Very disappointed with Celebrity treatment over shortened Summit cruise

Hutchins

First of all, let me say the good stuff. We just got off the Summit May 27 Alaska sailing. The cruise itself was wonderful -- the service couldn't have been better, the food was wonderful, and the amenities were fabulous. Concierge class was well worth the extra money. The pre-cruise land portion was done very well, and we had a great time. Very little to complain about on the cruise.

But... we are very disappointed with the treatment we have received from Celebrity in connection with the lost day of cruising. As I'm sure you all know, they cut short our cruise and docked in Vancouver a day early, canceling Ketchikan. We were on the land portion when the change was announced. Unfortunately, people in our group learned about the change via the news instead of getting the information from Celebrity. In fact, our tour guide learned about it on the news and had no official information when we first asked him what was going on.

Then comes the "compensation." First, $300 credit for each stateroom whether you were in a CC room or an inside room. The Celebrity rep told us that was to cover expenses incurred by us due to the change (e.g., meals in Vancouver, etc.). Second, $200 for either flight change or Vancouver hotel room. Third, 25% off future North America cruise of 7 days or less taken by June 2006, which is supposed to "reimburse" us for the lost day of cruising.

This "compensation" is totally unacceptable. My husband and I do not take real vacations (meaning a week or more) very often (we are averaging one every five years at this point). So we cannot put much value on this. I don't think there is any question we are entitled to receive a refund of some portion of our ticket price because we are not getting the 7-night cruise that we paid for.

Then comes the Celebrity representative who came from Miami and traveled with us. She was not-so-fondly referred to on board as the "Ice Princess." Never so much as an apology. In fact, she was insulting and borderline rude. We asked her how $300 was a fair reimbursement when everybody paid such different amounts for their cruises, and in our case, $300 did not compensate us for 1/7 of our cruise. She said that the $300 wasn't meant as compensation -- just to cover extras. The true compensation is the 25% off. And she said that was proportionate because it's up to you how much you save -- if we book another CC room, we will save more than somebody who books an inside room. We explained that we were not planning another cruise in the next year and asked for an alternative. She said that she really hoped we use the coupon because that's our compensation. We pointed out that this only helps the cruise line, not us. She said that they are a business and have to make money, and they think this is great compensation. She told us that some people were unhappy with the compensation, but those people were always going to be unhappy (which was obviously directed at us since we were complaining). She told us that most people were very pleased with the compensation, which is not what we heard from others we spoke to on the ship. She said that this is a very generous offer and totally discounted the fact that we missed a port where I really wanted to go. (Side note here -- we had booked through Southeast Sea Kayaks, who gave us a complete refund -- couldn't have been nicer.) She also told us that this kind of thing hardly ever happens, and then she said that they have a very good coupon use rate. Both things can't be true.... She also said that people were already posting on the cruise websites about how well Celebrity is handling this. I haven't read everything yet, but I haven't seen anything talking about how great they handled the lost day on our cruise.

The bottom line is that I think it's terrible that they don't start with a refund of 1/7 of what you paid for your cruise. (And many people were saying 1/7 isn't the right number -- for example, there are only 3 1/2 days in port, and we missed 1 of them or there are 6 full days on the cruise, and we missed 1 of them, etc.). And I think it's inexcusable that they did not send a customer service representative who was at least well-trained enough to say that the company was sorry instead of telling us this is a great deal, and we have a problem if we don't think so.

This whole thing is very unfortunate, because as I said at the beginning of this post, the Summit itself was truly wonderful. And we definitely did not let this ruin our vacation. But this treatment has really left a bad taste in our mouth -- I'm not sure how I can in good conscience recommend this cruiseline to somebody when there is such a likelihood of something like this happening and then being mistreated. I will say that we -- and everybody we talked to -- felt like the refund plus free cruise given to the June 3 cruisers was fair compensation. And we wouldn't be complaining if they had refunded our money for the lost portion of the cruise and given us something extra to make up for it. These things are going to happen, and clearly they are running a business. But how does it make good business sense to mistreat people by giving them inadequate compensation for a problem that clearly was not our fault???

Does anybody have any thoughts or suggestions? The only thing I know for sure is that we are not going to let this go. Celebrity owes us a refund for the lost portion of the cruise, and a 25% off coupon (particularly with all of its limitations) does not constitute a refund.

Nicole

Let your voice be heard!

Send a written letter to:

Mr. Jack L. Williams

President and COO

Royal Caribbean International

Celebrity Cruises

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami, FL33132

Dear Mr. Williams:

Hi Nicole,

I regret your trip didn't work out as planned.

Don't really want to get into a big discussion, but want to point out that the difference in what one pays for cabins (Suite, CC, oceanview, inside, etc) is simply for the class and location of the cabin only. All passengers pay the same for meals, the voyage, entertainment, ports, etc.

