if we drive could you please tell me which hotel is the fastest.....we will me going out of cape liberty an of March. Also are Hotel choice was the Penn Station Hilton..... Thanks

The hotel is safe. Just be careful about walking around in Newark. It's a reasonable choice of hotel for someone who is cruising from Cape Liberty and arriving in Newark by train because there's a walkway connecting the station and the hotel.

If I'm not mistaken you will have to change trains in New York. I believe the trains from Buffalo go no further than New York Penn Station and from there you have to board another train to get to your final destination, Newark Penn Station.

You have to understand that there were different circumstances that caused us to attempt to dissuade the other poster from staying in Newark. They were not cruising from Bayonne, they were sailing from NY, and their reason for staying in Newark was completely wrong...the poster's husband was convinced that Newark was safer than NY when exactly the opposite is true. If they're sailing from NY, why shouldn't they stay in NY since NY is safer than Newark?

If you want to drive and stay at a hotel in the area, I's consider one of the hotels on Glimcher Realty Way in Elizabeth, such as the Country Inn and Suites Residence Inn or Courtyard by Marriott.

That's the better Courtyard. Good pick. What are you paying for it?

What exact date do you need a hotel? What is your budget? I see you asked about the Holland Motel, so I am assuming price is a consideration. We often recommend that folks driving in from the north look at Hotwire for Secaucus or Parsippany for a less expensive hotel when they are paying $19/day to park at the pier. Secaucus is still close, but it's a more suburban like area with hotels, offices, restaurants, and condos. Parsippany is about an hour away, but can have some great hotel deals in a truly suburban area.

March 30, have no budget..... I have been looking at alot of places I just would like a nice clean place to sleep for the night. And not to far to drive to the port in the AM... Thanks! 138.00 plus 11 to park

Well you'll be driving to the port on a Sunday morning so that's not a big deal. Just for your comparison I'm seeing a 3.5* hotel on Hotwire for the Parsippany area for $62, free breakfast, pool, and 95% approval rating. It's likely this could be the Madison hotel in Morristown. This would put you 30 miles and at most 45 minutes from the port, which would be an easy drive in the morning. It also puts you in a more comfortable suburban area and avoids much of the congestion around Newark airport and a few tolls.

I would like to thank you so much for the great advice!!!!!!! Booked on hotwire got the Madison Hotel total cost 78.87....... WOW..... Thanks so much for your help and enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Glad it worked out for you. When you have a car there are many options for Cape Liberty and they don't all involve staying at the airport.

When I cruised with my mom I always drove down to Central NJ and stayed at my mom's for one night precruise and then made the quick 45 minute drive with her back to Cape Liberty the next day. If you're not sightseeing in NY, there's no reason to pony up more money to stay right at the airport.

Thank you all for advice. I did know the stats--I am not the one with a differing opinion--that would be hubby. I appreciate the advice as I have been able to show it to him. I have a reservation at Country Inns in Elizabeth--this was my original plan as we were driving. Changed to give the Grandsons a new experience , the train, as they have flown but never been on a train. I booked in Harrison as a better alternate, I thought, due to reviews and advice from a friend. My husand is not normally a worrier--but we do live a different lifestyle than most in the city--think carrying a gun when walking your property for protection from animals not people and closest neighbor 1/2 mile down the road. Our Grandchildren have not grown up in the city, me on the other hand I was a city girl most of my life, so just trying to make them comfortable. I read this and think hillbilly but we are fairly well traveled-3 cruises a year,land vacations out of the U.S.-- we are getting off this cruise and flying to the Dominican Republic to an AI with the children's parents but just something about NY that has me questioning everything I do.

Any suggestions about hotels if we come into Penn Station NYC? No one is wanting to sight see, but I want getting to port and to hotel from Penn Station to be a fairly easy process. I have looked at Holiday Inn Xpress on 29th-Madison Square Gardens (just because I know the product, not fancy but normally clean and I can use points) Looked at Intercontinental, we stay in those a lot but they seem to be a little costly and can't get for points that night. Am I looking in the right area? This was supposed to be a filler cruise before going to Dominican R. , my hubby going to Stugis and our trip to LA and Hawaii and it is turning into one BIG headache. Getting 4 cheer teams to their competitions appears much easier and with less of a headache! Please help me I feel as I am spinning in circles. I will go back and reread all the posts after church today as I was in Nashville all day yesterday with 2 of our cheer teams and dog tired when I got home last night and tried to read all this. I really appreciate that you are trying to help me. Barbara

Holiday Inn Express Madison Square Garden seems like a reasonable choice. It's very close to Penn Station. Even though it's very close, it appears that a cab would have to go around several streets to access westbound 29th street from 7th Ave. You might want to look at the Holiday Inn Express Times Square. This would be closer to the pier. If you exit Penn Station to 8th Ave to flag a cab instead of wandering through Penn Station to the find the cab stand, it would be a quick cab ride up 8th Ave to 39th St and you would be 10 blocks closer to the pier. The Amrak trains come into the station on the 8th Ave side but the cab stand is halfway between 7th and 8th Ave to service both Amtrak/NJ Transit and the Long Island RR.

