Hilton penn station

pipeye1

Just to clarify, which Penn Station? There is a Newark Penn Station, though I'm not sure if there is a Hilton there.

You might be better off booking a car service for this. Another idea might be taking the train from the airport into New York.

The Hilton Penn Station is in Newark, NJ, not New York.

Since in your first reply you admit not even knowing whether there's a Hilton in Newark, how can you then give advice to take a car service or train into New York?

I just priced a private car service for my family of three from the Hilton to Cape Liberty and they quoted me $79 + tip and tolls for a sedan, so I will hazard a guess this is the going rate for private transfers given it is one of the major services often mentioned on these forums.

I took a taxi from the Hilton to Cape Liberty for my Zenith cruise back in 2005 - and the taxi driver had no idea how to get to the Cape Liberty from the Hilton - again I'll hazard a guess that by now most taxi drivers know the route - I'm pretty sure my fare was $40 then so $50 now sounds like a reasonable estimate.

I just priced a private car service for my family of three from the Hilton to Cape Liberty and they quoted me $79 + tip and tolls for a sedan, so I will hazard a guess this is the going rate for private transfers given it is one of the major services often mentioned on these forums.

I took a taxi from the Hilton to Cape Liberty for my Zenith cruise back in 2005 - and the taxi driver had no idea how to get to the Cape Liberty from the Hilton - again I'll hazard a guess that by now most taxi drivers know the route - I'm pretty sure my fare was $40 then so $50 now sounds like a reasonable estimate.

The private car services you most often see recommended here are the NY City-based Dial 7 and Carmel. They're appropriate choices for trips between NY and EWR and NY and Cape Liberty, but not a good choice for local trips in NJ because they're based in NY. Any chance it's one of these that gave you the too high $79 quote?

What would be your suggestion to get from Newark to the cruise terminal with luggage? We are staying in Newark the night before our Cruise on the splendor (coming in by amtrak to NJ penn station)and then will most likely return to that hotel when back to board amtrak the next day.

The private car services you most often see recommended here are the NY City-based Dial 7 and Carmel. They're appropriate choices for trips between NY and EWR and NY and Cape Liberty, but not a good choice for local trips in NJ because they're based in NY. Any chance it's one of these that gave you the too high $79 quote?

What would be your suggestion to get from Newark to the cruise terminal with luggage? We are staying in Newark the night before our Cruise on the splendor (coming in by amtrak to NJ penn station)and then will most likely return to that hotel when back to board amtrak the next day.

If I'm interpreting your post correctly, you're staying in Newark, but sailing from NY? (You say you're on the Splendor, a Carnival ship, which leaves from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.)

Any chance that you you could change your plans and stay in NY City instead? The same Amtrak trains you're on also travel to and from NY Penn Station. In any event if you're locked in to staying in Newark, the best answer may depend on which hotel you're staying at. If you're st the Newark Penn Station Hilton just hop on a NJ Transit train to NY Penn Station and then take a taxi to the pier.

My husband has no desire to stay in NY that is why the Newark idea. We had originally planned to drive but have since decided to take the train. One Grandson does not like to fly. I have looked into dial 7 and was pretty reasonable about 80.00 with tolls one way but thought perhaps a train would be cheaper if we utilized it. I wonder if carting luggage from one form of transpotation to another would be a big hassle.

Please give the full names of the hotels so we can give you accurate advice. There are two Newark stations on Amtrak. Newark Penn Station is in downtown Newark and the Newark Penn Station Hilton is across the street. Newark Airport Station is at the airport and has a monorail called the Airtrain that connects to the P4 Airtrain station which is where all the free airport hotel shuttles pick folks up. This would include the shuttles for the Newark Airport Hilton, the Newark Airport Hampton Inn, and the Staten Island Hampton Inn.

Hilton Penn Station Newark and the Hampton Inn in Harrison,NJ that has a free shuttle to Newark Penn station where we will arrive-not the airport. We are coming in on Amtrak. Thank youi for your answers. I think we are going to just use dial 7 as my husband does not want the hassle of transferring our luggage a couple of times--first on the train then with the taxi. I am the thrifty one-he is the more expedient one. I am sure he would rather fly but it will be more of an adventure for hte boys this way.

My husband has no desire to stay in NY that is why the Newark idea. We had originally planned to drive but have since decided to take the train. One Grandson does not like to fly. I have looked into dial 7 and was pretty reasonable about 80.00 with tolls one way but thought perhaps a train would be cheaper if we utilized it. I wonder if carting luggage from one form of transpotation to another would be a big hassle.

If you're not finding it a hassle to get off the train in Newark and go to a hotel then it's no more of a hassle to reverse the process and get back on a train to NY City the next morning. The least hassle is to go directly to NY and stay there overnight.

