Awkward Solo Moments

adaymerced

He noted the table number on a little pad he was carrying and took me to a different table.

I would have sat down at the table and said to the host. "If these people cannot be polite, I would appreciate you seating them elsewhere. I would prefer they not be at my table." Make THEM move.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you for replying to my question :)

I travel solo, and would have been so upset had this happened to me.

Reinforces why I always eat in the buffet!

Really? You never eat in the dining room? I would have been p'od too

but nobody's lack of manners are going to send me to the buffet.

I love the dining room:) there are also plenty of friendly folks who

have a great time.....I just sailed to Bermuda last month and had

a fabulous table:D....me, another gal from Texas and a family of 4

from Brooklyn.....we had a blast all week and I looked forward to

seeing them every night!:)

Hi everyone! I'm so glad I found this thread - thank you for all of the great suggestions.

I am taking my first solo cruise later this month and am very excited. I am single and most of my friends are married, some married with children. I tried to plan a girls weekend this past summer with several of my friends but something would always happen where they could not go. Since I had been on two cruises before with family, I decided to plan a cruise for "me" as I was tired of waiting. :)

A couple of people on this thread have asked about where to find good rates for solo cruisers. Vacations to Go has a section on their website called "singles discounts". I monitored this section for a while and ended up getting a great rate on the RCCL Allure of the Seas. I got a balcony ocean view cabin for a little over $1,000 for a 7 day cruise. Our cruise has a very active thread on CC so I am really looking forward to it. I am a people person but do enjoy my time to myself as I have been divorced for 14 years. I am looking forward to doing what I want, when I want!

Again, thank you all for the great suggestions!

I would have sat down at the table and said to the host. "If these people cannot be polite, I would appreciate you seating them elsewhere. I would prefer they not be at my table." Make THEM move.

THAT would be hilarious to try! :)

I eat most of the time in the main dining room, and have never come across behaviour that disgusting. The majority of people are very welcoming. I think that scenario is a good time to get angry, not upset. Vocalise your anger. Draw on the depths of your vocabulary. Throw in some forgotten 18th century insults. Make it a learning experience for the insolent. It's for their own good ;)

I think you and I would be very good friends if we met in real life! ;)

As for the host who wrote the table number in his notepad... hopefully that note was a reminder to him to not seat ANYONE else at that table -- leave that couple sitting alone at a six-top and make them look like the freaks that they are!

As for the host who wrote the table number in his notepad... hopefully that note was a reminder to him to not seat ANYONE else at that table -- leave that couple sitting alone at a six-top and make them look like the freaks that they are!

Great idea!!!

Ha ha love it :)

Ok....here's my translation of what she said....

(When the host attempted to seat me at a 6 top with one other couple already seated, the woman of the couple vehemently refused to allow me to be seated there, saying that they would not dine with any solos, only other couples.)

"My marriage/relationship is a mess. I can't trust my partner with single women."

So, maybe he has strayed in the past with a "single" woman? Poor gal, I guess it's a good thing he didn't cheat on her with a married woman. She'd have to change her dining rule to an exclusive table for two.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Ok....here's my translation of what she said....

(When the host attempted to seat me at a 6 top with one other couple already seated, the woman of the couple vehemently refused to allow me to be seated there, saying that they would not dine with any solos, only other couples.)

"My marriage/relationship is a mess. I can't trust my partner with single women."

So, maybe he has strayed in the past with a "single" woman? Poor gal, I guess it's a good thing he didn't cheat on her with a married woman. She'd have to change her dining rule to an exclusive table for two.

Maybe he strayed but probably he didn't. One thing for sure, she is very insecure. If he did wish to cheat, I think his odds of success would be better with a married woman (similarly inclined) since single women likely would not be interested in a married man. It's all pretty far fetched anyway since it's just dinner.

Maybe he strayed but probably he didn't. One thing for sure, she is very insecure. If he did wish to cheat, I think his odds of success would be better with a married woman (similarly inclined) since single women likely would not be interested in a married man. It's all pretty far fetched anyway since it's just dinner.

Actually, I agree with you - he probably didn't stray and she is completely insecure. But I always find it funny when I run across women like her. They always seem to have a guy that's no great shakes in the first place.

Eating at the buffet, even if I left stuff on the table, about half the time they would clear the table and someone else would be there when I got back.

um, not to be difficult but you know that even if you were not traveling solo, the staff would've cleared the table anyway? It much less of an issue if you use the buffet when it's not so busy.

Signed up early in the day for a table at an ala carte. The maitre'd wouldn't seat me when I showed up.

did he say WHY?

