NCL isn't safe for kids!

Rzelden

This is so black and white to me. NCL accepted the child into its program. They should, at the very least, keep the child in the program and safe.

Period.

This makes me think long and hard about kid's clubs, it really does.

I think the OP has every right to try to get NCL to figure out what went wrong and demand an action plan to fix it. We should all want this. I know I do.

• 2 weeks later...

To the OP - I can't even read all 8 pages in one go because some of the responses are so rude. Cruise lines accept special needs kids into their programs and really need to step up and provide the care and security required. My only real suggestion is to maybe avoid the high season. Though we travelled on Carnival in late April and there was not enough kids for both halves of the kids club to be open at certain times of day and my 9 year old hated when the younger kid half. I do wonder about the 12+ group as all children as the kids can come and go as they please. Do they have a protocol for special needs (pre)teens?

I think the bottom line is they accepted the child into the youth program. Their policy is "parents need to give permission for a 10 year old to be allowed to leave club alone. Parents did not give said permission. Child is found in his cabin, with the cabin steward keeping an eye on him. THere are cameras all over the ship, surely there is one by the childrens club area that can be viewed showing how the child left the area. Special needs or not I too would be very upset about this. Does it take child being abused/hurt before some would get upset. I think (could be wrong) if they told the parents exactly what happened after viewing the tapes, then told them the steps it was taking to prevent this from happening in the future, along with the offered credit, this post may not have happened. I have 9 grandkids, from ages 2-19, with one who has Austism, and one who has been an officer of her "Best Buddies" chapter at her high school. Just added that so people understand I do know a little about special needs kids. But in this case, that should not even matter.

I think the bottom line is they accepted the child into the youth program. Their policy is "parents need to give permission for a 10 year old to be allowed to leave club alone. Parents did not give said permission. Child is found in his cabin, with the cabin steward keeping an eye on him. THere are cameras all over the ship, surely there is one by the childrens club area that can be viewed showing how the child left the area. Special needs or not I too would be very upset about this. Does it take child being abused/hurt before some would get upset. I think (could be wrong) if they told the parents exactly what happened after viewing the tapes, then told them the steps it was taking to prevent this from happening in the future, along with the offered credit, this post may not have happened. I have 9 grandkids, from ages 2-19, with one who has Austism, and one who has been an officer of her "Best Buddies" chapter at her high school. Just added that so people understand I do know a little about special needs kids. But in this case, that should not even matter.

The cruiseline is not going to show the OP any video evidence of what actually happened unless a court requires them to do so. They offered a settlement attached to a non-disclosure agreement which the OP refused to sign. No conversation is going to happen between anyone other than lawyers on both sides at this point.

Did the cruiseline make a mistake? Yes, but they aren't going to admit that until the OP agrees to a settlement and signs a non-disclosure agreement.

I also wouldn't doubt that the OP is now on a no sail list with the cruiseline.

When my dd was 5, we went to pick her up from the children's program and THEY DID NOT KNOW WHERE SHE WAS! It turns out, she had been in the bathroom crying for about 2 hours. Of course, I was extremely upset, but managed to hold myself together enough to talk to the person in charge of the children's program. She was very apologetic and I did not take it any further. The "what if's" are still upsetting even now. This was during a week of low enrollment. I, personally, would never take another NCL cruise again - even if it were given to me free. But even based on our experience, I know that it is our experience and not the norm. We have taken several cruises since then and never had a problem.

Hypothetically, if it had been my typical functioning 10 year old child that I had enrolled in the kids program and did not give her permission to sign herself out, I would trust that the adult leadership of the program enforce that designation. She's 10 -- of COURSE she's going to try to sign herself out. It is the leadership's job to ensure safety and following of the rules set in place by the cruiseline as well as the parents in this case. In other cases, like I don't allow my children to watch SpongeBob, but if SpongeBob was on in the kids' area, I would expect the leadership to change the programming/move my daughter elsewhere. But in the instance of keeping my child in the area with the other children, I think a certain level of expectation of containment is reasonable. Why would anything like a developmental issue even come into the discussion?

