Buying wine in Venice

sweetpea222

Can anyone tell me how much a bottle of chianti will cost in Venice? We're sailing on NCL next July, and would like to take 2 or 3 bottles with us. I checked NCL's website, and a bottle of Grabbiano Chianti (which I have bought before and liked) is $29 I believe. Considering the $15 corkage fee, is it worth it to buy the bottle on shore or just purchase it on the ship?

Plus, the cost for this wine by the glass is $7. Can anyone tell me how many ounces that glass would be?

I usually buy wine in the MDR but bring a few bottles on board to drink in my cabin. In Venice there is a COOP (grocery store) that sells wine and liquor not too far from the People Mover that takes you to the port. Their Italian wines are very reasonable though maybe not labels you are used to seeing, ranging from under 5 euros to around 20 euros for the really good stuff.

Thank you! I'm not a wine snob, I'll drink the average stuff. If we can get a bottle of decent stuff (red) that works out to less when you include the $15 corkage fee, well I'll be pleased. I love having a glass before dinner, while getting ready. :D

Any suggestions on what to buy? I will not have a clue.

Just go in the above mentioned store. Tell them what you want .A nice local reasonably priced Chianti. They know their stock and will speak English.

You can get a nice, reasonably priced local red in Venice, or a nice, reasonably priced Chianti. :) Chianti is produced in the Chianti region of Tuscany, and other reds such as Valpolicella are produced in the Venetzie. Staff in an enoteca can recommend some lovely local reds for you, if you wish to try them.

• 2 weeks later...
I like white wine. Do they have locally produced whites?

These are not necessarily local to Venice, but it's a good primer on some of the most well-known Italian white wines:

Pinot Grigio - This light, dry white is the most well-known Italian white. It goes well with simply grilled fish, salads, and seafood. (One of my favorites....)

Soave - Close cousin to Pinot Grigio, Soave is Italy's best-selling white wine. Best consumed young, or more than 3 years from vintage.

Gavi - Very dry, delicate wine with pronounced acidity, it is the perfect accompaniment to fish.

Orvieto - This white has been made in Umbria in the same way since Roman times. More earthy than the above-mentioned northern wines. Very affordable, Orvieto goes well with simply grilled chicken or unadorned fish.

Verdicchio - Light, dry wine that is capable of aging, but it has a fruity freshness when drunk young. Totally dry, relatively inexpensive, this wine has a very good affinity with seafood and fish.

Arneis - Its name means "rascal" in local dialect. Light and easy to drink, great with salads, prosciutto and melon. Refreshing as an "aperitivo" at the start of a meal. Medium dry with a rich texture.

Chardonnay - In general, Italy's great Chardonnays are leaner and crisper than those made in other countries. Italian Chardonnay pairs well with lobster, crabmeat, and cream sauces.

Venice, as pointed out already, is known for Prosecco, a light sparkling wine. If you want to delve more into the regional specialties of the Veneto (the region of which Venice is part), here's a list of wines, organized by whites, reds, and rose:

http://winecountry.it/regions/veneto/winelist.php

Just go in the above mentioned store. Tell them what you want .A nice local reasonably priced Chianti. They know their stock and will speak English.

Do they sell liquor in this store or where can you buy liquor in Venice?

If you do like white wine, try a bottle of Friulano, from the Adriatic region north of Venice.

One of my favorite reds is "Insoglio del Cinghiale", a Toscana. I'm a sucker for reds that have the blackberry tones! The price in the US was around $30.

The COOP stores are good for picking up everything. You can also run into little wine shops as you wander the walkways in Venice. Go ahead, stop in. You might find a little treasure!!!

Is the COOP the place relatively close to the people mover? I remember reading something about a place there to buy wine. I am thinking it will make more sense to get checked into the ship as early as possible, and then head back out to pick up our wine and any other essentials, since our ship doesn't leave until 1 am.

The corkage fee on NCL is $15 per bottle. I wanted to have something available in our cabin, since I mostly like to have a glass before dinner, while getting ready. :D If the price of the wine is really reasonable and you factor in the corkage fee, it makes sense to bring your own on board if it works out better financially than buying wine on board.

But I imagine NCL has thought of this, and probably has some less expensive offerings on the ship, so will have to check that out.

Thanks again!

Archived