Edited by LizG12

Really? You never eat in the dining room? I would have been p'od too

but nobody's lack of manners are going to send me to the buffet.

I love the dining room:) there are also plenty of friendly folks who

have a great time.....I just sailed to Bermuda last month and had

a fabulous table:D....me, another gal from Texas and a family of 4

from Brooklyn.....we had a blast all week and I looked forward to

seeing them every night!:)

Hi

I tried the dining room once - and for an introvert like myself it was torture :o

A table by myself in the buffet, outside of peak times, my Kindle and I'm very happy :D

......did 28 days South Pacific cruise this way, and had a fabulous time. The crew in the buffet were just wonderful :)

Hi

I tried the dining room once - and for an introvert like myself it was torture :o

A table by myself in the buffet, outside of peak times, my Kindle and I'm very happy :D

......did 28 days South Pacific cruise this way, and had a fabulous time. The crew in the buffet were just wonderful :)

Glad you were happy and were treated well.

I much prefer having dinner with other folks...then again, we have

totally opposite personalities.....shy and introverted have never

been a part of mine.

Bahahahahahaha! Excellent idea!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonbeam3 viewpost.gif

Eating at the buffet, even if I left stuff on the table, about half the time they would clear the table and someone else would be there when I got back.

um, not to be difficult but you know that even if you were not traveling solo, the staff would've cleared the table anyway? It much less of an issue if you use the buffet when it's not so busy.

Quote:

Signed up early in the day for a table at an ala carte. The maitre'd wouldn't seat me when I showed up.

did he say WHY?

I never saw the buffet when it wasn't a complete zoo! Guess they were full up...

The ala carte guy may have said 'no single tables'. That place was also a zoo since the crowd for each seating stands around until their name is called. He didn't seem to speak English (right!).

This resort was on sale for $60/nite for a beachfront room (inc food & drink), with a nice snorkeling reef right off the beach. I might do it again for that price! :)

Sharon

• 3 weeks later...

I just had this conversation with someone (not on a cruise, but cruise related)

me - I'm going alone on a cruise in Dec

J - that's nice, going with your family?

me - no, I'm going alone

J - but with a tour, right?

me - no, just me

J - you're going to be alone on the ship??

me - well, me and 4000 other people

J - uh, :eek: :confused:

me - I'm going alone on a cruise in Dec

J - that's nice, going with your family?

me - no, I'm going alone

J - but with a tour, right?

me - no, just me

J - you're going to be alone on the ship??

me - well, me and 4000 other people

J - uh, :eek: :confused:

I got the same reaction, but from an agent in Customs. He seemed to have a problem with me cruising solo. So that meant going into another room, bag search, and all the fun stuff. They found nothing, and begrudgingly sent me on my way.

Solos cruising out of Port Canaveral, take note.

I got the same reaction, but from an agent in Customs. He seemed to have a problem with me cruising solo. So that meant going into another room, bag search, and all the fun stuff. They found nothing, and begrudgingly sent me on my way.

Solos cruising out of Port Canaveral, take note.

Hi, I just sailed from there last month and thankfully I had no issues:D

Sorry you did....omg...they searched your bags?:(

Edited by Lois R

Hi, I just sailed from there last month and thankfully I had no issues:D

Sorry you did....omg...they searched your bags?:(

Yup. Bag check, emptying out the pockets, and stupid questions. It was after returning from the Bahamas, so he must have thought I was smuggling, and I don't mean rum runners. I'll give him credit for searching carefully, instead of doing it like on "Cops". It was funny to see a surprised guilty look on his face when all he found was dirty clothes, my electric shaver, and souvenir glasses.

Port of Miami (after a sailing that stops in Mexico) was much better. The agent was still being surly and robotic, but all I got was a few routine questions, followed by a terse "welcome back". So I guess I'll wait until I find people to cruise with before sailing out of Port Canaveral again. I heard that low-volume ports (the ones with just one or two ships) have less strict Customs checks.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

• 3 weeks later...
When I go to buffets alone and go to get seconds ....I always lean my chair forward up against the table on the front two legs. That seems to be the universal signal that the seat is occupied.

I never thought about doing that - thanks for the idea - I will try it. Hate losing my place and half my meal when I want a drink refill.

