1/18/2013 Gem: Carnival Cruisers New to NCL

Cambrensis

Bear with me ... new to posting pics! But here are some musings from our 1/18 Gem cruise out of NYC.

We had a fantastic time. To get the only negative over with: debarkation was difficult, but it has been pretty well covered on another thread. Nuff said.

This was our first NCL cruise, after 3 cruises on Carnival sister ships Miracle and Pride (also HAL Westerdam – all about same size as Gem). So we -- wife and self; 24 yr old son also with us -- will include a Carnival comparison here and there.

THE SHIP: Beautiful. Décor was understated and tasteful vs. Miracle. Atrium was a little underwhelming (Miracle/Pride has open atrium about 5 levels), but overall terrific. We saw a recent post that indicated the Gem was looking a bit worn. Not at all. Gem is only 5 years old and has been well maintained. Very clean, and very little evidence of wear-and-tear. Cleaning and maintenance staff were visible and hard working.

THIS SAILING: The 9-day itinerary out of NY was just perfect. Great destinations (only one – St Maarten – which we had visited) and 2 sea days going and coming was the ultimate in relaxation.

The ship was FULL. Felt a little crowded but not an issue overall. Probably 30-50% Jewish passengers, and the Magenta dining room was set aside for private kosher dining most of the time, and wrapped kosher meals were also offered in the Garden Café. Lots of kids (some of them well behaved). Wide range of ages vs. our HAL experience when we (50ish) felt like we were the youngsters.

003.JPG

DAY 1: We parked in Jersey and were delivered to the terminal at 10:30 by my cousin – saved a lot of hassle and parking expense = NICE. Security and check in were a breeze, but they were not set up to tag wine bottles (we brought 4 favorites, more on wine later) and we waited around for 20-30 minutes until someone finally arrived. By 11:45 we were in the Garden Café, which was not at all crowded yet, and enjoyed a nice lunch at a windowside table, and were delighted that about 1:00 we were told our cabin was ready. So we went to our Starboard side cabin (11134 mini suite), watched our fellow cruisers on the Jewel get ready for THEIR cruise -- and took a delicious nap.

010.JPG

OUR CABIN: We did a GTY cabin for the first time and it was perfect – and saved a couple $100. 11134 is aft --- so a long walk to some things, like Stardust Theatre – but only steps away from Garden Café on Level 12 and open decks. Occasional footsteps – running children – from Garden Café above, and I think we were hearing the basketball court 2 levels up. But overall very quiet, and VERY convenient.

The NCL mini suites are most comparable to the Carnival extended balcony cabins – but even after suites on both Carnival and HAL, we were not disappointed. The full bath was spacious, and the balcony accommodated 2 chairs, a lounge, and a small coffee table. Lots of storage and lighting. We did wipe down some services with disinfectant wipes – 50 cents worth of wipes and a few minutes time is cheap piece of mind.

Mandatory drill in Grand Pacific at 3:30, NICE to be indoors (it was 28F by the time we departed) and then back to cabin to unpack (all bags arrived by 4:30) and met our steward, Herbert, who I can truly say was the best ever. Not overbearing, just friendly and helpful, and he had our fridge emptied of minibar stuff real quick.

We watched the dockhands load the last of the provisions – onions, oranges, melons, and lots of boxes –

005.JPG

and 1 hour behind schedule – 5:00 – we heard the awesome blast of the ship’s horn and were off.

024.JPG

The NCL Jewel was right behind us.

I went up to aft deck 12 to take pictures, and it was COLD! But I got a couple of shots of Lady Liberty at sundown, we passed under the Verrazano bridge – and over the next few hours watched the lights on NJ coast recede into the distance.

DS went to the sailaway party on Deck 12 poolside, and around 6:30 we went to dinner. Magenta was closed for private function, Grand Pacific was (understandably) packed – so we went to Blue Lagoon. And yes, the chicken wings really are that good. DW and I had a margarita and Caipiranha (the latter about 3 swallows, but the only so-so drink all week), and DS bought a soda card – WELL WORTH IT.

While DS went to solo cruisers event (no one there!), we went to 7:00 show. Song and dance, Nickolodeon characters, and comedian Jeff Harms. Fun! Walked around ship; visited very nice library – DW is a librarian – and then to (second (!)) dinner in Grand Pacific. Yes, I know it is not a real lobster – but along with the snapper and cream of mushroom soup, and Caesar salads – all around pretty good. DS had roast chicken, and requested a substitution of green beans which was happily accommodated. Carnival comparison: I say comparable or better; DS says Carnival dining room food is better.

075.JPG

By 10:00 we were in our room and asleep not long thereafter. DS? Not on your life. I wear earplugs and have no idea when he got in – but he had a blast, and with seemingly endless burgers and fries on hand, he was happier than a pig in slop (with no offense intended to the pig).

Good night. More later.

023.JPG

I am enjoying your update very much! We are all set for our cruise in may and Cannot wait!! My only concern is I saw Jeff Harms in April 2012...so you know when he is on the ship until?

I don't know his sched. But if you are concerned about a repeat performance ... there is SO much entertainment on this 9-day cruise, even if you pass on his show ... there is lots more! DW went to most shows -- I only went to 3 or so. All good.

Thank you for the beautiful pictures and review. I will be on the Gem in early May and I can hardly wait. This is going to be so much fun. I think that a friend of mine was on your cruise as an entertainer. Michael plays the piano without anything to it. Really nice man.

Looking forward to your review. I am thinking about the Gem so we can drive to port. Glad to hear you had a good time. We travel with our daughters (23 and 25) a lot, so we know about them coming in in the middle of the night;)

Thank you for the beautiful pictures and review. I will be on the Gem in early May and I can hardly wait. This is going to be so much fun. I think that a friend of mine was on your cruise as an entertainer. Michael plays the piano without anything to it. Really nice man.

He was indeed! We really enjoyed the live music ... it just seemed to drift through the ship as we walked about in the evening.

Hi we have been on many cruises mostly NCL...leaving on the 14th on the Gem. Can you tell me if they had Sunday mass when you were on. We have experienced both with and with out. Thanks.

I'm sorry, I don't know. There was not one listed in the Freestyle Daily. There were Jewish Shabat services on Saturday.

Archived