The FIRST thing you'll notice about Holland America is..."

Tapi

I know this originally was about pleasant things you notice. But somehow

the elderly became in vogue. Just talk to these people, and many

talk about their days on Iwo Jima, Battle of the Bulge, Heartbreak Ridge

Midway, and oh yes one I talked to on the Prinsendam, He had a scooter,

because he was blown off a ship at Pearl Harbor and had a hard time

getting around. To me they add to a cruise not detract from it.

Well said LidoJohnny,

Bernie and I are heading to Hawaii from San Diego on the Zaandam on March 9th.... Hopefully we will meet some of these amazing patriots that gave so much for our freedom. Both our late Dad's and Uncle's served in Europe and the Pacific and we are looking forward to our Day at Pearl Harbor. The knowledge these folks have will soon be lost, as we loose so many of our veteran's daily. Thanks for your thoughts.:)

Ann and Bernie aka Grannie and Papa

One thing is nice , not many rude people like some on here. :D Bill

Just stating the facts. I'm nearly 50. On a tender to Cabo, there were 100 passengers. Of those 100, 90% were obviously older than me. 8 were using walkers and 5 others were hooked up to mobile oxygen tanks.

I know this originally was about pleasant things you notice. But somehow the elderly became in vogue. To me they add to a cruise not detract from it.

I'm the OP.

First of all, I want to take a moment and thank everybody for your comments. They have been great. :)

About the "old people" comments: When we started planning this cruise to Alaska, we wanted something different than what we've been used to. In fact, the older demographic is one of the reasons why we picked this cruise. When we narrowed it down to Holland America and my wife asked what would be different, I did mention to her that most likely our fellow cruisers would be older. She said "book it!". :D

Even though we are in our mid-late thirties, when we cruise, we normally gravitate towards people that are older (and normally more traveled) than we are. We truly enjoy living vicariously through other's travel experiences, and as someone mentioned, some of the stories are fascinating.

We are not "party people". If the ship didn't have a night club or bars late night bars, we would never notice. You are more likely to find us sitting at the atrium listening to a classical music trio while enjoying a cocktail, than listening to the DJ up on the Lido deck while participating in pool games.

This cruise will be a family vacation (14 family members ranging from 74 years old to 17 months old). Many have cruised before, but for others, this will be their first time cruising. I was actually pleasantly surprised about the fresh flowers that some of you have mentioned. As insignificant as this may seem, it's something that my 70 year old mother ALWAYS notices no matter where she goes. (In fact, she took a 12 night Mediterranean cruise, and her first comment when she got home was that the flowers on the ship were plastic, haha)

While we have enjoyed our previous cruises and they have met our needs, we wanted a more elegant and sophisticated ambiance for this cruise to Alaska. We wanted to break away from the constant announcements, hairy chest contests, bartending competitions, the loud decor, the meatloaf, fried chicken and mac & cheese. When we checked prices and we realized that Holland America's prices to Alaska were comparable (actually a bit cheaper) than most other cruise lines that week, we jumped on it.

Even though we are very excited, we are a bit uneasy since this will be a new experience (I believe you can call it "fear of the unknown"). That's why I started this thread. I'm sure our experience will be great. I still haven't read one thing that has made me believe that I've made the wrong choice selecting the Westerdam for our upcoming cruise...

I'm the OP.

First of all, I want to take a moment and thank everybody for your comments. They have been great. :)

About the "old people" comments: When we started planning this cruise to Alaska, we wanted something different than what we've been used to. In fact, the older demographic is one of the reasons why we picked this cruise. When we narrowed it down to Holland America and my wife asked what would be different, I did mention to her that most likely our fellow cruisers would be older. She said "book it!". :D

Even though we are in our mid-late thirties, when we cruise, we normally gravitate towards people that are older (and normally more traveled) than we are. We truly enjoy living vicariously through other people's travel experiences, and as someone mentioned, some of the stories are fascinating.

We are not "party people". If the ship didn't have a night club or bars that are open late into the night, we would never notice. You are more likely to find us sitting at the atrium listening to a classical music trio while enjoying a cocktail, than listening to the DJ up on the Lido deck while participating in pool games.

