Our Top 10 activities/attractions/excursions

Darthdaddy

Aloha…

My family of 7 recently returned from 2 weeks in Hawaii. Our first week was spent at Disney’s Aulani at Ko Olina west of Honolulu on Oahu. Week 2 was a cruise aboard NCL’s Pride of America.

Like many CC members, my pre-cruise research and preparation can border on obsession and neurosis, but what can I say…I have a good time! Our group spans nearly 40 years. Some are more “outdoorsy” than others. Some are strong swimmers, while others are not. Some want to lie on a beach and others want to hike through the jungle. In other words, like most families we try to balance a range of interests and abilities.

Upon completion of our vacation, each of us ranked the various activities, attractions and excursions which we experienced. Some activities were modestly priced, while others were costly. Our rankings are NOT based on cost, but rather a simple assessment of which things would “make the cut” if time, rather than money, was the primary consideration.

Some preliminary comments outside our faux-official rankings…

First: Pearl Harbor. What is commonly referred to as “Pearl Harbor” is really a combination of attractions located in close proximity. The USS Arizona Memorial is the most famous, but the USS Missouri, USS Bowfin and the Pacific Aviation Museum are there, as well. In addition, there are museums, films, displays and artifacts that will add to your understanding of events before and after 12/7/41. I found the Arizona Memorial and the Pacific Aviation Museum disappointing, but was fascinated by the films and displays that are available. Others will surely disagree. Overall, this is an inexpensive, yet priceless, day.

This is definitely NOT a theme park. While not grim, there is a solemnity that is palpable. It provides a direct link to the sacrifices that were made by so many. I cannot imagine visiting Hawaii without experiencing Pearl Harbor. For this reason, I arbitrarily removed the Pearl Harbor attractions from the rankings. They are in a not-to-be-missed category of their own.

Second: Kona. Even though we did no excursions or special activity during our day in Kona, we all agreed that this was a fun time. After 3 days of considerable physical activity, a “rest” day was welcome. The small town of Kailua offers a variety of shops, bars, restaurants, etc. Watersports, i.e., stand-up paddleboard, snorkeling, surfing, are available. We watched folks training for the Ironman competition in the small harbor at the heart of town. My wife and daughter got mani/pedi treatments in a great little shop with fresh air and a direct ocean view. Yes, we even bought some coffee at one of the many shops offering famous Kona beans.

Third: Disney’s Aulani. Located approximately 20 miles west of Honolulu in Ko Olina, Disney’s Aulani is a new resort that could be considered an attraction of its own. Disneyphiles will enjoy their fix of “Disney Magic.” Disneyphobes will survive without being overwhelmed by the whole Mickey & Minnie thing. Disney quality is evident in the service, attention to detail, and price. Without “little ones” on this trip, we had no need for the children’s program, but it appeared extensive and well attended. There are plenty of opportunities to have pictures with Disney characters. Still, this ain’t Orlando or Anaheim! The pool and waterpark are lots of fun. The lagoon beckons with a soft sand beach and bar service. Watersports are available without particular danger. You won’t go surfing, but neither will you have to worry about being swept out to sea by rouge waves.

Ko Olina is pretty quiet. Aulani sits between a JW Marriott and a Marriott Vacation Club. Across the street is a golf course and a few modest shops. Paradise Cove is within easy walking distance. “Roy’s” restaurant is the “nice” place, while the Monkeypod has a more amped vibe. If you crave the action of Waikiki, this is not the place for you. However, if you want quiet, high-end accommodations with easy access to the H-1 highway, Aulani may be what you are looking for.

With all that out of the way, here are our cumulative rankings:

#10 North Shore food trucks (Oahu)

# 9 Polynesian Cultural Center (Oahu)

# 8 North Shore beaches (Oahu)

# 7 Molokini snorkel and catamaran (Maui)

# 6 Mt. Haleakala bike trip (Maui)

# 5 Diamond Head hike (Oahu)

# 4 Mt. Kilauea bike trip (Big Island)

# 3 Airplane flight (Kauai)

# 2 Kayak / Zipline / Hike Safari (Kauai)

And our favorite activity (drumroll, please!)

# 1 Hawaii Food Tours “Hole-in-the-Wall” tour (Oahu).

Remember, these are relative rankings of things we actually experienced. None of these things was bad…we enjoyed them all. There may be dozens of other things that we would have enjoyed just as much, but never got to see or do. Had we taken a pre-cruise poll of our expectations, the results would have been vastly different. As it was, the bottom tier was pretty clear. Likewise, a solid consensus formed around the top 3.

I will try to provide a more detailed rationale for each of the attractions in later posts.

Until then, mahalo and aloha.

Thanks so much for this! My Mom-in-law is taking all of us (myself, husband, our two girls, husband's sister, her husband, and their son) to Hawaii Feb 2014. We're doing some time on Oahu and then taking the POA. So looking forward to it!

Again, thanks for your list!

Our Top 10 attractions: # 10

An earlier post laid out my family’s 10 favorite activities / attractions / excursions from our recent 2-week visit to Hawaii. Below is a brief explanation for #10...

#10 North Shore Food Trucks

Among the attractions of Oahu’s North Shore are the food trucks that park along the side of the road---most prominently King Kamehameha Hwy. Having read about these icons of North Shore life, I kept an eye out as we drove from Ko Olina past Haleiwa and Kahuku. Since it was still a bit early for lunch I continued by a number of trucks. In truth, I was trying to figure out if these were really what I was searching for.

