Awkward Solo Moments

adaymerced

I was scheduled to go on a 7 day cruise in September, but my travel mates bailed, and I did cancel becuse I was not sure I wanted to do a 7 day solo, but thinking about going on the 5 day to see how I handle it. I figure with 2 of the 5 days in port I would be able to survive.

I have talked my self into it and out of doing a solo many times so far. I am a little of an introvert but also a social butterfly (if that makes sense.)

I am thinking about doing the Carnival Triumph 5 day, but not sure what type of cabin. I alays get a balcony, but thinking either inside or Ocean View. Any suggestions?

If you don't try it you'll never know if you are missing out on something. Even if you don't like it, it is only five days. I would compromise and try an oceanview. All my cruises except one have been in oceanview. I like having the natural light and it is much better than sleeping in a "closet" (my feelings on an interior room).

If you don't try it you'll never know if you are missing out on something. Even if you don't like it, it is only five days. I would compromise and try an oceanview. All my cruises except one have been in oceanview. I like having the natural light and it is much better than sleeping in a "closet" (my feelings on an interior room).

Agreed. Give it a try and see what works for you. Also as you go along you learn what situations help you feel more comfortable, e.g. I prefer fixed seating in the MDR so that I only have to introduce myself once and have the same group of new friends to dine with each evening. But that's my preference & comfort level. Mornings I want to be alone with my coffee. During the day I enjoy meeting and chatting with other travelers. Like some of the others on this board, I've been "adopted" by couples as well as other solo travelers and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I love the atmosphere of camaraderie on a ship...something that is lacking in land-based hotels I think because of their very nature...on ships we're all literally in "the same boat together." As for cabins, I prefer balcony, but with the single supplement an outside cabin is often the max my budget will permit. I've found that while I really enjoy traveling with a friend, I then want to go solo afterward for the freedom it entails. Regardless of what you choose I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Regarding my earlier "norovirus" comment, I had read on another cruise-critic thread that stewards are required to be mindful of their charges' activities, and if someone isn't leaving their room, the steward is supposed to evaluate the room-bound person for illness and report it.

Also, sometimes I wish I could just leave a Do Not Disturb sign on my door so I don't have to worry about the steward interrupting me, or loitering around just waiting for me to leave. I prefer an undisturbed room. When travelling alone, I can use a towel more than once, and I don't need somebody turning down my sheets. But in their zeal to provide high level of service, the stewards hover around likes bees on flowers. To me the best service is giving me enough toilet paper and towels for the whole trip, then leaving me the heck alone!

Edited by styxfire

Regarding my earlier "norovirus" comment, I had read on another cruise-critic thread that stewards are required to be mindful of their charges' activities, and if someone isn't leaving their room, the steward is supposed to evaluate the room-bound person for illness and report it.

Also, sometimes I wish I could just leave a Do Not Disturb sign on my door so I don't have to worry about the steward interrupting me, or loitering around just waiting for me to leave. I prefer an undisturbed room. When travelling alone, I can use a towel more than once, and I don't need somebody turning down my sheets. But in their zeal to provide high level of service, the stewards hover around likes bees on flowers. To me the best service is giving me enough toilet paper and towels for the whole trip, then leaving me the heck alone!

I think cruising just may not be for you. If all you want to do is hole up in a room and never see another soul, why not just check into a hotel and order room service for a week?

I have never heard of any cabin attendant reporting anyone to their

supersvisor for not leaving their room....I think that is totally false.

If you don't want your cabin attendant cleaning your room or changing

your towels? You need to speak with them at the beginning of the

cruise about it and tell them, please don't make my bed, don't change

my towels, etc......Oh I have never had them hover.....they are busy

cleaning lots of cabins.......

It is part of their job to do these things.

It sounds like cruising may not be a vacation for you.

Edited by Lois R

I think cruising just may not be for you. If all you want to do is hole up in a room and never see another soul, why not just check into a hotel and order room service for a week?

Because it's nice to be moving on the ocean. And out of phone contact!

Because it's nice to be moving on the ocean. And out of phone contact!

Then go on a cruise and don't worry about the rest.

Explain to your steward on the first day what you would like him/her to do or not do, and forget about the rest. I've never met a cabin steward who wasn't willing to do EXACTLY what the customer wanted (within reason, of course! LOL). As long as you make it clear that he's going to be getting his full tips for the week, I would think he would be more than happy to let you have your solitude (and for him to have some free time every day!).

It's YOUR vacation. Do what you want!

Then go on a cruise and don't worry about the rest.