Adult one way fare on NJ Transit between Newark Penn and NY Penn is $5. The trip will take 20-25 minutes. A taxi from NY Penn Station to the cruise pier will cost about $10-15 including tip (for the car, not per person). So, as you can see it will be a lot cheaper to take the train and a taxi than to take a car service.

Just out of curiosity, if your husband has no desire to stay in NY, is he aware that NY City is a heck of a lot nicer place, with also a lot more in the way of dinner options, than Newark, NJ? Newark is to put it mildly, gritty. NY City is far more attractive and a lot safer too.

I have no problem with NY, but he seems to and he is part of this trip. He has his mind made up that Newark is safer than NY so rather than try to argue the point I look for the best solution with what I have to work with. The hassle in the morning would come when we have to get the bags on the train take them off and then have them put in a taxi and out again. With a car then they will be placed in one time and taken out one time. I have run the numbers by him and he just looks at me as really? contact the car service!

I understand your situation, but I don't think anyone on this board would argue that downtown Newark or Harrison is safer than New York.

If safety is a consideration, why aren't you seriously considering one of much safer airport hotels? The transportation from the airport to NY will be the same cost as from downtown Newark and if you pick the right hotels, you can actually step outside your hotel, have a small choice of restaurants, and go to the mall or the movies. You book to the Newark Airport Station, go to P4 on the Airtrain, and get the free shuttle to your hotel.

Our advice for the Newark area is to always be selective. There are hotels we recommend and hotels we don't recommend and hotels we don't know much about because the folks on CC just don't stay there.

You can have different opinions on the quality of restaurants or hotels, but not on crime rates. Newark and NY City are in two different leagues when it comes to crime. Newark has one of the highest crime rates in the country, while New York City has a far lower than average crime rate.

Read this report. Newark has the 23rd highest crime rate ranking in the country, while NY City ranks 269th out of 400 cities. In comparison to the largest city in your home state, Newark's crime rate is slightly higher than that of Indianapolis, which ranks 29th. http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2010/City_crime_rate_2010-2011_hightolow.pdf

For June 9 I found Country Inns on mybowlingvacation.com for $108 + tax prepaid. It includes airport shuttle and free breakfast. This hotel is next to the Jersey Gardens Mall with a Ruby Tuesdays and IHOP next door and a Chili's near by plus a food court in the mall.

IMO if safety is a concern, you do NOT want to be hanging around Newark Penn Station waiting for a hotel shuttle to go to Harrison.

We've stayed at Newark Penn Hilton 3 times and will be there again in March. The area around the hotel is very safe. We walk to restaurants and have never felt unsafe while doing so.

We take a car service and it runs around $50-55 for the two of us. We've used Dial 7 to go from Cape Liberty to Manhattan. For Newark to Cape Liberty, we use the car service that the Hilton calls for us. We've had great experiences every time.

You can have different opinions on the quality of restaurants or hotels, but not on crime rates. Newark and NY City are in two different leagues when it comes to crime. Newark has one of the highest crime rates in the country, while New York City has a far lower than average crime rate.

Read out this report. Newark has the 23rd highest crime rate ranking in the country, while NY City ranks 269th out of 400 cities. http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2010/City_crime_rate_2010-2011_hightolow.pdf

Good - you found some stats. I have always been uncomfortable in Newark. I went to dinner in downtown two years ago and I was glad we were 5 people in the car because we ended up in a really scuzzy place to get back on the highway. It's really hard to explain to folks who live in less urban areas about Newark because they simply don't have any comparable city where they live. We always advise folks to be very picky about the airport hotels and where they choose to leave their cars.

We've stayed at Newark Penn Hilton 3 times and will be there again in March. The area around the hotel is very safe. We walk to restaurants and have never felt unsafe while doing so.

We take a car service and it runs around $50-55 for the two of us. We've used Dial 7 to go from Cape Liberty to Manhattan. For Newark to Cape Liberty, we use the car service that the Hilton calls for us. We've had great experiences every time.

The main reason we're suggesting an alternative is because the poster is cruising from NY, not Cape Liberty, and is making the decision about staying in Newark rather than NY because they have an opinion about which city is safer that totally flies in the face of the facts. We often suggest the Newark Penn Station Hilton as a possible hotel choice for Cape Liberty for someone coming in by train (for obvious reasons). It's particularly convenient if the person wants to pop into NY for a day of sightseeing prior to cruising from Cape Liberty.

The national headquarters of a company that employed me for close to 20 years is located in downtown Newark. Rides from headquarters to Penn Station were always available so you didn't have to chance walking there. When I take the train go to a hockey game at The Rock, I never feel totally comfortable walking the couple of blocks from the station to the arena even though there are hundreds of people doing the same thing. I don't have any of those fears in most areas of NY City.

I'm glad you've had great experiences, and i hope you continue to do so, but I feel obligated to put the facts on the table when someone is making a decision based on false impressions.

Archived