Diamond Princess photo/video review Alaska

Bimmer09

Thursday morning. Glacier Bay.

The good thing about this Vancouver to Whittier itinerary is that once you have passed through the ports you have two sea days and that usually means the view is the same hour after hour- endless sea. Nothing wrong with that but in this case the sea days involved sailing into some bays/fjords with rugged mountains and glaciers just a few hundred yards away. These are worth getting up early for, dressing in layers and hoisting a camera over your shoulder.

This morning began in thick fog. I was on deck around 6 a.m after an HC breakfast and the ship was sounding it's horn every two minutes until 6.30 when the fog began to lift significantly.

IMG_2615.JPG

IMG_2624.JPG

IMG_2625.JPG

IMG_2626.JPG

As the morning progressed we moved slowly, further into the Bay and saw our first glaciers. The decks were filling with people and their cameras. Bar staff had rolling trolleys with hot drinks (hot chocolate, coffee, tea) and liqors to mix with them to make variations of Irish coffee. On MUTS the stream from the webcam above the bridge showed what was up ahead.

IMG_2627.JPG

IMG_2628.JPG

IMG_2629.JPG

Carol, after breakfast, took her place in the Sanctuary, where I would later join her to take photos of the people standing atop the bridge.

Photos are shown in chronological order and alternated with video shots so I was kept busy.

IMG_2630.JPG

IMG_2631.JPG

We passed one of the two NCL ships we had met in port, as she was making her way out of the bay and back to the open sea.

IMG_2632.JPG

Well it has been a couple of days since I got any feedback on this epic but regardless, every journey has it's beginning and it's end so thanks to all who have followed along this far. I am going to continue, of course: those of you on the fence about Alaska may have been inspired by now to book a cruise and see for yourself. I would be amazed if you were disappointed, but feel free to come back to this thread in the months ahead if you are and let me know.

We are coming to the end of the edited Glacier Bay photos...

IMG_2641.JPG

IMG_2642.JPG

The deck cam showing on MUTS

IMG_2643.JPG

Next up- Glacier Bay video including an eagle taking off from an ice flow near our balcony.

Norris: I am sooooo sorry your "journey" will be ending soon. I check cc several times a day to see if you have added a video or photographs. DH's favorite place to cruise is Alaska. We have been six times. He would love to go again, but it will not be this summer. His health would just not allow it. Maybe things will be better and we can go in 2014. He has enjoyed the photographs and videos. Me too! It is almost like being there. I love the Vancouver to Anchorage sailing. For the last two times, we have done the R/T Seattle as it is easier for DH in flying. We are able to do nonstop Charlotte to Seattle.

Your style in writing is soooo enjoyable. I think I mentioned in a previous post that you must be a writer by trade. Will check cc again tonight before I go to bed.

P.S. I have a childhood friend (we went to elementary school together for a few years before she left the mountains of Southwest Virginia for the city of Chicago). Me, still in the same place, just across the "county road" from my childhood home. We e-mail each other at least once a week. She lives in Alqonguin. We have been friends for 60 plus years!

Norris ... the review is GREAT. I agree, it will be hard to see it end. I check numerous times each day to see what has been added. I'm hooked.

We are going to Glacier Bay in May on the Grand Princess, and tomorrow I will be checking the itineraries (fingers crossed they will be posted) for 2014. We have been twice before, but never to Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier. Have seen Tracy Arm and Misty Fjord.

Alaska is our favorite cruise destination and your review just reconfirms why.

Norris- I am still here too, watching in awe. As I said before we are on Diamond in Sept for north to south trip and I am hooked on your review too. I know it is alot of work and really appreciate all the time and energy you have devoted to the photos and videos and witty narration. A BIG THANKS!!! :)

Kathie

Besides the glaciers that day I had taken some more ship shots so I will put them up now as the next video segment won't be ready until late tonight.

IMG_2616.JPG

IMG_2614.JPG

IMG_2619.JPG

Explorers interior

IMG_2617.JPG

IMG_2618.JPG

Norris- I am still here too, watching in awe. As I said before we are on Diamond in Sept for north to south trip and I am hooked on your review too. I know it is alot of work and really appreciate all the time and energy you have devoted to the photos and videos and witty narration. A BIG THANKS!!! :)

Kathie

Hi Kathie,

This is Ann from our thread for the September cruise. I too have been following Norris's great pictures and narration and videos. Our trip cannot get here soon enough. I am already thinking of going back again next year in 2014. I really do get so excited about Alaksa and have been there 7 times. Beautiful country.