Explain to your steward on the first day what you would like him/her to do or not do, and forget about the rest. I've never met a cabin steward who wasn't willing to do EXACTLY what the customer wanted (within reason, of course! LOL). As long as you make it clear that he's going to be getting his full tips for the week, I would think he would be more than happy to let you have your solitude (and for him to have some free time every day!).

It's YOUR vacation. Do what you want!

I agree with you, if you let the cabin stewards know what you want, they will try to do that. I usually tell my steward that the only thing I need is ice as I drink a lot of water. Once they learn your schedule you won't have too many problems. I usually am an early riser, even on sea days, and on sea days I like to read a book, take a nap, read a book, take a nap, etc. Also, you can use the do not disturb sign and they will not bother you or hover. I like to relax on sea days, and explore new places when in port, and have never had any problems with stewards being a bother.

I agree with you, if you let the cabin stewards know what you want, they will try to do that. I usually tell my steward that the only thing I need is ice as I drink a lot of water. Once they learn your schedule you won't have too many problems. I usually am an early riser, even on sea days, and on sea days I like to read a book, take a nap, read a book, take a nap, etc. Also, you can use the do not disturb sign and they will not bother you or hover. I like to relax on sea days, and explore new places when in port, and have never had any problems with stewards being a bother.

Hi Stranger:).....good advice. That is what I had said.....let the

cabin attendant know and leave the Do Not Disturb sign on the door.

If the cruiser doesn't want the attendant for anything the whole time?

Said attendant should not have any issues. If the cruiser speaks with

them at the start of the cruise and lets their attendant know everything?

They should be able to stay in their cabin 24/7 if they want:eek:

Thanks for the info. I noticed that there is a 1A available that has portholes. Has anyone stayed in a cabin like that?

I will be staying in one on Carnval Splendor on Jan. 4. It's the same price as interior Room but allows some natural light. I think it's a great choice for a solo traveler.

Hi Stranger:).....good advice. That is what I had said.....let the

cabin attendant know and leave the Do Not Disturb sign on the door.

If the cruiser doesn't want the attendant for anything the whole time?

Said attendant should not have any issues. If the cruiser speaks with

them at the start of the cruise and lets their attendant know everything?

They should be able to stay in their cabin 24/7 if they want:eek:

Hi Lois, I see you have another cruise coming up in a month or two. I went to Bermuda last fall and really enjoyed it. Hope you have a great trip. Neil

I will be staying in one on Carnval Splendor on Jan. 4. It's the same price as interior Room but allows some natural light. I think it's a great choice for a solo traveler.

I've also stayed in cabins with portholes and had a very reasonable amount of light...as well as a view that interior cabins don't have. Interestingly, I'll be on the Splendor on Jan 12. :)

I've also stayed in cabins with portholes and had a very reasonable amount of light...as well as a view that interior cabins don't have. Interestingly, I'll be on the Splendor on Jan 12. :)

That's interesting. Will you have a porthole room on the Main Deck? You might be taking over my room on Jan. 12th.

When you cruise alone, the number one thing that people think (to themselves) but won't say aloud is "I wonder what's wrong with that person that they have to travel alone..." Another unpleasant fact is that you have to talk to strangers at every breakfast and lunch. If you're a socialite, that's great, but if you're a person who really enjoys being alone, then forced conversation at every meal starts becoming a chore. If you're a loner, you do have the option to get room service, but you never get as good of food or the same quantity as if you'd eaten in MDR or buffet. Also, if you are by yourself a lot, the cabin steward may start to think you have norovirus.

I haven't cruised solo before, but might in the future. I just wanted to point out that I usually cruise with a family group (not my husband, he has been reluctant to cruise in the past, going on his first with me in Jan, but that's another story), but They all like to do their own thing, and I spend the vast majority of my time alone. It never occurred to me that people wondered why I was alone. I don't socialize much, but I do chat with people if they want to, by the pool, on deck, or wherever, and no one has asked if I was cruising alone. So I figured, for me, cruising solo would not be very different.

My biggest concern was dinner, for some reason, even though I have traveled alone for professional conferences where I didn't know anyone, I have never mastered the art of being comfortable dining alone in a restaurant, and usually resort to getting something from a good restaurant carry-out and eating in my hotel room. I can totally understand how you might feel like the odd man out. Before my husband agreed to come with me for my next cruise, I was going to try either dining alone, or more likely requesting to be seated at a large table, with the option of room service to fall back on if it felt too uncomfortable. But I love the specialty restaurants, so that was going to be something I was going to have to figure out.

I guess I'm just saying I understand how you feel, but from spending a lot of time alone on my cruises, I don't think people really wonder anything about you to themselves.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Edited by Greensuz

Oh yes...the hot tub ! ;) Great place for conversation.

