Reciprocity fee for Argentina

ncsongbird

A word of warning: after you pay your reciprocity fee online for entry into Argentina bring at least two copies of your receipt with you and also keep a separate record of the number of your receipt. We cleared immigration in Argentina at EZE and the immigration agent did not record the number in our passport or in their system. When we flew back to EZE from Santiago 2 weeks later, they asked for proof of payment. We had assumed they had recorded when we gave the receipt to the agent. Luckily my husband had the confirmation email with his number but I didn't have mine. The agent spoke no English and was happy to just sit there while we scrambled trying to find my number. Finally, another agent who spoke English, called someone else who took my passport and then returned 10 minutes later with my confirmation number. You can be sure we have those numbers recorded if we ever return to Argentina in the next 10 years.

I flew into Buenos Aires (EZE) several weeks ago. You can bet I had copies of my receipt for the reciprocity fee in several different places, including a copy that I'd folded in with my passport.

If I recall correctly, the receipt had a bar code on it that was read electronically at EZE . . .and then the agent gave me back the receipt.

I flew into Buenos Aires (EZE) several weeks ago. You can bet I had copies of my receipt for the reciprocity fee in several different places, including a copy that I'd folded in with my passport.

If I recall correctly, the receipt had a bar code on it that was read electronically at EZE . . .and then the agent gave me back the receipt.

That was our problem...the agent never gave us back the receipt.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone booked on a 2014 SA sailing (after the cruise-entry fee will be in effect)? My wife and I are booked on a Valpo-BA in Feb of next year, and while Princess has a notification regarding the Chile fee, there's nothing (yet) about the Argentine fee.

I was curious if anyone has booked on a different line and whether than line has such a notification. Since our first Argentine port of call is Ushuaia, I'm curious if there is any projected impact on the entry procedure (as opposed to arriving/debarking in BA where it would seem to be more in line with the procedure at Santiago).

Since our first Argentine port of call is Ushuaia, I'm curious if there is any projected impact on the entry procedure (as opposed to arriving/debarking in BA where it would seem to be more in line with the procedure at Santiago).

If you are asking if enforcement is likely to be limited to Buenos Aires, the answer is no. The posted regulations are quite clear that the fee will apply to all points of entry, by land, sea or air. The new regulations are already in place for anyone entering Argentina by any means other than cruise ship and enforcement has been country-wide (Iguazu, Mendoza, and so forth). I anticipate the rules will be enforced for cruise passengers as well, regardless of port.

Then again, rules are one thing. Enforcement another. Who knows what immigration people in Ushuaia might do on any given day?

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone booked on a 2014 SA sailing (after the cruise-entry fee will be in effect)? My wife and I are booked on a Valpo-BA in Feb of next year, and while Princess has a notification regarding the Chile fee, there's nothing (yet) about the Argentine fee.

I was curious if anyone has booked on a different line and whether than line has such a notification. Since our first Argentine port of call is Ushuaia, I'm curious if there is any projected impact on the entry procedure (as opposed to arriving/debarking in BA where it would seem to be more in line with the procedure at Santiago).

spacer.gif

I recently booked a March 2014 cruise from SA to LA which can be booked as a b2b via Valparaiso & here's the info I received with my reservation:

ARGENTINA : RECIPROCITY FEE REQ'D IF ARRIVING BY AIR. SEE

NOTIFICATIONS.

CHILE : RECIPROCITY FEE REQ'D IF ARRIVING BY AIR. SEE

NOTIFICATIONS.

ARGENTINA RECIPROCITY FEE

Please review the following information regarding the reciprocity entry fee

applicable to U.S., Canadian and Australian passport holders arriving by air

into Argentina:

U.S.: USD $160 per person valid for 10 years from first entry date

Canada: USD $75 per person for 1 entry/USD $150 per person valid for 5 years

from first entry date

Australia: USD $100 per person valid for 1 year from first entry date

Effective November 1, 2012, U.S., Canadian, and Australian passport holders

visiting Argentina will be required to pay the reciprocity fee online at

https://virtual.provinciapagos.com.ar/ArgentineTaxes/. The fee must be paid

with a credit card. Once paid, the passenger must print the electronic receipt

and present it upon arrival in Argentina. Passengers arriving without the

electronic receipt will be denied entry into Argentina.

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

I recently booked a March 2014 cruise from SA to LA which can be booked as a b2b via Valparaiso & here's the info I received with my reservation:

ARGENTINA : RECIPROCITY FEE REQ'D IF ARRIVING BY AIR. SEE

NOTIFICATIONS.

CHILE : RECIPROCITY FEE REQ'D IF ARRIVING BY AIR. SEE

NOTIFICATIONS.

ARGENTINA RECIPROCITY FEE

Please review the following information regarding the reciprocity entry fee

applicable to U.S., Canadian and Australian passport holders arriving by air

into Argentina:

U.S.: USD $160 per person valid for 10 years from first entry date

Canada: USD $75 per person for 1 entry/USD $150 per person valid for 5 years

from first entry date

Australia: USD $100 per person valid for 1 year from first entry date

Effective November 1, 2012, U.S., Canadian, and Australian passport holders

visiting Argentina will be required to pay the reciprocity fee online at

https://virtual.provinciapagos.com.ar/ArgentineTaxes/. The fee must be paid

with a credit card. Once paid, the passenger must print the electronic receipt

and present it upon arrival in Argentina. Passengers arriving without the

electronic receipt will be denied entry into Argentina.

spacer.gif

It is probably better for Princess to offer no information than to offer misleading or incorrect information. By the time your cruise takes place, the reciprocity fee will not be limited to passengers arriving by air, as their notice indicates. It applies to every passenger from the USA, Canada and Australia arriving at ALL points of entry, including cruise lines.

Here is the statement on the US Dept of State's website with the correct information:

ENTRY / EXIT REQUIREMENTS FOR U.S. CITIZENS: A valid passport is required for U.S. citizens to enter Argentina. U.S. citizens do not need a visa for visits of up to 90 days for tourism or business. As a result of a recent change in Argentine law, prior to arrival in Argentina at any entry point, U.S. citizen tourist and business travelers must pay a $160 reciprocity fee by credit card online at the Provincia Pagos website . Once paid, you must print out the receipt and present it to the Argentine immigration officer at the time of entry.The fee is valid for ten years from the date of payment and multiple entries. Until June 30, 2013, passengers on cruise lines entering the country are exempt from paying the fee. The fee applies only to bearers of tourist passports. Travelers bearing diplomatic or official passports are required to get visas prior to arrival in Argentina but are not charged the reciprocity fee, nor are travelers transiting and not entering Argentina.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1130.html

Thanks 'Dr. Dawggy' for the current info & I shouldn't have posted without confirming the info Princess posted. As you said it's better for Princess to not give info if they're not going to keep it updated. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Archived