Awkward Solo Moments

adaymerced

I've travelled solo many times now and I enjoy it. Hubby stays home for various reasons and I'm constantly explaining that 'No, hubby does not want to cruise.' It's not annoying really and you would not believe how many folks have told me to stop wearing my wedding band so no one will know I'm married.

As for solo, I'm often adopted by couples or groups who happily include me in excursions or dinner. At 60+ , it's an interesting experience. Shar

Hi,:) I have cruised over 30 times solo....depends on how much room is in

that hot tub;) but I have gone in them plenty of times.....ususally everyone is friendly. Of course, you may get the idiot but you get them in real life too:rolleyes:.....

I am sailing again in August (solo of course LOL)....going to Bermuda

and plan on having a wonderful time.....I always do!

Oh yes...the hot tub ! ;) Great place for conversation.

I'm a little worried about people confusing my "solo" trip, with looking around to meet people as a "single". I'm not looking to hook up.

Sent using CC app

true, "single" does have a double ambiguous meaning. :rolleyes:

I'm a little worried about people confusing my "solo" trip, with looking around to meet people as a "single". I'm not looking to hook up.

Sent using CC app

Unless you are married or otherwise in a committed relationship, why can't it be both.

I cruise solo, however I am also single. I never go with the expectation of a "hookup". Not my style. However I do keep an open mind that I may meet someone that I will connect with as in mind heart and soul. So I'm solo with no expectations, however I don't close off the option of meeting someone special,,,,ya never know. Have a Great Vacation!

I have started using the term solo traveller after visiting this site...sounds less desperate than single. I decided life is to be lived and to travel despite not having a special person in my life. Just hope people are friendly and will chat over meals etc and not treated like a freak !:eek:

I have started using the term solo traveller after visiting this site...sounds less desperate than single. I decided life is to be lived and to travel despite not having a special person in my life. Just hope people are friendly and will chat over meals etc and not treated like a freak !:eek:

Hi:)...I have not hada special person in my life for years......and I

find most cruisers are friendly and I have been sailing solo for 10

years now:D......it is the only way I cruise:)

I call myself a single/solo, still some think I'm looking for a hook-up.

No worries...you are not a freak ! :D People will be friendly and chatty to you ;)

I have been cruising for a while now, only 2 were with someone. I prefer the solo trip. I can go where I want, when I want, and do not have to take in to consideration another person's feelings. I know this is a bit callous. If you stayed any amount of time with my family you would relish your "me" time as well. I spent a week down in Florida in a condo with my sister and her family - seven people in all. I could not wait for them to head to the theme parks for the day. I even volunteered to do their daily laundry to get them moving sooner. I would rather travel with friends then with any of my siblings. I like my siblings just cannot stand to be around them very long.

Anyway cruising with Cruise Critic I have instant friends to travel with where ever I sail.

I've been cruising solo now for the past 14 years, on the first one I was a little apprehensive. I'm not the sort to attend any solos get together and I'm not looking for a new partner.

Like others have said I'm used to being on my own and it's my choice to be so, I like to take dinner at a table with others, but would rather eat on my own in the MDR for breakfast.

If I'm asked by people I've met to join them at a show or some other entertainment I go if it's something I want to see, but politely decline if I don't. I never go to see comedians as I deaf and can't understand what's going on.

Cruising is a great holiday for solos, and I would recommend it to anyone

This is such a fab thread! Filling me with confidence! Any tips for how not to feel awkward walking into the bar in the evening on my own when everyone seems to be either in couples or family groups...? Thank you!

Hi, just find a seat at the bar and say hello to the bartender!:D

I never feel awkward in the bars or lounges. The bartenders are usually

fabulous!:D

This is such a fab thread! Filling me with confidence! Any tips for how not to feel awkward walking into the bar in the evening on my own when everyone seems to be either in couples or family groups...? Thank you!

Seconding Lois R's comment. The simple answer is: you don't. Not absolutely everybody is coupled up. Some of them could easily be solos like yourself who just met. Just go in, get a drink, and be open to new conversations. To reduce the awkwardness even further, go to Latin music events, where it's common to dance with anyone who looks friendly. This'll work in your favor when it comes to meeting people.