On the other hand, if I had contacted the cruise line ahead of time, like the OP did RE: the special needs AND informed the staff in the kids' area upon arrival AND the child had been to the kids' area numerous times before with no complaints/problems/issues, then I (and the OP) had every reasonable expectation that the same care and security would happen this time as well. It did not -- the OP is outraged. As they should be. The cruise line was not empathetic or apologetic in ANY way. Several have asked what the OP wants as an outcome -- not to be made whole monetarily. They want the situation acknowledged for what it was -- a breach, a mistake, an error. They want the cruise line to recognize that and own up to it. Then assure the passengerss that measures have and will be taken to tighten things up to not have it happen again.

If you went to pick your child up from school at the end of the day and the teacher didn't know where they were and then, after an extensive search, you found your child had just wandered home by themselves -- you would be just as furious, just as outraged with the school as the OP is with the cruise line/kids' program. The kids' program took on the responsibility of the care of the child and in this instance, they failed. Simple as that. Stop trying to make excuses for the cruise line or find extenuating circumstances for the particular cruise/date/situation. There is NO situation where this would EVER be acceptable.

Hypothetically, if it had been my typical functioning 10 year old child that I had enrolled in the kids program and did not give her permission to sign herself out, I would trust that the adult leadership of the program enforce that designation. She's 10 -- of COURSE she's going to try to sign herself out. It is the leadership's job to ensure safety and following of the rules set in place by the cruiseline as well as the parents in this case. In other cases, like I don't allow my children to watch SpongeBob, but if SpongeBob was on in the kids' area, I wouldn't expect the leadership to change the programming/move my daughter elsewhere. But in the instance of keeping my child in the area with the other children, I think a certain level of expectation of containment is reasonable. Why would anything like a developmental issue even come into the discussion?

On the other hand, if I had contacted the cruise line ahead of time, like the OP did RE: the special needs AND informed the staff in the kids' area upon arrival AND the child had been to the kids' area numerous times before with no complaints/problems/issues, then I (and the OP) had every reasonable expectation that the same care and security would happen this time as well. It did not -- the OP is outraged. As they should be. The cruise line was not empathetic or apologetic in ANY way. Several have asked what the OP wants as an outcome -- not to be made whole monetarily. They want the situation acknowledged for what it was -- a breach, a mistake, an error. They want the cruise line to recognize that and own up to it. Then assure the passengerss that measures have and will be taken to tighten things up to not have it happen again.

If you went to pick your child up from school at the end of the day and the teacher didn't know where they were and then, after an extensive search, you found your child had just wandered home by themselves -- you would be just as furious, just as outraged with the school as the OP is with the cruise line/kids' program. The kids' program took on the responsibility of the care of the child and in this instance, they failed. Simple as that. Stop trying to make excuses for the cruise line or find extenuating circumstances for the particular cruise/date/situation. There is NO situation where this would EVER be acceptable.

Oops! Sorry about that important typo! :)

I don't know about on a ship, but at least where I work, we are not allowed to tell you what corrective actions we have taken regarding a concern or complaint you have have told us, when it involving our employees. This means perhaps I did just make note of it and really nothing else.... or perhaps I followed up with the employee and issued a document incident to their record, or perhaps I even fired them after investigating the issue. IN all of the above, from nothing to everything, I can not tell you "thank you, we have spoken with ______ and this is what we did.".

At this point it becomes a private employee/employer transaction. You have a right to complain and let your voice be known. You do not have a right to know for certain that the person or persons at the center of the issue have been reprimanded or terminated from employment.

NCL said they have taken corrective measure and I understand everyone wants to know what the measures are, but again, please don't expect NCL give more then that. I have been in places where I have had to cut someone loose when the person complaining just wanted me know.... I have also been where I have done nothing despite the person complaining wanted me to fire everyone involved. Usually it falls somewhere in between but in all cases, all I can tell the complaining person is that we are following up on the issue. Anything more and the employee I am following up with would have a case against the company.

That all said, NCL might need to do more. Maybe they don't want money back, but a personal call from a high ranking official within NCL, assuring them that the matter is being followed up on might go a long way. We've definitely done that in my line of work. We also sometimes don't give them back the money, after all they were clear they wanted corrective action. But we do invite them back on our dime so they can experience our brand at we intented it to be.

