Half Moon and Grand Turk cancelled on the same cruise?

wallypbear

Just wondering what would happen if both ports of Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk were cancelled because of sea/weather conditions. Would the 5 day cruise only go to Nassau with 3 sea days?

Half Moon Cay being cancelled would be the more likely scenario because that is a tender port. It would be more unusual for Grand Turk to be cancelled, but it could happen. Where you would go instead would depend on weather conditions and availability of a place to dock the ship. Overnighting in Nassau might be a possibility. A call at Freeport might also be an option. I wish you smooth sailing!

Last April we were on that exact cruise and both ports were cancelled. After a day and a half steaming to Grand Turk, high winds made it impossible to safely dock the ship, so we turned and headed to HMC. That evening at dinner, we were advised that similar conditions would make tendering impossible, so we proceeded directly to Nassau for an overnight stay. Far from ideal, but it exposes the risks of cruising.

There's this little, exotic, unhidden gem of a port, about 50 miles off the coast of Florida which Carnival sometimes uses as a replacement port. That port is called FREEPORT. :eek: (If you haven't figured it out yet, I'm being sarcastic). :o

While a stop in Freeport isn't as idyllic as a stop in Half Moon Cay, I think it's still better than spending another day at sea (which isn't really that bad either).

As others have said, Half Moon Cay AND Grand Turk being scrapped on the same cruise isn't very likely (I've read plenty of Half Moon Cay being cancelled and replaced with a day at sea though).

I guess a stop in Freeport or Key West if a berth is available. If not, I certainly would return from my vacation very rested and relaxed. Also would be able to take full advantage of the adult drink package.:D Hangovers and port days don't mix.:(

Last April we were on that exact cruise and both ports were cancelled. After a day and a half steaming to Grand Turk, high winds made it impossible to safely dock the ship, so we turned and headed to HMC. That evening at dinner, we were advised that similar conditions would make tendering impossible, so we proceeded directly to Nassau for an overnight stay. Far from ideal, but it exposes the risks of cruising.

well, there is always a first time:p

As I said "rare occurrence";)

We'll see, as we are doing HMC, GT and Nassau the end of April:cool:

There's this little, exotic, unhidden gem of a port, about 50 miles off the coast of Florida which Carnival sometimes uses as a replacement port. That port is called FREEPORT. :eek: (If you haven't figured it out yet, I'm being sarcastic). :o

:D:D:D

I know your "gem" very well. It is less than 4 hours away by boat from my house. More of a pebble than a gem.:D

well, since you don't tender in to GT, I think it would be a rare occurrence.

Actually we have missed Grand Turk because of the winds....

this small port does not own a tug, so even if the winds are just a bit stronger than usual...it can be an issue.

The day we missed Grand Turk...it was a beautiful day...just breezy...but we did not think anything of it, until it was announced we would not be stopping there....

the Captain tried to dock 3 times...but these huge ships are just giant sails and when the wind gusts a little...the ship could take out the pier....

well, since you don't tender in to GT, I think it would be a rare occurrence.

That's the only port we've missed! I call it my drive by as we got close enough to see the Welcome to Grand Turk sign then just turned and sailed away! Seemed nice enough at the time but maybe the dock isn't as protected as others so waves are more of an issue.

Trying again next month and for a first time visit to HMC! :D

We missed both ports on our jan 21 sailing on the Destiny . Due to propulsion problems. We went to Nassau, Freeport, and Key West instead, which stunk for us as it was the second leg of our B2B and we had Key West and Nassau on the first leg. Not caused because of weather, but it can happen.

Just booked for 2014...HMC & Grand Turk again....hope for better luck this time!!!!

Archived