Norris, just loved your journey... Followed it right along.

We were in Alaska in 1998, and have a return trip planned for this May.

By reading your journal and looking at your pictures/videos, it's really made my return visit that much more anticipated!

Thanks for taking the time and effort to share with everyone.

Hi- just arrived home at 11pm and now to have dinner (yikes!-how European!)

So no more "stuff" tonight but I'll be up again at 5 a.m and hope to put something up then....otherwise the Motherlode will hit these pages on saturday when I am in my Michigan retreat.

Your comments and enthusiasm are very much appreciated!

Norris

Thanks to all for reminding me you are there.

More in the morning and then more on Saturday when I am off work again.

Norris

Dinner is late tonight. I found your review and have been mesmerized! If I was on the fence...I have now jumped over! Our first big cruise is next month Syd-Honolulu. I know already, Alaska is next!!!

Thanks so much for all your work.:):)

An Aussie with the travel bug!!

Karen.

Norris' date='

We just do not want it to all end. Fantastic job. Thanks for all your time.[/quote']

None of us wants this to ever end!

I can see me re-reading the review every day till i sail in May!

Cheers from 'Down Under'

sharon

Back again and I have uploaded 3 videos taken in Glacier Bay which are in the youtube ovens, baking. I have been able to see one so far so I'll post the link URL and the Description for the search engine.

I have edited them down to avoid boredom as glaciers don't actually do much to entertain, apart from being centuries old layers of ice, snow and rock moving towards the sea and then slowly slowly falling into the water with a big crack and a splash. Sometimes you are lucky to be there exactly when this happens...you hear a distant crack and then a mighty rumble as tons of ancient ice lose their grip on the miles-long mass pushing them to a watery grave,where they may become icebergs and go looking for ships to menace.

Much of the ice just floats away in manageable chunks though to become resting places for eagles and seals.

People are drawn to the upper decks to watch and to listen to the commentary from a naturalist who is brought out to the ship as she enters the bay ,later to be picked up by a National Parks boat. The narration,part of which I have on one of the clips can be very poetic and moving. You have to be there to take the visuals and poetry in and let them both work on your mind and your heart.

This is why we (I) travel.

Anyway....here is the first of the three. It opens with the foghorn at around 6 a.m as we enter Glacier Bay

If the URL fails then search youtube for Diamond Princess Glacier Bay

Norris

Even with a good medium-iMovie- it is hard to get exact edits and cuts and sometimes a key word which takes half a second to say gets lost in the storyboard building....I am saying at the start of this that it is really....foggy.

But foggy got cut off during the process.

Learning by your mistakes is "fun" though. Keeps me on my toes!

More in the morning as the other 2 videos are still in the youtube queue.

Norris

Norris, just wanted to add that I too have enjoyed reading and looking at your beautiful pictures of Alaska:) Thankyou for taking the time to do it.

Like others that have posted, we are on the Diamond to Alaska in May, starting out in Beijing, so it has been even more special to know it will soon be our turn.......perhaps i can return the favour and post about our trip on our return:p

Chez

xx

Norris, just wanted to add that I too have enjoyed reading and looking at your beautiful pictures of Alaska:) Thankyou for taking the time to do it.

Like others that have posted, we are on the Diamond to Alaska in May, starting out in Beijing, so it has been even more special to know it will soon be our turn.......perhaps i can return the favour and post about our trip on our return:p

Chez

xx

Yes- please write a review....starting out in beijing...that should be different and something way beyond my experience.

Youtube has yet to load the 2nd two videos I uploaded 5 hours ago...

Norris

Yes- please write a review....starting out in beijing...that should be different and something way beyond my experience.

Youtube has yet to load the 2nd two videos I uploaded 5 hours ago...

Norris

Norris, I wonder why YouTube is so slow posting your videos. I know how frustrating that can be.

We appreciate all the time and effort you have put into this review and honestly hate to see it end soon.

I think you are just going to have to book another cruise so we can continue to follow your adventures.