What are your MUST DOs on Bermuda?

samzgirl84

Good food and nightlife are the things my DH and I really enjoy while on vacation, so here are some of my MUST-DOS:

Harbour Nights Festival in Hamilton. It is held every Wednesday night from May through September on Front Street. The street is closed off to traffic and vendors set up tables all around. It starts off with a parade and then a band plays through the evening. It was a lot of fun.

Just about every night you can find music and live entertainment at the bars and restaurants all over the island. Just google "Bermuda Nightlife" and you get a whole list. We especially enjoyed the open mic night at the Hog Penny (every Thursday night beginning at 10:00). The Hog Penny is known for being the inspiration for the bar on Cheers.

The open air patio at Rumbar at the Victoria Grill. We were there on a Saturday night, and they had a band with dancing. Open flame heaters all around.

Hanging out at the Jasmine Lounge at the Fairmont Southampton.

For something a little more reserved, the Hamilton Princess Hotel offers afternoon tea.

We are long time Bermuda visitors, and we always recommend doing a taxi tour, of a minimum of 3-4 hours. It will give you, especially first timers, a wonderful overview, especially important for the short visit. It will run about $45. Per hour...but the cabs hold 6, so perhaps you can share. The tour cab drivers love to show off their beautiful island. Take note of areas you would like to revisit another time. Don't worry if you don't have time on this trip...we can almost guarantee a return :)

Enjoy...happy planning, it is half the fun!!! :D

P.S....I believe it's really called The DUNKING Stool!!

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhhh, reading these posts get me so excited for our third trip to Bermuda which will be this Summer. :D

I have to reiterate that the south shore beaches are beautiful, St. George is such a nice little town to shop and look around (I LOVE the Bermuda Perfumery, as I feel that they have fragrances that can compete quite well against any of your well-known names -- even the French ones :p), Flatt's Village, definitely the Swizzle Inn. There's just too much to see, too many beaches to explore, and too little time. Bermuda is just such a special place! I guess that's why we keep going back. :) Enjoy!

Ahhhh, reading these posts get me so excited for our third trip to Bermuda which will be this Summer. :D

I have to reiterate that the south shore beaches are beautiful, St. George is such a nice little town to shop and look around (I LOVE the Bermuda Perfumery, as I feel that they have fragrances that can compete quite well against any of your well-known names -- even the French ones :p), Flatt's Village, definitely the Swizzle Inn. There's just too much to see, too many beaches to explore, and too little time. Bermuda is just such a special place! I guess that's why we keep going back. :) Enjoy!

I'm thinking of taking a boat excursion that brings you to Flatts Village and the Aquarium. Is there anything else to see in Flatts Village?

We will be there on the Breakaway in August and we can't wait! We have only been once before and it was just a day on a cruise out of NY....so we are very excited to return and have 3 days!!!

We would really like to do some snorkeling....maybe a private charter...a boat that can take 8-10 people....any ideas?

Also...beaches for snorkeling. I think I read Tobacco Bay....is this the best for off the beach snorkeling?

Also....any thing that is unique to the island that we should look for to buy and bring home?

Thanks for any info you can give about how to spend our time!!!

I'm thinking of taking a boat excursion that brings you to Flatts Village and the Aquarium. Is there anything else to see in Flatts Village?

Unless something else has popped up in Flatts Village that I am unaware of, the aquarium and National zoo were the main things there, and it's a nice little attraction--definitely worth a visit. Flatts Village is just so picturesque. Just to walk around and see the boats tied up in the little harbor is definitely a photo op. The water is so clear that you can see the bottom. It's really a charming little area. Enjoy! :)

Melinda

We did a private taxi tour of the island (Bermuda has taxi driver tour guides certified by the government, who do a fantastic job of showing you the sites on their beautiful island). We also snorkeled over old shipwrecks...REALLY cool!

Moobear, do you remember where you snorkeled over the shipwrecks? was it on an excursion?

• 3 weeks later...
I see no one mentioned the caves... are they not a must do? Ive been to Bermuda 5xs...have never been to the caves or St George...are they close enough to do in 1 day?

JMHO, but if you've recently visited caves in the States, it is not a must do; otherwise, I would say "yes". St George is a must do. You could easily do both in one day specially if you're willing to get an early start.

SBtS

We spent three days in Bermuda last October and packed as much as we could into each day. Favorites:

#1-Snorkeling at Tobacco Bay

P1070112.jpg

P1070147.jpg

P1070154.jpg

#2-The most beautiful walk from Horseshoe Bay to Warwick Long Bay, with a wonderful refreshing dip in Jobson's Cove.

P1060935.jpg

P1060999.jpg

IMG_5097.jpg

Other things that we also did:

-Pirate's Sunset Cruise

-Had Dark and Stormy's at White Horse Tavern

-Walked around Hamilton

-Took the ferry to St George

-Snorkeled at Church Bay

-Picked up sea glass at Seaglass Beach

You can read about the details of our Bermuda Cruise and see lots of photos in my cruise review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1728780

My DD and I were in Bermuda in 2011 and sailed out of NY on Oct. 30. We were in Bermuda the first three days of November and the water was wonderful. The humidity was down and the temps were around 80 every day. Can't say about the end of November but the beginning was great.

One thing we always do is climb Gibbs Lighthouse. Great views from up on top

• 2 months later...
We spent three days in Bermuda last October and packed as much as we could into each day. Favorites:

#1-Snorkeling at Tobacco Bay

P1070112.jpg

P1070147.jpg

P1070154.jpg

#2-The most beautiful walk from Horseshoe Bay to Warwick Long Bay, with a wonderful refreshing dip in Jobson's Cove.

P1060935.jpg

P1060999.jpg

IMG_5097.jpg

-Pirate's Sunset Cruise

-Walked around Hamilton

-Snorkeled at Church Bay

You can read about the details of our Bermuda Cruise and see lots of photos in my cruise review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1728780

Just read your Explorer review and it was great!! Your pictures were beautiful and thank you for confirming that Tobacco Bay DOES NOT have rentals in October and snack bar is also closed during that time. I have been looking all over for this. We are doing the same cruise on October 6th (same time as you did last year). I'm just PRAYING that we get good weather. So sorry yours wasn't so great.

Horseshoe bay is a beautiful pink sand beach

BUT best experience was the glass beach. We have never ever seen anything like it. Take the number 7 or 8 bus 3 (?) stops. Just tell the driver where you want to go and they will point you to it. Some people say it is walk-able but I think the walk is very dangerous due to no sidewalks and hilly blind curve areas.

MOST UNBELIEVABLE thing we ever seen, def worth the trip

Safe sailing

-Pirate's Sunset Cruise

-Walked around Hamilton

-Snorkeled at Church Bay

[COLOR=blue]I hope you didn't keep the sea glass and only picked it up and put it back. There are signs all over the place saying NOT to take the sea glass. If I knew how to upload the photo I took of the sign I would. The people of Bermuda use this sea glass to make and sell items which helps with their income.

[/color]

Also the glass at the beach had little buggy things under them. Leave the glass buy a bag in the clocktower mall.. the proceeds go to a childrens group on the island. That's what we did

Safe sailing

Archived