RCCL Rhapsody - options for a private party on board?

AussieFZ

We are a group of 34, 20 adults and 14 young children cruising on the Rhapsody in April. For 4 weeks I have contacted various people at RCCL trying to book a dinner for 20 adults in Chops Grille to celebrate my 40th birthday. I have only been offered a 6pm sitting time (which is unworkable as we need to give our kids dinner and put them to bed before going out).

Has anyone had a private birthday party on board? What options are available?

I can't seem to find the contact details of anyone at RCCL who can assist me (if anyone has a direct contact that would be much appreciated.

Please help!

We are a group of 34, 20 adults and 14 young children cruising on the Rhapsody in April. For 4 weeks I have contacted various people at RCCL trying to book a dinner for 20 adults in Chops Grille to celebrate my 40th birthday. I have only been offered a 6pm sitting time (which is unworkable as we need to give our kids dinner and put them to bed before going out).

Has anyone had a private birthday party on board? What options are available?

I can't seem to find the contact details of anyone at RCCL who can assist me (if anyone has a direct contact that would be much appreciated.

Please help!

I'm kind of confused. Why do you need to give the kids dinner before you go out? If they are old enough to be left in the stateroom by themselves, they should be old enough to go to the main dining room or the buffet or order room service by themselves.

A group of 20 would take up most, if not all of a specialty restaurant. If they give you a later time, they would not be able to "sell" smaller tables during the evening. Whereas if you dine at 6 pm, they should be able to take reservations for 8:30 or 9 pm or after you are expected to leave. I would not expect the staff to be able arrange anything on board either as others will have made reservations throughout the evenings.

I'm kind of confused. Why do you need to give the kids dinner before you go out? If they are old enough to be left in the stateroom by themselves, they should be old enough to go to the main dining room or the buffet or order room service by themselves.

A group of 20 would take up most, if not all of a specialty restaurant. If they give you a later time, they would not be able to "sell" smaller tables during the evening. Whereas if you dine at 6 pm, they should be able to take reservations for 8:30 or 9 pm or after you are expected to leave. I would not expect the staff to be able arrange anything on board either as others will have made reservations throughout the evenings.

Chops Grille has a listed capacity of 74. My experience is that the later dining time (7:30 or later) fill up quickly and I'm sure they hold back some space for for reservations from suite passengers. I wouldn't be surprised at all if 6:00 is really the only time that will work without bumping others that have already made reservations.

I'm pretty sure Royal Caribbean limits the time when groups can book specialty dining. Although your group is special to you, if they basically shut down the restaurant for you in the middle of the evening then many other passengers will not have access.

The thing about cruising is that you can't just say you want a private event - unless you are a huge group (like a couple of hundred people). Cruise ships aren't like hotels - they don't have private rooms that they book out.

Just wondering what other options there are for celebrations on board.

I am disappointed about Chops Grille, but I am sure I will be able to find alternative ways to celebrate!:):) If it is a capacity of 74 then you would think they could accomodate 20 though.:confused:

I need a later booking time so we can put the kids under 3 into group babysitting after dinner and the older kids (all under 8) into the evening session of kids club.

Has anyone had a function at a bar or other venue?

Thanks

If it is a capacity of 74 then you would think they could accomodate 20 though.:confused:

Thanks

You said yourself that they CAN accommodate your group. Just not at your preferred time/date.

If you used a travel agent he/she can easily arrange a group party in one of the lounges or public rooms. But, again, you might have to be flexible as the more desirable locations/dates/times may already be spoken for.

You need to check about the group babysitting time for the under 3's because I believe that doesn't start until after the regular kids club hours, which means 10pm. You can book in cabin sitters, which runs $19 an hour, for no more than two kids. If there are more than two, you have to hire another sitter.

You need to check about the group babysitting time for the under 3's because I believe that doesn't start until after the regular kids club hours, which means 10pm. You can book in cabin sitters, which runs $19 an hour, for no more than two kids. If there are more than two, you have to hire another sitter.

The nursery hours are all day and evening. Depending on how many 6-36 month olds are in your group though, they may not have availability for all of them. Same with in cabin babysitting - you need 2 babysitters per family of 2 kids. 14 kids requiring babysitters would probably mean they run out of babysitters. Some families bring their own nanny or babysitter.

Archived