Kobe beef burger?

kimanjo

If I look at the current O information on it's web-site the sample menu for Waves Grill shows a Black Angus Burger.

Was I dreaming, or did previous passengers talk about the Kobe burger???

I think it's only on the O ships, or in Polo in the R ships, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong. It's Wagyu beef.

If I look at the current O information on it's web-site the sample menu for Waves Grill shows a Black Angus Burger.

Was I dreaming, or did previous passengers talk about the Kobe burger???

You weren't dreaming, but if Waves is now serving a Black Angus Burger you will not feel the least bit deprived. The reason to eat Kobe beef is to experience the remarkably tender meat that results from Kobe beef's high fat content. And for that experience, you'll need to eat a solid piece of Kobe meat. Chopping the meat for hamburger eliminates any need for the higher-priced Kobe meat.

I think probably the reason the web site does not mention it at Waves is because it's only available on Marina and Riviera, not on Regatta or Nautica (yet, anyway). I have not tried the Polo offering.

There are many different grades of Kobe beef (and Wagyu beef; the two are often used interchangeably although that's not technically correct). Wagyu is the type of cattle (like angus or hereford). Kobe is the type of finishing the cattle used in Kobe, Japan (there are other types of finishing of Wagyu beef in other parts of Japan). Kobe is graded 1 through 12. Grade 10 (the highest, I think, generally available) is used in the Connoisseur Menu in LaReserve). Wagyu beef is raised in America, but is often finished differently than Kobe. Genetically, each generation of American Wagyu is closer to the Japanese standard (they were initially cross-bred with Long Horns).

I've had the solid Kobe beef in LaReserve and it's exquisite; no comparison to the Wagyu beef served in the other restaurants. Regent uses ground Wagyu beef sliders as an amuse-bouche in Prime 7, their version of Polo. They also have an entree of Wagyu beef that is also ground; it's very fine, almost a pate'.

The so-called Kobe burger in Waves is most likely actually course ground American Wagyu. It's delicious, but nothing like the "real thing". I actually prefer the Angus burger, but my real favorite is the Texas burger.

I'm certainly not a burger expert, but I am an aficionado.

Edited by hondorner

As Don mentioned, it is indeed Wagyu for the "Kobe burger" and not the actual "Kobe" beef...see attached photo of the Waves menu (circa Oct 2011). It clearly states Waygu. Kobe burger is just the "name" of the burger... :p

waves_2.jpg.2d59e7b6b7308d5442e1d09b48fd0bd3.jpg

Edited by ipoh
uploading snippet of photo

I understand the difference in type, but I am still wondering if it is not offered anymore.

If you click on Riviera, for example, on the O web site, and dining, then menu for Waves, it now just says Black Angus, no more "Kobe/Waygu Burger".

Chances are it is no longer available...as stated my photo was circa Oct 2011...;)

As mentioned by someone earlier in another thread, the "Surf 'n Turf" sandwich had also been "discontinued"...so there were some changes to the Waves menu for sure.

In post #9 OZABROAD noted it was on the Waves menu still

Maybe someone on a current cruise can comment

Maybe.... No problem. Just noticed the difference on the web site, and got me wondering if that was part of the new menu changes?

Maybe.... No problem. Just noticed the difference on the web site, and got me wondering if that was part of the new menu changes?

There are a lot of things on the website that need attention :D

Does anyone know if you can order your burger cooked to your liking ? I like mine rare, not raw but have never been on any ship that would cook to order.

They will not cook burgers rare ...they do have a sign up at Waves about cooking the burgers so they are done

steaks I am sure you could get rare;)

As mentioned by someone earlier in another thread, the "Surf 'n Turf" sandwich had also been "discontinued"...so there were some changes to the Waves menu for sure.

I am sure this was mentioned last year. On Marina in October Surf n Turf sandwich was definitely available (Lobster tail & Filet).

I seem to remember FDR replied last year that is was avaible and there were no plans to remove it from the menu. However, let's see if anyone currently onboard has up to date info.

I am sure this was mentioned last year. On Marina in October Surf n Turf sandwich was definitely available (Lobster tail & Filet).

I seem to remember FDR replied last year that is was avaible and there were no plans to remove it from the menu. However, let's see if anyone currently onboard has up to date info.

Let's hope so...it is one of our favourite quick lunches...:D

Edited by ipoh
edit quotation

Looks like the Kobe & Wagyu are in Polo on the O class ships

I thought they always had Black angus beef in Waves :confused:

Kobe and Wagyu are used to describe American beef. Kobe from Japan is terribly overpriced and is no longer available here.

Both Kobe and Wagyu are raised in Colorado, and I doubt that the average diner could tell the difference in either taste or tenderness. Both are excellent but each comes from a different ranch or supplier.

Black Angus is actually a breed of cattle, and is raised throughout the country, and what difference is noted is how it is rated by the USDA. The most tender is "prime" which is generally available only to restaurants and cruise lines. Next is the grade which we usually see in our markets, followed by cheaper grades, usually given "special" worded grades by each market.

Edited by Rickey 88

Just off Riviera and The Waves has Kobe burgers topped with a black truffle sauce. Wonderful! Then I found a Kobe burger on the Polo Grill menu which was served with a thick slice of Foie Gras on top. It's hard to beat the food on board that ship.

• 1 year later...
They will not cook burgers rare ...they do have a sign up at Waves about cooking the burgers so they are done

steaks I am sure you could get rare;)

We were on the Regatta twice first time in 2007 & again in 2011 & were able to get a burger Med-Rare (pink).. It was wonderful! :D

Have they now done away with Med-Rare burgers?:(

There is a big discussion on the HAL board about their new burgers

Let's hope so...it is one of our favourite quick lunches...:D

We were on Regatta in February and Waves offered both the Kobe and the Surf & Turf ( at least from the menu's in the cabanas ). I had the Kobe once and wasn't impressed but the surf & turf was incredible.