On land, going to clubs by yourself is looked down upon, it seems, but on cruise ships, I never found that to be true. So use that to your advantage. Go into the club, get yourself a drink, and go from there.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

Hi, just find a seat at the bar and say hello to the bartender!:D

I never feel awkward in the bars or lounges. The bartenders are usually

fabulous!:D

Yes, if I feel chatty, I sit at the bar...people see to be more talkative around the bar, and I've had some pretty interesting conversations that way. If I want to be alone, I choose a table in the lounge and sit with my book or journal. I've sailed solo twice so far and enjoyed it...enough so that I have two more solo cruises booked. I'm not an extrovert, but I've always met kind and friendly people, whether sailing on my own, with my late husband, a friend, or a family member. The more I sail solo, the more I enjoy it.

Linda

I have read in this and other threads about going to talk the maitre d' after boarding to talk/ask about MDR tables. Is he just hanging around in the MDR when we first board? Or do I have to search for him? (Carnival)

Carnival Fascination July 8, 2013

Cruising solo is pretty rough if you don't drink, don't gamble and aren't a very good dancer. I have done it, and survived, and every once-in-awhile I think about doing it again.

BUT having cruised with friends AND cruised solo, I can say that cruising with friends is FAR more enjoyable.

When I cruised solo, I REALLY needed a vacation from work and responsibilities, so to that end the cruise served me well. But I was very conscious the entire time that everyone around me was talking to their travel-mates. I was on a weekend cruise in early November. But there was very little mingling with strangers... people were very caught up in socializing with those they travelled with, NOT meeting new people.

I didn't encounter a single rude person the entire cruise... all customers were polite and pleasant when I opened conversation. But, when people come with their families or romantic partners, they are only interested temporary conversation.

I loved my cruise. I enjoyed the shows, I took a photo with the captain, I truly enjoyed the two evenings I dined with my assigned table-mates (a married couple) and I know they enjoyed it too. I also loved seeing the ocean move past, and I loved the entertainment, and I can't say enough about how nice it was to have food prepared for me... breakfast/lunch/dinner... that's like hitting the jackpot :) I also took an excursion which was the highlight of my trip, and enjoyed chatting with a different married couple throughout that tour. The sunshine was great, and the accommodations were great, and my trip to the hairdresser was great (but spendy).

What WASN'T great were the never-ending questions from anyone I chatted with..."You're crusing alone? Wow! How is it? You're brave? Are you okay? I don't think I could do that!" etc. etc.

When you cruise alone, the number one thing that people think (to themselves) but won't say aloud is "I wonder what's wrong with that person that they have to travel alone..." Another unpleasant fact is that you have to talk to strangers at every breakfast and lunch. If you're a socialite, that's great, but if you're a person who really enjoys being alone, then forced conversation at every meal starts becoming a chore. If you're a loner, you do have the option to get room service, but you never get as good of food or the same quantity as if you'd eaten in MDR or buffet. Also, if you are by yourself a lot, the cabin steward may start to think you have norovirus.

Like I said, I found all passengers who spoke my language (English) to be completely pleasant. But I was also acutely aware that conversations were just casual chat, and when they finished being pleasant they would go back to their regular travel companions. When you cruise alone, you really are alone.

I will probably do it (solo) again sometime. But not for the enjoyment, because solo-traveling isn't that fun... I would probably do it just for the vacation from cooking/cleaning/life.

I loved my last cruise with friends, and purchased another cruise with friends for next winter...which I'm very excited for!

Cruising solo is pretty rough if you don't drink, don't gamble and aren't a very good dancer. I have done it, and survived, and every once-in-awhile I think about doing it again.

BUT having cruised with friends AND cruised solo, I can say that cruising with friends is FAR more enjoyable.

When I cruised solo, I REALLY needed a vacation from work and responsibilities, so to that end the cruise served me well. But I was very conscious the entire time that everyone around me was talking to their travel-mates. I was on a weekend cruise in early November. But there was very little mingling with strangers... people were very caught up in socializing with those they travelled with, NOT meeting new people.

I didn't encounter a single rude person the entire cruise... all customers were polite and pleasant when I opened conversation. But, when people come with their families or romantic partners, they are only interested temporary conversation.

I loved my cruise. I enjoyed the shows, I took a photo with the captain, I truly enjoyed the two evenings I dined with my assigned table-mates (a married couple) and I know they enjoyed it too. I also loved seeing the ocean move past, and I loved the entertainment, and I can't say enough about how nice it was to have food prepared for me... breakfast/lunch/dinner... that's like hitting the jackpot :) I also took an excursion which was the highlight of my trip, and enjoyed chatting with a different married couple throughout that tour. The sunshine was great, and the accommodations were great, and my trip to the hairdresser was great (but spendy).

