Upgrade to OV, which side of ship?

TruRed76

I am thinking about upgrading from an inside to an OV as there has been a big recent price drop on our cruise. I have two questions first though. We are sailing on the Summit out of San Juan, the Barbados itinerary. Is there a side of the ship that would be better to be on?

Also, we are currently in the lowly depths of the ship on level 2, near midship as I do have a tendency for sea sickness and don't tolerate the medications very well. The OV cabins available are on level 3, just slightly more forward. We currently have cabins directly above us and, on level 3, there would be one of the lounges (if memory serves correct) above us. Has anyone experienced huge issues with this? According to the deck plan sites I have researched, I didn't read about any problems.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Mid-ship, and lower decks are actually the best location if you are prone to motion sickness (as I am!) If you are slightly forward, that should be OK, but you do not want to be too far forward.

When we have an OV or Balcony cabin, we always choose port-side, as it's fun to see what's going on when the ship is coming into port, and while in port. Others prefer starboard side, which usually will have water views. I think it's personal preference.

Whatever you decide, have a great cruise!

Thanks for the response. I definitely want to stay lower and as close to midship as possible. I am hoping to not have to wear the patch for 7 days straight as I have major withdrawal issues after wearing it for only a couple of days.

Port side sounds fun as I am a people watcher. I just wasn't sure if you had better views of passing islands after you left the port on one side of the ship versus the other.

I am thinking about upgrading from an inside to an OV as there has been a big recent price drop on our cruise. I have two questions first though. We are sailing on the Summit out of San Juan, the Barbados itinerary. Is there a side of the ship that would be better to be on?

Also, we are currently in the lowly depths of the ship on level 2, near midship as I do have a tendency for sea sickness and don't tolerate the medications very well. The OV cabins available are on level 3, just slightly more forward. We currently have cabins directly above us and, on level 3, there would be one of the lounges (if memory serves correct) above us. Has anyone experienced huge issues with this? According to the deck plan sites I have researched, I didn't read about any problems.

Thanks in advance!

During their refurb last year, they added some new OV cabins on the starboard side -- 3112-3144. I would grab one of those. There used to be conference rooms in that area, and they have huge windows. We were in 3112 last year, and just booked Summit in the same room in 2014.

Sorry to disabuse you of this notion, but getting a cabin on the port side doesn't mean you will be facing the port when you dock. The port side is the left side of the ship when facing forward. Starboard is the right side. Ships can and do dock with either side facing the port. It's all up to the harbormaster.

Sorry to disabuse you of this notion, but getting a cabin on the port side doesn't mean you will be facing the port when you dock. The port side is the left side of the ship when facing forward. Starboard is the right side. Ships can and do dock with either side facing the port. It's all up to the harbormaster.

I did know that from some sailing lessons many eons ago! I figured from the way people were talking the port side would always be next to the pier but I guess that isn't the case.

Also, thanks for the tip on the bigger windows!

Check your sun exposure on the ship. Check the itinerary for directions. Do you want more or less sun in the morning or the afternoon.

I prefer the side with less sunshine (north) on the Atlantic, or the morning sun side in the Caribbean because I'm out drinking coffee and don't care about the rising sun glare in my cabin.

In the afternoon, I want to open the curtains and enjoy the sea with no sunset glare in my face.

Confusing. I guess.

jls

I have cruised in an OV cabin. Are the windows so large that there is major sun exposure?

I have cruised many times in OV cabins, and even with the larger picture windows, I never felt there was major sun exposure.

Thanks for the thoughts! Just upgraded to an OV, one deck up but still midship. $60 total for the upgrade. Decided to go starboard side, mostly because I like the name better :)

Thanks for the thoughts! Just upgraded to an OV, one deck up but still midship. $60 total for the upgrade. Decided to go starboard side, mostly because I like the name better :)

Great price, sounds as if it will be totally worth it. Congratulations.

I guess the side you should choose is the outside!:rolleyes:

Lol! That is what being on these boards can do to you sometimes - make you question every little decision but you need to realize that the only "bad" room is the one not on the ship!

Also, we are currently in the lowly depths of the ship on level 2, near midship as I do have a tendency for sea sickness and don't tolerate the medications very well.

I, too, have the joys of motion sickness...to an extreme at times. The pills knock me out for days and the bands make me feel even worse. OH HAPPY DAY when I read here on CC many years ago to try ginger capsules. It works! It really, really works! The key is to start taking them as directed 2-3 days BEFORE you get on the ship. Then continue doing so through the end of your cruise.

I buy whatever brand I find at my local grocery store. This has been life changing for me! If you give it a try, I sincerely hope you have as much luck as I have experienced with it!

Happy cruising :D

Archived