These food trucks somewhat resemble ramshackle UPS delivery vans that may have died along the side of the road at least a decade ago. Suddenly I spotted the great white whale…Giovanni’s shrimp truck near Kahuku. The menu is limited, but the portions are sizeable. Our group of 7 shared a couple plates of shrimp scampi and lemon-butter shrimp. None of us stepped up to try the hot & spicy shrimp. Perhaps the anticipation tainted our perception, perhaps not. The food was OK, but hardly worthy of the gushing hype. Bluntly, $13 should buy more than a styrofoam plate of OK food served by indifferent (that’s being kind) workers. As others have commented, the picnic tables are shabby and the restrooms are filthy. It was lunchtime, we were hungry and we were up for the adventure. Still, we agreed that Giovanni’s rated little more than a B-

We also tried garlic hot dogs, shaved ice and smoothies at a couple other trucks. These lacked the “name” of Giovanni’s truck (as witness the fact that I cannot remember their names), but the food and value were superior.

Out Top 10 attractions: Polynesian Cultural Center.

# 9 The Polynesian Cultural Center is located in Laie, Oahu. It is roughly an hour’s drive from Honolulu. Claiming to be Hawaii’s top paid attraction, the PCC seems to offer it all… education, entertainment, culture. On one level, it delivered, but overall it was an unsatisfying experience.

The PCC is basically a theme park presenting a sampler of the cultures of multiple peoples of the south Pacific. Tahiti, Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, Aotearoa (New Zealand) plus Hawaii are each represented through a “village.” Brief demonstrations combined with lectures or other presentations provide a quick look at each culture. There is a “Royal”canoe pageant and a few other things that caught my attention on the glitzy web site. I was enticed and decided to give the PCC a try.

So what’s the problem? We opted for the “Ambassador” package. Among the benefits of this package is a guide. These guides are students at adjacent BYU-Hawaii. Their function is supposed to ease the transition from village to village so as to maximize the number of shows and presentations that can be seen. The unfortunate reality is that our guide added little to our experience. His primary concern was to hustle us from village to village. He disappeared (literally disappeared) while we watched each show. He would then whisk us to the next village with little or no insight or information. Several times we noticed people engaging in activities such as throwing a spear, climbing a palm tree, or even paddling a long canoe. These things looked like fun and we kept thinking that we would get a chance to try our hand. WRONG! It took a while, but we finally figured out that anything that interfered with our guide’s schedule was simply not going to happen. We were actually glad when our frantic “tour” was over and we could go around on our own.

Two major dinner options are offered. One is basically a sit down dinner in a restaurant resembling an island-themed TGIFriday’s. The other option---which we selected--- is a buffet “luau.” The ability to combine a luau with the other parts of PCC was a big part of the decision to go to the PCC. While I suspect none of the many luaus offered throughout the islands would be a big hit with us, I really was not prepared for how bad this one was. Again, “Ambassador” status was advertised as providing better seats for the luau. In reality there is minimal difference. The meal is served buffet style with diners seated at long tables arranged perpendicular to the stage…half the people have their backs to the show! There is an imu oven in which a whole pig is roasted. The “ceremony” of opening the imu is weak…really, really weak. During dinner a lame night club-type act performs. The host is a sort of Polynesian Donnie Osmond. I’m not trying to bash this experience, but the show stinks. What about the food? Well, as Mick Dundee might say, “you can eat it, but it tastes like dung.” That’s a bit harsh…but not much. The pork was OK. The desserts were pretty good. Beyond that, it was less than nondescript. We were aware in advance that no alcohol may be consumed.

Following the luau, we were directed to a large theater for “Ha, Breath of Life.” Once again, our “ambassador” tickets were marketed as affording prime seating. In truth, the seats were excellent. The rest of the story is that all the seats were good. I liked out seats, but don’t think they were worth a premium price. The show itself was entertaining. Some luaus make a big deal out of the fact that they do not include a fire knife dance. This supposedly adds to their “authenticity,” since such a dance is apparently NOT native to the Hawaiian culture. This strikes me as a false argument in that the magic of the Hawaiian culture is the degree to which all the pacific cultures have blended. Authentic or not the fire knife dance was spectacular. I am very glad that we saw a show that included this performance.

The PCC opens at noon. The “Ha, Breath of Life” show extends to 9:00pm. It makes for a long day. The drive back to Honolulu makes it longer, although bus transportation can be arranged to/from the Waikiki district. Our collective opinion is that the PCC offers a taste of many things but all are barely adequate. Paying extra for “ambassador” status was totally unnecessary and probably an overall detriment. I feel sorry for those suckered into paying to be “super ambassadors.” We didn’t hate the PCC (at least we can scratch a luau from our bucket list), but it we wouldn’t miss it either.

I have never been fond of the Polynesian Cultural Center myself. I am not sure how it made your top ten list if you didn't find it really entertaining. Or were you just saying that the Ambassador status wasn't worth the price. Is this something you would recommend to people who are in port for the day (considering the drive out, food, etc)?

Please don't misinterpret my questions. I think you did a remarkable job in describing the places you visited.

Now for the places you need to return to Hawaii for:

Sunrise at Haleakala

A helicopter ride over the lava flow (you were so lucky to have a drive by at night)

A zodiac ride along the Napali Cliffs (you were again so lucky to see this from your ship)

Road to Hana (everyone needs to do this once)

Did you see the turtles (honu) at Laniakea Beach on the North Shore?

Please come back for another visit.

Renee (displaced local girl)

Q: How did PCC make our Top 10?

A: The real Q is why did I choose it as one of our activities during a limited visit.