How many people are you? The main complaint about this hotel seems to be small rooms ( not a big surprise in NYC). If you need a room with two double beds, it could be an issue.

No rewards nights available for returning night from cruise at Times Square but available Madison Gardens. After doing some research and calling the hotel they said most people carry their luggage the 2 blocks. We have strong teens with us and will not have but two med. size bags. Does this sound reasonable? The hotel says the pier is about a 20 minute ride from there sound correct?

Holiday Inn Express Madison Square Garden seems like a reasonable choice. It's very close to Penn Station. Even though it's very close, it appears that a cab would have to go around several streets to access westbound 29th street from 7th Ave. You might want to look at the Holiday Inn Express Times Square. This would be closer to the pier. If you exit Penn Station to 8th Ave to flag a cab instead of wandering through Penn Station to the find the cab stand, it would be a quick cab ride up 8th Ave to 39th St and you would be 10 blocks closer to the pier. The Amrak trains come into the station on the 8th Ave side but the cab stand is halfway between 7th and 8th Ave to service both Amtrak/NJ Transit and the Long Island RR.

How many people are you? The main complaint about this hotel seems to be small rooms ( not a big surprise in NYC). If you need a room with two double beds, it could be an issue.

No problem walking to the hotel. It is very close, but I've found that many cruisers are not at all prepared to manage their luggage any distance, so my first recommendation is not usually walking.

Just be sure you have two double beds booked. I would also call the hotel between 11 and 1 pm the day of your arrival and tell them you want to be sure your room is blocked out for you, that you are definitely arriving and give an approximate time, and get the person's name.

I used this technique one time at the Holiday Inn at Newark Airport - we were 4 adults, a toddler, and an infant, so I wanted 2 rooms with 2 double beds each next door to one another. We got exactly what we wanted and even had connecting rooms. Another time the technique failed - we were the last folks to arrive at a Courtyard in Orlando and got a king and a single sofa bed for 4 of us. My son slept on the sofa cushions on the floor, but there was no room to walk anywhere. I expressed my displeasure to the manager and we were comped the room, but that only went so far in compensating us for the overall discomfort and inconvenience.

Thank you for all your help. Yes luggage can be a problem. We cruise frequently so have learned to pack pretty light but luggage can be awkward. I am counting on our teenage track star and football player to help these oldsters!

Since we are priority and have the room booked with points we are guaranteed to have what we asked for. That being said mistakes have been made before. Don't know if I will have any service on the train as we leave Cincinnati very early in the a.m and do not arrive till the evening. We can drive the trip in 12 hours and it takes 18 on the train. What we sacrifice for our Grandkids! I will take the number with me just in case I can call.

If there ended up being only one bed the children could sleep on the floor. These kids are used to some different circumstances as their parents are missionaries to third World countries and they are very much country boys! Me not sooo much!

No problem walking to the hotel. It is very close, but I've found that many cruisers are not at all prepared to manage their luggage any distance, so my first recommendation is not usually walking.

Just be sure you have two double beds booked. I would also call the hotel between 11 and 1 pm the day of your arrival and tell them you want to be sure your room is blocked out for you, that you are definitely arriving and give an approximate time, and get the person's name.

I used this technique one time at the Holiday Inn at Newark Airport - we were 4 adults, a toddler, and an infant, so I wanted 2 rooms with 2 double beds each next door to one another. We got exactly what we wanted and even had connecting rooms. Another time the technique failed - we were the last folks to arrive at a Courtyard in Orlando and got a king and a single sofa bed for 4 of us. My son slept on the sofa cushions on the floor, but there was no room to walk anywhere. I expressed my displeasure to the manager and we were comped the room, but that only went so far in compensating us for the overall discomfort and inconvenience.

The private car services you most often see recommended here are the NY City-based Dial 7 and Carmel. They're appropriate choices for trips between NY and EWR and NY and Cape Liberty, but not a good choice for local trips in NJ because they're based in NY. Any chance it's one of these that gave you the too high $79 quote?

It was indeed Carmel. I was planning to call the Hilton to see if the concierge there would recommend a local car service - do you know of a reputable company?

We are taking Amtrak down -- I'd rather stay in Manhattan at the Intercontinental or Crowne Plaza. but I think the Hilton Penn is probably a more logical choice for us to hop on to Bayonne on Sunday morning.

• 2 weeks later...

I did call the Hilton, and they recommended a limo service. They quoted me a minivan for three people for $55 (rate does vary by number of people).

I asked for pricing on a limo (would love to arrive in style) and was reminded that this is the NYC area - pay by the hour with a two hour minimum. Ouch!

I did call the Hilton, and they recommended a limo service. They quoted me a minivan for three people for $55 (rate does vary by number of people).

I asked for pricing on a limo (would love to arrive in style) and was reminded that this is the NYC area - pay by the hour with a two hour minimum. Ouch!

try Signature Transportation...they're based at the EWR Airport Marriott...you can call the hotel and ask for them.....might be an option...

(973) 623-0006

Archived