What WASN'T great were the never-ending questions from anyone I chatted with..."You're crusing alone? Wow! How is it? You're brave? Are you okay? I don't think I could do that!" etc. etc.

When you cruise alone, the number one thing that people think (to themselves) but won't say aloud is "I wonder what's wrong with that person that they have to travel alone..." Another unpleasant fact is that you have to talk to strangers at every breakfast and lunch. If you're a socialite, that's great, but if you're a person who really enjoys being alone, then forced conversation at every meal starts becoming a chore. If you're a loner, you do have the option to get room service, but you never get as good of food or the same quantity as if you'd eaten in MDR or buffet. Also, if you are by yourself a lot, the cabin steward may start to think you have norovirus.

Like I said, I found all passengers who spoke my language (English) to be completely pleasant. But I was also acutely aware that conversations were just casual chat, and when they finished being pleasant they would go back to their regular travel companions. When you cruise alone, you really are alone.

I will probably do it (solo) again sometime. But not for the enjoyment, because solo-traveling isn't that fun... I would probably do it just for the vacation from cooking/cleaning/life.

I loved my last cruise with friends, and purchased another cruise with friends for next winter...which I'm very excited for!

Well, I can say that is why we are all different....and it is good because

if everyone was the same? OMG...life would be so very boring:eek:

It sounds like cruising solo is not for you.....nothing wrong with that.

But some of your comments seem very....out there....(in my opinion)

Traveling solo? In My opinion, is absolutely so much fun....I LOVE IT:D

After 10 years of cruising solo, I could care less if folks are wondering

if I am having a good time......I always have a great time:)

You said you had to had "forced conversation"....well, you can always

speak with the Maitr'd and let him know you do not want to sit with

anyone else......you then can sit on your own.

As for the cabin attendant? I seriously doubt they are going to think

you have any kind of norovirus.....I meet my cabin attendants and

always get to them a bit.

I am going again in 6 weeks....cannot wait to get back on the ship:D

And yes, when you go solo, you are solo....love it!:)

When you cruise alone, the number one thing that people think (to themselves) but won't say aloud is "I wonder what's wrong with that person that they have to travel alone..."

Meh. While I can't read minds, I never got the vibe that someone was looking at me and thinking "what the hell is wrong with that guy?" People's thoughts come out in their actions one way or another, and based on how we interacted, I just never got that vibe. And it'd be ridiculous to even imagine that all 2500 passengers and 1000 crew members are thinking the same thing in unison. A small subset of those people, sure, but I never interacted with them beyond saying "lido deck, please" (in an elevator) or something similar; then we'd pass each other like ships in the night (pardon the pun) and go about our ways.

The comment of stewards thinking you have noro is just way out in the left field. If a steward assumed that and falsely reported you, you'd probably remove all his gratuities, right? They know that, and won't assume. It's the job of ship's doctors, not stewards, to diagnose you. Maybe he'd send you to a doctor, who'd say you're fine after spending 15 minutes with you. But even that is extremely unlikely, except by someone prejudiced against solos.

I ended up getting "adopted" on my cruises; the people I met had similar interests to mine, and I joined them for a big part of the cruise. One person even said: "If everyone you know back home doesn't want to go on a cruise (that's true), it's smart of you to still come out; you can meet totally new people that way." Which I did. And I really liked the "it's smart of you" comment; it's leaps-and-bounds more complimentary than the overplayed "how brave of you" we all get.

I did get the "what the hell is wrong with him?" vibe at an AI resort many years ago, mostly from other guests, but from a few workers as well. I was there quasi-solo (came with a friend, had a falling out early on, then putzed around alone). It put me off AI's to this day, although I'm sure it'll be a whole different animal if I come to an AI with a romantic partner or a big group of friends. Perhaps you were on a wrong ship at the wrong time when you had that bad experience with solo cruising.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

I would agree with Lois and Landlocked. Solo cruising does not sound like it is something that you enjoy, so it may not be for you. That's OK, you should do what is comfortable for you. Those of us who love the solo cruising experience will continue to enjoy our trips as well. I have sailed on most of the mass market lines, and always as a solo. I can not remember any of them where I felt like I was all alone. I do like my quiet time as I am an avid reader so I spend time outside with a good book as a way to relax, but I also enjoy visiting with others and have not had a problem meeting others on any cruise.