This is my first post, but I feel it necessary to warn parents about my experience on NCL with my 10 year old son with Autism. On the last night of our cruise on the Epic over this past Thanksgiving, we took our 3 boys to the kids club, so my wife and I could have a quiet relaxing dinner. Upon returning to our cabin after dinner, we found our stateroom attendant standing in the hallway outside our cabin, motioning for us to look inside our cabin. Believe it or not, we found our 10 year old son with Autism sitting on the bed playing with an iPad. The stateroom attendant told us that Ben, walked into the room while it was being cleaned, and that he had been there for about 30 minutes. Thank goodness for Jose, the stateroom attendant. If hadn't been there, who knows where Ben could have wandered off to. The kids club is on deck 14 and our cabin was on deck 11 at opposite ends of the ship. I immediately ran up to the kids club and demanded to speak to someone in charge. Of course, they had no idea that my son was missing. Basically, they apologized and explained that they had no idea how he was able to leave their care. What a crock! That's all I got from them was an apology, not, is he ok? Are we ok?, just an oops, we're sorry, this has never happened before. When we returned home, I sent a letter to customer relations asking for an explanation. It took over 4 weeks for them to respond, and again, no explanation. What they did do is offer us a future cruise credit of $1500 as an apology, if, and only if we were willing to sign a disclosure to keep our mouths shut. Well, obviously I'm not keeping quiet. We have given NCL ample time to own up to what they allowed to happen, and still haven't done so, so I am here to warn all parents that I don't believe that NCL has our children's safety as a major priority. Mind you, they never called security when I told them what happened. The stateroom attendant called his boss to report my son being there, but again, he was just told to watch him and security wasn't called. I'm disgusted by NCL's lack of accepting responsibility for losing my son. I guess because he wasn't hurt, they don't care enough. I guess it will take a child being injured, or worse, falling over board or being molested for them to care. I will never travel with NCL again and I hope my letter will help other parents make the same decision. NCL isn't safe. NCL doesn't care. I hope this helps others to make responsible decisions about choosing a cruise line.

That sounds absolutely awful. I am so sorry that you went through that. My son also has special needs, although very different from your son and he is much younger. My son is two and has a heart/lung condition and gastro intestinal feeding tube. We are cruising this time around knowing he "could" stay in the camp care they offer. But I just don't know if I feel comfortable with it. Not at all criticizing your decision, just wondering, was it hard for your to decide allowing him to go? I feel like I would have no fun wondering if he is truly being "cared" for. Keep announcing, I would too.

• 2 months later...

A special needs cruise might be a better fit next time, or bringing along a safe family member to watch your kid instead of trying to conform him. He clearly was confused and staff aren't always trained to special needs- ESP the Houdini type. He's probably the only kid who has ever escaped. Self reflection is key here. Most 10 year olds know to stay put. Common sense.

A special needs cruise might be a better fit next time, or bringing along a safe family member to watch your kid instead of trying to conform him. He clearly was confused and staff aren't always trained to special needs- ESP the Houdini type. He's probably the only kid who has ever escaped. Self reflection is key here. Most 10 year olds know to stay put. Common sense.

Seems like an awful lot of effort to troll this forum with an unpopular statement.

A special needs cruise?

"trying to conform" a child?

One of my kids is legally blind... Juvenile macular degeneration. He's an 8th grade honor student.

There are laws that protect the rights of people with disabilities... Whether they are physical or cognitive. The Americans with Disabilities Act was passed to ensure those rights are protected.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion. The OP had a terrible experience with NCL's program. It is the counselors' responsibility to guarantee that our children are safe and well accounted for when in the Kid's Club. The staff was informed that the OP's child had special needs. They accepted the responsibility, and failed to do their job.

If they had issues, they could have contacted the OP.

Instead, they allowed a child with a cognitive disability to walk out of the program. If a child with a cognitive disability could just walk out, what about any other kid who had the gumption to do so?

It bothers me... but since I don't troll the boards, it hasn't bothered me since early March 2013. It's May now... this horse has been beaten already.

My apologies to the OP. I'd be furious if my kid wondered off. If you leave them at the kids club and they aren't able to check themselves out then you expect them to still be there when you return.

I've sailed the Epic and I looked at my pics of the 9-12 kids club. The video game area with all the TV screens has an exit door in the back. I'm wondering if that could have been the way out.

I don't know why they couldn't offer up some sort of explanation? With all the cameras on the ship they should have been able to determine whether their son left with a group (wondered off afterwards) or exited the front area.

This could have happened to anyone's child.

Archived