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

Unfortunately for you I don't think Celebrity cares about someone who is only going on one vacation once every 5 years. Sometimes I think they don't care about some of us who travel on Celebrity twice a year. If you feel you have been wronged, you will have to fight it out with them. Remember the oily wheel usually gets oiled. Pat

Most people would think $500 dollars per cabin and 25% of a future cruise is good compensation. CC cabins for a week in May are about $1200 pp if you're shopping at the right TA so even without the 25% off you would be getting more than your loss of one day. If you're really unhappy you can continue to fight it, but most people would rather have the 25% off coupon than another $100.

First of all, let me say the good stuff. We just got off the Summit May 27 Alaska sailing. The cruise itself was wonderful -- the service couldn't have been better, the food was wonderful, and the amenities were fabulous. Concierge class was well worth the extra money. The pre-cruise land portion was done very well, and we had a great time. Very little to complain about on the cruise.

But... we are very disappointed with the treatment we have received from Celebrity in connection with the lost day of cruising. As I'm sure you all know, they cut short our cruise and docked in Vancouver a day early, canceling Ketchikan. We were on the land portion when the change was announced. Unfortunately, people in our group learned about the change via the news instead of getting the information from Celebrity. In fact, our tour guide learned about it on the news and had no official information when we first asked him what was going on.

Then comes the "compensation." First, $300 credit for each stateroom whether you were in a CC room or an inside room. The Celebrity rep told us that was to cover expenses incurred by us due to the change (e.g., meals in Vancouver, etc.). Second, $200 for either flight change or Vancouver hotel room. Third, 25% off future North America cruise of 7 days or less taken by June 2006, which is supposed to "reimburse" us for the lost day of cruising.

This "compensation" is totally unacceptable. My husband and I do not take real vacations (meaning a week or more) very often (we are averaging one every five years at this point). So we cannot put much value on this. I don't think there is any question we are entitled to receive a refund of some portion of our ticket price because we are not getting the 7-night cruise that we paid for.

Then comes the Celebrity representative who came from Miami and traveled with us. She was not-so-fondly referred to on board as the "Ice Princess." Never so much as an apology. In fact, she was insulting and borderline rude. We asked her how $300 was a fair reimbursement when everybody paid such different amounts for their cruises, and in our case, $300 did not compensate us for 1/7 of our cruise. She said that the $300 wasn't meant as compensation -- just to cover extras. The true compensation is the 25% off. And she said that was proportionate because it's up to you how much you save -- if we book another CC room, we will save more than somebody who books an inside room. We explained that we were not planning another cruise in the next year and asked for an alternative. She said that she really hoped we use the coupon because that's our compensation. We pointed out that this only helps the cruise line, not us. She said that they are a business and have to make money, and they think this is great compensation. She told us that some people were unhappy with the compensation, but those people were always going to be unhappy (which was obviously directed at us since we were complaining). She told us that most people were very pleased with the compensation, which is not what we heard from others we spoke to on the ship. She said that this is a very generous offer and totally discounted the fact that we missed a port where I really wanted to go. (Side note here -- we had booked through Southeast Sea Kayaks, who gave us a complete refund -- couldn't have been nicer.) She also told us that this kind of thing hardly ever happens, and then she said that they have a very good coupon use rate. Both things can't be true.... She also said that people were already posting on the cruise websites about how well Celebrity is handling this. I haven't read everything yet, but I haven't seen anything talking about how great they handled the lost day on our cruise.

The bottom line is that I think it's terrible that they don't start with a refund of 1/7 of what you paid for your cruise. (And many people were saying 1/7 isn't the right number -- for example, there are only 3 1/2 days in port, and we missed 1 of them or there are 6 full days on the cruise, and we missed 1 of them, etc.). And I think it's inexcusable that they did not send a customer service representative who was at least well-trained enough to say that the company was sorry instead of telling us this is a great deal, and we have a problem if we don't think so.

This whole thing is very unfortunate, because as I said at the beginning of this post, the Summit itself was truly wonderful. And we definitely did not let this ruin our vacation. But this treatment has really left a bad taste in our mouth -- I'm not sure how I can in good conscience recommend this cruiseline to somebody when there is such a likelihood of something like this happening and then being mistreated. I will say that we -- and everybody we talked to -- felt like the refund plus free cruise given to the June 3 cruisers was fair compensation. And we wouldn't be complaining if they had refunded our money for the lost portion of the cruise and given us something extra to make up for it. These things are going to happen, and clearly they are running a business. But how does it make good business sense to mistreat people by giving them inadequate compensation for a problem that clearly was not our fault???