Some people love the solo cruising, others feel uncomfortable when they are on their own without friends or family. Like Lois said, it doesn't make one right and one wrong, it just makes them different. There is nothing wrong with being different as that is what makes the world go round. Happy Sailing.

I have been on many cruises and on some the maitr'd plans ahead of your cruise. On Carnival cruises he made a point to put me at a table for 6-all solos and all in my age bracket. It was great. Carnival is good about that. On RCCL the maitr'd just throws you in wherever there's room. I had a difficult time convincing him that 13 at dinner is not my idea of fun, especially when most of the 12 are newlyweds.

I don't hate or love solo cruising. I would much rather be with friends or family on a cruise. Although I would never share a cabin. That part of solo cruising I love. To me it's nice to have people you know to share experiences, but I would never not go solo because I didn't have someone to go with. Unfortunately all my friend still work, (most of them are in the school system, and it's too expensive to cruise when they are off) have family responsibilities or just don't like cruising.

I have met some great people on cruises, one in particular that has become a very good friend, and only lives 40 minutes from me. We get together once in awhile, and talk on the phone at least once or twice a week. We've done 2cruises together and have 3 more booked, always separate cabins, but when our schedules don't match I'll go solo, much better than staying home. There are times when it get lonely, but overall I have a great time, and meet some wonderful people.

I don't hate or love solo cruising. I would much rather be with friends or family on a cruise. Although I would never share a cabin. That part of solo cruising I love. To me it's nice to have people you know to share experiences, but I would never not go solo because I didn't have someone to go with. Unfortunately all my friend still work, (most of them are in the school system, and it's too expensive to cruise when they are off) have family responsibilities or just don't like cruising.

I have met some great people on cruises, one in particular that has become a very good friend, and only lives 40 minutes from me. We get together once in awhile, and talk on the phone at least once or twice a week. We've done 2cruises together and have 3 more booked, always separate cabins, but when our schedules don't match I'll go solo, much better than staying home. There are times when it get lonely, but overall I have a great time, and meet some wonderful people.

That is the ideal situation. To have a friend or two that you can cruise with and still have your own cabin and time alone when you want some. It is sometimes lonely to be by yourself when everyone else around you is engaged in conversation. It is usually a temporary situation because most people on a cruise are friendly and will eventually include you. Happy Cruising!

Going through customs:

Agent: How many family members are with you?

Me: 0

Agent: so you went on a cruise all by yourself, no family members or friends?

Me: yes sir. I just wanted some R&R for myself.

Agent: looks through passport to see what stamps are posted. Probably looking for places like Yemen or any country ending in "stan."

Didn't bother me but it was the only moment I had on one trip.

US customs are the worst. Having travelled to South/Central America and Caribbean via plane the worst part is dealing the the US on the return. Colombia, Dominican Republic, Costa Rica etc etc have all been nice a best and professional at worst. Back in the good ole USA a whole different story....:mad:

I was scheduled to go on a 7 day cruise in September, but my travel mates bailed, and I did cancel becuse I was not sure I wanted to do a 7 day solo, but thinking about going on the 5 day to see how I handle it. I figure with 2 of the 5 days in port I would be able to survive.

I have talked my self into it and out of doing a solo many times so far. I am a little of an introvert but also a social butterfly (if that makes sense.)

I am thinking about doing the Carnival Triumph 5 day, but not sure what type of cabin. I alays get a balcony, but thinking either inside or Ocean View. Any suggestions?

After 11 solo cruises, I'm pretty comfy with it overall. Only one really awkward moment comes to mind....

At a trivia event on Radiance of the Seas, for Diamond/Diamond+ members, I showed up alone and the staff member organizing the event suggested I join a group of other ladies sitting together. I walked up to them and found an open chair (there were a few), asked if it was OK to join them, and they said No, that some other friends "may" come and they didn't have the room (there was plenty of room to actually squeeze in one more chair if required). They looked ticked off (and unfriendly in general) so I was not about to argue.

Another table already full of couples was nearby, they saw me standing there looking around for a spot, and quickly said "please join us, we would be glad to make room for you" (reconfirming to me how nice and wonderful the vast majority of cruisers are!).

The event ended up being a lot of fun, and the best part was that my table won 1st prize (a number of the correct answers came from me). It was nice to smile at that other table of ladies as they watched us accept our very nice gifts!

:D Ha! that'll show 'em! :D