I was on the fence about visiting PCC for a looong time. Our conclusion was that we SHOULD go to a luau, since it is a classic thing to do for first time visitors. I decidied we would go to a luau during our pre-cruise week (since we had to buy dinner that night anyway!). This narrowed our choices significantly. In the end, I figured we could knock off the luau and combine it with a view of the cultural polyglot, and see a fire sword dance all in one. On top of that we would need to drive to that part of Oahu just once to accomplish all these things. On this basis, I justified the price tag.

After re-reading my description of PCC I realize it was harsh. Please understand that it wasn't terrible. At the same time I would NOT recommend it to a friend. Assuming someone simply had to go to PCC, I would NOT recommend the 'Ambassador" pkg. The added value simply was not there.

Not a bad day, but in hindshight our time (and money) could have been better spent elsewhere.

Q: How did PCC make our Top 10?

A: The real Q is why did I choose it as one of our activities during a limited visit.

I was on the fence about visiting PCC for a looong time. Our conclusion was that we SHOULD go to a luau, since it is a classic thing to do for first time visitors. I decidied we would go to a luau during our pre-cruise week (since we had to buy dinner that night anyway!). This narrowed our choices significantly. In the end, I figured we could knock off the luau and combine it with a view of the cultural polyglot, and see a fire sword dance all in one. On top of that we would need to drive to that part of Oahu just once to accomplish all these things. On this basis, I justified the price tag.

After re-reading my description of PCC I realize it was harsh. Please understand that it wasn't terrible. At the same time I would NOT recommend it to a friend. Assuming someone simply had to go to PCC, I would NOT recommend the 'Ambassador" pkg. The added value simply was not there.

Not a bad day, but in hindshight our time (and money) could have been better spent elsewhere.

Thank you for your nicely written clarification. I, too, try to work around this and suggest other activities (especially to those who are only in port for one day).

A few more things to add to your list of next time you come:

Waipahu Plantation Village.

Bishop Museum

I am very excited about the Aulani coming to Oahu. Is it worth the drive out there to visit and steep parking fee for a day? (Sorry, growing up in Hawaii, far means more than 15 minutes.)

We look forward to another visit from you.

Renee

For those who don't know, there is a $35 parking fee at Disney's Aulani. I believe this fee is waived, if you spend at least that much in one of the on-site restaurants. This is easy to do, because the restaurants are quite pricey. The parking fee is also waived for Disney Vacation Club members.

Shhh, just between us, I wouldn't pay the parking fee to visit. It is possible to park at the little commercial center across the street and simply walk to Aulani...can't be more than 3-5 min. Also, there is public access to the Ko Olina beach with a public parking area near the marina. An attractive walkway connects the marina area to the Marriott and Disney properties. Each of the resort properties has a lagoon for swimming and watersports. It is possible to access the lagoons from the walkway. The resorts restrict use of beach lounges, umbrellas, etc. to their respective guests, however.

It is possible to wander around Aulani and patronize the restaurants, but a wrist band is needed to use the pool / waterpark. You would not be able to view the guest rooms, unless you were willing to take the Vacation Club tour.

Aulani faces west, so the sunsets are nice. The lobby is impressive and you could sit on the large outdoor veranda and enjoy the view. If you want to have dinner overlooking the beach, "Ama, Ama" restaurant might interest you. Without being able to use the pool, slides, hot tubs and water park, you might not have much else to do. Disneyphiles enjoy searching for hidden icons and such. There is a surprising amount of attention paid to Hawaiian / Polynesian artifacts.

We are DVC members, so the decision to stay at Aulani was pretty easy for us.

Thanks for your indepth reviews-I look forward to hearing more about all of them-we will be in Oahu for four days before we get on POA and are looking for things that are not to be missed and your list is helping me narrow that down a bit. Especially when you give your detailed reasons :) One day will be set aside for Pearl Harbor and a portion of another will be spent at a beach but looking for ideas for the remainder of the time-I do believe you have helped me remove PCC from the list as we will be spending a couple of days on Maui and doing either The Feast at Lele or Old Lahaina Luau . Really looking forward to your take on numbers 1,3 and 7-thanks for taking the time to do this~~

Thanks for your indepth reviews-I look forward to hearing more about all of them-we will be in Oahu for four days before we get on POA and are looking for things that are not to be missed and your list is helping me narrow that down a bit. Especially when you give your detailed reasons :) One day will be set aside for Pearl Harbor and a portion of another will be spent at a beach but looking for ideas for the remainder of the time-I do believe you have helped me remove PCC from the list as we will be spending a couple of days on Maui and doing either The Feast at Lele or Old Lahaina Luau . Really looking forward to your take on numbers 1,3 and 7-thanks for taking the time to do this~~

For a small fee, you are able to reserve your Arizona Memorial tickets at

http://www.recreation.gov/tourSearchResult.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=72369

If you pick up a "This Week" or "Oahu" tourist guide at the airport when you arrive in the baggage area, there are coupons for a flight simulator at the Pacific Aviation Museum.

If you like snorkeling, go to Hanauma Bay (closed on Mondays, I think). There is a small fee for this fish reserve. All other beaches in the state are free. Most have free parking. If the winds are calm, Kailua Beach is a good place to swim. It is "next door" to Lanikai Beach (listed as one of the best beaches in the world). Same sand. Depending on the time of the year, there are box jelly fish. Beware of them. Magic Island/Ala Moana Beach Park are very, very, very safe beaches.

Renee

Let me start with some context for our ranking of the North Shore beaches at #8 on our list of Top 10 attractions, activities and excursions.

