Cost of Rock Climbing Wall?

Hello- we are going on Majesty of the Seas in March. I'm just curious- how much does it cost to climb the rock wall? Thanks!

You just need to send me $14,351 in small, unmarked, bills and you can use it all you want :)

Seriously, it, as well as all other sports activities onboard (with the exception of the golf simulator (i believe)) are included in your cruise fare.

Enjoy your cruise and the views from the top of the wall.

Steve

Hello- we are going on Majesty of the Seas in March. I'm just curious- how much does it cost to climb the rock wall? Thanks!

You pay a lot to go on the cruise, but once you are on, you get practically everything for no additional cost (except for drinks and, of course, gambling). So yes, the climbing wall is free. Have a wonderful trip!

Complimentary, already included in your cruise fare.

Take note of the Rock Wall opening times though. See your daily Cruise Compass.

I would be very upset if Royal Caribbean started to charge for climbing the rock wall.

Edited by Iluvcruising2

Its free. They have set times for open climbing. The walls are challenging to anyone that has not climbed before. Different colours for different routes. I have a video of myself and it took me 1 minute and 18 seconds to reach the top. Must try though for anyone.

• 1 month later...

On a related theme, are there instructors/lessons available for beginners? I've been real rock climbing many years ago but I've no idea how to work the automatic belay ropes used in artificial walls. I assume there is somebody there to show you the ropes(ouch!:-).

Similarly with ice skating - I've never skated before and fancy giving it a blast on the cruise... any instruction available?

Edited by Big Chik
fix typo

On a related theme, are there instructors/lessons available for beginners? I've been real rock climbing many years ago but I've no idea how to work the automatic belay ropes used in artificial walls. I assume there is somebody there to show you the ropes(ouch!:-).

Similarly with ice skating - I've never skated before and fancy giving it a blast on the cruise... any instruction available?

Only Oasis and Allure have the auto belay ropes. On all other ships (at least all that I have been on) they have sports staff working the ropes and belaying you. My younger son loves it. He climbs, I talk. Now that we want to go on the big ships, I'm not sure what I'm going to do when I have no one to talk to while he climbs.

They do a great job of encouraging you and giving you a bit of help on the wall.

ETA: As for skating, I don't think they do instruction for adults but I've been wrong before. I know that the same son learned to ice skate on LOS and still tells that story to anyone who wants to hear (how he learned to ice stake in the middle of the ocean from a "Canadian dude"). I don't know if they offer learn to skate for adults but if they do, it would be in the compass.

Edited by njmomof2

Thanks for the reply. Its IOS that we are on so I'll be OK if its a human on the end! :-)

AS for skating I'll see what happens when I get there. My wife has skated a couple of times so maybe she can tell me what to do! She doesn't usually find that a problem! ;)

For the ice skating you have to wear long pants and bring your socks. They will supply the skates. And yes, you have to bring your own socks to the rock wall. You can wear shorts for the rock wall. Make sure someone goes with you to take pictures!!!

can kids go on the rock wall? What ages? Last cruise was 6 years ago - before him, so I don't remember kiddos being on the wall...

When my 30 year old son did it, there was also a six- or seven-year-old boy climbing up like a pro. That kid was fearless!

[quote=Big Chik;372042480

On Navigator, they had open sessions and lessons divided by age group. The kids had their lessons and then when they were finished the adult lessons started. We were taught by a wonderful French Canadian guy who was one of the performers in the ice show. :)

Be sure to check the Cruise Compass for the times, though, since it is limited. I went down ASAP one morning after breakfast to sign up and do the waiver (they punch a hole in your SeaPass as proof) and I'm glad I did because the lessons filled up pretty quick.

Your breath your strength your nerve and admission to yourself of your age and weight :D:D:D

Den

Edited by fishtaco

Best advice I can offer to newbie skaters (from a mom whose son started skating and playing hockey at 4yo): if you feel like you're going to fall, bend/squat and touch your knees. This lowers your center of gravity and stabilizes you, and prevents you from doing that flailing windmill thing with your arms.

I always give this advice to newbies during public skating sessions here, and the look on their eyes the first time they try it and notice the difference in stability is amazing! Once they have that confidence that they can stop themselves from wobbling and falling, they advance much more quickly.

• 3 years later...