Re Melbourne

blondietoo

Sorry to be a pain, just checking I have this right.

To take the tram #109 we should buy either a Myki visitor pack at $14 or a Myki 1 day card for zone 1 at $13 (this is for a Monday)?

Seems like for the extra $1 we may as well buy a visitor pack?

I have a feeling you can only buy the visitor pack at southern cross station, which is of no use to cruise tourists. The government hasn't thought past people coming to Melbourne outside of arriving by plane or train.

I have a feeling you can only buy the visitor pack at southern cross station, which is of no use to cruise tourists. The government hasn't thought past people coming to Melbourne outside of arriving by plane or train.

You can(if you wanted to) I believe buy the visitor pack at the convenience store at the end of the pier ( I was in their once as a local and saw them selling them). However, the store is totally disorganized and run on an understaffed basis despite its location by the owner (what's new in this country) who have to look after the bottle shop, the mini supermarket and selling the tickets at the counter plus I think it's a Tatts agent.

Visitor packs are also available from the Tourist Centre at Federation Square. Again, no earthly use to cruise passengers arriving at Station Pier. Much as I love Melbourne I have to say that this Myki mess and the complete lack of foresight and planning involved is just an embarrassment. The taxi drivers are happy though ;)

I agree that this whole ticket issue is really confusing for tourists. However, after purchasing flights between Houston TX and Sydney, staying 4 nights in the Rocks in Sydney and taking a back to back cruise on Rhapsody, I am not going to quibble on paying $28 for my husband and I to get to downtown and back.

FYI, on our just-completed Cruise to Melbourne on Diamond Princess, we bought the Myki Visitor pack inside the Cruise Terminal at the Visitor's information desk before we exited.

The most confusing part for us was the free Shuttle bus that left from the Terminal and dropped off in front of the Victoria Arts Center. We weren't sure if we even needed the Myki card except for the one-way trip back to the Ship on the #109 Tram.

• 4 weeks later...

I've printed out this useful leaflet on the Free Visitor Shuttle bus, and the free City Circle tram.

Could someone please advise if Federation Square is the close stop to the port?

Also, rather than buying Mykis just to get to the free shuttle, would anyone have an idea of the cost of a taxi please?

Re the Myki - our hotel has advised they sell the tourist pack - so perhaps anyone staying over before or after the cruise should check with their hotel. It just so happens we are near the City circle tram line - so we should be good to go - as everything we want to see is nearby - or on that line.

Could someone please advise if Federation Square is the close stop to the port?

No, that's the problem. It's about 5km away.

Your best bet is to buy a Myki card at the grocery store next to the tram stop at the cruise terminal - somewhat confusingly called Station Pier. You can then catch the 109 tram which takes you direct into the city centre. Plenty of info and maps available online so you can get your bearings before you get here.

As the crow flies its a distance of about 5km or a 15 minute tram. You can pick up the 109 service at Station Pier and the nearest stop to Fed Square is probably Town Hall, then a 5 min walk. Detailed maps and routes on Google.

In order to use any public transport in Melbourne (bus, train, tram) you need to purchase a Myki card at the grocery store next to the 109 station at the pier. It's a scan on/scan off system. You cannot purchase a ticket from the driver.

They were selling the cards at the cruise terminal earlier this month.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh! just found this thread, so will repost this article for reference, here too.

Just read this in our local newspaper and thought I would add here for reference, for those cruising through Melbourne.

Top spots: Melbourne's best rooftops

Enjoy the high life with sweeping views and bars that range from bohemian to old school

http://www.goodfood.com.au/good-food...318-2ga4e.html

• 3 weeks later...

Fontana: thank you for the newspaper link. It's below freezing temperatures here so anywhere with outdoor drinks/food is very appealing. Wish I didn't have another year to wait for our cruise!

Have you been to any of these establishments - is there any you would recommend over the others for cruisers?

We had a wonderful tour in Melbourne given by Michelle Brown of Melbourne by Bike, but do not be deterred, she also gives vehicle tours for those who are less actively inclined. We think she did a great job--very personable, knowledgable and attentive to clients' needs. You can contact her at michelle@melbournebybike.com

• 3 months later...

Hi there!

I'm resurrecting this thread as I've just been online trying to sort out how it all works for visitors.

I was able to purchase a ticket online for $3 (senior rate) using my visacard. This will be posted to me. I'm then assuming that I can top it up before visiting Melbourne but my question is this:

We are cruising into Melbourne 3 times during our 16-day cruise in April next year. How do I manage this? I see where you can purchase a 7-day pass or a 28-day pass neither or which I need.

Is there not a Vistors Pass you can purchase?

I cruised into Melbourne last December and found that the store at the end of the pier was TOTALLY swamped with passengers trying to purchase this pass.

The tram people allowed us to board without the pass as it was evident that there would be a VERY long delay for everyone if they waited for everyone one to purchase a ticket.

It wasn't clear what stop we should get off to find the FREE tram so we wandered around like lost souls looking for it. Those we asked on the street gave us conflicting advice so in the end after and hour or so wandering around in the CBD TOTALLY LOST I just caught the first tram I saw with 109 on it - though it was about the 4th tram as they were all totally crammed full with cruise passengers.

I was left feeling VERY disappointed and frustrated after my half-day of trying to find my way around Melbourne and it's public transport system. :eek: It would help if there was LOTS more information available at the port and even buses to take passengers into the CBD which is quite a distance from the port.

This time I'm hoping to be organised prior to arriving there.

Any idea how to purchase a myki pass to cover the 3 different times we will be arriving there over 2 weeks during April next year?

Thanks! Gae

You only need the one Myki pass stored money value, and it has a life of some years, so will cover your successive cruise calls . See my more detailed response under your duplicate query under Australian & New Zealand Cruises.

Have been to Melbourne before the Myki card went into service. Just want to buy a Zone 1 pass in to CBD (Tram) and return. Cost for just that. Adult /weekday. Don't need the visitors pass.

Can I get this at pier and not deal with masses at the store????

Is there a free shuttle for cruise passengers from pier to CBD??????

Love the city and it's people, but the plight of all this transportation options is crazy.

Have been to Melbourne before the Myki card went into service. Just want to buy a Zone 1 pass in to CBD (Tram) and return. Cost for just that. Adult /weekday. Don't need the visitors pass.

Love the city and it's people, but the plight of all this transportation options is crazy.

See more details here on my dedicated thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1882808

Gae

There's been a lot of replies but I thought I'd throw my 2 cents worth in and use a couple of photos to show you Port Melbourne's proximity to the CBD...

DSC_0026.jpg

Port Melbourne is the end of the line and this gives you an idea how close the tram stop is to the port. We were 'in town' on Celebrity Solstice and that's it in the background. The 109 tram goes right past Federation Square (you need to get off at Flinders Street, which is the stop just after you cross the Yarra River in the CBD).

DSC_0173a.jpg

That's the Melbourne CBD in the distance as Celebrity Solstice pulls out. Port Melbourne is 4km (2.5 miles) from the CBD.

No. The visitors pass is the only one sold at the dock.

No. Tram only, or cruise shuttle as mass transit options.

No. The visitors pass is the only one sold at the dock.

No. Tram only, or cruise shuttle as mass transit options.

Big M, So if I get to the store across from tram, can I buy just a RT ticket and NOT the visitors pass ?????Cost???

Archived