Visa points nightmare!

That's the why I understand it as well. Just asked a question on a new thread. Would you redeem first and then call or call first? I am getting ready to book a free 4 days cruise for 2 and want today's rate in there. the cruise is not until next year so if they wait a month to apply it my value could be less. We are staying in a balcony Thanks Bob!!!
This is what I did. First I picked my cabin and put my cruise. I then called 1-888-305-4626 and told them I wanted to redeem points and had a cruise on hold. The CSR was able to do both the booking and the redemption. I had to pay in full but was told that i would receive a $XXX credit on my credit card.

I'm planning on redeeming my points for OBC for a cruise in February on Quantum. Since weather that time of year can be ify...what happens to the OBC if we're not able to make the cruise due to weather related issues?

If the cruise cancels, you will lose your points redemption. The only way I know of to avoid losing the OBC is to transfer it to another booking before the original one cancels. It's possible that travel insurance might cover it, but you would have to check with the insurance company.

Edited by clarea

If the cruise cancels, you will lose your points redemption. The only way I know of to avoid losing the OBC is to transfer it to another booking before the original one cancels. It's possible that travel insurance might cover it, but you would have to check with the insurance company.
Travel Insurance will not cover a free or companion fare award. I doubt it would cover OBC but do not know for sure.

I've booked through an online TA. I know I can't make a payment directly to RC, but can I cash in some points to go towards payment of the trip without involving the TA?

If you cash in points to go towards the payment of the trip, let me know if it effects any discounts you got on the cruise.

I booked during the BOGOHO sale and was told if I redeemed points to go towards payment of the trip that I would not get the discounted rate of the sale. I would get the regular rack rate. This would have been $400 higher just to get $750 off. Instead was advised to take $750 in OBC and then anything I don't use will be credited back to my card.

Just wondered if this is actually so?? Has anyone tried to combine the sale price AND points for money off???

Also going to watch if the prices come down. If they come to close to were the price equals what we paid, I still me try for the points off.

And also going to change to using a different credit card for perks. Have loved my BOA card the last 8 years and love getting money off cruises, but just to many changes. Think I will go with the Southwest card and just accumulate $$$ for flights TO the cruises!!!

If you cash in points to go towards the payment of the trip, let me know if it effects any discounts you got on the cruise.

I booked during the BOGOHO sale and was told if I redeemed points to go towards payment of the trip that I would not get the discounted rate of the sale. I would get the regular rack rate. This would have been $400 higher just to get $750 off. Instead was advised to take $750 in OBC and then anything I don't use will be credited back to my card.

Just wondered if this is actually so?? Has anyone tried to combine the sale price AND points for money off???

Also going to watch if the prices come down. If they come to close to were the price equals what we paid, I still me try for the points off.

And also going to change to using a different credit card for perks. Have loved my BOA card the last 8 years and love getting money off cruises, but just to many changes. Think I will go with the Southwest card and just accumulate $$$ for flights TO the cruises!!!

I believe it is true. Royal recently added restrictions to the use of several awards, such as free cruise, companion fare, etc. OBC from Visa points is about the only redemption left that is combinable with other discounts.

Edited by clarea

I was also told the same thing. Only OBC on any BOGOHO bookings.

I am also changing cards. Like you said there are too many changes. We got a Barclay card that gives 2% on any travel purchases and you can redeem it for travel statement credit

Edited by molly361

I too have dumped the RC visa after 10 years. Point redemption values continue to fall. Barclays Arrival Mastercard not only gives you 2 points per dollar, but on redemption for travel, returns 10% of what you redeem. Redeem 50,000 points, get 5000 points back, net point cost is 45000. You just charge for any travel item on your card, then apply points online to pay off the charge. Awesome!

You can cash in points for a discount by using the redeption website. However, Royal will contact the TA for approval before the applying the discount.

If you cash in points for OBC, then the TA is not involved at all.

Correct. Cashing points for OBC doesn't affect the TA's commission so they are not involved, you can do it online. Applying points for a free or reduced rate cruise does affect TA's commission so the TA must approve, usually involves a phone call between TA and Royal Caribbean.

I believe it is true. Royal recently added restrictions to the use of several awards, such as free cruise, companion fare, etc. OBC from Visa points is about the only redemption left that is combinable with other discounts.
They did allow me to keep $25.00 OBC from the weekend WOW using a companion fare. However they took away the senior discount.

They did allow me to keep $25.00 OBC from the weekend WOW using a companion fare. However they took away the senior discount.

That's right, I had forgotten that they also take away the special rates (Senior, Residence, Military, etc.) with those redemptions.

Bob I was able to use points to reduce the cost of the cruise. Like the OBC this still has not changed very much. The only things that you cant combine, with more or less anything, are the free cruises/companion fair. You can only add OBC from points with these redemption.

Bob I was able to use points to reduce the cost of the cruise. Like the OBC this still has not changed very much. The only things that you cant combine, with more or less anything, are the free cruises/companion fair. You can only add OBC from points with these redemption.

Did your cruise have any kind of C&A discount? I thought there was a restriction on things like the balcony discount.

And was it during the BOGOHO sale??

I too have dumped the RC visa after 10 years. Point redemption values continue to fall. Barclays Arrival Mastercard not only gives you 2 points per dollar, but on redemption for travel, returns 10% of what you redeem. Redeem 50,000 points, get 5000 points back, net point cost is 45000. You just charge for any travel item on your card, then apply points online to pay off the charge. Awesome!

I used to love my RCI Visa card, but was upset when the changes caught me 1,000 points short of being able to redeem under the old program. I used it to bring my points up to 25,009, eventually redeemed (most of) them for an outside cabin instead of the balcony I had planned on, and quit using it. I was just approved for the BarclarCard Arrival Plus MC and am anxiously checking the mailbox daily so I can get started on that rewards program.