Awkward Solo Moments

adaymerced

I have a slightly different story about table mates. I was travelling with my mother who is a widow. We were placed on a table of 8, and a family of three adult daughters (all my age) arrived with their widowed father. He was really sweet but after the first night they didn't show again. I can't help but think the girls didn't want the two to develop a friendship.

I love the film star treatment. Just wonderful. Would love to have been a fly on the wall with them trying to work out who you were.

I'll be going solo for a few days on my next cruise. Apparently the buffet staff are renowned for clearing tables as soon as you stand. Will work that one out as the buffet is usually crowded.

Have fun on your solo cruise. I can't even blink without my plate & cup disappearing :D

OK...I have a good one. I went into the dining room solo and was seated at the table of 6. Two couples, myself and another single gentlemen. I decided to introduce myself to the table and ask how everyone was doing tonight when one gentlemen (part of a couple) abruptly and nastily tells me...quote, "I'M HERE TO EAT; NOT SOCIALIZE." followed by dead silence at the table. I looked around and you could tell everyone, but him was mortified. I was deeply insulted. Luckily the other single gentlemen next to me quietly engaged me in conversation once the food arrived. No one else said a word at the table and just eat their food. Luckily this rude guy ate his food and the couple quickly departed. Once they left everyone at the table opened up and was shocked at his comments. If they didn't want to socialize then they should have requested a table by themselves. There were open tables. Sure, I get that sometimes we don't always feel like socializing and would prefer just to eat and leave; but you don't chastise someone who does. It's one of those situations you never forget. You are really never prepared for such rudeness.

I had a guy like that at my table for a whole week. He would attempt to insult me but failed to realize that the joke was on him.

My most awkward time was when Carnival assigned me for a table for 2 and I was seated across from an older lady from England who was looking for love. I had no love interest in her at all. I coudl have gone back to the matre'd and had a reassignment, but kept thinking about how she would feel if I did that, so I stuck it out for the whole cruise. I just shrugged off her forward comments.

Wow how awkward, but what a gentleman you were :)

Have fun on your solo cruise. I can't even blink without my plate & cup disappearing :D

Know that only too well. Even when I leave personal belongings beside my food, it still goes if I have to get up. Even tried getting a seat beside the dessert station, so when I finished my main, I only had a few steps to grab dessert, but when I turned around they'd not only cleared my empty plate, but my napkin and as yet unused spoon and my full glass of water. Didn't dare risk leaving the dessert before going back for more water and cutlery!

I now almost always eat in the MDR. Perhaps I should knock up a little notice on my PC that says, "please don't clear my place or take my seat, I'll be back in a minute" to leave on my plan when I have to get up to get something I've forgotten. Mind you, they'd probably clear away my little notice too!

I was cruising solo and had a photo of my husband displayed in my cabin. The cabin steward asked me why my husband wasn't with me. None of his business, but I guess he was making conservation. He didn't quite know what to say when I told him the reason -- that my husband had recently died.

If they didn't want to socialize then they should have requested a table by themselves.

That doesn't always work if you're told that there's going to be a very long wait for a table for two. Several times my cruising companion and I requested a table for two but were told that there weren't any, and we would have to share a table. Fine, but the people who reluctantly agreed to share a table with us were furious that they were being coerced into sharing a table with pesky strangers, and they didn't talk at all, not even to each other, except to the waiter to place their orders.

Perhaps I should knock up a little notice on my PC that says, "please don't clear my place or take my seat, I'll be back in a minute" to leave on my plan when I have to get up to get something I've forgotten. Mind you, they'd probably clear away my little notice too!

They would probably clear it away depending on how skilled they are at reading English. Speaking English and reading English are completely different things to people for whom English is not their first language. I have suggested to NCL, Royal, HA, and Celebrity that they make little buttons (similar to the red and green buttons in a Brazilian BBQ restaurant) to indicate that the person is coming right back to the table, and please leave the dishes, glasses, and silverware, but none of the cruise lines think that it's a good idea.

On a Celebrity cruise, I went to the buffet very late when there was only one table occupied. I got some food, and when I sat down, I realized that I had forgotten something. So I said to the nearby waiter that I would be right back, and please leave my food on my table. When I returned less than one minute later, my food was gone, and the waiter was still standing nearby. He told me that another waiter had taken it. So I got some more food. When people complain about the amount of food wasted at a buffet, I say that sometimes it's caused by over-zealous waiters or waiters that just can't be bothered to tell another waiter, "The lady said she'd be coming right back. Don't take her food." As I said, the buffet had only one other table occupied at the time, so I don't think it was very difficult to keep track of the fact that I would be returning to my table very soon.

Know that only too well. Even when I leave personal belongings beside my food, it still goes if I have to get up. Even tried getting a seat beside the dessert station, so when I finished my main, I only had a few steps to grab dessert, but when I turned around they'd not only cleared my empty plate, but my napkin and as yet unused spoon and my full glass of water. Didn't dare risk leaving the dessert before going back for more water and cutlery!