The day we spent along the stretch encompassing such famous spots as Haleiwa Town, Sunset beach and the Bonsai Pipeline was marginal for passive beach activity. The winds were a bit too high and the temp was a bit too low. Locals and hardcore surfers had no problem with the waves, but things were a little too ambitious for our group.

The beaches themselves surprised us. On one hand, they are pleasantly accessible. Pull to the side of Kamehamehe Hwy, cross the street and let your toes sink in the sand…sounds pretty nice, huh? Coming from the East Coast of U.S., we are used to substantial hikes from central parking lots over large sand dunes and finally across a wide expanse of crowded beach before getting to the water. Advantage: North Shore.

The beaches are also much smaller than we are used to. Cape Cod, Long Island, the Jersey Shore, Delmarva, Outer Banks of NC, Kiawah Island, SC and others feature mile after mile after mile of broad beach. Often the beaches include bands of packed sand which are perfect for bike riding. The North Shore beaches we visited were relatively small; more like the pocket coves found along the south shore of Bermuda. We saw nowhere that would accommodate a bike. The rocks and high surf were great for those familiar with them, but intimidating to those of us who were not.

My initial description of our Top 10 list explained that cost was not a consideration. We tried to rate things based on how much we enjoyed them, as opposed to a cost/benefit analysis. This said, I will admit that our day along the North Shore was cheap…clearly a good thing. Sticker shock was not a factor, as it was with many of our other activities. We were able to see the big surf and can now compare the beaches to what we are familiar with. Still, the day was something of a letdown. We "cut" a visit to Waimea Valley (which is very near by) in order to spend more time along the beaches. I'm not sure we made the better choice.

# 7 on our countdown is the catamaran sailing and snorkel trip we took out of Maalaea harbor on Maui.

This was Day 2 of our stay in Maui as part of our NCL Pride of America cruise. Amid lots of grumbling, we were off the POA by 6:30am in order to catch a taxi (very easy) and drive across the island to Maalaea. At a cost of $40 (incl tip) each way the taxi took about 30 min to traverse the narrow throat of the island. This left plenty of time to locate the slip where our catamaran was located and get checked in by 7:15am. Many sailing/diving tours leave from Maalaea each day. Some of my comments will apply across the board to any excursion in this area, others will be focused on our particular sail aboard the Paragon II.

As advertised, a continental breakfast is provided on the boat. We were pleasantly surprised by the array of pastries, juices and coffee provided. It’s definitely enough to get you going in the morning. The captain (male) and his two gorgeous crew (female) seem to be “livin’ the dream.” They are friendly, attentive and totally competent. All are willing to engage in conversation and provide information about the boat and what we could/would see throughout the day. Most particularly, they were vigilant in whale spotting. Since this was mid-January, we expected to see whales. To our delight, there were many to be enjoyed.

As most are probably aware, Molokini is an old volcanic crater that flooded when a section of the rim collapsed. The allure for us (and others, I’m sure), was the idea of snorkeling within this flooded crater…how cool is that!

The trip out to Molokini takes about an hour. If you haven’t had problems in a boat before, you are unlikely to have them aboard Paragon II. The catamaran is stable and comfortable. Initial winds allowed the captain to kill the engine and run under full sail. As the wind died, we proceeded to Molokini under engine power.

Once we reached Molokini, the crew secured the boat, got everyone squared away with snorkels, masks and fins, and prepared us to get into the water. Entering the water is pretty easy. There is a ladder / stairway that drops down from the trampoline in the front of the boat. Just step down the stairs and get wet! Two members of my group are essentially non-swimmers. No problem! Styrofoam “noodles” are provided. Place the noodle across your chest and under your armpits and you will be ready to go. Even if you can swim, don’t be bashful about taking a noodle. Frankly, it makes easing around the crater easier and more relaxing.

If you have not snorkeled before, you will likely be awed. The flip side is that if you have snorkeled before, you may be disappointed. All 7 of my group enjoyed being in the water. The 3 (including the 2 non-swimmers) who had not previously snorkeled thought it was fantastic. The other 4 have snorkeled and dived at several spots in the Caribbean. To be honest, we were underwhelmed. While we saw plenty of fish, the variety was lacking. More striking was the lack of color or more accurately the muted colors that could be seen. Rather than brilliant blues, reds, oranges, purples and yellows, we saw a lot of grey, dusty, ashy, dull marine flora. Sure, it was fun and we enjoyed pointing things out to each other, but I can’t say it was the best snorkeling we have ever done.

After about an hour swimming in the crater, it was time to head back to Maalaea. While we were playing the crew were putting out a really nice buffet lunch. Cold sandwiches, chips, salads and desserts were plentiful. Oh, by the way, beer and wine are provided in addition to a range of soft drinks…not bad!

During the sail back to harbor, the captain directed our attention to lots of whales. No, we didn’t get close enough to pet them, but we had no problem spotting them throughout the sail. By 1:00pm we were back in the slip in Maalaea and ready for the rest of our day.

If you want to enjoy a nice sail on a comfortable catamaran, Paragon II (and others) will do the trick. The captain and crew of Paragon II were excellent…no complaints at all. If you want to spot whales, any boat out of Maalaea should suffice during the appropriate season. If you want truly beautiful diving or snorkeling, you might want to keep looking. Having put all our eggs in this basket, I can’t compare it to other sites around Hawaii. I simply find it hard to believe that this is as good as it gets. Overall, it was a good trip for us and it worked well with our schedule. Beyond that, I would search for a better dive site and not be seduced by the allure of the crater.

Thanks for the review. We will be in Hawaii for the 15 day cruise with 5 port days with our girls who will be 8...

We may have our parents traveling with us so it will interesting to see when we choose to spend the day together or go separate ways....