So true! Maybe it's the sense of intimacy in the small circular space or something, but I've never stepped into a hot tub on a cruise and NOT been pulled into conversation by others, even if I really just want to relax with eyes closed! Yes, boundaries, but I love to talk, too, so I always end up joining in! :)

Also, I don't drink, either, and have had many more awkward moments because of that. I almost never get to order a frozen non-alcoholic drink from the pool bar without being questioned by others sitting at the bar about what is wrong with me that I don't drink. It's apparently something of a novelty to many bar patrons. :/

My biggest concern was dinner, for some reason, even though I have traveled alone for professional conferences where I didn't know anyone, I have never mastered the art of being comfortable dining alone in a restaurant, and usually resort to getting something from a good restaurant carry-out and eating in my hotel room. I can totally understand how you might feel like the odd man out. Before my husband agreed to come with me for my next cruise, I was going to try either dining alone, or more likely requesting to be seated at a large table, with the option of room service to fall back on if it felt too uncomfortable. But I love the specialty restaurants, so that was going to be something I was going to have to figure out.

There seems to be some sort of stigma and/or an unwritten rule against eating alone in a restaurant (that is, any place with waiter service). It's gotta be true, since this topic gets mentioned time and time again. So I don't blame you for not feeling comfortable doing that. Heck, that's exactly what I ended up doing when staying at my pre-cruise hotel, when I took a cruise solo. I picked up a meal to go from a nearby restaurant, walked back to my hotel, and ate while watching TV. Then I wandered up and down the main road until it was too late in the day to do that safely. Plus, some sections of the road didn't have streetlights.

However, I quickly learned that cruise ships are exempt from the "no eating alone in restaurants" rule. I saw more people than I could count eating alone, both in the buffet and the MDR. During dinner in the MDR, your assigned tablemates act as a safety net of sorts, giving you a regular group of people to eat with. (NCL doesn't have assigned dining, so take note.) I can't speak for specialty restaurants, since the ships I sailed on don't have them. But probably same rules as the rest of the eateries on the ship.

(Quick note: the word "rules" is meant to be tongue-in-cheek. Don't get the idea that I actually think there are rules regulating who people eat with.)

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

LOL Greensuz, you have a good point there! People seem to get stymied when I say I don't drink. When seated with people who are having 1 glass of wine with their dinner, they don't care if I drink too or not. But when seated with people who are drinking for recreation, it seems almost an affront to them if I decline alcohol. Then they persist and persist: "Just one, my treat" or else quit talking to you altogether because they assume I'm a stuffed shirt :)

Cruise ships are geared toward drinking, because of the hefty profit margin and easier sales. Most of my friends who don't drink won't consider cruising because of the "party atmosphere" associated with it. I've considered going to a "Friends of Bill" meeting onboard just to meet some people who want to do other things with their time, but never actually had the nerve. I probably would be a bit of an outsider there, too, and wouldn't want to unintentionally cause insult.

Edited by styxfire

Hi,

Maybe it is because I travel often for my job so I am used to eating alone - but I honestly have never noticed it being an issue on land or at sea. Never noticed any questioning, or pitying looks from others, and I've never felt uncomfortable. I just bring my Kindle; or if I am not on vacation- some work to look over and all is well. Maybe try some good reading material and/or a great glass of wine! :)

Caro

Edited by caro1998
Punctuation

Hi,

Maybe it is because I travel often for my job so I am used to eating alone - but I honestly have never noticed it being an issue on land or at sea. Never noticed any questioning, or pitying looks from others, and I've never felt uncomfortable. I just bring my Kindle; or if I am not on vacation- some work to look over and all is well. Maybe try some good reading material and/or a great glass of wine! :)

Caro

I eat alone in restaurants all the time and often sit in the Lounge or at the Bar since they usually offer the same menu. Eating at the Bar can be similar to being on a cruise and dining with other solo cruisers. Conversation with nearby diners is easier at the bar but not as easy as at the "singles" table in the MDR.

I'm very comfortable going on excursions alone. I usually tell the tour guide that I'm alone and don't leave without me since I don't have anyone to speak up if I'm missing.

Even when I travel with friends, I usually do a lot of activities alone because I know what I want to do and when I want to do it. I like to decide at the last minute sometimes to play trivia or watch an exhibition dance in the atrium or just have a latte and watch the sea go by.

...Eating at the Bar can be similar to being on a cruise and dining with other solo cruisers. Conversation with nearby diners is easier at the bar but not as easy as at the "singles" table in the MDR.
How do you get at the "singles" table? i.e. at what point during the reservation process (or cruise itself) do you make that request, and to whom?