Awkward Solo Moments

adaymerced

How do you get at the "singles" table? i.e. at what point during the reservation process (or cruise itself) do you make that request, and to whom?

It's hit or miss, from my experience. I always ask for a large table at the late (fixed) seating. On my HAL cruise to Bermuda last August, I was seated with 5 other solo women and it was GREAT! On a Carnival cruise to Caribbean spring 2012, I was seated with one woman (who was from New England, like me).

I found out something interesting this morning. I heard back from the Carnival

Victory Maitre D who confirmed with me that they do try to put solos together at the same table when possible. There was a bit more in the email, but he told me to come see him this afternoon to see what he can do. I will let you know how it works out :)

I cruised solo twice. Each time, I had a good table. There was always at least one other solo at the table, and the non-solos were generally welcoming and inclusive; they treated me as an equal. One time, two of my tablemates (non-solos) were close to me in age, so we ended up hanging out together outside of dinner.

Long story short, even if you're not matched specifically with solos, don't let that stop you from coming to dinner in the MDR. If you get a bad table, ask to be moved; problem solved.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

It's hit or miss, from my experience. I always ask for a large table at the late (fixed) seating. On my HAL cruise to Bermuda last August, I was seated with 5 other solo women and it was GREAT! On a Carnival cruise to Caribbean spring 2012, I was seated with one woman (who was from New England, like me).

How do you get at the "singles" table? i.e. at what point during the reservation process (or cruise itself) do you make that request, and to whom?

I agree. It is hit or miss but I have a good idea after the first night if I will like dining and talking to the people at the table and will not hesitate to ask for another table the next day. The fact that many people are always absent from the MDR because of the buffet and specialty restaurant options means that most large tables will not be full on a given night. I have never had a problem switching tables. Just speak to the Maitre D' at breakfast or lunch the following day about changing tables that night.

When I've used a travel agent or when I use a PVPlanner, I just tell them that I would like to be at a large table with other singles. They never guarantee it but I've had really good luck doing that. The last two times we were at a table for 10 and there were 10 singles in 5 cabins (friends traveling together just like us). They can see more in the rez system than we can (PVP).

Hi,

Just got back from my cruise and I had a great table! One couple, 4 people traveling solo (including myself) and 3 people who never showed up at all and will forever remain mysterious :) Two of us even enjoyed Chef's table together and ended up meeting another person who posts on here as well!

Every ship has it's own personality. I loved my 1st trip last summer, but overall I found the people on this cruise to be very friendly.

Caro

• 4 weeks later...

Well my fears about dinner were mostly unfounded; I found myself on a table for 10, one of whom never showed up. Mostly other solos. We were joined the 2nd night by a woman wanting to move from her allocated table because some old biddy sitting there had the temerity to tell her that she drank too much! Bl**dy cheek! She did drink, so do I, so did most people on our table and she was a lot of fun. I wouldn't dream of criticising someone who chose for any reason NOT to drink wine!

Most table mates were easy pleasant company and I enjoyed meeting up with them each night. There was one old buffer who was a total pain, and seemed especially critical of me because I revealed that I am married but cruised solo because my OH doesn't like cruising and my daughter's now grown up. He was a widower and clearly resented the fact that I had choices and exercised them. It became awkward as the cruise went on and we ended up sitting at opposite ends of the table. He also made some sly attempts to turn other people against me, and they say women are bitchy! Though I felt a bit sorry for him, I wouldn't let him try to wreck my cruise. But it did make a for a few awkward moments.

Well my fears about dinner were mostly unfounded; I found myself on a table for 10, one of whom never showed up. Mostly other solos. We were joined the 2nd night by a woman wanting to move from her allocated table because some old biddy sitting there had the temerity to tell her that she drank too much! Bl**dy cheek! She did drink, so do I, so did most people on our table and she was a lot of fun. I wouldn't dream of criticising someone who chose for any reason NOT to drink wine!

Most table mates were easy pleasant company and I enjoyed meeting up with them each night. There was one old buffer who was a total pain, and seemed especially critical of me because I revealed that I am married but cruised solo because my OH doesn't like cruising and my daughter's now grown up. He was a widower and clearly resented the fact that I had choices and exercised them. It became awkward as the cruise went on and we ended up sitting at opposite ends of the table. He also made some sly attempts to turn other people against me, and they say women are bitchy! Though I felt a bit sorry for him, I wouldn't let him try to wreck my cruise. But it did make a for a few awkward moments.