Looking forward to the rest of your top 10 :-)

Thank you. I am looking forward to the description of the rest of your highlights.:)

If I may comment on a few of your observations - we stayed at Turtle Bay for 3 days pre-cruise on the North Shore and fell in love with the laid back attitude of this part of Oahu. So much so that we plan to do the same for our 2014 cruise. While many of the beaches are smaller than others we found them to be beautiful. Sunset Beach appeared to be large and uncrowded to us. That being said, we were there in May, when the large surf was gone. We saw placid, calm water and a beautiful place to spend the days. I do know that it a completely different picture in the winter months. I agree that you missed a gem with the Waimea Valley. It is a beautiful retreat & I would include it in any North Shore trip.

Don't miss the other shrimp trucks. We did not go for a gourmet food experience, but the completely North Shore experience. We found the garlic shrimp to be yummy.:cool:

We did not do the PCC on our last visit. I have read conflicting reviews and am trying to decide if we will go their on our next visit or not. I appreciate your comments.

I agree that Molokini is not the best snorkel experience, but it was a fun day. Next time we will try beach snorkeling near Black Rock in Maui and perhaps a catamaran snorkel in Kona. My DB said that the snorkeling at Two-Step near the Place of Refuge was the best he has ever experienced. And he has snorkeled in many places in both Hawaii and the Caribbean.

Once again, I am looking forward to the rest of your review - especially your review of the "Hole in the Wall Tour" in Oahu.

Our Top 10: # 6 Mt. Haleakala bike trip

Beyond the initial decision to spend your day visiting Haleakala, a big question is not really how to visit, but rather when. Should one do a “sunrise” tour or opt for the less ambitious midday version? Perhaps you are agonizing over this choice…I know I did.

Many describe the vision of the rising sun from the top of “House of the Sun” as spiritual. You will have to make your best judgment on this. I opted for the “midday” tour, instead. Why? First, I had to face the fact that my family really did not want to get up at 2:00am in order to get picked up and taken to the top of the mountain in time for sunrise. Second, while the view may be brilliant on a clear day, it can be much less so when the weather is bleak or rainy. Finally, it is chilly on top of the mountain in midday. It can be downright cold up there at 6:30am. As things turned out, our morning was quite nice. Still, we all agreed that the midday option was right for us.

It is possible to drive a private vehicle to the summit. It is also possible to take one of the many large bus tours. The choice of a bike trip was super-easy for us. It just seemed like a lot of fun and exceedingly cool (no pun intended). Multiple vendors operate bike tours on Maui’s Mt. Haleakala. I suspect, they are more alike than different. Our excursion was booked through Maui Mountain Cruisers (MMC). Our experience was fine and yours is likely to be, as well.

We were picked up right at the dock at Kahului. We walked off POA and spotted MMC’s standard-issue 15-passenger van. Off we went to MMC’s headquarters in the nearby town of Paia, where we picked up a couple more intrepid travelers and a trailer loaded with bicycles and related equipment. We were given a couple granola bars, some water and some of the worst coffee I have ever had. Within minutes we were on our way up Mt. Haleakala, which is an extinct volcano looming 10,000 ft overhead.

If memory serves, it is on the order of 28 miles from base to summit via the long and winding road (cue The Beatles). Our guide did his best to make the ride interesting and was very willing to tackle any questions thrown at him. Not to be the Grinch who stole Christmas, but the landscape is remarkably “blah.” Vast fields of pineapple, sugar cane, and other local crops are really no more inspiring than vast fields of corn, soybeans or anything else one might find on the mainland. At roughly 6500 ft elevation, we dropped the trailer containing the bikes just outside the boundary of the national park All commercial bike tours must do this, due to park regulations.

With increasing anticipation we continued up the mountain. An hour and a half after setting forth from the bottom, we reached the summit. A small visitor center provides the chance to buy a few postcards and other trinkets. The view of the terrain around the crater is often described as “moonlike.” While I haven’t taken any giant steps for mankind, I can certainly understand the analogy. The crater is vast…so vast that it is somewhat difficult to get a good sense of perspective You will almost certainly have your picture taken near the rustic sign marking the 10,023 ft elevation. There isn’t much else to do, so your will probably be on your way within less than 30 minutes.

We rode in the van back to the spot where the bike trailer sat waiting. Bikes, helmets and gloves were handed out, along with fleece windbreakers. By this time it was perhaps 11:00am, yet it remained cool enough that we all opted to wear the windbreakers.

The ride itself involves little exertion: gravity does the work. Remember the “long and winding” road mentioned earlier? This is not a simple sight seeing jaunt. The grade is such that the road involves many twists, turns and switchbacks. Blasting up the mountain on high performance motorcycles seems to be a favorite local pastime…watch out. Tourists in their rented convertibles are common…be careful. Vehicles coming down the mountain frequently become frustrated, if stuck behind a pack of bicyclists…keep to the edge of the road. It’s not really “dangerous,” but you must pay attention. Don't let your mind or your eyes wander too much. The nature of the trip makes it difficult to really enjoy the view, unless you stop.

Farther down the mountain we stopped at a small restaurant and inn for lunch (NOT provided by the tour vendor). Again, souvenirs were available along with a limited menu. Most notably, flush toilets were also available to customers. Refreshed and refueled, we mounted our bikes for the final leg of the trip. From this point it is basically a simple bike ride along normal small town streets. While speed was no longer a problem, increased auto/truck traffic presented separate issues. A certain sense of pride was felt as we peddled through the “hippie town” of Paia. Tourists stared at us as we rode through town staring back at them. MCC claims that it is the only tour company that gives the experieence of riding through town. Is this true? I don't know, but probably so. The terminus of our journey was a small park on the edge of town. All members of our party dismounted and walked to the adjacent beach. One daughter and I removed our footwear and waded into the ocean…we truly had gone from the summit to the surf!