I'm going on my first solo cruise this December (actually a B2B solo, 14 days) on Carnival-Glory to the Caribbean, it's very exciting. My last (and first) cruise was a 16-day Hawaiian cruise with my Ex and she brought so much baggage (emotional baggage.... we literally brought her Mother on the cruise with us, it was a total nightmare and led to a hurtful breakup). But I don't blame Carnival, honestly I LOVED LOVED LOVED the cruise but hated the company! When in my life does anyone ever make my bed for me and buss my dishes and cook my food... I loved it 110%. So I booked two seven day cruises to the Caribbean from Dec 1st. My opinion about solo cruising (pre-first-solo mind you) is this...

Your life experience is what YOU make of it. If you want to bring emotional baggage and a sense of lack with you on your cruise that is up to you, but IT IS TOTALLY OPTIONAL. Remember, it is up to you to craft your experience and make yourself happy. IT IS UP TO YOU TO CRAFT YOUR EXPERIENCE.

Look at that Johnny Rocket's story from another perspective... you mentioned how tired the two parents looked and how sugar-spun the children were. Maybe they weren't looking down on you for being solo and enjoying yourself, maybe they were DESPERATELY trying to have some interaction with another adult, something to take away the insanity of being around their loud obnoxious children. I don't think it was all about you and really only about them (most situations in life are like that)... but that's just my take on it. They were trying to craft their experience to have dinners at Johnny Rocket's with their horrible children and have someone, just anyone, for the love of God anyone!!!!! throw them a life-line. I literally think they had SOOOO MUCH envy for you and your solo-enjoyment.

I choose to think about my solo-cruise that way, all those entangled losers desperately wish to have the freedom and courage we have to take a solo cruise. SOLO CRUISERS RULE!!!! God bless!

Greg

I love cruising solo, and have done it for 6 of my 9 cruises. That being said, there are moments that are particularly awkward. I'm curious if other folks have similar experiences.

I prefer to be seated at a large table for dinner. I feel a bit like a third wheel sitting at a table for 4 when there's just me and a couple. That can be VERY awkward.

What is really awkward is when you're eating alone, and someone (out of the kindness of their hearts) invites you to join them and you politely decline. Sometimes they don't take no for an answer. I was having a burger at Johnny Rocket's on Freedom of the Seas and on the last chapter of a pretty good book when a family sitting next to me invited me to join them. I was pretty much finished with my meal and just finishing the last few pages of my book, so I said "No, but thank you." and then the Dad and I got into an extraordinarily polite battle of wills. He kept insisting and I kept declining and so forth.

Some folks just can't imagine why someone might want to be alone, even for just an instant, rather than join a family they don't know composed of two tired adults and three sugar filled kids.

As to the shows, I attend a lot of theatre in real life solo, (live and film) so I have over the years grown less self-conscious about this. So much so that I often go see something solo even if I know someone has expressed interest in seeing it with me. But sometimes on the cruise, people really want you to join there group, which is usually fine. But occasionally it's a collection of loud drunks who are interrupting the show and you really don't want to be grouped in with them.

I always feel awkward at the pool or hot tub though. Especially if I forget my sunglasses I feel like kind of a creeper just sitting by the pool alone. I become paranoid that people think I'm there to stare at girls in bikini's. Also similar experiences in the hot tub.

And some excursions are a bit rough to do solo, as they are often built with the idea of having someone help you with things and you get kind of "spotlighted" for being alone.

Do folks have similar experiences?

I never thought about doing that - thanks for the idea - I will try it. Hate losing my place and half my meal when I want a drink refill.

It's not too hard to learn to carry two cups in one hand (even three). Takes just a little practice :) Or put down your full plate and go back and get enough drinks for yourself. The staff should hopefully be smart enough not to clear away a full untouched plate of food. At breakfast and lunch, I've never worried about getting the same seat for meals, I just use it as an excuse to wander around different parts of the ship for a place too eat - Pool side, at the outdoor bars, sun decks... I've seen people (couples and solos) eat at the outdoor adult quiet sundecks too. The crew seems to be used to picking up dishes from all outdoor decks although I try to return plates to the nearest dining area if I'm out of the way. And ever since I became more active in roll calls, I've always met people to have dinner with in the evenings.

Edited by kylenyc

• 2 months later...

I just booked my first solo cruise. I will be on the Norwegian Epic, so they are used to solo travelers.

I'm Swiss, so my native language is Swiss-German. I do speak some English and I was fine on my last cruise. We made a private tour with a group of Americans and it was nice to talk to them. But I do have a funny accent and limited vocabulary.

Last time, I was on the cruise with my bf. So I never were alone. This time I'm depending on my own. So I'm a little worried that other guests are not interested in meeting me. Besides I'm only 29 years old.

What are your experiences with guest from non-anglophone countries?