Does anybody have any thoughts or suggestions? The only thing I know for sure is that we are not going to let this go. Celebrity owes us a refund for the lost portion of the cruise, and a 25% off coupon (particularly with all of its limitations) does not constitute a refund.

Nicole

this will be my second try at this reply so forgive me if its up twice...my in laws lost one day at sea due to a hurricane ....they were cruising with Royal Caribbean and were given two 50% certificates on their next RC cruise and we are all leaving Nov 27 ----dec3rd on Explorer of the seas!! now 50 % off you next cruise is a great comp for one day missed.......pam

Jack may be gone - but a letter to Richard Fain who I believe is the Chairman of Royal Caribbean will work just fine. Mention names and the attitude of the company rep.

I would speak to your TA as well He/She is in a much better position to fight for you.

Travel Insurance - definitely would help for compensation.

As far as the letter is concerned - we had occassion to write to Richard Fain a couple of years ago regarding poor treatment by a TA and some issues on VOS - we god a significant credit for our next cruise. It took 4-6 weeks and you might have to send a second letter especially since this will undoubtably have lots of complaints - but they are not stupid. A couple of hundred bucks extra is worth the good will

Most people would think $500 dollars per cabin and 25% of a future cruise is good compensation. CC cabins for a week in May are about $1200 pp if you're shopping at the right TA so even without the 25% off you would be getting more than your loss of one day. If you're really unhappy you can continue to fight it, but most people would rather have the 25% off coupon than another $100.

The op stated that they only go on a vacation once every five years or so. A 25% off coupon to be used in the next year does seem practical for them. I think they'd rather the $100

The op stated that they only go on a vacation once every five years or so. A 25% off coupon to be used in the next year does seem practical for them. I think they'd rather the $100

That's why I said "most people". Believe it or not I can read.

I guess it is a sign of the times that when anything doesn't go exactly as planned some folks want extraordinary compensation. As a boat owners from the Pacific NW we have experienced numerous situations where we had to stay in port and change/delay our cruising plans. Some were mechanical, some weather but in all cases we took them in stride and moved on.

The world is not perfect, especially with boats, mother nature & the sea.

I can see how this compensation could work for some and not work for others.

I think Celebrity should have a choice of two compensations. One being the extra $100 and the other being the 25% discount on a future cruise.

Personally I would take the 25% discount but I can see how others might not.

I am not the type to expect something for nothing. But if I had paid for a 7-night cruise and it was shortened by one day, I'd feel the only fair compensation is a CASH refund of 1/7 of the price you paid for your cruise. You didn't pay for your cruise in vouchers, so you shouldn't be refunded in vouchers, either, IMHO. This is fair to pax in all cabin categories.

The concept of $300 or whatever in cash to cover incidentals is not a fair one, since some pax will have driven to the pier and incur no additional expenses while some who flew long-distance to the pier may incur expenses far greater than that due to the shortened itinerary.

Just my $.02.

Joan, the ship had some mechanical problems and had to go into dry dock for repairs. Celebrity cut short the May 27 cruise by one day (omitting our stop in Ketchikan) and cancelled the June 3 cruise entirely. I understand the June 10 cruise will proceed as planned.

I'm not turning a good time into something bad. As I said, we did not let this spoil our cruise, and everything else on the ship was absolutely wonderful. Nor do I want "extraordinary compensation." All I want is a refund of the portion that I paid for that day/night of the cruise. And the Celebrity rep was very insistent with me that the $300 credit was not reimbursement for our lost cruising time. She made it very clear that the 25% was the reimbursement part. (And I'm sorry, but I refuse to consider the $200 payment for our flight change fee as reimbursement for what I paid for that portion of the cruise.) Even if you consider the $300 as the reimbursement (which I was more than willing to do), we are still short at least $70 (depending on how you calculate the lost time).

So yes, I'm complaining about $70. But it's more than that -- I can't figure out why such a high quality cruise line with such an apparent emphasis on customer service is not handling this situation any better. There are lots of other details I could describe (the 1 1/2 hour wait to talk to a rep, the fact that Celebrity changed people's flights without their input and in some cases turned a 5 hour flight into a 10 hour trip, etc.)

wvufan, thanks for your point. I think that is a good one, and I will keep it in mind.

And I see the point -- why should they care about me if I only vacation every 5 years? But I am 35 and have plenty of vacations ahead of me. My husband and I very much enjoyed cruising and certainly plan to do it again (just not in the next year). And we have lots of friends who are interested in cruising and are waiting for our review. Based upon our own experience and what others have told us about other crusie lines, I think that Celebrity is absolutely the best line for us and our friends. But I cannot give an unqualified "absolutely recommend" like I otherwise would -- if they had simply reimbursed me for the lost cruising time and been somewhat nice about it. I don't see how that makes good business sense. Particularly not if the 25% off is such a great deal and is worth more than the $70.