So what’s the verdict? Well, we had a good time. We are all glad that we did it and agree that the midday tour was right for us. It’s not cheap, but the ride is fun and provides a certain amount of bragging rights when talking with friends.

Top 10: # 5 Diamond Head hike

Following our long flight from the east coast to Honolulu, we were anxious to explore Oahu. Anticipating a measure of jet lag and just plain old fatigue, I planned our first full day as a “rest” day. With this in mind, I settled on a visit to Diamond Head. Research convinced me that the “hike” up Diamond Head would be little more than a simple walk up a small mountain / hill. Reality turned out to be a bit different. Many of you are probably aware that Diamond Head is not really a mountain, but rather the remnants of an ancient volcanic crater. Mistaking the hard rock that sparkled in the sun for diamonds, Capt Cook and his crew gave the icon its name.

The plan was to allow everyone to sleep in before starting our day’s activities. Being on east coast time, however, we were all up before sunrise. Oh well, no harm done. We had breakfast and then loaded into our rental minivan and headed east from Ko Olina toward Honolulu. Traffic on H-1 is know for its congestion and fully lived up to its reputation. Still, the trip wasn’t bad. Within 40-45 min we were on the east side of the city and winding our way along neighborhood streets toward Diamond Head.

Driving by a local community college, we noticed many people walking along the side of the road. We continued until we entered a tunnel cut through the base of the crater. Having passed through the tunnel, we were literally inside the crater. A few hundreds yards farther brought us to a tool booth where we paid $5 (I think) to enter the parking area. At this point we encountered what may have been the biggest annoyance of our 2 weeks in Hawaii. The parking lot is small…very small. Vehicles are allowed to continue to pay their fee and enter the lot, even though there are no vacant spots. You end up in a game of musical chairs in which cars circle the lot---over and over---hoping to be the lucky one to nab a spot as someone leaves. We circled for 10 minutes before our spot appeared. Remember all those folks walking along the side of the road a ways back? They were smart enough to know to park and walk, rather than get trapped in the frustrating conga line in the parking lot. This arrangement is flat out ridiculous.

From the parking lot it is difficult to get a good sense of where you are. Take a good look around and then compare it to the view from the top. Public restrooms are available at the start of the trail. This is your last chance before heading up the mountain…just a word to the wise.

Initially, the trail is a broad, paved walking path. The grade is gradual and there is little to worry anyone. Within a few hundred yards the path narrows and steepens. Beyond that the paving stops and the trail becomes a well-worn dirt path. Perhaps 10-15 minutes later the trek becomes even more interesting. Hikers pass going in opposite directions on a path that is only a yard or two wide. A simple handrail marks one side of the trail as it meanders upward. Glance back to where you started…could it really be THAT far? Take a look around and note the steepness of the caldera’s walls, but don’t become complacent, because the path becomes increasingly rough and uneven. Up, up, up, you are urged upward by the relentless phalanx behind.

Perhaps 2/3 of the way to the top, there is another tunnel. Watch your step---and your head---as you proceed through the dark. Emerging into the sunlight, you are faced with a long (looong), steep staircase cut into the volcanic rock. My guess is that it is about 50 steps. While not horrible, you will “feel the burn” by the time you get to the top.

The trail culminates at a dead end. I believe it is some sort of abandoned lookout and/or gun emplacement from the days when Diamond Head was of strategic importance. The observation point is crowded and basically ugly. To the west lies Waikiki and Honolulu; to the east lies the ocean. Face the water and then spin around to look at the crater. That line of ants marching up the side of the mountain? That was you half an hour ago! Look down and appreciate the dimension of the caldera. Take a few pictures (hopefully without too many strangers in the frame) and you’ll be done, because there isn’t much else to do and the ants continue to march.

One note: we got REALLY lucky while at the observation point at the top of Diamond Head. We watched a wall of fog/mist roll down a canyon directly toward us. Upon its arrival we got wet from a little rain. 5 minutes later the rain was gone and the sun had returned. Big deal, right? Well, the sun created a rainbow that was different from anything else we had ever seen. From our perch literally on the rim of the crater, we looked DOWN on the rainbow. Not only that, but we had a clear view as the rainbow extended from the crater floor OVER the rim and back down the other side. Most definitely C-O-O-L.

Retrace your steps down the mountain and you will be back to square one just about 90-120 minutes after you began. An enterprising guy hawks t-shirts and souvenir certificates memorializing your trek. A food truck sells shaved ice and smoothies, too. We passed on the certificates and shirts, but toasted our exploration with the smoothies---ummm, good!

You don’t have to be a mountain climber to make this trip. People of all ages and a wide range of fitness made their way to the top and back along with us. After all, the crater is less than 800 feet high. On the other hand, be aware that it is quite a bit more than a simple stroll through a park. I don’t see any way this would be accessible to someone in a wheelchair. We have carried my mom in a wheelchair to the top of a Mayan pyramid (we really did!), but I wouldn’t even attempt to take her up Diamond Head.

Leaving the parking lot, we drove through the tunnel and emerged from a unique and thoroughly enjoyable experience. What I thought would be something of a throw-away activity turned out to be a real hit.