This cruise will be a family vacation (14 family members ranging from 74 years old to 17 months old). Many have cruised before, but for others, this will be their first time cruising. I was actually pleasantly surprised about the fresh flowers that some of you have mentioned. As insignificant as this may seem, it's something that my 70 year old mother ALWAYS notices no matter where she goes. (In fact, she took a 12 night Mediterranean cruise, and her first comment when she got home was that the flowers on the ship were plastic, haha)

While we have enjoyed our previous cruises and they have met our needs, we wanted a more elegant and sophisticated ambiance for this cruise to Alaska. We wanted to break away from the constant announcements, hairy chest contests, bartending competitions, the loud decor, the meatloaf, fried chicken and mac & cheese. When we checked prices and we realized that Holland America's prices to Alaska were comparable (actually a bit cheaper) than most other cruise lines that week, we jumped on it.

Even though we are very excited, we are a bit uneasy since this will be a new experience (i believe you can call it "fear of the unknown"). That's why I started this thread. I'm sure our experience will be great. I still haven't read one thing that has made me believe that I've made the wrong choice selecting the Westerdam for our upcoming cruise...

In my opinion you have made the best choice. We have been on 12 HAL trips and also been on Westerdam before. We are going May 18 on it to Alaska. My Wife and I are a little older LOL :D but in good shape . My mid 50's son and his wife are also going on this Cruise with us. Bill

In my opinion you have made the best choice.

Thanks! We are truly looking forward to it! In fact, we are sitting here looking at the different excursions and activities. :D

Even though we are in our mid-late thirties, when we cruise, we normally gravitate towards people that are older (and normally more traveled) than we are. We truly enjoy living vicariously through other's travel experiences, and as someone mentioned, some of the stories are fascinating.

This.

We're kind of in the same situation as you. I just turned 40, and my DW is in her mid-30's. we also tend to gravitate to the older demographic. On our Med. cruise on RCCL last summer, we became friends with an older couple (probably in their 80's) who had cruised all over the world. I could listen to their stories for days...including a story about anti-pirate precautions that the ship had to employ on a cruise in the Indian Ocean.

We're looking forward to our first HAL cruise very much. There's more to cruising than belly-flop contests!!!

:D

Tapi,

What type of cabin did you book?

Usually OV and above have bathtubs, the room service (hot) is amazing

The Wine policy! Fresh flowers...

Room service from MDR...

You can buy liquor to your room for a great price, just got a liter of malibu through ships services for $30.

I hate to break it to you, folks, but many of the things you're describing are not exclusive to HAL.

Bathtubs in OV and above is exclusive to HAL

Wine Policy is exclusive to HAL

Writing in on room tag menu is exclusive to HAL

MDR room service in a standard cabin is semi exclusive to HAL, (RCCL used to but not any longer)

Requesting Fresh Fruit in every room that is not a suite? HAL

Just to name a few.

Tapi,

What type of cabin did you book?

We have 4 cabins. 1 will be an SY suite on deck 6. 1 cabin will be a VC balcony on deck 5, and 2 cabins will be D oceanviews on deck 1 (the oceanview people are those with toddler aged kids who are a bit concerned about having a balcony :o)

Hi Everyone. Well Wow! I'm so glad that I read through this thread! After a number of cruises on the same 2 lines, DH and I were feeling a little burned-out of cruises. :eek: We took a couple of years off cruising. Lately, I've been thinking that what we need is to try a new cruise line - inject new blood, so to speak. After reading the replies to this thread, I know that HAL will be the new line for us to try. So much to like about this line it seems. I'm going over to the HAL website now to take a look at possible cruises for us to book. It's so great to feel that future cruise excitement again! Thanks to all who responded here.

Elf

DH and I are going on our first HAL in 8 days and it is wonderful to hear all the wonderful things to look forward too. Thanks for the info.

For all of you going on the Alaska cruise, welcome! You are coming at a great time.

Bon voyage!

Bathtubs in OV and above is exclusive to HAL

Wine Policy is exclusive to HAL

Writing in on room tag menu is exclusive to HAL

MDR room service in a standard cabin is semi exclusive to HAL, (RCCL used to but not any longer)

Requesting Fresh Fruit in every room that is not a suite? HAL

Just to name a few.

Still doesn't negate the fact that many things described in this thread are not exclusive to HAL.

I am really looking forward to this!

My last cruise the bed was horrible :(

We're getting ready to book our 3rd cruise. We considered several other lines, but have decided to book with HAL again.....because of the beds lol I can overlook a lot, but because of a very bad back and sleep apnea, give me a horrible bed and it's going to make my vacation horrible. HALs beds are fantastic!

Archived