Thanks for the constructive suggestions -- I definitely plan to write a letter (and I will confirm first who the current CEO is -- sounds like a bit of change going on in that office!). Thanks for the info on your situation Hermang, that's helpful. And Pam, I don't disagree with you -- for 50% off, we would probably make the time to do another cruise, but 25% off just doesn't give us that incentive.

And I see the point -- why should they care about me if I only vacation every 5 years? But I am 35 and have plenty of vacations ahead of me. My husband and I very much enjoyed cruising and certainly plan to do it again (just not in the next year). And we have lots of friends who are interested in cruising and are waiting for our review.

Thanks for the constructive suggestions -- I definitely plan to write a letter (and I will confirm first who the current CEO is -- sounds like a bit of change going on in that office!). Thanks for the info on your situation Hermang, that's helpful. And Pam, I don't disagree with you -- for 50% off, we would probably make the time to do another cruise, but 25% off just doesn't give us that incentive.

I am 30 years old myself and probably couldn't afford to take a cruise two years in a row. Just got married, bought our first home......... I think celebrity should take the time to talk to everyone and compensate them accordingly. A 25% off coupon may be great for some but not for all. Not really fair for those people who will not be using the coupon.

We missed a day of our cruise a few times due to hurricanes, and the ship went to a place like Martha's Vineyard, Mass instead of staying in Bermuda. We did not get any compensation for this! I don't know what the circumstances were behind missing the day, but I feel what they are giving you is more than sufficient, I would take it and run! I would love to have that coupon for 25% off! i am sure someone you know will beable to use it! Celebrity really has no control over what happens with the weather, or if the ship had a problem, and they had to get you off for safety reasons, then I would definately check out the travel insurance!

We are 35 and save money so we can cruise every year! Save up the money and take another cruise next spring!

I was on that same cruise -- but I am not unhappy with the deal since it mostly works for me. I can see how someone else would feel they lost more than they are gaining.

I was in an inside cabin which I had booked on a Happy Hour price earlier in the month. My fare was not nearly so much as those in concierge or suites. I was cruising solo so that the whole $300 credit applied to me alone. I was sailing back to back, so I had been to Ketchikan the week before, and in truth was giving up only 1/14th of my cruise.

I did not even take advantage of the "inconvenience" offer. I had booked my own flight arrangements on Southwest,which does not charge a fee for changing flight times. One phone call and I came home a day early.

One thing I must mention, however, in defense of the "transportation consultants" who came on board to help out. I did not rush down there in the first couple of days, and when I did I did not have to stand in line. They were very helpful, and placed my phone call to Southwest for me. But only after they had ascertained for me that I could also change the reservation I had made with the shuttle company from Seattle to Vancouver. This took a couple of phone calls by them and then calls back to my room. I thought it was handled very professionally.

My only complaint about the voucher. It is for 25 percent of a one week cruise and 10 percent of a two-week cruise. Since I always opt for the longer trip, it does not take any more than fifth grade arithmetic to see that I am getting less compensation on that score. Oh well.

Incidentally, we aboard ship who were taking both legs of the cruise, up and down, found out about the change only on Thursday afternoon before end of the northbound cruise on Friday morning. They explained to us that they had been calling all day from corporate office trying to reach TAs to reach their clients and knew that many coming on board the next day would not have heard about it. Apparently it was a quick decision in order to meet a critical need. I do not think Celebrity would have opted to inconvenience or make unhappy that many persons if not deemed necessary. After all, this cost the cruise line a bundle of money -- really big bucks here.

love

joan

at first when I started reading the comments on this board, I didn't think too much about it. as I read more and thought about it further, vouchers are many times useless. you paid cash and should get some sort of a cash refund, although it may not be everything you lost, particularly in a situation where there is a mechanical problem. another example of useless vouchers is when we get notices of class action settlements in the mail where the "settlement" is a voucher towards another purchase, like some AT&T settlement not too long ago where there were vouchers toward a purchase of another cell phone. most people don't use these vouchers. but it's a company's way of "reimbursing" or "settling" without having to pay everyone because many people won't use the vouchers.

We don't go on a vacation every year, although when we do go, it is a cruise, because we like to take a longer cruise which costs more and really enjoy a suite. so a voucher for a cruise in a year would be useless to us.

In this case I don't think it's a sign of the times to complain (although so many times today people do expect money compensation for every imagined ill), as one poster put it, but a sign of the times that companies don't compensate with cash and often just blow off their responsibilities with "vouchers."

years ago I worked for a tug boat company, and when their tugs were contracted to another company but were down for mechanical difficulties or failure, we had to deduct for the days lost because that was considered our problem. if it was an act of God such as weather, then, of course, that was nobody's fault.

Archived