RCL All Access tour

On the same cruise as shutterbug63 and have signed up for it - interested as well on feedback. I do know that it typically includes bridge, crew areas, laundry and other facilities, engine room, etc., and takes about 3-1/2 hours. Would like to have that information confirmed as well.

I couldn't find where it could be signed up for it ahead of time. Were you able to do that within your reservation?

I couldn't find where it could be signed up for it ahead of time. Were you able to do that within your reservation?

My wife spotted it a while ago on line through the C&A area on the RCI web. But when she went back to book it, the site was down for maintenence so she called the C&A rep and booked it over the phone. Said it would take a few days to show up on our reservation.

I am thinking about signing my husband up for this, but yes, it is a little on the high side.

For anyone who has done it before -- were cameras allowed? Being the camera bug he is, I know he would want to take lots and lots of photos. I didn't know if this was off-limits.

Thanks,

Ann

I am thinking about signing my husband up for this, but yes, it is a little on the high side.

For anyone who has done it before -- were cameras allowed? Being the camera bug he is, I know he would want to take lots and lots of photos. I didn't know if this was off-limits.

Thanks,

Ann

Yes, cameras are allowed. They may have certain areas with restrictions, for example it's typical for them to request no videos (still photos OK) on the bridge.

Did this on Adventure in December. Included backstage in the main theater, at the ice rink, visit to the bridge, to the ship's laundry, the main galley, the food storage areas, the environmental area and the engine control room (not engine room, just the engine control room, from which they run and monitor everything. At each stop you had an relevant expert talk to you about how things work (head performer and the production manager in the theater, Engineering officer for the engine control room, etc). At the end of the tour they brought us to a table reserved in the MDR for lunch (it was a sea day).

We thought it was both well done and fascinating. They also gave us a nice tote bag, an apron and some other stuff to take home. I probably don't need to do it again, but it was well worth it if you have any interest in how all those things work on a cruise ship.

Bob is absoluteley correct about the cameras, I shot a ton of photos on this tour, but they do ask no video on bridge. Also, I would note that there is a certain amount of up and down stairs (some steep) and that some of the floors, especially in the galley, can be slippery.

bobj

Did this on Adventure in December. Included backstage in the main theater, at the ice rink, visit to the bridge, to the ship's laundry, the main galley, the food storage areas, the environmental area and the engine control room (not engine room, just the engine control room, from which they run and monitor everything. At each stop you had an relevant expert talk to you about how things work (head performer and the production manager in the theater, Engineering officer for the engine control room, etc). At the end of the tour they brought us to a table reserved in the MDR for lunch (it was a sea day).

We thought it was both well done and fascinating. They also gave us a nice tote bag, an apron and some other stuff to take home. I probably don't need to do it again, but it was well worth it if you have any interest in how all those things work on a cruise ship.

bobj

Great information - thanks!

I did this tour on Princess. It was awesome but once you've done it, you never have to do it again. I know all ships are different but honestly, how different can a laundry, industrial kitchen and control room really be?

I agree that the extras were kinda nice. Princess gives a robe, chefs coat, personalized note pad, and photos from each stop on the tour. It's the extra stuff you're paying for not the tour. Now if they had the option to just take the tour at a discounted price and forgo those extras, I would probably do it again on each ship we sail on.

Did it on Allure last fall. Thought it was fantastic. I wouldn't worry about trying to book it in advance. The price tag keeps a lot of people away. And they basically wait and see what the demand is for it on any given cruise. Sometimes they have one group, sometimes they have two. Sometimes they only do it one day, sometimes they do it multiple days, depending on who wants it.

Just got off the phone with C & A and they are telling me this can only be booked on board. I'll try again tomorrow and see if I can get someone who would let me book it. Don't think the girl I talked to knew much, she wasn't even aware they had the tour.

What usually happens is C&A will transfer you to an excursion booking rep and they don't always know all the information. I'll talk to the "boss" tonight and find out what she did and will let you know on our roll call.

I just did this last week on the Allure...

I didn't book it in advance - I booked it on approximately day 2 or day 3 of the cruise. It's not advertised...I had to go to Guest Relations and ask about it.

It was held on our last day - sea day - and they do this because one of the stops is inside the freezers/refrigerators in the galley. If they did the tour at the beginning of the cruise, there wouldn't be any room for "people" inside these areas, as they would be full of food/provisions. They wait until the end of the cruise to tour, so the areas are empty (for the most part).

There were about 10 of us in the 9:00 am tour, and about the same in the 9:20 tour.

As others have said, it IS slippery...and there are lots of steep steps. They request jeans/pants and closed-toe shoes; they're very strict about that. Also - NO large bags or purses. We did have to get "wanded" by security before going into the engine control room - and again before the visiting the bridge.