I now almost always eat in the MDR. Perhaps I should knock up a little notice on my PC that says, "please don't clear my place or take my seat, I'll be back in a minute" to leave on my plan when I have to get up to get something I've forgotten. Mind you, they'd probably clear away my little notice too!

maybe there should be little cards on the tables that proclaim..."be right back= don't touch " :D

That doesn't always work if you're told that there's going to be a very long wait for a table for two. Several times my cruising companion and I requested a table for two but were told that there weren't any, and we would have to share a table. Fine, but the people who reluctantly agreed to share a table with us were furious that they were being coerced into sharing a table with pesky strangers, and they didn't talk at all, not even to each other, except to the waiter to place their orders.

They would probably clear it away depending on how skilled they are at reading English. Speaking English and reading English are completely different things to people for whom English is not their first language. I have suggested to NCL, Royal, HA, and Celebrity that they make little buttons (similar to the red and green buttons in a Brazilian BBQ restaurant) to indicate that the person is coming right back to the table, and please leave the dishes, glasses, and silverware, but none of the cruise lines think that it's a good idea.

On a Celebrity cruise, I went to the buffet very late when there was only one table occupied. I got some food, and when I sat down, I realized that I had forgotten something. So I said to the nearby waiter that I would be right back, and please leave my food on my table. When I returned less than one minute later, my food was gone, and the waiter was still standing nearby. He told me that another waiter had taken it. So I got some more food. When people complain about the amount of food wasted at a buffet, I say that sometimes it's caused by over-zealous waiters or waiters that just can't be bothered to tell another waiter, "The lady said she'd be coming right back. Don't take her food." As I said, the buffet had only one other table occupied at the time, so I don't think it was very difficult to keep track of the fact that I would be returning to my table very soon.

those awfully small tea glasses gets me in trouble. I get up for more beverage and the plate disappears. :eek:

i just had this conversation with someone (not on a cruise, but cruise related)

me - i'm going alone on a cruise in dec

j - that's nice, going with your family?

Me - no, i'm going alone

j - but with a tour, right?

Me - no, just me

j - you're going to be alone on the ship??

Me - well, me and 4000 other people

j - uh, :eek: :confused:

lmao!!!!!

maybe there should be little cards on the tables that proclaim..."be right back= don't touch " :D

This might help....most of the servers onboard (on all my cruises anyway) are trained "continental style". I grew up in Europe so this always works for me....

Just make your fork and knife look like this on your plate....this tells the server you are NOT finished and to please leave the plate.

I hope it helps.

continental-resting.jpg

I was cruising solo and had a photo of my husband displayed in my cabin. The cabin steward asked me why my husband wasn't with me. None of his business, but I guess he was making conservation. He didn't quite know what to say when I told him the reason -- that my husband had recently died.

Judy

!

That must have been painful for you. I'm so sorry. I'm sure he didn't mean anything by it...and I am also sure he learned a valuable lesson!

I wish you happy cruising in future!

maybe there should be little cards on the tables that proclaim..."be right back= don't touch "
This might help....most of the servers onboard (on all my cruises anyway) are trained "continental style"

As I posted upthread, I have suggested to several cruiselines that people at the buffet be provided with a button to indicate that they'll be right back, so please leave the food, silverware, cup, and glass, but none of them think that it's a good idea. I don't know if they would think that a little card would be a better idea than a button.

Just make your fork and knife look like this on your plate....this tells the server you are NOT finished and to please leave the plate.

I have heard of this, but I'm not sure that the buffet workers have heard of this. It seems that when they see a plate with food on it but no one sitting there at that time, they just pounce and grab the plate and throw the food away. It doesn't seem that they study the arrangement of the silverware before they grab the plate.

Judy

!

That must have been painful for you. I'm so sorry. I'm sure he didn't mean anything by it...and I am also sure he learned a valuable lesson!

I wish you happy cruising in future!

It was awkward, so it fit in with the topic of this thread. It didn't cause any animosity between me and the steward, but I suspect that he wished he hadn't asked the question.

This might help....most of the servers onboard (on all my cruises anyway) are trained "continental style". I grew up in Europe so this always works for me....

I hope it helps.

continental-resting.jpg

I will have to try that next time :cool:

I will have to try that next time :cool:

I habitually do that everywhere, and it hasn't helped on cruises in the cafeteria. It's worked for me in the MDR if I need to pop out for a minute, but in a bustling cafeteria I think it's inclined to get overlooked, particularly as so many people leave cutlery in random configurations.

I habitually do that everywhere, and it hasn't helped on cruises in the cafeteria. It's worked for me in the MDR if I need to pop out for a minute, but in a bustling cafeteria I think it's inclined to get overlooked, particularly as so many people leave cutlery in random configurations.

