current safety concerns with mexico crusie

cruiseluver007

Again, to be fair, let's take a look at Nassau. Far more incidents of cruise passengers being assaulted and raped than most other ports, but cruises are still going there, and the news is not attacking them as they are Mexico.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/tags/nassau/

I agree with you; I am certain that there are other ports that are equally dangerous but stay on the itineraries. I believe that there are economic issues, cruise line investments, cost considerations, revenue sharing etc. that also drive these decisions in addition to concerns for passenger safety.

• 11 months later...
Bad info here.

NCL doesn't have any ships doing the West coast of Mexico since the Star was moved.

The repositioning cruises are though . We are booked April 2015 and are scheduled to stop in Acapulco, Huatulco, then Cabo. We were surprised to see Acapulco on the itinerary, but excited as we were there before and are not fearful of doing so.

The repositioning cruises are though . We are booked April 2015 and are scheduled to stop in Acapulco, Huatulco, then Cabo. We were surprised to see Acapulco on the itinerary, but excited as we were there before and are not fearful of doing so.

Actually, the Star has resumed Mexican Riviera cruises, which is why I am asking! :)

Looks like NCL is stopping at Mazatlan during their upcoming Mexican Riviera cruise. Has the crime situation changed there since this thread was last active?

This thread cited 2011 statistics for the 50 most dangerous city based solely on murder rates per 100,000 population. Mazatlan was 15th on that list. 2012 data is available and was published in Feb, 2013. Keep in mind that this only looks at murder rates. It doesn't appear that anybody sees the need to analyze other violent crime across the globe. (Note- Cities currently in war zones and the entire Middle East were not included)

For 2012: Mexico had 6 cities in the top 20 (Acapulco being the only traditional tourist destination) with a total of 9 Mexican cities in the top 50. The US had 1 city in the top 20 with a total of 6 (including San Juan) in the top 50.

#1 San Pedro Sula, Honduras at 169 per 100K for 1,218 murders.

#2 Acapulco, Mexico at 143 per 100K for 1,170 murders.

#17 New Orleans, US at 56.13 per 100K for 193 murders.

#21 Detroit, US at 54.63 per 100K for 386 murders.

#25 Kingston, Jamaica at 48,48 per 100K for 568 murders.

#33 San Juan, PR at 43.25 per 100K for 185 murders.

#40 St, Louis, US at 35.39 per 100K for 113 murders.

#41 Baltimore, US at 35.03 per100K for 217 murders.

#43 Oakland, US at 33.10 per 100K for 131 murders.

Mazatlan went from #11 in 2011 to off the list in 2012. I guess you could say things have improved.

Just returned from cruise with stops in Mazatlan, La Paz, Topolobampo, Guaymas, Loreto, and Cabo San Lucas. We felt perfectly safe in all ports. In Mazatlan we took a tour out of the city to Copola and Concordia...delightful little towns and the people there were very welcoming. We spoke to one B&B owner who told us to tell our friends to come to visit again...their economy has really been hurt by the lack of tourists. There was quite a police presence in every port and I think they are trying their best to make tourists feel confident.

It is interesting to note that this thread is still active. I have many Mexican business associates and friends and they all pretty much agree that there has been a significant improvement in the overall safety and security situation in Mexico. Things seem to be improving and there are probably a lot of underlying reasons for this, none of which the casual visitor will ever truly understand.

Visitors should always make decisions based on their comfort level and after their own careful research. The natural wonders of Mexico are amazing and the vast majority of people are wonderful. I truly hope that this trend continues and Mexico regains traction with their tourism industry.

It is interesting to note that this thread is still active. I have many Mexican business associates and friends and they all pretty much agree that there has been a significant improvement in the overall safety and security situation in Mexico. Things seem to be improving and there are probably a lot of underlying reasons for this, none of which the casual visitor will ever truly understand.

Visitors should always make decisions based on their comfort level and after their own careful research. The natural wonders of Mexico are amazing and the vast majority of people are wonderful. I truly hope that this trend continues and Mexico regains traction with their tourism industry.

I bumped this thread because I have never visited Mexico, and as a solo traveler, I love to explore but also don't want to put myself in a bad situation. I can appreciate that many people are irrationally afraid and paint the entirety of Mexico with the same brush, and I very much didn't want to make assumptions that would unnecessarily constrain my travels! I appreciate your input! :)

I bumped this thread because I have never visited Mexico, and as a solo traveler, I love to explore but also don't want to put myself in a bad situation. I can appreciate that many people are irrationally afraid and paint the entirety of Mexico with the same brush, and I very much didn't want to make assumptions that would unnecessarily constrain my travels! I appreciate your input! :)

I can only speak to Puerto Vallarta (our winter home where we are right now). But my safety concern here remains the same it has been for the past 8 seasons. I do worry about my ability to walk home after dinner and a few margaritas. The sidewalks can truly be killers....after a few drinks. But the good news is that the city has actually improved the sidewalks over the past 5 years so we now think the risk of another margarita is justified :)

Now before you start thinking our post sounds like what you would hear from kids, I should mention that we are "seniors." I would add that all of our local friends are also "seniors" but somehow manage the sidewalks quite fine.

Hank

I heard that sharp increases in port fees was the reason that the cruise ships abandoned Mazatlan.

My wife and I enjoyed our visit to Mazatlan last time we went there on a cruise, and now we are returning to the Mexican Riviera next month with Holland America. This includes a stop at Mazatlan.

