The FIRST thing you'll notice about Holland America is..."

Tapi

Fresh flowers! Such small things make a big difference.

Lack of neon and constant paging

The quiet confidence that they are doing things the right way

I wish I had better words but the time and space to do it your way...no subtle pressure to be something you are not or participate in things and games you are not. No hairy legs or belly flop contests. No pressure to have that extra drink or party because it is the 'fun'ship. Just be, relax and enjoy.

Great crew,great itinerary.

You can find what you are looking for if you want to look for it, nothing is forced on you.

Perhaps it is the understated Dutch way but it works for me.

The lack of a "crowded" feeling, less pax and smaller ship. Another poster said it, "no neon", flashing lights, loud music everywhere, or constant announcements. You can actually find areas on the HAL ship where it si peaceful and quiet so you can sit and enjoy the beauty of the ocean.

Great food and friendly service. It is enough for me.

Some of the things that I always notice:

1. The dark blue hull, reminds me of the old ocean liners of days gone by.

2. Fresh flowers.

3. Real towels (not paper) in the public rest rooms.

4. Comfy beds!

5. Larger staterooms than other lines, with more storage space.

6. No neon, much more elegant in design and decor.

7. Smaller ships with more quiet spaces.

8. Wrap around promenade.

9. Real hand dipped ice cream with no fees attached.

10. Fresh O.J. in the mornings.

These are just a few - I'm sure you'll be adding your own! :D

what will be the first thing I'll notice about sailing on Holland America

Based on what you're used to, I'd say the first thing you'll notice will be the more relaxed atmosphere when you board the ship. It's not as instantly frenetic as the others are.

The most comfortable, best beds on the high seas!:)

Fresh squeezed OJ, cinnamon ice cream, chocolate croissants, chocolate bread pudding, Lido buffet - gotta love the eggs benedict station, turkey club and chocolate cake from the room service menu, mango margaritas, oatmeal raisin cookies, hot chocolate w/a shot of Baileys by the aft pool while sailing thru Glacier Bay.:p

Like an English Muffin;), the ship has plenty of nooks and crannies to get away from it all and gaze out at the sea.

Personable, friendly, helpful, accomodating, and always smiling crew - if they can't get it done, no one can.

Best Unlimited Laundry package ever - pack half the clothing and take advantage of this wonderful, reasonably priced service.

The Crows Nest for amazing views and quiet afternoons enjoying the spectacular scenery.

"Secret decks" on several ships. Shhhhhhh....don't tell anyone;).

A true wrap around Promenade deck - no going up or down stairs or having to back track - a purely nautical experience.

Free room service, hot food selection room service menus, ordering off the MDR menu for dinner, in-cabin robes and fresh fruit - in EVERY cabin catagory from the Penthouse to the tiniest Inside cabin.

Feeling pampered and special from the time you walk across the gangway onto the ship - and having the smiling crew greet you with a huge smile and a "Welcome Home." Sigh....nothing finer.

Hi:

We will be taking our first Holland America cruise in June. I have bounced between Carnival and Royal Caribbean during the last 10 years (Platinum on both), but I'm ready for a different experience.

So in your opinion, what will be the first thing I'll notice about sailing on Holland America (that will be different from what I'm "used" to)?

I know it's a bit subjective, but I will greatly appreciate any input. :) Thanks.

First thing you will notice is all the old people.

First thing you will notice is all the old people.

Our first HAL cruise.... I was sitting in the MDR and each successive table came in older and older... First it was a table of canes, then one with a couple of walkers, then one with a woman in a scooter, then a wheelchair. I was truly waiting for someone to be wheeled in on a gurney with an IV pole.

Doesn't bother me a bit, in fact it's a plus. The only thing that concerns me is rough weather and these old folks having to look after themselves. But I think it's lovely.

Our first HAL cruise.... I was sitting in the MDR and each successive table came in older and older... First it was a table of canes, then one with a couple of walkers, then one with a woman in a scooter, then a wheelchair. I was truly waiting for someone to be wheeled in on a gurney with an IV pole.

Doesn't bother me a bit, in fact it's a plus. The only thing that concerns me is rough weather and these old folks having to look after themselves. But I think it's lovely.

We've been cruising since 1988, we've seen people in scooters and wheel chairs -- on our Noordam cruise the people in scooters were the obese cruisers not the elders, most of the elders only had canes, and some walkers. Of course the extreme elders had wheel chairs but they were in the minority.

I have to say that after having done a Med cruise and a Caribbean cruise I did see the odd walker and the odd cane but nothing that would suggest a nursing home at sea. In fact I saw nothing more on HAL that I would expect to see on any cruise ship. I do take some heat at work for cruising with the old folks' but I consider the quality of pax a plus not a minus on HAL. I appreciate the pace and ambiance- if I wanted a plastic guitar filled with beer then I know where to get one and that's Vegas and I know how to get there.

Sometimes I read the old people posts and wonder if I'm I'm just blind to it but having met so many wonderful engaging people I just am not seeing it. Who cares if you have white hair or look old? It's what's inside that counts.

BTW on my last cruise in the Caribbean I was pleasantly surprised at how many younger to middle aged people were dressed up and enjoying the MDR's formal nights. Lots of kids in dresses and suits and ties looking and acting their best. It was a pleasure!

I know this originally was about pleasant things you notice. But somehow

the elderly became in vogue. Just talk to these people, and many

talk about their days on Iwo Jima, Battle of the Bulge, Heartbreak Ridge

Midway, and oh yes one I talked to on the Prinsendam, He had a scooter,

because he was blown off a ship at Pearl Harbor and had a hard time

getting around. To me they add to a cruise not detract from it.

Archived