Photos were okay in every area we visited; however, NO videos.

We visited:

1. Galley/kitchen area - including prep, storage, cooking, etc

2. Engine control room

3. Laundry area

4. Crew area - including cafeteria, disco, bar, recreation room

5. Theater - backstage, dressing rooms

6. Helicopter pad

7. Bridge

At the end of our tour, we were given the burlap "beach" bag that had an apron inside. We didn't get a meal in the dining room, although we were given a treat to sample in the galley, and we were given a beverage in the Crew Bar area.

Was it worth it?

Yes. I thought it was extremely interesting; they encouraged questions.

I wouldn't do it again, though....once was enough! :)

Nice I am glad you got some answers I though about booking this for the DW and I but wow 150$ a pop thats alot of money :S.. wish it was a little more affordable and they could have this tour on going for a while, probably make more money then

If you log in under the RCCL website, click on your cruise, then vacation summary, then food/drink reservation, and last speciality restaurants...you can add the all access tour there. That is the ONLY place I have seen it online and this does include:

The All Access Tour gives you an eye-opening, insider look at the ship's most intricate operations, from the Galley to the Bridge to the Engine Control Room and beyond. Learn how the world's most innovative cruise ships deliver the Royal Advantage to thousands of guests, 365 days a year, and enjoy special commemorative gifts along the way.

Plus, you'll experience two amazing specialty restaurants: Chops Grille and Portofino Italian restaurant. Dine any nights you choose, and enjoy delicious fare from tantalizing steaks to family-style pastas.

The All Access Tour Plus Dining Package gives you the full tour PLUS both restaurants for just $170 per person. That's a total savings of $30 off the regular total price for all three.

This package can only be reserved online before your cruise, and space is limited to just 15 guests per tour - so hurry, reserve your spot now.

My DH did this on Carnival and RC Jewel and he was very pleased. Disappointed he couldn't see the engine room but understandable. He was more interested than I about the back scenes, so that was why only he did it. It is usually a small group,so sign up when you can.

We did this on the Allure with Sherri (KansCocoa). It was worth the $$$. But like Sherri said once is enough, especially if you do it on an Oasis class ship.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359669710.927493.jpg.65201318dd1a6a3d2bdc74717684051a.jpg

From the bridge of the Allure...

It was a very interesting tour. We had to get wanded by security twice 1) before the engine control room and 2) before the bridge. A group of random people in the forward elevators stopped and stared as the 15 of us on the tour got searched by security. I can only imagine what they were thinking!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359669892.227681.jpg.e95e3458beb9c1f80d033f7bb9d89243.jpg

The crew's rec room... with Guitar Hero game.

I've done the tour on the Navigator and later on the Freedom...I would do it on every ship if I could! Then again, I loved knowing the inner workings of a cruise ship...

Some time back, and in response to a question similar to the OP, I posted a long comment on the differences I encountered between each of the two tours I did. The prices were different and one included a meal and nicer gifts; now RCCL is offering the tour in conjunction the specialty restaurant offer, which increases the $150 usual cost to $170.

The basic tour can be booked onboard at the Purser's Desk; the tour in conjunction with the specialty restaurants can be booked pre-cruise online.

I took tons of pictures and had a memorable time on both tours. If you can afford it, make a reservation, grab a camera and get ready for an informative tour!

Our TA called RC for us the other day to see if this could be booked in advance and it cannot. We were advised to go to the tour desk when we get on the ship. My cousin did the tour last year when we are on AOS and he felt it was totally worth it.

If you log in under the RCCL website, click on your cruise, then vacation summary, then food/drink reservation, and last speciality restaurants...you can add the all access tour there. That is the ONLY place I have seen it online and this does include:

The All Access Tour gives you an eye-opening, insider look at the ship's most intricate operations, from the Galley to the Bridge to the Engine Control Room and beyond. Learn how the world's most innovative cruise ships deliver the Royal Advantage to thousands of guests, 365 days a year, and enjoy special commemorative gifts along the way.

Plus, you'll experience two amazing specialty restaurants: Chops Grille and Portofino Italian restaurant. Dine any nights you choose, and enjoy delicious fare from tantalizing steaks to family-style pastas.

The All Access Tour Plus Dining Package gives you the full tour PLUS both restaurants for just $170 per person. That's a total savings of $30 off the regular total price for all three.

This package can only be reserved online before your cruise, and space is limited to just 15 guests per tour - so hurry, reserve your spot now.

Well, this doesn't work for me. It's there, but the minimum age is 21 years. My son is 10. Guess I'll just have to reserve just the tour part when I get on the ship.

Archived