Reflection and the Alcoves

BigDaddy2002

As for loud & obnoxious, adults can be the same way, which would annoy me just as much.

Yes they can. But we did not experience that in or around the alcoves on our cruise. I have however, many times, experienced loud and obnoxious kids around the pool (which is fine, it's the pool, it's expected), so we enjoyed the relative peace and calm of the alcoves, which happened not to have any children in them that we saw.

When renting an Alcove, can you have your children with you? One post seemed to imply kids were not allowed, however, I cannot find this in writing in the website and I have reserved the full week of Alcove for myself, grandmother and daughter. Awkward if daughter cannot join.

You can absolutely have your children at the Alcove. It was a wonderful meeting point and place to gather a relax for my family (husband, self, and 13 year old son), on our recent cruise on the Reflection.:)

Enjoy!

• 9 months later...

I know it is a year old thread but, it helped me a lot today, so i wanted to thank everyone for their input.

I was able to reserve an alcove for our 2 sea day for this summer greek sail & med cruise , by calling dinning department.

They also offered a 20% rebate, that would be put as a credit on my account on board if i wanted to reserve and pay for the full 12 days. I decline, it is a very port intensive cruise and wold not use it much on port day.

can't wait to try celebrity ! :cool:

As always, I really appreciate all the great info and opinions here. Someone else mentioned this, but I was told by Celebrity that I would be able to book the Alcoves for my September Reflection cruise on line at least 2 months in advance and maybe sooner. I've checked regularly and they still were not available so for the heck of it I called Celebrity this week. They in fact were open for booking throught Specialty Dining (800-722-5941) and I snagged the last one for one of the days I wanted.

I did more research and found info about the picnic baskets in the following link. Not sure how current the pricing is.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/e-lite/CEL/CE_Incentive_Meeting_Charters_eSales_Kit/New_Resources/Alcoves_and_Picnic_Basket_Rates_Flyer.pdf

I have to agree with Librarylady19 (who can disagree with her?).

I think X really messed up on this one.

-they are not 'space' friendly and restrict what was initially designed as

an open public area.

- they are too far from the pool which for me would be a main reason for renting them (avoiding pool chair shortages)

- they are relatively expensive for a couple for the complete week- the only way I would see a reasonable cost benefit is if we were cruising with 4 or more people and wanted a space that could be shared

-on our last Ref cruise in Carib they were empty(only X knows how financially attractive these are to them)

- Princess has the Sanctuary which is tremendous. Luxury chaise and table

waiter service, ipods, all that stuff adjacent to pool and around 250 week for couple -sign me up

- NCL EPIC has Posh, next to pool (private elevator) around 150 a week-sign me up

I really wish that X would follow the Princess lead and have a space like the Sanctuary or alternatively Epic's Posh.

JMHO

I have to agree with Librarylady19 (who can disagree with her?).

an open public area.

- they are too far from the pool which for me would be a main reason for renting them (avoiding pool chair shortages)

- they are relatively expensive for a couple for the complete week- the only way I would see a reasonable cost benefit is if we were cruising with 4 or more people and wanted a space that could be shared

-on our last Ref cruise in Carib they were empty(only X knows how financially attractive these are to them)

- Princess has the Sanctuary which is tremendous. Luxury chaise and table

waiter service, ipods, all that stuff adjacent to pool and around 250 week for couple -sign me up

- NCL EPIC has Posh, next to pool (private elevator) around 150 a week-sign me up

I really wish that X would follow the Princess lead and have a space like the Sanctuary or alternatively Epic's Posh.

JMHO

When we were on the Caribbean Princess (twice) and Crown Princess , we booked the Sanctuary for the week- it wasn't cheap. In addition you had to walk down stairs to go the the very small adult pool which was always crowded. We did however enjoy the Sanctuary and really enjoy the alcoves on the Silhouette and Reflection. The cost of the alcoves is $99 port days and $150 sea days- but you get a 20% discount for the week. They also can comfortably accomadate 4 adults- so it really isn't as expensive as you might think. Yes, the pool is down stairs- but after our usual 20 minutes in the hot tub and pool a nice place for rest and relaxation. We also enjoy lunch at the lawn grill when we are in the alcove. Never sailed on NCL.