We will take the normal reasonable precautions, but as others have pointed out the concerns are greater in the Bahamas and some parts of the Caribbean.

igraf

I heard that sharp increases in port fees was the reason that the cruise ships abandoned Mazatlan.

My wife and I enjoyed our visit to Mazatlan last time we went there on a cruise, and now we are returning to the Mexican Riviera next month with Holland America. This includes a stop at Mazatlan.

We will take the normal reasonable precautions, but as others have pointed out the concerns are greater in the Bahamas and some parts of the Caribbean.

igraf

Hi there --- I agree with you. I am returning on NCL Star and I have no concerns whatever. I am a solo female traveler, and in my experience, there are far more dangerous places, especially for women, than Mexico. I have never, ever had a problem in Mexico, traveling solo in 20 years.

Places I have encountered problems as a single lady traveler, are:

1. Indonesia

2. Egypt

3. Malaysia

(Anyone seeing the pattern here?)

I have also encountered some scary situations in the Caribbean, but maybe it was either my gift of gab that saved my butt, or they figured I would be just too much trouble. :p

For anyone that is concerned about travel to Mexico, I want to assure you that in spite of all the hysteria, Mexico is still safe for Americans and Canadians.

A few years ago, I went to Tijuana, in the middle of the "crisis" and stayed for a week and a half to have some serious dental work done. Not a single problem. and that's TIJUANA!!! (Tijuana is considered one of the most dangerous cities in the world at any time.) So, if you need dental work and want to go to Tijuana here are my recommendations: Hotel Azteca --fantastic midpriced hotel with wonderful restaurant. For dental work: Dr. de la Vega. He speaks perfect English and French. He was trained in the US. My teeth are gorgeous. He's kind of an egomaniac but who cares as long as he does your teeth beautiful and right.

I truly believe in the basic goodness of a) the Mexican people and b) the ability of other people to step up and in, when necessary.

But to ease minds I am posting the lists of American consulates and for our Canadians friends, theirs as well.

The list of American Consuls in Mexico:

http://www.state.gov/p/wha/ci/mx/c3063.htm

The list of Canadian Consuls in Mexico:

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/mexico-mexique/index.aspx

Edited by artist47

Hi ariel. I am a single, lady traveler like yourself. If you have not already, please see my post just above this one.

I hope you will find comfort in what I say. I see that you are going on 3/2 on the Star. I will be following you on 3/16. I wish you every happiness on your cruise and in your life, and I really hope that what I say eases your mind.

Best wishes from a fellow solo lady cruiser,

artist

Hi ariel. I am a single, lady traveler like yourself. If you have not already, please see my post just above this one.

I hope you will find comfort in what I say. I see that you are going on 3/2 on the Star. I will be following you on 3/16. I wish you every happiness on your cruise and in your life, and I really hope that what I say eases your mind.

Best wishes from a fellow solo lady cruiser,

artist

Hi artist. I really appreciated all of your comments. I plan on having an excellent cruise! I am very excited! I hope you enjoy yours as well! :D

Hi artist. I really appreciated all of your comments. I plan on having an excellent cruise! I am very excited! I hope you enjoy yours as well! :D

Say a toast to me at your sailaway, and I will toast to you at mine! Very best regards to you!

DW and I will be on the Star 3/9 between you two ladies. I plan to take the local bus in Mazatlan to the Mercado, then return to the port area and take a water taxi to Stone Island. If you haven't been there, it is almost like going back about 50 years to the OLD Mexico. Have a good cruise !!!

Artist -- If you go downtown Puerto Vallarta, there is a very nice lady artist who works on the Island under the bridge and she paints cats in almost all of her art. She has been there over 30 years.

Edited by swedish weave

DW and I will be on the Star 3/9 between you two ladies. I plan to take the local bus in Mazatlan to the Mercado, then return to the port area and take a water taxi to Stone Island. If you haven't been there, it is almost like going back about 50 years to the OLD Mexico. Have a good cruise !!!

Artist -- If you go downtown Puerto Vallarta, there is a very nice lady artist who works on the Island under the bridge and she paints cats in almost all of her art. She has been there over 30 years.

Isn't it weird to visit Cabo off a cruise ship when you spend so much time there? I use it as my re-stocking point, I bring down things I can't find there and my friends and I are like mules taking stuff to my condo. I've decided I can't do it anymore. If I'm in Cabo, I'm there to stay for awhile.:D

Thank for the tips SW ! and yes, I will definitely look for her....I will probably take my easel ashore to do some painting in all ports...i will make sure to tell her you said hello --- if two of us are painting, people are more apt to buy...from HER....I'll try to help her drum up some sales ;)

Agreed on the Stone Island trip -- I am planning on doing some painting there too.

Will toast you at my sailaway also!

Happy cruising!

I wish I was going to Stone Island. I'd be heading to Victors for some great food...and a few ice cold Pacificos. Hope you have a wonderful cruise and a great time on Stone Island!

Isn't it weird to visit Cabo off a cruise ship when you spend so much time there? I use it as my re-stocking point, I bring down things I can't find there and my friends and I are like mules taking stuff to my condo. I've decided I can't do it anymore. If I'm in Cabo, I'm there to stay for awhile.:D

It is sort of like dipping your toe into the water instead of swimming in it. Cabo is good for me even if it is only the few hours the ship stays there !!!

Maybe some day I will decide there are better things than cruising, but I am still hooked on the "ship trips" !!!!

I wish I was going to Stone Island. I'd be heading to Victors for some great food...and a few ice cold Pacificos. Hope you have a wonderful cruise and a great time on Stone Island!

It's not too late to toss your rags in a bag and join us !!!