Just returned from Veendam...

nsync

A quick note... Had a horrible start in RIO on Dec 20 with the delayed arrival of the ship, but overall had an amazing time, especially Antarctica! There has been talk on the boards about actually stopping at certain ports and I am happy to report that we didn't miss any ports, including USHUAIA... oh wait, we missed Puerto Madryn because there was a last minute change to the FALKLAND ISLANDS!!! The Bluff Cove Penguin excursion was fantastic! But you don't have to pay such a high price ($175 per person). There was a local with a sign at the visitor center, right next to the tender exit -- $20 for a ride to see the penguins at Gypsy Cove. Met someone who did that and they had a great time, too. Also, we didn't have any issues with our cabin. Yes, the ship is older and could use some updating, but what a wonderful staff!

welcome home! Thanks for the update. I have been tracking you guys on the tracker....call be obsessed :) So great you made it to the Falklands and Ushuaia both. I hope we will be as lucky! (two weeks and counting :D)

All was well on the ship? (toilets flushing like they should? :) )

If we make it to the Falklands, we will be in port together with the Star Princess (2500 passengers). I have no idea how they are going to handle that.

So glad you had such a good cruise and thanks for the note. Did you experience much rough seas. Also could you let us know about the entertainment on the ship especially if they had a guitar player.

I think I was sea sick for a few days before Antarctica and a few days after. The seas seemed rough to me. Maybe 15-20 ft at the worst? I tried the patch this time and was in bed for 2 days in a row. The nurse said they don't recommend it and suggested that I take it off and try pills instead, which was better for me, but I saw others using the patch throughout the cruise and they seemed fine.

There was a guitar player, but we didn't see that show. With the 8 pm dinner seating, we were often too tired for the 10 pm show. We only saw 3. I liked the comedic juggler and magician, but my DH thought Encore was the best. It only featured 2 of the singers. I regret not seeing the other singers in the other shows.

I think I was sea sick for a few days before Antarctica and a few days after. The seas seemed rough to me. Maybe 15-20 ft at the worst? I tried the patch this time and was in bed for 2 days in a row. The nurse said they don't recommend it and suggested that I take it off and try pills instead, which was better for me, but I saw others using the patch throughout the cruise and they seemed fine.

There was a guitar player, but we didn't see that show. With the 8 pm dinner seating, we were often too tired for the 10 pm show. We only saw 3. I liked the comedic juggler and magician, but my DH thought Encore was the best. It only featured 2 of the singers. I regret not seeing the other singers in the other shows.

Those patches are scopolamine patches. My DW has fits with those and suffers nearly every side effect listed once she's removed them. It's a very powerful drug that has had numerous uses including as a truth serum. Sorry that you were under the weather.

welcome home! Thanks for the update. I have been tracking you guys on the tracker....call be obsessed :) So great you made it to the Falklands and Ushuaia both. I hope we will be as lucky! (two weeks and counting :D)

All was well on the ship? (toilets flushing like they should? :) )

If we make it to the Falklands, we will be in port together with the Star Princess (2500 passengers). I have no idea how they are going to handle that.

We found out about the Falklands change a couple days before it happened. I heard we were the first ship to tender there this season. I was happy about the change, but others who had already booked independent excursions in Puerto Madryn were not happy. Not sure if they got their money back. Excursions with HAL for PM were refunded.

I think there were 5 or 6 outings to Bluff Cove and they were all sold out. There were other excursions that were also sold out. With the Star Princess in port, you might not want to take any chances with excursions being available at the pier.

Our toilet was fine. I noticed a public toilet had clogged, but nothing else wrong with the ship that I can remember.

Safe and happy travels!

Archived