We however, do not spend money on costly shore excursions as we have been to each island multiple times. While we might walk around the dockyards for a hour or so, the ship is our resort and destination.

Whatever makes a person happy is great! We all have options.

Edited by Cruise a holic

an open public area.

Here we go again....

1. I'm still waiting for someone to tell me exactly how the alcoves restrict "space designed to be an open, public area." There is still a HUGE, OPEN LAWN AREA in the center of the alcoves! People can use it; it is not restricted in any way. What I've heard in the past, specifically:

--Ropes block access: Sometimes certain areas of grass need to recover from wear and tear so are blocked off. The entire lawn is never blocked off though. This (areas needing rest) is true whether there are alcoves or not.

--You can't see the ocean from the middle (open) lawn area: First of all, the view isn't entirely blocked, but even so, if your goal is to look at the ocean you can do so from the walkway behind the alcoves, or from the rear lawn areas nearest the Sunset Bar where there are no alcoves.

--"But I don't want to stand at the rail, I want to lie out on my towel in the sun." Ok, but if you're sunbathing you probably have your eyes closed and aren't looking at the ocean anyway.

2. Too far from the pool?? The lawn is in the same place, whether a particular ship has alcoves or not. If you have a complaint about adequate pool seating, you can't blame it on the fact that there are alcoves on the deck above on the lawn.

3. Too expensive: That is a subjective conclusion. Some people think suites are too expensive, some think specialty dining is too expensive, some think the drink packages are too expensive. The alcoves frequently sell out (there was a waiting list to reserve one for our 2/22 Reflection sailing) so apparently there are plenty of people who do NOT find them to be too expensive. Sometimes multiple alcoves were empty, but it doesn't mean they weren't rented. Not everyone who rents an alcove uses it for 12 hours straight every day that they've rented it.

we had one on our reflection cruise, and the ONLY negative was not being able to put the top up. It was too windy that day, but some days it was calm enough that you could have.

the alcove "haters" are the people who are NOT using the alcove.

If they're too expensive, don't book one.

you can still walk all around if you aren't in one, and lots of lawn is available.

in my biased opinion they are a great addition to the amenities on ship, available to everyone, and yes, a little over-priced but still worth it. (what's NOT over priced on a cruise ship)?

Here we go again....

1. I'm still waiting for someone to tell me exactly how the alcoves restrict "space designed to be an open, public area." There is still a HUGE, OPEN LAWN AREA in the center of the alcoves! People can use it; it is not restricted in any way. What I've heard in the past, specifically:

--Ropes block access: Sometimes certain areas of grass need to recover from wear and tear so are blocked off. The entire lawn is never blocked off though. This (areas needing rest) is true whether there are alcoves or not.

--You can't see the ocean from the middle (open) lawn area: First of all, the view isn't entirely blocked, but even so, if your goal is to look at the ocean you can do so from the walkway behind the alcoves, or from the rear lawn areas nearest the Sunset Bar where there are no alcoves.

--"But I don't want to stand at the rail, I want to lie out on my towel in the sun." Ok, but if you're sunbathing you probably have your eyes closed and aren't looking at the ocean anyway.

2. Too far from the pool?? The lawn is in the same place, whether a particular ship has alcoves or not. If you have a complaint about adequate pool seating, you can't blame it on the fact that there are alcoves on the deck above on the lawn.

3. Too expensive: That is a subjective conclusion. Some people think suites are too expensive, some think specialty dining is too expensive, some think the drink packages are too expensive. The alcoves frequently sell out (there was a waiting list to reserve one for our 2/22 Reflection sailing) so apparently there are plenty of people who do NOT find them to be too expensive. Sometimes multiple alcoves were empty, but it doesn't mean they weren't rented. Not everyone who rents an alcove uses it for 12 hours straight every day that they've rented it.