Our Top 10 Attractions: #4 Mt. Kilauea bike ride

Sometime in the vague and distant past, I saw a story on TV concerning a bike tour on a Hawaiian volcano...it seemed incredibly cool. As a consequence, one of the first things on our wish list for our Hawaiian vacation involved (a) bicycles and (b) volcanoes. That’s about as much as I knew at the start of the planning process. It took considerable time before I figured out the difference between Maui and the Big Island and even longer to remember which had Mt. Haleakala and which Mt. Kilauea. Dedicating two days to riding bikes on volcanoes seemed redundant. With the tremendous (and patient) assistance of Lori J of Tom Barefoot’s booking service, I came to understand that theses excursions were sufficiently different to be worth our time (and money).

We met our driver and guide with their van immediately outside the pier at Hilo…no need for a shuttle or taxi. Within minutes we were on our way up the mountain. The Kilauea summit is lower and less dramatic than Haleakala. Once again we viewed a largely bleak and monochromatic landscape. A small visitor center / gift shop (with adjacent restrooms) provided a brief diversion before we mounted our bikes and took a couple practice loops around the parking lot. On Haleakala we had single-gear, non-suspension road bikes. For Kilauea we were issued 21-speed bikes with full suspension. Be neither fooled nor intimidated. The “off road” portion of the ride consists of perhaps 50 yds where the macadam path remains unpaved. Otherwise, the roughest part is an occasional bump or shallow pot hole. The trip is primarily gravity-driven, although a few very modest grades remind the rider that “mostly downhill” does not mean “entirely downhill.”

Our guide was a geologist, who pointed out many facts and features that we would have easily missed without his help. We rode through areas of steam vents stopping at one. At this vent we dismounted and stood in the middle of a cloud of steam. This really allowed us to experience this natural phenomenon via all our senses.

Rather than bombing straight down the mountain, as on Haleakala, our Kilauea trip was more relaxed. The slower pace and more frequent stops provided opportunities for questions and photos. We checked out plant life and different types of rock. We stood on a crater rim and watched hikers far below on the caldera floor. We rode among steam vents and pot craters. We did not ride to the end of Chain o’ Craters Rd or see any active lava zones as may have been possible had we just rented bikes and done a self-guided tour. It also would have been fun to walk the trail across the large crater that we viewed from its rim.

Overall, this trip rated slightly higher among my family than did Haleakala. Each was fun in its own way. Each is sufficiently distinct to justify your time and money. You may rank them differently, but I am confident that you will enjoy them both.

Our Top 10: #3 flight over Kauai

As I began my vacation research and preparation, my ignorance about the multiple islands comprising the state of Hawaii was great. Among the many points I simply did not grasp were the significant topographic, climatic, and meteorological differences among the islands. This was perhaps most clear regarding Kauai.

Many are aware that Kauai has used as a location for many “jungle-type” movies and TV shows, such as Jurassic Park, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Lost. My research was much like peeling an onion. Each attraction or activity discovered opened up the possibilities of others. Driving around Kauai is really limited to circling the perimeter of the island. The mountains and steep canyons guard and protect the island’s interior. Waimea Canyon, “the Grand Canyon of the Pacific” was a natural (no pun intended) draw for us. I considered renting a car, taking a bike tour or otherwise exploring this magnificent site. There are some interesting botanical gardens in the Princeville area that would have been a big hit with some of my group. A sea kayak expedition to the Na Pali coast had me salivating, but is not available during the winter.

Having settled on a different activity (see #2 upcoming) for our first day on Kauai, our time was limited our departure from Nawilliwilli on day 2. Given these constraints, I decided on an aerial trip to give us a literal overview of Kauai’s magnificence. Once this decision was made, the next question was “fixed-wing or helicopter?” My decision was driven by some practical considerations. First, cost: the airplane was cheaper. Second, availability: I needed 7 seats. The best I could do was to put 5 on one flight and 2 on the next. Third, timing: all this needed to be accomplished on the morning of our second day with enough cushion to get us back to the POA for our 2:00pm departure.

Helicopters are sexier. It just seems cooler to zip around, hover, etc. in a copter. Conversely, the fixed-wing aircraft is a bit quieter and arguably more gentle. While I’m confident either choice is enjoyable, I can attest that the small plane afforded good visibility and a reasonably comfortable ride. We were not disappointed.

I believe there are only two fixed-wing tours available. Once again, my suspicion is that they are far more alike than not. We flew with Air Ventures and were very satisfied. We jumped on a shuttle to a commercial strip perhaps 5 min away. We were met there by someone who drove us the remaining short distance to the airport. No taxi, no hassle, no problem.

Our guide provided typical glib chatter, while pointing out local high points, resorts, celebrity homes, etc. He also circled a few times above a pod of whales that he spotted off the coast. My favorite part was soaring above Waimea Canyon in broad, lazy “S” turns. The canyon is heavily forested and has a series of needle-thin waterfalls. There are other (and perhaps better) ways to see the canyon, but none can give the same panorama. Neither can any other mode allow a visitor to experience the canyon in such limited time.

From Waimea our flight continued clockwise to the Na Pali coast. We knew that we would see the coast from the POA later in the afternoon. We were curious how different the views and the experiences might be. IMO the aerial view is superior. Seeing the heavy surf crashing against the cliffs, I understood why the sea kayak excursion is not offered in the winter. It would have been far too rough and dangerous for novices. Still, I would love to take the kayak trip under calmer conditions so as to get yet another perspective on the cliffs.

A quick buzz of Princeville essentially completed the tour. Within 15 minutes we approached the airport at Lihue and prepared for descent. Upon our return, the tour vendor drove us directly from the airport to the pier with time to spare. It really could not have been more convenient.

