What is Blu Please

canary1902

Please could someone tell me what "Blu" is as I have come across it several times reading the threads. Thank you

Blu is the assigned restaurant for those with Aqua Class cabins. It replaces the MDR for those cabins although suite passengers may eat there if space is available. It is open for breakfast and lunch. Most people like Blu but there are some who do not. The menu is seperate from the dining room and they specialize in healthier options, usually lighter sauces, etc. Here's a description from Celebrity's website.

Blu. As an AquaClass® guest, you can enjoy Blu, your own exclusive restaurant for breakfast and dinner. If the concept of "spa restaurant" causes you or your significant other to think you'll never see a steak or a rich dessert on the menu, that is definitely not the case. The cuisine at Blu is simply an imaginative way of preparing popular dishes without fussiness or pretense. Tender steak is served with a flavorful truffle vinaigrette instead of a heavy béarnaise. We call it "clean cuisine."

We just returned from our first cruise in Aqua Class (and first on Celebrity), and we LOVED Blu! I don't think I could get my DH to ever cruise any other way! I was worried beforehand because I looked at a couple of their menus, and they sounded very gourmet, of which DH is not a fan. However, from the first meal we had there, DH and I both agreed it was wonderful. The staff in Blue were so friendly and accommodatiing, and the the food was delicious and creative. I cannot say enough good things about it. We also enjoyed all the other ammenities which go along with Aqua Class.

We were in AQ class and ate in Blu two days. I then asked to be switched to the MDR because I was not satisfied with the food. The service was excellent! The food was bland and flavorless and "unusual". If you are not a gourmet person, you may not enjoy it.

Regarding being "healthier and lighter".... we switched to the MDR and ate there every night... we only gained three pounds in 14 days! Not bad, huh? I think we had the healthier and lighter meals.... or we just know how to choose wisely.

We were around many other AQ class passengers, and quite a few mentioned they would enjoy the MDR more and Blu was quite bland and tasteless. I think Celebrity should make it an "option" when you book an AQ room.... IMHO.

I have to say something about the BLU, I was afraid that my husband would not like it,, he loves everything fried, heavy sauces, spicy food, and his belt size approves it,, well it turned out he will not even talked to me about going on Celebrity unless I book him in Aqua class, go figure it was me that was looking for the bake potatoes, and the lobster and fried foods.

Breakfast is to die for.

service is unheard of.

His only complaint was they were not open for lunch..

• 3 weeks later...

We're sailing on the Silhouette in early March with 2 other couples. They are in Aqua Class and we are not.

The idea of "Clean Cuisine" doesn't excite me (I like Dirty Cuisine), but I was wondering if there is any way we may be able to join them for a meal or two in Blu if we paid to do so?

From speaking with them they seem to indicate that they would rather eat in the main dining room anyways for most meals and would probably not be using Blu that much.

We're sailing on the Silhouette in early March with 2 other couples. They are in Aqua Class and we are not.

The idea of "Clean Cuisine" doesn't excite me (I like Dirty Cuisine), but I was wondering if there is any way we may be able to join them for a meal or two in Blu if we paid to do so?

From speaking with them they seem to indicate that they would rather eat in the main dining room anyways for most meals and would probably not be using Blu that much.

You can eat with them in the main dining room or in other

pay restaurants but they won't be able to dine in Blu.

The MDR is a large area that serves a lot of diners. The food is more banquet style because of the large quantities being served. Blu is a little more intimate, with no reserved dining time. Most tables are for two but they are close enough to chat with your neighbors if you desire. The food is usually more individually made. It is like a compromise between the MDR and the Specialty restuarants. It is usually a little quieter but as passengers get aquainted during the cruise it gets a little noisier.

It is promoted as healthier and I think it is because the sauces are not as creamy, and the vegetables are usually steamed. Not many fried or deep fried items. There is usually a choice of seafood, beef, pork, poultry, lamb, pasta, and vegan.

I found the portions to be more than enough and the food good. You can always order more. Never left hungry and most times left the desert.

It seems as if the some of the same MDR entrees are also served in the buffet if you feel as if you missed something from there. Always stopped in to see if there was anything interesting and usually walked out with only a coffee.

Breakfast menu is the same every day but there are enough options to where you could have something different every day and not get bored.

Thanks for the replies folks.

We're doing the "select" dining for the MDR anyway, so if the other 4 join us in there it would be much easier to do than if we had a set dining time at the same table night after night.

Archived