Cartagena Currency Question

sugarsnap1981

Technically this is a port of call question...

But to sanwer, US Dollars and CCs will be fine at most if not all vendors. You may get local change back..

I'm trying to determine if I will need to bring along local currency while at port in Cartagena. What are your experiences paying with USD or should I bring local currency?

Thanks!

I was there last Nov. Only bought one thing at the Las Bovedas shopping area but US currency was welcome there. I expect it will be anywhere tourist do any shopping.

One thing though. Be careful of the street vendors. They will not be threatening to you but they are not shy and will not back off. You will have anything from tablecloths to t-shirts constantly thrust at you. When you say "No thanks" they will step away for a second then come right back. It's safe...but smothering.

Right. I've been there twice and used US$ or CC both times. Don't buy anything from the street vendors. It's junk.

We always use US dollars. We also only use taxis but you must bargain with them to

obtain the best price. For a five hour stop it is not worth buying local currency.

Greg

One thing though. Be careful of the street vendors. They will not be threatening to you but they are not shy and will not back off. You will have anything from tablecloths to t-shirts constantly thrust at you. When you say "No thanks" they will step away for a second then come right back. It's safe...but smothering.

One amusing thing I noted on our last stop there - while on the old city walking tour, the same vendors were at each stop we made. They got there ahead of us.

Art

Archived