Feels like a struck a nerve. Of course my comments are my opinion and that is all it is. Many will disagree. I tried to support my comments from my view point.

Yes, I think they are too far from pool. My wife and I like to use these restricted areas as a 'guaranteed' area to lounge where we can quickly get to the pool and swim a bit and then return to sun or read. The alcoves did seem too far. Also the wind issue ie. open /not open canopies is a concern.

I am not blaming the Alcoves for pool seating issues which seem prevalent on all ships. In fact for us this is a primary reason for seeking an alternative venue to guarantee seating.

For us 600-900 a week for two for a place to sit and sun is expensive particularly compared to marginal cost for Sanctuary and Posh (especially since we have a balcony) Again for four or more people I understand that the cost pp is less. While not totally objective, I am comparing the Alcove cost for two against competing product on different lines that we happily use and pay for.

I am not hung up on the space usage for Alcoves. To my sense it doesn't seem aesthetically pleasing to have the lawn area 'cut up' . Bottom line is the Alcoves don't distract from my cruise enjoyment and I understand that some like them and want to use them. For me, the product is a disappointment for the above reasons and I would have welcomed a product like the Sanctuary or Posh.

Definitely reserve in advance. We decided on our 2nd day aboard Reflection we would like to reserve one..... TO LATE. They were all booked for the entire week. They put us on the waitlist but never got a call.

Feels like a struck a nerve.

I am not hung up on the space usage for Alcoves.....For me, the product is a disappointment for the above reasons

Fair enough. I just get tired of hearing people complain from the perspective of "we can't use the lawn because of the alcoves and therefore the alcoves are horrible" when that simply isn't true at all. Often I think it's just sour grapes... people choose not to spend the money for them, but then want to b*tch and moan when OTHER people DO choose to spend the money. Maybe they're just jealous or something.

I do agree that it would be nice to have a pool nearby, but we'll take the pool-less alcoves over the crowded pool deck any day. :)

Hi .. we are on Reflection July Rome to Greek Isles .. just tried to call to see about availability & were told that you could only reserve once on the ship, no prebooking. Is that correct, does anyone know? I thought you booked ahead. Thanks!! Also, for those past Reflection cruisers, do you know if they offer pilates exercise classes on Reflection? Thanks again!!

open for booking throught Specialty Dining (800-722-5941) and I snagged the last one for one of the days I wanted.

I did more research and found info about the picnic baskets in the following link. Not sure how current the pricing is.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/e-lite/CEL/CE_Incentive_Meeting_Charters_eSales_Kit/New_Resources/Alcoves_and_Picnic_Basket_Rates_Flyer.pdf

Hi .. we are on Reflection July Rome to Greek Isles .. just tried to call to see about availability & were told that you could only reserve once on the ship, no prebooking. Is that correct, does anyone know? I thought you booked ahead. Thanks!! Also, for those past Reflection cruisers, do you know if they offer pilates exercise classes on Reflection? Thanks again!!

Try this number~~~

Wondering if this is the way to go on our days at sea for up coming Med Cruise this May. Has anyone experienced "sun lounger hogs" around the pool area Reflection Mediterranean cruise? We like the pool area but this will guarantee a spot to lounge all day ... decisions decisions

Sent from my KFSOWI using Forums mobile app

Wondering if this is the way to go on our days at sea for up coming Med Cruise this May. Has anyone experienced "sun lounger hogs" around the pool area Reflection Mediterranean cruise? We like the pool area but this will guarantee a spot to lounge all day ... decisions decisions

Sent from my KFSOWI using Forums mobile app

We were not in the Med last Nov, but there are not many loungers around the pool. They were 'laid claim to' :rolleyes: very early in the morning. Just like every other cruise we have taken.