If one cannot have a few safe drinks on a cruise, where can one have a drink ? That's the way I see it :) Also... The old buffer must be really bored to care so deeply.

I've found that negative people have a low self worth and that happy people who like themselves treat others well.

I don't know if I'd call it awkward but,

I travel solo routinely.

The problem I have is, I cannot reach the center of my back for sun-tan lotion.

It has been perplexing wondering WHO I should ask for help. It's either that or get a strange sunburn.

I travel solo routinely.

It has been perplexing wondering WHO I should ask for help. It's either that or get a strange sunburn.

If you are a guy...the hottest girl you can find.

If you are a girl...the hottest guy you can fine.:D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

Well on my cruise, I used the spa facilities often enough that I just went up to the front desk and looked for someone I recognized and asked them to spray me! They were more than happy to do it. :) LOL

C-

I travel solo routinely.

Next month I will be traveling Solo with friends of ours, as my DH would prefer to wait on our long awaited Australia trip which follows 5 months later. During the day during our cruises, except for breakfast or watching the pool games, we tend to go our separate ways, meeting up later for something we plan to see. During the day next month i will be touring with our friends so won't be totally alone, except the evenings for shows. As a Solo cruiserr, how much $$ to you usually bring. We will be sailing from Vancouver and doing the Coastal so will bring Canadian $$.

Next month I will be traveling Solo with friends of ours, as my DH would prefer to wait on our long awaited Australia trip which follows 5 months later. During the day during our cruises, except for breakfast or watching the pool games, we tend to go our separate ways, meeting up later for something we plan to see. During the day next month i will be touring with our friends so won't be totally alone, except the evenings for shows. As a Solo cruiserr, how much $$ to you usually bring. We will be sailing from Vancouver and doing the Coastal so will bring Canadian $$.

Hi, I just returned home from another solo cruise...(it is the only way I sail;))

How much cash I bring usually depends on the cruise but I always bring

it with me. I always bring cash and a couple of different credit cards.

Hi Lois, my DH has already told me, if he decides he doesn't wish to cruise anymore, for me to go ahead and go as he knows I enjoy it.:). He has said 3 times now that the cruise we were on will be his last, yet Mom books and he follows.:D He said the 2008 Hawaii would be his last, then the 2011 TA, and now our upcoming Australia trip starting in March ( 54 days ) will be the last. That one entails, a 13 day NZ, 9 days sight seeing in and around Sydney, followed by the 18 day Transpacific and 12 day Hawaii to Vancouver. He enjoys cruising and meeting people, seeing the Ports, but if he isn't doing something all the time, then gets bored while I can have a good time,sitting around and watch people, or do nothing.:).

I will start off in Vancouver & cruise to San Pedro, so figuring for tips, dinner, taxi, emergency, probably a little slots. I probably will take around $500, perhaps $200 in Canadian.

Gay

Which ship and sailing date are you and your friends taking? We will be on Sapphire Princess from Vancouver to L.A. next month. If that's yours then please join our Roll Call and our Meet & Greet.

I am on the Star Princess, Sept 22nd sailing, which sailing are you on.

Gay

Sapphire Princess sailing Sept. 28th. Both our cruises have the exact same itinerary. The two ships seem similar as well. Really looking forward to our cruise. You enjoy yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by 42CruiseCrazy

Thank you , have a wonderful cruise as well. last time I was on a Princess cruise was when DH & I did the 17 day Panama out of Ft Lauderdale in 2006 and this was on the much older Sun Princess so haven't sailed on their larger ships. We usually stay with RCL but do enjoy Princess. It all comes down to price and itinerary and Princess deoes have attractive ones.

When getting off the NCL Sky in Miami a customs officer asked me "why are you traveling alone and why I can't get anyone to go with me". This made me mad inside but being that he was in authority I decided to keep my mouth shut.

Sometimes the Customs guys are IDIOTS:eek:.....

I just came back from sailing to Bermuda out of New Jersey.....when

I got to the rep, she looked at my Passport.....it says UNITED STATES....

she asks me if I was an American Citizen:rolleyes:

When getting off the NCL Sky in Miami a customs officer asked me "why are you traveling alone and why I can't get anyone to go with me". This made me mad inside but being that he was in authority I decided to keep my mouth shut.

Because I work for Customs in another country, and we're horrible people who have no friends. ;)