What I ultimately do is load down the plate to start with and get it over with. With those smallish glasses I'l grab 3 at a time. Look out :eek: ...here I come...stay clear ! :p

Edited by Thoth

That's exactly what I thought.

What I ultimately do is load down the plate to start with and get it over with. With those smallish glasses I'l grab 3 at a time.

Good for you, but there's no way I could carry a loaded plate and three glasses at the same time to my table. Even if I could, I don't know if I'd be able to carry silverware and napkins too without dropping something. Especially since the cruise lines seem to have done away with trays.

Good for you, but there's no way I could carry a loaded plate and three glasses at the same time to my table. Even if I could, I don't know if I'd be able to carry silverware and napkins too without dropping something. Especially since the cruise lines seem to have done away with trays.

I usually put the silverware and napkins into the pockets of my cargo shorts, and place the filled glass(es) into the plate itself. The plate ends up functioning as a makeshift tray. I also put unopened soda cans and/or whole fruit into my pockets as well, to free up space on the plate for other food. It's awkward and probably looks funny too, but hey, it's just another way us solo cruisers adjust to our situation. And I'm sure most people will either understand or simply not care.

Hi there....I'm going on my first cruise alone in August on the Ocean Princess and most people just don't get it. I get the strangest looks, like I must be a real tyrant or a snob, or I have a secret life! :p Haha! I've only been on one Mexico cruise a few years ago with family...and don't get me wrong, I love my family...but, I don't need to spend every minute with them. I like to do my own thing, sit on my balcony taking in the sound and the smells, eat when I feel like it, parking myself where I feel comfortable. Don't take it personal, it's just me.:rolleyes: I do worry about those awkward moments because I hate being a third wheel and I am shy so I'll just have to break out of my shell......or maybe not. Maybe I'll see you there....Have fun!

Hi there....I'm going on my first cruise alone in August on the Ocean Princess and most people just don't get it. I get the strangest looks, like I must be a real tyrant or a snob, or I have a secret life! :p Haha! I've only been on one Mexico cruise a few years ago with family...and don't get me wrong, I love my family...but, I don't need to spend every minute with them. I like to do my own thing, sit on my balcony taking in the sound and the smells, eat when I feel like it, parking myself where I feel comfortable. Don't take it personal, it's just me.:rolleyes: I do worry about those awkward moments because I hate being a third wheel and I am shy so I'll just have to break out of my shell......or maybe not. Maybe I'll see you there....Have fun!

Congrats on booking your first solo cruise :) The awkward moments pass quickly, and the rest of the time you can roll around on your cabin floor, drinking cocktails and wearing your formalwear if you feel so inclined (just put the DND sign on the door!).

I think most of my friends/colleagues at this stage assume that I take off once a year to hook up with strange men. Because I live alone, they don't get why I want to holiday alone as well ;)

Congrats on booking your first solo cruise :) The awkward moments pass quickly, and the rest of the time you can roll around on your cabin floor, drinking cocktails and wearing your formalwear if you feel so inclined (just put the DND sign on the door!).

I think most of my friends/colleagues at this stage assume that I take off once a year to hook up with strange men. Because I live alone, they don't get why I want to holiday alone as well ;)

One of the things I enjoy about cruising solo and having my own cabin is sprawling out on the bed without formal wear (or casual wear either) drinking a cocktail and watching a movie. I am sure to put out the DND sign. I guess that might make me one of those "strange men" that you supposedly go on cruises to meet. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I loved reading this thread. We have been cruising Cunard the last few years and have never had the staff clear the table when we've left to get something. Either they are very observant or very slow. :)

Please, please don't tilt your chair to save your table. People are trying to balance their food while looking for a place to sit and not always looking directly where they are walking. Those chair legs sticking out can be a real hazard.

I tried a short solo cruise on Norwegian Getaway when she had her launch cruises from Southampton last month. As both my first cruise and my first holiday alone, I did have several awkward singles moments, but for the most part I loved it :o

Awkward moments included...

• The hostess and chef at Teppiyaki repeatedly trying to get guests around our table to interact with each other [when there was a middle-aged couple who didn't want to chat, a couple of lads in their late 20s/early 30s who just wanted to do their own thing, and lil' old me looking awkward while trying to read an audio-book on my phone]
  • Trying to board by myself! No-one wanted to give me a boarding number, as they kept assuming I was part of another group (despite my repeated insistence that I wasn't)
  • Taking a tour around the upper decks by myself, I'm pretty sure a couple thought I was following them (I just happened to be going in the same direction)
  • Trying to get a table for breakfast in buffet restaurant. While I got there fairly early and managed to snag a table to myself, I kept getting evil looks group groups of three and four who didn't want to ask for the remaining seats at my table, instead opting for lurking and hoping I would leave

I did thoroughly enjoy going to shows, lectures and shops by myself. Staff were so friendly and helpful, and I felt a lot more confidant doing it all on my own compared to travelling with others ^_^