We are also on Reflection to Eastern Med. in July. I was able to book an alcove for one of the sea days by calling the # for booking specialty restaurants.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Fair enough. I just get tired of hearing people complain from the perspective of "we can't use the lawn because of the alcoves and therefore the alcoves are horrible" when that simply isn't true at all. Often I think it's just sour grapes... people choose not to spend the money for them, but then want to b*tch and moan when OTHER people DO choose to spend the money. Maybe they're just jealous or something.

I do agree that it would be nice to have a pool nearby, but we'll take the pool-less alcoves over the crowded pool deck any day. :)

Understood. That is similar to compaining about all the space dedicated to specialty restaurants for those who don't use them or BLU for those not in Aqua Class. X and the S class ships remain our favorites and the drink package inclusion our best 'inducement'. That said Princess really put together a nice concept with the Sanctuary and I wish X could have followed. I don't think the S class ships were laid out for something like this so the Alcoves used what space was available. For me some type of guaranteed premium seating near the pool would be perfect (speaking of warm climate cruises of course) Sign me up for Pool Class. Instead of Blu you get a lounger with your name on it.

From our perspective its not sour grapes. We are not 'b*tching' or moaning when others spend the money to use them, we are unhappy that they are there full stop. The S class, whilst beautiful, is lacking in deck space given its capacity. At least the lawn provides an overflow for those that cannot find a space by the pool and give an amenity by way of lawn games,

The alcoves, further reduce the available deck space and limit games. So a very few people benefit from that nice area while many many more people have their options compromised.

Whilst the alcoves are a chargeable option, I cannot see it making much in terms of revenue given the bad feeling it creates. That area wasnt designed to have alcoves when the S class was planned, its just a very small revenue stream that benefits a tiny majority who pay for it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

were told that you could only reserve once on the ship, no prebooking. Is that correct, does anyone know?

No, it is not correct. We booked in advance both times we sailed on Reflection. You reserve through specialty dining reservations but have to call, you can't do it online.

From our perspective its not sour grapes. We are not 'b*tching' or moaning

The alcoves, further reduce the available deck space and limit games. So a very few people benefit from that nice area while many many more people have their options compromised.

Sorry, but I just don't see how all these people are having their options compromised. If the lawn was full every day, one could possibly argue that they need the alcove space for more people to enjoy the lawn. The problems with that argument are:

1. The lawn has never been full! Every day of both cruises on Reflection, there was always PLENTY of lawn space remaining. The reality of it is that very few people utilize the open lawn. Likewise, on my two Solstice cruises, we NEVER saw the lawn anywhere near full of people.

2. There is still plenty of room for lawn games. They played a guest/officer bocce tourney one morning on the main lawn....plenty of room even with the alcoves. There are also two side lawns that again, were never full and were available for games.

3. Even if the lawn was full and one tried to argue that the alcove space was needed for pax, then- oh wait, pax already use that part of the lawn, albeit it in their alcoves, so can't really see how many more people would be accommodated in those particular areas if they were removed.

Whilst the alcoves are a chargeable option, I cannot see it making much in terms of revenue given the bad feeling it creates. That area wasnt designed to have alcoves when the S class was planned, its just a very small revenue stream that benefits a tiny majority who pay for it.

The alcoves were sold out on our recent sailing. There are 10 alcoves. They are $99 for each port day and there were 3 port days, and $149 for each of the 3 sea days. (10 x $99 x 3) + (10 x $149 x 3) = $7440. I know they won't all be sold out every single day, but if they sell out 150 days/year, that's over a million dollars....not exactly what I'd call a very small revenue stream! And again.... this for space that previously brought in ZERO revenue. And saying it benefits only the tiny majority who pay? When the remaining lawn area goes largely unused? That's when it starts to sound like sour grapes.

Still waiting for someone, anyone, to tell me specifically how they personally wanted to use the lawn on a given day, but couldn't because of the alcoves.....

The alcoves were sold out on the Reflection for the March 8 2014 sailing. They were all reserved ahead of time. We were put on a waiting list which never opened up.

I missed having them - I think they are lovely and always enjoy them.

Barbara