Flying over any of the islands was never part of my agenda. I selected this activity because it fit our time constraints so well. Only later did I learn that at least one of the family had secretly hoped we might do this. You could make the argument that experiencing Kauai (or anywhere else for that matter) is best done at ground level. Most times I would agree. Nonetheless, this flight allowed us to see so much more than we could have otherwise. We simply would not have seen Waimea. Neither would we have had the same sense of how remote the interior of the island is.

This excursion rated highly with every member of my family. I realize not everyone would be on the same schedule we were, but for those visiting Kauai on the POA, this aerial excursion is an excellent option.

We did the same in Kaui for much of the same reasons that you stated. It was an excellent way to see the island. Our next rip to Hawaii will include only one day in Kaui and we plan to do a land based tour, but I will always remember the beautiful scenery we experienced by air that day.

Thank you so much for the indepth wonderful review of your top ten! All the specifics you've included are greatly appreciated.

When my family visited Kauai a few years ago, they all took a heli excursion. I don't even like 747s, so I waited at the airport while they flew!! While waiting I spoke with an elderly couple who had just taken the flight. They were world travelers and said that was the very best tour they had ever taken.

Mahalo for sharing your experiences, and Aloha!

# 2 Kayak / Zip safari

The “first runner-up” on the list of my family’s top 10 activities / attractions / excursions is a hybrid activity combining river kayaking, hiking, swimming, and a zip line. There may well be better choices for each of these separate activities, but this combination worked extremely well for us.

The tour is one of several offered by Outfitters Kauai. The assembly point is a small shack that serves as the office for this vendor. It is located in the small boat marina at Nawilliwilli…just a 10 minute walk from where the POA docks.

After the usual sign-in process, we were each issued a “dry bag.” For those not familiar with diving/boating, a dry bag (as the name kind of gives away) is used to keep your stuff dry. No need to bring a backpack or any other type of bag with you. You can easily and confidently put a camera, towel, sunscreen, hat, wallet, etc. in the bag. Each person will be issues a bag, so you will be able to haul a good bit of stuff, if you choose.

The first part of this 5+ hr expedition is a slow and easy paddle up (yes, I said “up”) the Waimea River. This water portion of the safari is quiet and calm, but as noted, you will be travelling up river. It takes a bit of work. Do not hesitate to try this activity, but be aware that it is not simply sitting in a boat, while the current does all the work.

Standard two-person fiberglass kayaks are the mode of transport. Our guides did a nice job of explaining the natural sites along the way. Also, for the first time I understood the significance and function of the large “fish ponds” that I had heard and read about. We also saw a spot where Harrison Ford, as Indiana Jones, was chased through the jungle to his sea plane waiting for him on the river. 3 miles may not sound like very far, but it was enough...believe me.

Upon reaching our destination along the river, we got out of the kayaks and set off on foot through the jungle/forest. We found that hiking- style sandals were a good footwear choice, because they could get wet without any problem. Sneakers would be fine, as well. Flip-flops? Nah, don't try it.

The trail is narrow and can be slippery. There are, however, no significant grades to climb. You will be able to enjoy the plants and flowers along the way. Deep into the forest there is a small pool formed by a stream and natural dam. A rope swing tempts the willing (and not so willing) to swing out and drop into the c-o-l-d water. This is a lot of fun and I encourage you to give it a try.

Emerging from the jungle, you will find a farm tractor waiting to pull a large wagon (with you in it) along a dirt road and up a mountain. Once you get up the grade all you have to do is jump out, take a long look around and enjoy the lunch that is served. After lunch the harnesses and helmets are handed out for the zip lines. A short suspension bridge is really unnecessary, but it gives you a brief sense of what it is like to walk on such a structure. Safely across the bridge, you are ready for your first of two zip lines. This line is moderately long ( 800’?), but pretty steep. You will get up some good speed and come into the landing zone “hot.” The guide made sure that we all stopped safely and without incident. The second line is much longer…appx 1800’. This line soars over a canyon so that you will be above the trees. The way it is constructed allows the rider to zip perhaps 200’ past the landing zone before drifting back. This extends the length of the ride and gives you a nice chance to really look around.

Once everyone completed the zip lines, we set out on foot once again. This part of the hike was a little more downhill. At one point we came to another natural pool. This pool had been “enhanced” with a short zip line and a couple of spots from which to jump in. Get your full “Indiana Jones” thrill…just go for it!

A final 15-minute hike returns the trail to the Waimea River, where a motor launch waits to complete the circuit by returning you to the starting point. Back at the office we emptied our dry bags to learn that everything was in fact dry…how ‘bout that. The 10 min walk back to the POA seemed even shorter as we all chattered and compared notes about our very enjoyable day.

As noted, this is a combo experience. If all you want to do is zip, then that’s what you should do. The same goes for kayaking or hiking. Some of my group really enjoyed the kayaking, some thought the zip lines were great, others liked simply hiking through the jungle and swimming in the natural pools. In the end, this excursion ranked so highly, because it delivered a great mix of activities. My guess is that it would not be rated so highly by folks looking to focus on a single activity.

Thank you very much for your detailed description of Activity #2. Kauai is a wonderful place for interacting with nature. I "experienced" a short zip line at a travel show. That was enough for me. I will live through your experience. One question: If they picked you up with a motor launch to take you down river, why did they not reverse it and let you paddle downstream? LOL

If you enjoyed the kayaking, the next time you visit Kauai, you should try the Hanalei River or Napali Coastline.

I am so glad you enjoyed your visit to the islands. One of the best reviews on Cruise Critic. Congratulations.

Renee (displaced local girl)

Archived